Other Canadian Cancer Story

Will be praying for your family. I don’t have anything to offer as far as advice. Just sending prayers and good vibes

More to update already! Mike is feeling a bit better after sleeping most of the last 24 hours. He would wake up to eat and use the bathroom and then he would go back to sleep. But he is up now and seems almost normal.

The oncologist called yesterday afternoon to let us know the test results. Good and bad news. Mike has the EGFR mutation we were hoping for, so he gets to take a pill once a day instead of having chemo. It was too late to get the prescription to our local hospital so we have to wait until Monday to pick it up and start. The bad news is that He also has a Pik3ca mutation which works against the EGFR mutation treatment. It is still recommended that he take the pill for the EGFR mutation but it won't work as well. It is a wait and see situation. Mike has to see someone at our local hospital in 4 weeks to get checked up on to assess if the pills are working. If not, then chemo. If anyone is interested the pill is called Afatinib. I like to write all details down in case I ever forget!!!

So Mike rests more over the weekend and then starts treatment on Monday. Supposedly he will know very fast if the pill is working, so I am hoping for immediate improvements. He also seems to be getting over the radiation fatigue bit by bit, unless he made to spend the night at emergency! So hoping for a calm, surprise free weekend. The biggest excitement yesterday was when he coughed up something that looked alien like. It was not mucus, it had tubes and little finger like filaments on the ends. It was too late to reach anyone about if we should keep it or take it somewhere, but my son took many pictures. Hoping it was something not needed!

Glad to hear about the treatment option with the mutation. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Many prayers that he responds well to the treatment and has much better days ahead! Keeping you in thought ..hugs

Love and best wishes and prayers to you and your family. Keep positive that the cancer will respond to the treatment.

In 2010 when my DS had just turned 4, I had a colonoscopy to deal with issues from hemorroids from the birth. They found a poylp that was sent for lab work. Gastro said... no, no ... ones this size that look like this are never cancerous --- there's nothing to worry about. We pretty much went on with our lives and were happy that it was behind us.

Three weeks later I got a call from the gastro --- saying they need me to come in to the office to review the pathology... it needed to be soon... it needed to be tomorrow... first thing in the morning as a matter of fact. To be honest I knew at that point -- the meeting the next day was to figure out next steps. We went and it was indeed cancerous. My DH's dad had died and was having a memorial in a city 2000 miles away --- so he went off to that while I dealt with taking care of DS (who also happened to be going through ADHD assessment during the same time frame) and having MRIs, CTs, other tests to see if it had spread, figuring out what needed to be done, another colonoscopy to tattoo where the original lesion had been removed in the space of a week. My experience in hospital after my surgery was not great (although the surgeon and his team did a great job.)

All this to say... when stuff goes sideways in a small way --- the Canadian system rocks --- about 4 weeks from initial colonoscopy to bowel resection for me. When stuff goes sideways in a big way --- no system works --- and you really do need deal with the stuff you can (don't let the rest overwhelm you) and let/ask others to help you. There will be those who just know you need help and will step up but there are also those who need you to tell them how they can help you (and they want to they just don't know how to deal with things of this magnitude -- but ask --- most will rise to the occasion.)

All you can do is have hope and love and try to do the best thing for those who matter to you. You will be your DH's best advocate in the system --- take care of your DH for sure but also take care of yourself and your kids.

I hope your DH has a good response to the treatment. Sending prayers to you and your family.

Thinking positive thoughts for you!

Thank you, but as expected the biopsy came back positive. I am a pessimist always expecting the worse and as such I am always right or pleasantly surprised. In this case I was right in that the cancer has returned but since I was expecting much worse I am pleasantly surprised that it isn't as bad as I thought.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this, Excited, thank you for the updates. I've been thinking of you and Rodeo very much the past few weeks. It breaks my heart how cruel cancer is, and how much sadness comes from it, it just isn't fair.
You are in my prayers, I hope the treatment works well for Mike.

Thank you, but as expected the biopsy came back positive. I am a pessimist always expecting the worse and as such I am always right or pleasantly surprised. In this case I was right in that the cancer has returned but since I was expecting much worse I am pleasantly surprised that it isn't as bad as I thought.

I'm sorry the biopsy was positive, but glad it isn't as bad as you feared. It's true, as a fellow pessimist, sometimes that works in our favor...saying a prayer for you, too.

Excited family, it IS good news that your husband has the EGFR mutation, even if he carries the other one, too. Hopefully between the immunotherapy and the chemotherapy, they'll be able to at least kick his cancer into remission. Even though it's not chemo, he'll need to rest as much as possible while being treated. Here's hoping things "work" for him. Know that we are all here thinking of you, and if you need to talk, we'll listen, send thoughts and prayers, and many, many hugs. Hang in there.

All this to say... when stuff goes sideways in a small way --- the Canadian system rocks --- about 4 weeks from initial colonoscopy to bowel resection for me. When stuff goes sideways in a big way --- no system works --- and you really do need deal with the stuff you can (don't let the rest overwhelm you) and let/ask others to help you. There will be those who just know you need help and will step up but there are also those who need you to tell them how they can help you (and they want to they just don't know how to deal with things of this magnitude -- but ask --- most will rise to the occasion.)

This is so true! I know I complained a lot on my thread about the pace of results and too much time without a treatment plan, but we were one of the cases that went sideways in a big way. For us a treatment plan really didn't matter, DH was too sick from the get go to even attempt treatment.

Excited, it sounds like you have some good possibilities for extending your DH's life and having the time with him that you deserve. I hope these next weeks go as well as they can for you!

I'm glad you're getting some more answers excited family. Waiting is the worst. And hoping that the treatment brings some easier times for your husband, for you all.

John VN :hug:.

I am so glad that you are getting some answers now and have a plan. Thinking of you all.

I am praying every day for all of you....Mike, Rodeo and John VN. Cancer doesn’t discriminate and it is awful and we need to find a cure.

In the meantime, for all of you suffering with, from or dealing with loved ones going through it, please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I don’t know anyone who has not been affected by it in some way, shape, or form.

Hugs to all!

I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like it's not as bad as you were expecting, which is good. Thinking of you, Excited/Mike, and Rodeo.

First of all, John VN my thoughts are with you and THANK YOU!!! The links you included to the Inspire website have been incredibly helpful. I spent way too long this weekend reading as much as I could find. There was even a post listing all the side effects of the drug Mike is now taking and advice on how to deal with them. Amazingly helpful. I hope everything goes as well as possible with you and your ordeal.

This weekend was great in that Mike found he could not nap! Finally it looks like the after effects of radiation are improving. He now stays awake all day. He still isn't doing much but he is awake and alert. I even saw a bit of his mischievous side on Sunday. We picked up his pills yesterday morning and he has now taken 2. He did feel a bit more fatigued yesterday evening but no other side effects yet. He is even wondering if he can go back to work this week!!!!

Mike has a CT scan tomorrow morning which will be what all future scans are compared to so that we know if the drug is working. I must admit that I am a lot more optimistic now than I was a week ago. This is one psychotic roller coaster ride that I really wish we could get off. Thanks everyone for your support. Sending support to everyone else dealing with this nightmare, especially Rodeo and John VN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter