Should I keep my reservation for June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a June 5-10 booking. It was our "welcome home" (i.e. first) DVC booking. 😔 I'm disappointed, but I think I'd prefer to cancel it at this point, so we could use to points to book a back-up trip. However, we also spent $400 for Villains After Dark tickets and I don't think we could get a refund if I cancel so early (?). I've just been waiting to see how everything unfolds, but we probably won't be the ones rushing to visit the first few weeks it opens back up.

I'm definitely a planner, so the "should I or shouldn't I cancel" back and forth is killing me.

We're June 7-17. It's my son's graduation/18th birthday trip. Graduation is up in the air right now, like many of you, and I really don't want to move this trip so we can at least have that as a celebration. If I have to reschedule, we're kind of constrained to July/early to mid August due to college, etc. I've looked and there is availability, but I'm holding out until the last minute because the June timing is way better for everyone involved. ADRs will be hard to come by, and I have all the ones we want for the June trip. It might be cutting it close, but I really think June will be OK. Plus, if this goes past June, a third of the country won't be able to recover from it economically. They'll almost have to figure out a way to get people back to work before then.

Still trying to work through the options for our June trip. Can anyone help me grasp any flexibility we may have with passes purchased separately from our room only res? If I buy 6 adult 7DPH passes and attach them to the 6 that are currently scheduled to go for June, but then we have to change dates to late July and 3 now can’t go, can I unattached their passes and use them for my own family (me, DH & DD) at a later date by paying any applicable difference? Do they still have to be used by a specific time (i.e. the end of this year) or can we use them next year?

Off topic. Quick question. When is 4th of July crowd week? 4th of July is a Sunday this year. Is it the week before up until the 4th that’s crowded or the 4th till the following week. Thanks

We are booked June 20-28. We will not be canceling. If Disney cancels for us, sobeit, we will work to reschedule at that time. We are hoping that things calm down by then and we can go as planned. I've already rescheduled this trip from our original dates in May due to a schedule conflict we had. Our main concern right now is our APs which expire in September. If we had to reschedule past September, our APs may be unusable depending on how long their expiration date is extended due to the closure. For now we are playing a game of wait and see.

DD and I have asthma. DH has other health issues. He is an essential employee, and he was told that if he used air travel, he would have to be quarantined for two weeks. When we fly, it will be out of NY where it is basically a disaster area.

After careful consideration, we decided to postpone our trip as far out as the airline will allow. Our first choice is July 2021, but we will travel as early as April 2021 if necessary. Although I feel very sad about it, our lives are much more valuable than a week's vacation.

Thanks. If I want to get fastpasses, I need to purchase my park tickets by 4/10. I only have the rooms reserved right now. I'm retiring from teaching. With the school closures, this is such an odd way to end my career.
I'm also retiring this year, and you're right. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would end my teaching career this way! Funny thing is, we had been planning on a trip to Hawaii this year to celebrate my retirement, our 30th anniversary, and getting our last kid out of college, but something in my gut told me this wasn't the year to do it. So glad we didn't book that trip! That would have involved a cancelled flight and a cancelled cruise. Our WDW trip isn't until November (first time purchasing APs which we bought in January), but I'm pretty sure we are cancelling. I have no desire to be on a plane or anywhere crowded any time soon. Good luck with your decision, and good luck with the end of your school career!

Last edited:
If I had a June reservation, I would keep it for now. I'm betting the parks will open June 1... maybe in a limited capacity but I wouldn't cancel any ressies except obviously April and I would most likely cancel early May. Late May - I might keep.

If I had a June reservation, I would keep it for now. I'm betting the parks will open June 1... maybe in a limited capacity but I wouldn't cancel any ressies except obviously April and I would most likely cancel early May. Late May - I might keep.

Agree - I'm thinking around the same timeline - I will say memorial weekend

I actually chatted with the owner of the travel agency I use (had the chance and wanted to run my thoughts by her before bothering my agent - and she is happy to help with questions like mine) last night. I've got a birthday trip July 18-23 booked and because of other things already booked for 2021 I don't know when I'd be able to reschedule (I teach, so I can't just take off whenever) so that would mean a flat-out cancel which would take that commission away from my TA. There is a cruise to Bermuda booked out of Cape Liberty, NJ the same time frame, and while I know that might not go either, with that I could take a future cruise credit, apply that to one of my 2021 cruises, and my agent would still get the commission from the July booking (that is how Celebrity is handling it if passengers take the credit).

The owner I spoke with last night said that she is very optimistic about July and even June and encouraged me to hold onto things as-is for a month. At the end of April we'll reevaluate and see what the odds are looking like.

But obviously no one has a crystal ball - no Madame Leotas here.

Last edited:
I would keep it. I’d say by early to May all will be back open and good to go.
I hope so. I don't like sounding selfish and/or irresponsible....but my Disney trips are planned months and sometimes over a year in advance. I have to work around school schedules, work schedules and DVC availability - just like so many others I am sure. I hate it that so many people had to cancel or had their trip canceled due to the current situation. But I am still hoping that our trip that begins on May 23 is still a Go.

I just cancelled my June 4-10th trip this morning, and to be honest, I feel sad but also some relief. I had been worrying a lot about what decision to make. My family just wasn't prepared to fly and then be in such a crowded place so soon after all of this. Looking at the virus modeling that's available, I think things will be calming down by the first week in June but definitely not "normal."

I understand everyone needs to make the best decision for their own family and particular circumstance. We're sad, but in a position to set up a short replacement trip for October (& then a backup to our backup trip in February, if October doesn't work). I expect either mid-October or President's Day will be crazy-busy, but we'll just be glad to be there the next time we go.

I've read a lot of great points about fears of being in a crowd even if it reopens and also points that WDW may opt to reopen from a business perspective. There is a lot of truth to this - it all depends on what Disney as a company feels they need to do in conjunction with public sentiment about the virus. I know someone who's tested positive and they were told 7-10 days from their diagnosis and 3 days without a fever they are "clear to rejoin society". So in a few weeks there will be corona positive people that are being told they can go back out in the world. So what will the world be doing in 30 days? Even if Disney reopens in May (I'm an early/mid May trip) there may be cancellations and limitations that may not live up to my expectations to the value of the price being paid. If the numbers are still spiking May 1st and the Government isn't encouraging businesses to open up there is a chance WDW and other tourist attractions may continue to shutter.

Others have mentioned state restrictions and I think this will be one of the biggest factors. I'm from the NYC area, so no one wants us right now and Florida is really clamping down on that from articles I've read. When that laxes and numbers being reported begin to improve I think more and more tourism revenue dependent companies may open with limitations, waivers, strong cautionary messaging just to create some kind of cash flow. I think that kind of opening (WDW or otherwise) you'll see cuts in places because if they are making limited income - the experience will be limited too.

American Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Fauci currently believes in the USA we'll be seeing the apex by April 30th. So if that projection becomes reality, more positive press may release, businesses encouraged to open up (whether they should or shouldn't I'm not covering here) and we'll see WDW likely reopen.

I read that WDW is not taking reservations until June 1st which implies they expect to be open by then. It does not necessarily mean however they won't be open in May - in fact that may be a way they will try to implement a crowd control strategy as the world will be on edge. This way there's no new visitors outside of those that have already booked May in advance allowing the parks to test the waters and make people feel safer.

As a consumer, I want the park to reopen in full with at least an illusion there's nothing being taken away. The park will feel that way at some point again - unclear if that will be in May That's my biggest concern, is "If it's open, how much is my trip being devalued?" As someone who's already been exposed to the virus and on the younger side with no children, it's easy for me right now to keep my vacation until I know what is being devalued if the parks are open.

So to tie that all back up to a follow up to my earlier response to this thread. and the original post, if you have health concerns or are still nervous health wise, see how you feel in 30-45 days about the pandemic and cancel if need be. If you don't, hang on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter