Other Canadian Cancer Story

Sorry for your family's inclusion into this horrific-unwanted club. Hopefully one day it will be totally disbanded.

I am surviving (living) with my cancer,
not a cancer survivor. Actually waiting (maybe today) for recent biopsy results to see how badly it might be back.

Outstanding site
for helpful cancer information and interaction with others......https://www.inspire.com/

LUNG-ADENOCARCINOMA specific site....... https://www.inspire.com/conditions/lung-adenocarcinoma

Excited — My heart is breaking for you and your family. I understand completely, as I lost my husband (age 55) to cancer ten years ago. It is a devastating loss and a most difficult journey.

We are here for you. I wish I could give you a hug.

excited family, I am sorry that your family is going through this right now. Sending you all positive thoughts and please know that this community supports you.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. Around the time that rodeo's husband passed away, I found out that my mom has pancreatic cancer. They were somewhat optimistic at first, but about a week ago they found it has spread and it's inoperable -- in fact, they can't do any type of treatment right now.

We're here to listen and support you. Thinking of your family.

Keeping you in my thoughts. I have been there with my dad. Cancer is an ugly, unforgiving, horrible beast.

I am overwhelmed by all of your support. It means so much and it helps. My thoughts are with everyone (so many) who is/ has dealt with cancer. I can't help but keep asking why. My husband has absolutely no risk factors. No one in his family has had cancer, he never smoke, and he is never around second hand smoke because of all my allergies. When I was younger only people who smoked seem to get lung cancer. I think I read that around 20% of all new cases are non/never smokers. Why? Don't get me wrong, no one should get cancer regardless of what they do or their family history, but I believe that if we paid more attention to the why then it may be easier to treat/ stop.

My husband's name is Mike, and I will refer to him by name from now on. Easier than typing "my husband". We have 3 kids. My 20 year-old son if currently at a local university but is transferring to one in Victoria in September to major in physics. My 17 year-old daughter is in grade 11 in a learn at home style program. The curriculum is online and she goes to "school" to write tests and to do art. My 9 year-old daughter is home-schooled. She is the one I am most worried about. I can't tell if she doesn't quite grasp what is happening or if she is just in denial.

I am the one who is in charge of all banking, paperwork, etc.. It is kind of a reversal in gender roles. Mike shops and I handle the business end of things! We have discussed getting me a power of attorney so that I can handle anything that comes up. Both cars are in his name because of his job. I am self-employed so it is hard to get bank loans, etc. I think that he is ready to have all the difficult conversations now.

Yesterday was a disaster. Mike had to have a follow-up chest x-ray after having 2 liters of fluid drained last week. Seeing as how there is no doctor interaction involved (usually) I asked my son to take him. 2 hours later Mike called from the emergency department at hospital! The x-ray tech had sent them there after the x-ray showed an extreme amount of fluid on his left side. You couldn't make out any organs as it was all white, which is bad. They eventually got around to draining another 2 liters, which is as much as they like to do at a time. Then they x-rayed him again and saw a small air-pocket above his lung. They were a bit concerned and said that he should spend the night and they could drain more fluid. So he stayed and they drained another 1.5 liters. So they drained a total of 3.5 liters one week after they drained 2 liters! The oncologist had said that his tumor is "weeping" and that is where the fluid is coming from. It also seems quite aggressive. This makes the oncologist believe that there is probably a mutation at work. So is that good or bad?? Aggressive probably means mutation which means better treatment but until it starts we are left with aggressive!

I just brought Mike home and he is now fast asleep on the sofa. Hopefully there will be no more surprises today. I didn't think I would have so much to update so soon. Hopefully the oncologist will phone today with the mutation test results. I really want to start treatment now. Thank you all so much again. This is my support group/ therapy session for now.

I am truly sorry to read what you and Mike are going through. Cancer is a beast. My Dad passed from lung cancer. He also never smoked and had no risk factors. Because he was so healthy, he was grossly mis-diagnosed countless times. Because of all of the misdiagnosis and wasted time, he passed less than three weeks after he was correctly diagnosed. Its been almost 13 years and it still shocks me.

I am praying for the mutation and quick treatment for him. Sometimes people respond really well to treatment. I actually know two people that have been living with lung cancer for over 4 years. Time is such a gift.

Many, many prayers for you, Mike and your sweet children.

I am so sorry for what you are going through, your family is in my thoughts :grouphug:.

I am the one who is in charge of all banking, paperwork, etc.. It is kind of a reversal in gender roles. Mike shops and I handle the business end of things! We have discussed getting me a power of attorney so that I can handle anything that comes up. Both cars are in his name because of his job. I am self-employed so it is hard to get bank loans, etc. I think that he is ready to have all the difficult conversations now.
Get the POA. Much easier to do when he can sign it. DH and I got it on each other early in our marriage, just in case.

Prayers for you, DH, your kids, and a cure for this terrible disease.

Bolded, is what I experienced with losing my Mom. So much is "fight, fight, be positive, fight." But you can't will cancer to go away.

A friend of mine whose son died of cancer. She has talked about how difficult it is when people talk about “winning the fight” against cancer etc because it makes it sound like he lost it.

I totally agree with both of you. Almost seven years ago, I was dealt a double cancer diagnosis, ovarian and uterine cancer. The ovarian cancer was/is especially scary, because there are not a lot of good outcomes with that type of cancer. Thankfully, I completed treatment and am still doing well. But, if I had a dollar for every time someone told me to be positive and fight (I carried on with my life, laid low when I was sick with chemo and bought myself an excellent wig, some people never even knew I was sick, so basically I was a positive/happy person without people feeling the need to constantly tell me that!!) I would be rich!!! I knew people meant well, but I hated hearing that!! It was almost like if I was a good girl and stayed positive and fought, everything would be all right, and of course when you are dealing with cancer, there is nothing further from the truth. Obviously , a positive attitude helps, but its such unfair advice. I was under a lot of pressure to keep our home life running and somewhat normal for our children, that the last thing that I constantly needed to hear, was "be positive" when I was already trying to do that to the best of my ability! What would have been REALLY helpful to hear, would have been, "you are doing GREAT!" "This is really unfair that this has happened to you, but I am so proud of you" etc.

Also my Dad was the most positive person I have ever known, even in the face of his own grim cancer diagnosis. If anyone could have fought cancer away with being "positive" and "fighting" it would have been him!

I am so sorry to read this. Your family is also in my thoughts and prayers. I have not had cancer, but like fortwildernessishome was saying, some people seem to expect those with cancer to remain upbeat and positive, but you don't have to feel anything except what you feel.

Oh, ExcitedFam, I’m so sorry your family is going through this. I saw your posts on Rodeo’s thread& want to extend prayers to you too.

I'm so sorry to hear your update Excited. I know so well those continual blows that you just want to come up for air, but then another one hits. You're often in my thoughts.

Praying for Mike, you, and your family. I’m so sorry you are all going through this. This is a good place for support. Keeping you all in though and prayer. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter