Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had scheduled a surprise first trip for the kids for April break, which I then pushed to first week of September but it sounds like I need to throw in the towel and cancel based on these modified experiences. I completely respect and appreciate the rationale behind masks for everyone over age 3, no character meets, etc but I just can’t imagine a first disney trip with kids like this. Also, while I always wear a mask whenever I go out, there’s just no way I can make the kids wear one all day, especially in the Florida heat. My 7yo barely tolerates a mask for 10 mins and my 4yo is even more oppositional, sigh. And while I do hear that the disposable surgical ones are more comfortable, I haven’t seen any that fit kids so they have cloth ones, which feel brutal after a while. I’m so so bummed. What was intended as a surprise “7th birthday” trip will I guess never happen. :(
It is a major bummer. This virus has upended our lives in lots of different ways (and btw don't let anyone tell you to "get over it -- it's just a Disney vacation --- it's not that important. It IS important to YOU.). I've said this earlier .. it will be more than just about the masks for kids. To me, at this point, it will be more about the frustration of having to tell them what they CAN'T do around every corner. (Things closed, don't go near people, don't touch that, don't go over there, no you can't use the pool, no you can't use the playground, no you can't see Mickey, etc.).

For the parents: ALL the things you've heard about Disney being magical for kids - character meals, character meets, indoor shows (like Frozen Sing Along or Disney Junior Dance Party .. none of that may be happening. Even things like getting a birthday button may not be the same. The cast members may be so focused on safety that they won't have the time to notice a kid's button to wish them a happy birthday. So, it may just be not worth going (especially at "normal" prices) until those things are back to normal.

Plus, Disney MAY (who knows) be offering more discounts in the future because the tourism industry is potentially going to be hit hard by people not wanting to travel with this virus.

But Disney and other theme parks may have to have a lot of these safety measures very temporarily or a lot of "normal" (guests with kids, once in a lifetime, once every few years) guests may not bother coming. It will be too depressing and inconvenient.

I didnt specify this, but I meant for free from a large brewed pot rather than making you pay for that. Apologies for not being clear! Still waking up :teeth:

Oh no, made perfect sense! I was just speaking about purchasing in general.

I actually agree, they should probably give some free coffee in the morning to make up for the free coffee they are taking away.

But I thought people would get all up in arms about that suggestion!
:rotfl:

Thanks!

Now the question is will they even have it at refillable stations since so many people handle it.

Ugh!

I would be surprised if the refillable mugs are there for a while. I went out yesterday in Georgia and, while restrictions here are far more lenient than the ones that are suspected to be in place at the resorts and parks, we could not use the same cup to refill our drinks. We were able to refill, but we had to request a new cup (these were machines where the middle to top of the cup touches the refill station as you press it into the machine to get the refill).

It will be interesting to see how they handle the refillable mug station. Although the stations don't require the tops of the mugs to touch anything, they do get packed, with people crowding all around to get their refills. They also would be incredibly hard to keep clean with the new constant-disinfecting they must do. I suppose Disney could give disposable cups to guests who had purchased the dining plan, but that would not eliminate the crowds at the refill stations or the cleaning issues.

I think it is more likely that they will have bottle only drinks, but I have no idea how they would sell coffee. Maybe you have to wait in line and get it from someone behind the counter?

The disinfecting issue could the biggest issue with open coffee pots and creamer containers.

Better yet - just deliver free cups of coffee each morning! You can schedule the time the night before, i'm sure they can arrange no touch delivery... :D

Except, I know folks that drink coffee throughout the day and even well into the night (definitely not me).

I would be surprised if the refillable mugs are there for a while. I went out yesterday in Georgia and, while restrictions here are far more lenient than the ones that are suspected to be in place at the resorts and parks, we could not use the same cup to refill our drinks. We were able to refill, but we had to request a new cup (these were machines where the middle to top of the cup touches the refill station as you press it into the machine to get the refill).

It will be interesting to see how they handle the refillable mug station. Although the stations don't require the tops of the mugs to touch anything, they do get packed, with people crowding all around to get their refills. They also would be incredibly hard to keep clean with the new constant-disinfecting they must do. I suppose Disney could give disposable cups to guests who had purchased the dining plan, but that would not eliminate the crowds at the refill stations or the cleaning issues.

I think it is more likely that they will have bottle only drinks, but I have no idea how they would sell coffee. Maybe you have to wait in line and get it from someone behind the counter?

The disinfecting issue could the biggest issue with open coffee pots and creamer containers.

I solved the coffee problem. They are going to deliver complimentary cups every morning (maybe twice a day) to your room. I still have to speak to them about this.
;)

Except, I know folks that drink coffee throughout the day and even well into the night (definitely not me).

Well, let's make it twice a day delivery! Anymore than that and you purchase yourself.
:D

But they really should have a complimentary coffee station. Maybe each guest can have two vouchers loaded on to their magic bands or something...they can use social distancing markers if worried about a line.

Today I got some brand new masks from Jaanuu (my favorite scrub company) that has a breathable mesh fabric on the side that touches your face, and the outside is a moisture wicking scrub material that is treated with an antimicrobial. That thing is a game changer, air moves well when you breathe, and for once I didn't feel like I was suffocating or giving myself a steamed breath facial.

Just checked the Jaanuu website, it's showing the masks as pre-order, shipping on 5/22. Is that the one you're talking about, or is there something different?

On Amazon they have single serve coffee makers with travel mugs for $20. You can even get a travel case for them. They think of everything!

For the last few years, since luggage is such an issue on planes, I've been using Starbucks Via sticks. They only need hot water. I take my own mug. If we have a microwave, I nuke a cup of water. If we don't have a microwave, I either order room service, if they have it, and get a pot of boiling water or send the hubby out to get mugs of hot water. Some people may be able to use the hottest faucet water, but I can't do that.

I even take them when we eat breakfast out. I'd rather not pay for meh coffee.

Sooo, about the coffee maker :D - the coffee might not have been the greatest, but it was free.

Rather than buying coffee every morning, if we purchase a refillable mug, can you use it for coffee? We would be there 9 nights. Not sure of cost of mugs, but if we drank two cup a day at hotel, if coffee free, should make mug purchase worth it?

Also, do we see this as something permanent?

Yes you can - and the upcharge insulated metal ones do a great job of keeping it warm (or cold if you get ice coffee) - that is what I did our last trip

At least an Caribbean Beach in the morning they had a separate station that you could refill your coffee (they had "spa water" there later in the day)

Refillable mugs wont happen on re-open. They will use paper cups for a while. Can't let people refill at stations with used cups in a Corona world
They can easily set it up using paper cups to transfer, it’s the self serve that’s the problem. But they can just have it behind the counter and you have to order it rather than do it yourself. I don’t think they’ll do away with refillables- they make a fortune on those things.

They can easily set it up using paper cups to transfer, it’s the self serve that’s the problem. But they can just have it behind the counter and you have to order it rather than do it yourself. I don’t think they’ll do away with refillables- they make a fortune on those things.

Plus it is a perk of the dining plan ... So I could see it being less convenient for a while but would be surprised if they just eliminate them

For the last few years, since luggage is such an issue on planes, I've been using Starbucks Via sticks. They only need hot water. I take my own mug. If we have a microwave, I nuke a cup of water. If we don't have a microwave, I either order room service, if they have it, and get a pot of boiling water or send the hubby out to get mugs of hot water. Some people may be able to use the hottest faucet water, but I can't do that.

I even take them when we eat breakfast out. I'd rather not pay for meh coffee.

I'm quoting my own post to apologize for forgetting some people like sugar and cream in their coffee. I'm sorry I didn't think of that, but I do bring some sugar and powdered creamer for my husband. Sometimes he gets a few little pods of cream, if I like him enough that trip. 💕

Plus it is a perk of the dining plan ... So I could see it being less convenient for a while but would be surprised if they just eliminate them
I agree. Honestly, whether there are coffee makers or refillable mugs aren’t even on my radar. These are insignificant to me. No coffeemaker? I’ll bring my own. No refillable mugs? I’ll buy a drink when I’m thirsty. It’s the big things- like shows and fireworks, what they’ll do about entry into the parks and who is allowed in and more that concern me. Those things I can’t fix.

Refillable mugs wont happen on re-open. They will use paper cups for a while. Can't let people refill at stations with used cups in a Corona world

and actually by current guidelines shouldn’t be self serve stations at all. Only way they do refillable is cast members doing the refilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter