QS - are there locations were CM will make you have food to sit?

o, it is NOT obviously done to prevent people from just lingering at tables (few people just linger in WDW QS restaurants after finishing.)

It's done, when it is done, to enable guests with their food to be able to sit and eat at that time.

And (hopefully) guests with food purchased at the restaurant. It really irks me when I've seen people unpacking their entire meal brought from home (or a resort) with nothing purchased at the restaurant taking up a table when myself and other people with food purchased there are looking for tables.

Even at a regular table service restaurant anywhere, not just at Disney, you are seated before your food comes.
At a regular table service restaurant anywhere, not just at Disney, you are seated before your food comes.
FTFY. Differen models.
-
The seating at QS is for patrons eating food there.
Exactly! Patrons eating food. Not patrons waiting for food. or even worse,waiting to order food. And, again, Disney does this when necessary, not every open hour every single day.
. It’s a little over the top to suggest that patrons literally cannot sit till they have food in hand
It's not OTT at all, actually. It. Works

So all 5 of my family should crowd in line with me as I order in that single line on either side of the ordering stand and then crowd with me near the window as we wait for food so then all 5 of us can try to navigate food trays, a stroller perhaps too?

Yes, to let the family of 5 who did the smart thing and mobile ordered their food but is now desperately trying to find a table actually sit and eat their food while it’s hot. Or the couple without kids, or the solo guest, or any of the other hundreds of people who order quick service food and need a seat just as much as your group does.

If that’s too challenging for you then mobile order, eat at off hours when QS joints are less crowded, or book TS instead.

I mean, I honestly don’t know what the alternative is. You can’t even place a bum in a seat until you literally have your food? So all 5 of my family should crowd in line with me as I order in that single line on either side of the ordering stand and then crowd with me near the window as we wait for food so then all 5 of us can try to navigate food trays, a stroller perhaps too? Or maybe my family should be forced to stand outside because they don’t have food? Let’s not be ridiculous. Even at a regular table service restaurant anywhere, not just at Disney, you are seated before your food comes. The seating at QS is for patrons eating food there. It’s a little over the top to suggest that patrons literally cannot sit till they have food in hand. The solution should be based on reasonableness, not on some needlessly strict standard that interferes with common sense.
Of course you don't have to do that. If Disney wants to prevent people from entering the dining area without food in hand, as I've heard they do at certain busy times, then that's what they'll do. The rest of the time, just do what is reasonable and is done at quick service restaurants elsewhere. The rules made up by people here are much more onerous and challenging than the ones imposed by Disney, and following them won't do anything to alleviate the overall problem - only Disney can solve that. If everyone here all agreed never to sit down at a quick serve restaurant without food in hand ever again, it would have no impact whatsoever on what happens at Disney. All those people with no food will still be sitting there and you'll be the one walking around with a tray of food and nowhere to sit. That's unacceptable to me and most likely to others also. Disney is the only one who can solve this problem, and it won't be done unless it becomes a problem for Disney.

I haven't seen that at all the last 3 Summers. Maybe we weren't eating a peak times but most of the times the restaurants seem pretty packed.

The 'rule' is obviously to prevent people from just lingering at tables, but half a family holding a table while the other half orders/carries food?

It's not at all for lingering tables. It's to keep people from tying up a table for 20 minutes while their spouse is in line. In that 20 minutes, a person who is just stepping out of line with their food could sit down, eat and be gone before the person who just got in line even has a tray of food.

A little different topic but people definitely linger at tables well after finishing their meal or even while not eating at all.

I was solo a few weeks ago and headed to a table with my food when a woman without food sent her kid racing ahead of me as I was approaching a table that just became empty. I should have sat down at the table anyway but moved along instead.

I mean, I honestly don’t know what the alternative is. You can’t even place a bum in a seat until you literally have your food? So all 5 of my family should crowd in line with me as I order in that single line on either side of the ordering stand and then crowd with me near the window as we wait for food so then all 5 of us can try to navigate food trays, a stroller perhaps too? Or maybe my family should be forced to stand outside because they don’t have food? Let’s not be ridiculous. Even at a regular table service restaurant anywhere, not just at Disney, you are seated before your food comes. The seating at QS is for patrons eating food there. It’s a little over the top to suggest that patrons literally cannot sit till they have food in hand. The solution should be based on reasonableness, not on some needlessly strict standard that interferes with common sense.

I think this is a bit dramatic. My family of 5-7 (depending on who goes) has experienced this rule with toddlers and grandparents and 1 child with special needs. It wasn't that big of a deal.

Does it sound annoying when you hear about it? Yeah. In reality, it's not that hard to stand off to the side while someone orders, or mobile order if that's easier for you. If my family takes up a table while I'm ordering, by the time I actually get there with my food a whole other family could have sat down and completely eaten their food and/or be nearly finished.

I'm sure if you can manage your family of 5 in the parks you can manage your family of 5 for 15 minutes in a QS restaurant. It sounds more like you're anticipating a problem before even experiencing it? Again, mobile ordering really alleviates this issue that you're creating in your head.

I haven't seen that at all the last 3 Summers. Maybe we weren't eating a peak times but most of the times the restaurants seem pretty packed.
I used to only really see it at Pecos Bill over prime lunchtime hours Christmas week. As far as I know, they haven’t done it at all over the past two years, since Mobile ordering started. I’ve heard them announce to people using Mobile order to go and find a seat and wait for your order to be ready.

I used to only really see it at Pecos Bill over prime lunchtime hours Christmas week. As far as I know, they haven’t done it at all over the past two years, since Mobile ordering started. I’ve heard them announce to people using Mobile order to go and find a seat and wait for your order to be ready.
We love Pecos Bill. We have to eat there every trip.

Good lord. The amount of indignation. I'll do what I do (and we do mobile order, for those who think I'm "creating an issue in my head" or being "dramatic") - even with mobile ordering there is substantial overcrowding in the area for pickup. I guess if we should meet in a QS restaurant, we will compete Hunger Games style for the table and see who wins.

Good lord. The amount of indignation. I'll do what I do (and we do mobile order, for those who think I'm "creating an issue in my head" or being "dramatic") - even with mobile ordering there is substantial overcrowding in the area for pickup. I guess if we should meet in a QS restaurant, we will compete Hunger Games style for the table and see who wins.

We actually don't have to if CMs are guiding us to the tables after we have our food :rolleyes1

PS - your Hunger Games reference doesn't really help you show people you aren't being dramatic, but okay.

So all 5 of my family should crowd in line with me as I order in that single line on either side of the ordering stand and then crowd with me near the window as we wait for food so then all 5 of us can try to navigate food trays, a stroller perhaps too? Or maybe my family should be forced to stand outside because they don’t have food? Let’s not be ridiculous. Even at a regular table service restaurant anywhere, not just at Disney, you are seated before your food comes. The seating at QS is for patrons eating food there. It’s a little over the top to suggest that patrons literally cannot sit till they have food in hand. The solution should be based on reasonableness, not on some needlessly strict standard that interferes with common sense.

I have little kids. We mobile order when available, hit the button when we’re there, grab our trays and find a place to sit. We don’t really crowd anywhere together to order. If mobile is not available, we just wait off to the side while one of us orders. If people didn’t hog tables before they had food, it would be much easier for those who are literally holding food to sit down.

I would absolutely not feel right sitting at a table with my family with NO food while people with trays of food were looking for a place to sit.

Last edited:
People holding tables when others with food are trying to find somewhere to sit really gets my goat.

I’m glad that Disney will assist when places are busy.
Yes i find that annoying too. HOWEVER, I would also find it annoying when an entire family of six (with two strollers) go up to the cash to place an order. I dont know why. I guess I figure its best to send one or two representatives per your family, and have the rest wait at the table or off to the side (with the strollers). So i can actually see it from both sides.

People holding tables when others with food are trying to find somewhere to sit really gets my goat.

I’m glad that Disney will assist when places are busy.
I think the objectors are missing this very importan distinction.
and have the rest wait at the table or off to the side
Off to the side - yes.
At the table when seating is scarce - nope.

This happened to me in January at the Mexico quick service. MANY people sitting and drinking a bottle of soda and not eating. I saw a few empty seats at tables, tray in hand (and I have a neurological disease that makes carrying it without spilling tricky), “Can I sit here?”. “Is this seat taken”, every time being told it was taken or that they were holding it for someone. Finally a family got up and pointed to me to come get a place to sit and they “held” it for me until I got there.

Since that table seated four, as I saw others walking around looking for a place to sit, I offered the three seats and every time was declined! Maybe they thought I’d talk to them or something, but I didn’t feel too sorry for them then shuffling around looking for a place to eat while others had backpacks on their chairs.

And I sat down, ate, drank my water, got up and put my tray and trash away- and quite a few of the people were STILL sitting there without food and backpacks on empty chairs.

Sometimes people are oblivious but sometimes people are just very self-centered. A CM can help move people along if others bought food and are searching for a place to sit and eat it.

As a solo traveler, I wish they would do this more. I never eat during "prime" times & even then getting my food & wandering around trying find a seat anywhere is a challenge. Yes I understand why people send someone to hold a table while they order, but I usually have eaten & am leaving before the people even arrive with the food.

Bless the people who let me share a table or offer a chair! Your kindness is much appreciated!
This is me, too. And now that lids are not used it is even more troublesome wandering around alone looking for a table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter