Should I keep my reservation for June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiming in as we are scheduled 6/7-6/14. We have a heavily discounted room only res and non-refundable air booked to date. Our FP+ date is 4/8, so I've been putting off buying passes until the last Amen. Our biggest dilemma is with the guests we are taking on this trip. It's our DD's 16th bday trip so we are taking her boyfriend (for all intents and purposes, this is his first trip and his high school graduation), our niece (her high school graduation) and our nephew (in college) to celebrate. The first hitch is not having any idea what school will bring for the 3 still in high school (our nephew is at PSU, but they've transitioned to online for the remainder of the semester) and especially with regard to graduation for the 2 seniors. The second hitch is not having much availability (and maybe none at all) to work with to reschedule for everyone later in the summer due to other planned trips, jobs, etc. DH, DD and myself will still go one way or another this summer or fall. I did buy insurance on the air that would give us 75% back of our 3 guests' airline tickets and I can do the same for their park tickets, but losing 25% of those things is still a good chunk of money. I saw the previous suggestion of switching to a package for more flexibility, but it would cost me almost $1K more overall to do so because of the discounts I have had booked forever now. It just feels like such a pickle. Go figure that this is a "special" trip versus our usual visit. Our DD has deemed it a Lion King themed trip and we've got multiple group t-shirt sets, the LK Suite at AOA, all the ADR's the kids chose, etc. and I'm just racking my brain to not only tackle plan A wisely going forward, but to come up with a plan B that includes as much of plan A for everyone as possible. The 2 seniors are dealing with potentially losing the remainder of their senior years and all that entails, but keep saying they can at least look forward to Disney. Ugh. I realize we're one of many many in our struggles and disappointments and am incredibly grateful to even have such a "problem" since it's so very first world given the reality of things right now. So, OP...I guess I've just explained all of that to say that I'm hanging in there until I can't justify doing so anymore. I'd at least like to see when Disney extends the closure through. The whole rumor of phased openings will make a difference too, but if things are seemingly under control, the country is up and running and Disney is open in full, then we'll go as scheduled. If things remain too uncertain as we approach the 30 day mark, then I will do my very best to push back to later this summer.

I'm booked for a 10 day stay May 10th. We are waiting to see what happens. If Disney reopens we want to see what changes there will be and how that may impact our trip. We have our Magic Bands, reservations, FastPasses done. In fact our FP+ was done a few hours before WDW announced their closure. For now, I'm not making any changes and I am waiting for official word from Disney and then go from there. (Maybe 2 smaller trips instead of one big one!)

I just saw on Facebook that CBS Miami posted that Disney World is closed through June 30th. Has anyone else seen this?
It’s waving cancel fees for bookings up to 6/30
That said June is being cautiously optimistic China has been closed since the end of January and while some things have reopened in Shanghai at their hotel/shopping district the park proper has been closed for 2 months and they have been on complete lockdown to contain things while the US is a wild card

Congratulations on your retirement! I am a teacher, too, though still a long ways from retiring. This is definitely a strange year to retire, but I'm sure you have many *normal* years of wonderful memories in teaching to look back on!

Personally, I would probably book a back up trip if I were you. If you book a package through Disney, you only need to front $200, and the cancellation is very easy.

Royal Caribbean has canceled all sailings through 5/12. I'd use that as a barometer. There might be a chance of WDW being open in June.

We are scheduled to go on June 24th. We got a special deal for club level at the Polynesian, and got a great price on first class flights. I have wonderful ADR’s including Cinderella’s Royal Table which was prepaid. We have custom magic bands. In a few weeks, I will be doing fast passes. I’m busting because by now I would have reserved a cabana for a day or two, but I am hesitant about making any additional paid reservations that may need to be cancelled. My flight times have been changed, but otherwise, American Airlines is still planning on flying us from NYC to Orlando.

My biggest fear right now is leaving Connecticut (where we have a lot of cases) to go to New York (where they have the most cases in the country).

Once we are in WDW, I feel like I can still distance myself socially. I hate the crowds and avoid them at all costs under normal circumstances. We go to the parks early and leave before lunch. We do not return after that. We eat in nice restaurants and watch fireworks from the resort. I’m obsessive about hand washing and have always been that way. I always have Purell and alcohol wipes on me. I feel like the only way I would get the virus is if someone coughed on me.

So, for now, we aren’t changing anything. If we have to reschedule, we would probably wait a year. Obviously if the airline forces us to change our dates to sooner, then we will see.

I really hope that we can all go in June. We deserve a vacation after all of this fear and stress.

I rescheduled my May 3rd trip for June 14th just as a wishful thinking situation. If they are still closed / there is a limited opening or if things are still incredibly unsafe travel wise, I will reschedule to a later date. As for now, I am just hoping for the best and taking it day by day.

I wouldn’t call a temporary closure doom and gloom, I’d call it a reasonable call. Keeping the park closed until June implies doom and gloom that this whole thing will be going on for months. Different scenarios.
Point is so many ppl said Disney would NEVER close & this isn’t China blah blah. Keeping it closed til June would depend on the situation there. Currently we have a death rate in our city of 4.5% & the highest per capita rate of infection in that county so thinking things will be great & back to normal here by June feels very optimistic at best. The point is it’s not doom & gloom as much we just don’t know. No one does.

Call me the paranoid one but is a trip to WDW and all those potential carriers worth it?...........

I say try for 2021....

I agree with you 100%!! I don't care what restrictions open up, I will not be in a group like WDW for quite a while. I don't think this virus will just end suddenly like a faucet being turned off no matter who gives the word it's safe. We will all have to be cautious.
We had a trip for end of April which we cancelled in Feb - knew we would not take a chance even if they were still open at that time. Our entertainment trips can be put on hold even though disappointments, but that's not the most important things for us to think about at this time (us personally).

I just booked for the first week of October just in case it’s fully open and safe to travel in October, I’m only about 50/50 on if we will end up using the reservation but I sure hope so.

A few weeks ago I rescheduled my bachelorette trip from mid-April to the end of June. I get married in August (hopefully), so I don't have much time left to reschedule if it does not open in June. However, I do not think speculation is worth it at this point. All of this is completely out of our hands. Disney will open when it can based off the local, state, and federal requirements. So congratulations if you were right on calling that Disney would close or not, and sorry if you were wrong saying Disney would not close. But honestly, lets just try to be supportive of one another during this horrible time. Lots of tears have (and will continue) to be shed.

I hope you are able to go for your retirement trip, that is a big life milestone and deserves to be celebrated! I am personally going to wait until the end of April to make any decisions for my rescheduled June trip if that helps you give any sense of timeline. All stay well and healthy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter