Rationing again?

Our Walmart yesterday was completely out of eggs. It was a bit disconcerting. But, the tp and canned goods were all normal, so I don’t know if it was a hoarding situation or a delivery issue. We went to another (local run) grocery store later in the day and the egg situation was fine. 🤷🏻‍♀️

No stores have limits on anything around here.
My local Walmart was nearly out of eggs too, I don't get it. I haven't seen it like that since we had a cold snap, and some customer was asking an employee if the hen houses all froze.

It's Cape Cod, the waffle fry style chip. They have only been available in dribs and drabs since the beginning of the pandemic. Sometimes they have other Cape Cod chips, and sometimes none at all.
My favorite salt and vinegar chips are Cape Cod kettle cooked ones but I also like just their regular ones. I haven't even thought to check for that brand in a while though, a bummer if they are having supply issues.

I went into one supermarket last week to stockpile water (our well is on the brink of failure).
They did not have any bottled water. The manager said there was a plastic shortage so their supplier was behind on deliveries.
I went across the street to a different market, the aisle was very well stocked..

My husband is a mechanic in a big box distribution center. Even in the height of the "shortages" he said there were tractor trailers full of TP just sitting there when noone could find it in the stores.

No limits here yet, thank goodness!

People keep mentioning labor shortage. With 3-5 Walmart employees with their huge carts in each aisle getting in the way shopping for the lazy people, it's not a labor shortage situation. There's plenty of labor, they are just catering to the lazy who won't do their own shopping and leaving the shelves empty for those who aren't lazy.

People keep mentioning labor shortage. With 3-5 Walmart employees with their huge carts in each aisle getting in the way shopping for the lazy people, it's not a labor shortage situation. There's plenty of labor, they are just catering to the lazy who won't do their own shopping and leaving the shelves empty for those who aren't lazy.

There are MANY reasons why people pay for pick up and delivery - most of which do not include laziness. Elderly, immune compromised, work schedules....

I suppose my mom was lazy when she needed delivery for her two total knee replacements :confused3 (pre-pandemic, maybe people forget that portion of our lives I guess, before the pandemic).

Plus what are you talking about when you say they are leaving the shelves empty...whether those people who ordered online were in the stores or not the product would be sold to someone...so that seems completely irrelevant and just simply you being IDK bitter I guess not sure.

I suspect most of the water/paper towel stuff has more to do with the combination of back to school and severe weather season than with rationing, per se. Towels are always on school supply lists, and university kids take them to college. Around here, kids are told to bring their own water to school b/c water fountains are off limits due to covid. Some use reusable bottles, but many don't. And kids take water to college. Then you throw in hurricane season in the south and the recent flooding and fire disasters, and you have a lot of people doing clean up, prep, and a lot of shelters, etc. trying to provide for people. With deliveries a bit iffy these days, stores are probably just trying to ensure that everyone has a chance to get something.

This is me and the gang doing our lazy shopping. Notice the feelings of regret written all over my face.

No creamed corn allowed and we're not going to leave a tip either.

And this is traditional shopping.

Whether someone places an order before you or goes in before you, the item comes off the shelf regardless of which method they choose. So what's the difference?

Last edited:
I suspect most of the water/paper towel stuff has more to do with the combination of back to school and severe weather season than with rationing, per se. Towels are always on school supply lists, and university kids take them to college. Around here, kids are told to bring their own water to school b/c water fountains are off limits due to covid. Some use reusable bottles, but many don't. And kids take water to college. Then you throw in hurricane season in the south and the recent flooding and fire disasters, and you have a lot of people doing clean up, prep, and a lot of shelters, etc. trying to provide for people. With deliveries a bit iffy these days, stores are probably just trying to ensure that everyone has a chance to get something.
There's nothing to indicate that natural disasters are the reason, natural disasters occur every year in many places. So does back to school.

It seems to be a combination of global supply chain issues, shipping issues (port/cargo ships, planes, trucks) and people's perception of the covid situation from a variety of articles out there. There's even an article discussing doing holiday shopping now due to issues in supply.

I don't think stores really care about fairness to their customers, I think they just want to be able to have some stock for longer, not that they care who the stock goes to. Delivery seems to be more the situation. In the past delivery was more consistent so it didn't matter if they went out of stock on something if in a day or two they would get a new shipment in, but if that shipment is far off or spotty limiting means stock for longer (potentially) but again I don't think they are being altruistic about it insomuch that they are trying to ensure people have a chance to get something.

I was lazy and did a Walmart pickup today - just got back from a vacation and with jetlag I decided laziness wins. But anyway, I liketo get some things in bulk, like TP and paper towels, because again, I'm lazy and I hate grocery shopping for things like that every week. I just realized that I probably looked like a crazy hoarder with my 12 pack of paper towels, 2 packs of TP and also my bottled water for our camp! :rotfl2:

Plus what are you talking about when you say they are leaving the shelves empty...whether those people who ordered online were in the stores or not the product would be sold to someone...so that seems completely irrelevant and just simply you being IDK bitter I guess not sure.
People are saying there's a worker shortage. There's 3-5 Walmart people in the way of shoppers in every single aisle shopping for the online ordering. They have a LOT of people, just no one actually stocking the shelves.

My last visit what I noticed - no pop-tarts, no eggs, no bacon or sausage (that's all the time, for the last 6 years I've been back in this town.) Near empty yogurt shelf, butter was just an empty hole, no orange juice, meat shelf has been empty since the pandemic (no, I don't buy meat at Walmart). Ice cream freezer nearly empty, frozen pizza nearly empty, tea bags about half empty (of course none of the one I use), sugar and flour nearly empty, soups about half empty. Spaghetti and sauce shelves near empty. I could go on, this is just off the top of my head.

I don't understand how this store makes any money, there literally isn't anything on the shelves.

People are saying there's a worker shortage. There's 3-5 Walmart people in the way of shoppers in every single aisle shopping for the online ordering. They have a LOT of people, just no one actually stocking the shelves.

My last visit what I noticed - no pop-tarts, no eggs, no bacon or sausage (that's all the time, for the last 6 years I've been back in this town.) Near empty yogurt shelf, butter was just an empty hole, no orange juice, meat shelf has been empty since the pandemic (no, I don't buy meat at Walmart). Ice cream freezer nearly empty, frozen pizza nearly empty, tea bags about half empty (of course none of the one I use), sugar and flour nearly empty, soups about half empty. Spaghetti and sauce shelves near empty. I could go on, this is just off the top of my head.

I don't understand how this store makes any money, there literally isn't anything on the shelves.
Well there IS a labor shortage, where have you been that you haven't seen that? However there is also issues with getting the product to the shelves. If your meat area has been empty for the last year and a half at your local Walmart lordy that place has something else going on. Meat is higher in price and has been up and down throughout the pandemic but finding meat hasn't been as big of an issue as it was in the past. I did see where my local Walmart lost power for a few hours recently (rare TBH) so they lost product for that reason which did lead to empty shelves in fridge and freezer sections due to health safety but certainly not a norm. Bacon, well that depends on where you live. I don't know if you heard about the CA pig stuff but that's impacted CA and also some other areas. Carnival Cruise line is serving bacon every other day due bacon shortages. But really that has nothing to do with lazy people. Also remember some items are not stocked by the store but rather the food company.

Maybe you should look into doing online ordering? Just an idea. I suppose that would just make you lazy but maybe you'd get at least some groceries; regardless people are getting items just not you I guess. Some people have reported more substitutions recently or out of something but I don't think it's widespread of a particular item. Alternatively if you've been having repeated issues at a particular location for years sounds more like a particular location problem and not anything to do with lazy people, that just seems like you're pot stirring. Best suggestion is try out online ordering yourself 🤷‍♀️

It's Cape Cod, the waffle fry style chip. They have only been available in dribs and drabs since the beginning of the pandemic. Sometimes they have other Cape Cod chips, and sometimes none at all.

From working with Cape Cod, they have significant labor shortages and ingredient supply problems (trickle down from other companies shortages - oil, potatoes, spices, etc.) and haven't been running to full capacity. Some weeks are good, others are awful. I've seen this across a few other food industry companies as well. Hopefully we see a turn in this either in this Fall or at the latest next Spring.

The funniest thing I saw my local Walmart being out of was Cake Mixes. Last week there were NONE on the shelf. That entire section was empty.

I'm still noticing the weird shortages, but that's been happening off and on for over a year. Right now, I can't buy a Lunchable anywhere, any variety, and school isn't even back in session yet. Our local gas station started allowing refillable glasses again for the first time since the pandemic started, not because they think the virus is gone but because they're having issues getting their disposable cups. Over the weekend, they were out of one size of cup and a different size of lid and my friend who works there said they don't expect to get shipments of either for at least a week. But toilet paper seems in ample supply and I haven't noticed limits on water, though I don't buy it so I might just not have noticed.

The funniest thing I saw my local Walmart being out of was Cake Mixes. Last week there were NONE on the shelf. That entire section was empty.

That's another one I've seen here too. Couldn't get any sort of cornbread mix for chili night, and there were only a few weird varieties of cake mix and NO frosting at all. My daughter and I have both been reduced to baking from scratch (which she enjoys... me, not so much).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter