PALS FOREVER 4/28/12 FANTASY PRE-Trip Report

MissSixty - Forgive me, but I would REALLY like to forget all the problems of that cruise because it upsets me to think about it. Let's just say that the ONLY things that went right or were good were that I had an excellent server (That always matters to me), the entertainers were good (excluding Villains, but that's just my personal opinion as people tend to either love or hate it), and CMs did TRY (but failed) to solve many of the problems. That was my "Murphy's Law" cruise from the moment I arrived at the terminal, and I would like to forget it! I will say that there were some very nice Dis-ers on that sailing, but I was so consumed by my never-ending series of problems that I didn't manage to connect with them much.

So please excuse me, but I REALLY need to leave that cruise in my past and think about the future. Movin' on now ... ;)

I totally understand. You know your next cruise has to run smoothly since the other one was so bad!

Well, I've had one since, on the Disney Dream earlier this month. Mixed reviews on that one, but I really enjoyed going Concierge, as I'll be doing on this one and the one after also. :goodvibes

I decided to try Duffy's new uniform on him today. I didn't quite get it properly adjusted on him for the photo, but here is a pic of him sitting on my carry-on bag for this cruise.

Uniform.jpg

It's only 44 days until we sail! :cheer2:

Awwww - So CUTE! :goodvibes

You definitely need to at least get started packing. You wouldn't want to cause undue stress for Shellie Mae! ;)

Well as you can see she is all ready to go and just counting down the days. (at the time of writing this post it's: 36 Days! )

I'm the type who "packs in my head" and physically places it in the suitcase the night before. I'll do lists so I know what I need to bring. One of my lists is the "what would I die not having?" Okay, maybe not die...but those things that would really bum me out if I forgot them.

I'm trying to be organized and really plan out my outfits and what I can mix and match. I am going to do some shopping. This cruise has been coming for so long that I feel I definitely deserve and should spring for some new outfits!

Ah, I can hardly wait. I am going to enjoy, relax and definitely tune out of the real world this trip. No cell, no computer and no CNN all day. (my Dad has it on ALL day long) I'm going to take full advantage of our bump out veranda, the concierge lounge and sundeck, and just immerse myself in a week of enjoyment!

I haven't done much shopping except for a couple of things I needed. I'd like to get a new sun hat in the rare instance that I might place myself IN the sun - LOL. Holly - YOU know what I'm talking about! :beach:

What I did do was dig out many of my "old" dresses, including a very old one I had somehow never even worn. I may not be "trendy" on this sailing, but I'll be a bit different from my norm, just for the fun of it. After all, it's Disney!
emothula.gif

Going NON-Tech: Since I am CONSTANTLY "wired" (or wireless) at home, I like to totally escape that when on vacation. My smartphone will remain OFF unless I want to record any video with it, since it does better video than my pocket-sized digital camera I'm bringing (leaving the DSLR home again!). I never even switch on the TV while cruising (although I've often had to switch it off when it automatically comes on!). I don't like to stare at screens when I'm on vacation!

Yep - I, too, plan to spend A LOT of time on our extended verandah, probably quite a bit of time in the Concierge Lounge for snacks and beverages (with my back to the TV - haha), and a reasonable amount of time on the private Sun Deck if the weather is not rainy or unbearably (for me) warm.

I want to do full-service breakfast in a restaurant (preferably Royal Court) most mornings (including our Duffy & Shellie Mae gathering on Monday), a bit of room service, and most likely have dinner in our suite one evening just to see how that is.

Other Stuff: If it doesn't conflict with other priorities, I'd also like to do the wine tasting and margarita tasting, even though I'm not much of a drinker. I intend to walk/jog on deck 4 each morning if possible, if not then possibly evening. I don't want to miss the the Captain's Reception, the Castaway Club reception, and the Concierge Character Meet 'n' Greet. Some things may conflict with others, so we'll have to see.

Not sure about port days, but I DO like the little Punta Langosta mall near the dock. There is a young artist I want to try to find again.

And I am VERY much looking forward to our server! ;)

Still reading along ladies...we went to Disney SEA two days ago. I saw alot of Duffy and Sallie Mae and thought of this TR.

One question...what can you tell me about the wine tasting? Cost etc. I just recently started enjoying learning about wines and tink this is something I would enjoy.

Wine Tasting. We did this on the Magic back in 2007 and I enjoyed it. Back then I think it was $15. They gave a selection of wines. They had a placemat with maybe five circles. On each circle was a glass of wine. Each was a different type.

I'm not a huge drinker, but I want to go to several of the tastings on this cruise. I like margaritas, so if they have that I will definitely try to go. Probably the wine tasting again as well. I am not sure, but they may be $20 pp now.

I might be interested in the Mixology one. I'd like to learn how to make different drinks. Maybe an Apple Black Martini?

If the person heading the tastings is knowledgeable, they are quite fascinating.

33 Days! :goodvibes

I'm not going anywhere near WDW within a couple of weeks of the cruise. Spring break, crowds, potentially catching something. Naw. I'm going to do EVERYTHING possible to stay healthy and that means avoiding those crowds. I don't even want so much as the sniffles! :rolleyes1

We'll have our own party - either here at the house, or possibly at the Downwind and THEN the house! In any case, Duffy, Shellie Mae & Chip will be participating. :cool1:

We also refuse to go near disneyland before a cruise for fear of catching something. I actually pulled my son out of preschool this week just to keep him from being exposed to any extra germs before we cruise on Sunday! May sound extreme but I want a healthy family for the cruise! :)

spiiffy - VERY wise decision! :thumbsup2

I get very irritated when I see posts encouraging people to "medicate and dance around the health questions" at the port when they are attempting to hide symptoms of something that may seem minor to them but could end up highly contagious and ruin the vacation of MANY other guests. I don't have children but do know that it is SO easy for them to pick up and spread illnesses to other kids, their families, then other guests. So I don't find your move to be extreme at all. I know that not everyone has the option of doing that, but you are doing the right thing for your family and everyone on the ship! :)

Inside the mind of an OCD packer
My Rule #1: Ignore any "must have" advice about "things to take on a cruise." Some people may need an over-the-door shoe hangar, a yellow marker pen, a full-size first aid kit, an umbrella, a variety of electric hair styling appliances, duct tape, 5+ pair of shoes, a laptop, an iPod, a personal DVD player, chargers for all of those, carry-on beverages and snacks, etc. Fine for them, not for me. :ssst:

Rule #2: Make a packing list and ONLY take what is on that list. I start with non-clothing "essentials," which are basically the same for every cruise. I then make a list for each day of the cruise and each part of the day (Morning, Mid-Day, Dinner/Evening), and further breaking it down to Formal Night, Palo High Tea, Palo Brunch, Palo Dinner, etc. I must say that with the exception of shoes, I never wear the same evening attire twice, but that I mix and match daytime clothing and occasionally repeat some items there.

Rule #3: ONE medium suitcase (checked) and ONE carry-on bag. No exceptions. :thumbsup2

Rule #4: Use functional luggage and pack it right. The bag I check has a built in garment section. That's where my long dresses go. For the main compartment, I guess what I do is a combination of the "bundle" method and rolling. I stuff socks or smaller items into shoes. I place any fragile items in the middle of the "bundle" if not in my carry-on.

Rule #5: I think this is really my Rule #1. LESS IS MORE! Taking less means having more room in the car on the way to the port, more space and less clutter in the stateroom, and makes it easy to unpack, organize and re-pack because there is less of it. :goodvibes

Up Next: My Fantasy (Things I hope to do aboard)

Where have you been all my travel life? In reading more of your packing tips I realized you pack much like my husband does - he always has a bag ready to go (thanks to being in the military). Can't wait to read more.

Where have you been all my travel life? Can't wait to read more.
:rotfl2: Thanks!

BTW - I don't recall if I already posted this, but I will be doing CARRY-ON ONLY for this 7-night sailing, with the same DCL wheeled carry-on I took on my recent 3-night Dream cruise, just a bit more in it - lol. Everything fits in well, but it will be interesting to find out if things get too wrinkled with that much in this smaller bag. This will help me decide whether to check a bag when I sail with my DH next year. ;)

This is the other Pal. I do NOT have this packing talent, which I'm sure I've discussed already on this thread. I am checking a bag and taking a carry-on. To me, THAT is traveling light. :lmao:

I am so excited today - we are down to 21 days until we board the Fantasy :woohoo:

The irony is that I MAY actually be bringing more than you, even though I am taking only a wheeled carry-on and shoulder tote! It's all in the packing, folks! :rotfl2:

To anyone who sees us in the terminal: Keep in mind that whatever you see ME with is EVERYTHING I have for the week! :lmao:

taswaria can you come pack for my family of three? I have most of our outfits planned but the thought of packing everything for three is still stressing me out! Can't wait for our 4/28 cruise!:yay:

Biggest key for me is to realize that a 7-night sailing Sat-Sat really only has 6 FULL days, Sunday through Friday. It never hurts to wear some items twice (or more for slacks/shorts), especially casual daywear. Example - Two good pair of shorts and one or two pair of capris/slacks with a few tops to mix and match. Evening wear: Keep even dressy attire lightweight (Don't buy "heavy" clothing - lol), have a dressy cover-up or two that can be worn with your dresses or dressy pants and tops.

To get it down to a science - haha - Be an obsessive list maker like me! I list each day from embarkation to debarkation, breaking it down to Daywear and Evening Wear each day, with mix and match as much as possible.

It saves space in luggage to WEAR an OUTFIT for embarkation instead of shorts and t-shirt (which take less space in a suitcase). Same for shoes. Wear the bulkier shoes and pack the lightweight flip-flops or put them in your carry-on. It's also easy to wear a swimsuit beneath clothing when boarding, if you plan to hit the water features immediately. HINT FOR MEN: If you are bringing jeans, WEAR THEM FOR EMBARKATION. They take too much space and weight in a bag. So pack your shorts and Dockers and wear the heavier denim when boarding.

Other items: If you KNOW you absolutely NEED something, bring it (unless it is on DCL's do-not-bring list!). If you just think you MIGHT need something, leave it home. Otherwise those "might need" items will consume your luggage!

Simple packing: I lay dresses and slacks in my bag with the long ends alternating (hang one to the left, the next to the right over the side of the bag), then set neatly folded tops and such in the center, finally taking what is hanging over the sides and folding first one side then the other to cover the items in the middle. Then I put shoes (one at a time and in baggies), socks, underwear and rolled up tank tops/camisoles and sundresses around the inside edges of the bag to fill any empty space. Other small items go in the outside zip compartment. When I check a bag (which I am not doing this time) I use one that has a separate garment section for my dresses, but otherwise my methods are the same.

MANY people have their own excellent packing methods. The above is what has always worked FOR ME. I am not saying everyone should do as I do, but I am often asked how I do it so thought I'd detail it here in my pre-trip thread. ;)

19 days until sailing! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter