Social Isolation Creative Meals

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
Time to put a positive spin on being at home! What meals or recipes have you been forced to try with limited resources if you are staying home, or maybe recipes you just didn't have the time for before because you were at work? Maybe a slow cooked curry, a favourite Disney replica or something you were too nervous to try.

So I discovered how easy it is to make falafel out of canned chickpeas and I am looking forward to making some veg curry and finding something to do with my canned tuna 🤔

I've made it a few times before, this winter, but I made a crockpot lasagna earlier this week. Since i live alone, it really stretches out into a lot of meals, and also freezes well. And a lot of people are shocked to find out you even CAN make it in a crockpot. Other than that, have not been too chef-like, since it's just me. :)

I posted this in Eat at Home 3, but I’ll post here too....

Hobo Dinners

If you don’t know what they are, I learned them from my Dad’s old Boy Scout book. They have them being made in the ground with coals but I make them in the oven. You can also put them on a grill. I didn’t know if maybe posting this people would want to maybe pretend camp outdoors for the evening. You could also do s’mores regular after or the s’mores foil packets.

Basically, you just cut up whatever vegetables you have, season, make a bed of them in the center of a large piece of foil. Put some pats of butter here and there on top of them. Then make a hamburger patty and place it on the top in the center. Add another piece of foil and wrap the sides together around the pile as you go so it makes a pouch. Since I make in the oven, I put an initial on the top in sharpie (some people want certain veggies, I want a smaller meat patty). Bake in oven at 375. I do 45 minutes and check. It depends on how thick the patty is. Let rest for a bit after finished and then serve in packet on a plate or dump onto plate.

I've made it a few times before, this winter, but I made a crockpot lasagna earlier this week. Since i live alone, it really stretches out into a lot of meals, and also freezes well. And a lot of people are shocked to find out you even CAN make it in a crockpot. Other than that, have not been too chef-like, since it's just me. :)
Sounds delish! Do you have a recipe?

I posted this in Eat at Home 3, but I’ll post here too....

Hobo Dinners

If you don’t know what they are, I learned them from my Dad’s old Boy Scout book. They have them being made in the ground with coals but I make them in the oven. You can also put them on a grill. I didn’t know if maybe posting this people would want to maybe pretend camp outdoors for the evening. You could also do s’mores regular after or the s’mores foil packets.

Basically, you just cut up whatever vegetables you have, season, make a bed of them in the center of a large piece of foil. Put some pats of butter here and there on top of them. Then make a hamburger patty and place it on the top in the center. Add another piece of foil and wrap the sides together around the pile as you go so it makes a pouch. Since I make in the oven, I put an initial on the top in sharpie (some people want certain veggies, I want a smaller meat patty). Bake in oven at 375. I do 45 minutes and check. It depends on how thick the patty is. Let rest for a bit after finished and then serve in packet on a plate or dump onto plate.
Sounds lush but I *especially * love the description of dumping it on a plate! Great food doesn't need to be unnecessarily arranged, just enjoyed!

My hubby has taken over my kitchen and done more cooking in the last two weeks than the last year. He and my son eat it and mine is typically plainer less spicy, less Garlic Plsssss, and more enjoyable.
This week they had bangers n mash, Korean short rib something or other, grilled blackened grouper, and some type of jambalaya. I had baked chicken, grilled chicken, plain fish twice n a good ol peanut butter n low sugar strawberry preserve sandwich ...with a soup side, lol
I’ve spent more time scrubbing that kitchen down Than I want!

I make crockpot lasagna all the time. Good stuff! So easy and makes a lot of extra for leftovers.

Sounds delish! Do you have a recipe?
@Ellie Webbs Here's the recipe, although I hesitate to call it that, since I "cheat" and used jarred stuff, etc. I/d probably make the effort if it wasn't just me (I used to when I cooked for me/my ex), but I don't now. But it still is tasty, and quite economical, as it makes many meals, and can be frozen quite well.

Let me know if you try it, and ENOY!!

Crockpot Lasagna (Says it makes 8 servings)

Ingredients

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground sausage (see my notes following)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (see my notes following)
1/2 cup chopped onion (see my notes following)
24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (see my notes following)
1 cup water - divided into (2) 1/2 cups
15 ozs. Ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese - divided (see my notes following)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (see my notes following)
1 large egg
9-12 lasagna noodles (uncooked - see my notes following)
OPTIONAL - Fresh basil for serving
Canned sliced mushrooms (see my notes)

Instructions

1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
2. Brown hamburger/Italian sausage in pan over medium heat. Drain grease, then add Italian seasoning, onions. Cook until onions soft, stir in 1/2 cup water, and sauce. Let simmer 5 minutes.
3. While sauce is simmering, mix together Ricotta cheese, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg
4. Scoop about 1 cup sauce onto bottom of crock pot. Then top with 3 noodles (you may have to break noodles to fit). Then spread about 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat with 2 more layers or until all ingredients used. Add 1/2 cup water around sides.
5. Sprinkle remaining cup Mozzarella on top.

Cook on low 4-5 hours, or until noodles tender.

My notes (given in order they appear in recipe)

I usually use the mixture of Italian sausage, and ground beef, and usualyl a mix of hot and sweet sausage.

I don't use anything labeled "Italian seasoning" - I love using spices in anything and everything, and in this, I usually use (all dried) - Oregano, parsley, basil, adobe seasoning, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder. I also use onion powder in lieu of fresh chopped onion

Spaghetti sauce - I usually have another jar on hand "just in case" - I'e had this come out wetter than I wanted, and also drier, so I have sauce on hand to spread over top, if dry, especially for nuking afterwards

Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses - Again, I'm lazy :) - I don't shred my own - I used packaged Mozz (and sometimes the Italian blends that are packaged), and also use jarred Parm - all tastes fine to me! :)

Lasagna noodles - Do NOT try to use "no boil" noodles to make this! I did that, and while the mixture in the crockpot tasted GREAT, it was much wetter than supposed to be, and noodles had basically disintegrated!! :rotfl2: Guess that was TOO lazy? LOL

Mushrooms - I love them, so use them, brown up a can of them along with the ground beef/sausage

Cooking Time - I have always found this to be ready ahead of time - I check it at around 3.5 - 4 hours, and it's usually good by then.

I also find that adding either a tiny bit of sauce, plain water, or sometimes another egg to the cheese mixture makes it much easier to spread over the noodles prior to cooking.

Like I said - this is FAR from gourmet, but VERY easy, and economical. Please let me know if anybody makes it, and how you enjoyed it.

I recently got an Instant Pot for my birthday. We have used it to make Chicken Marsala, Beef Stroganoff, Sausage and Bean Soup, bacon and egg cups and yogurt. Tomorrow we’re going to try and make bread pudding.
@Ravens girl The Beef Stroganoff sounds YHUMMM (It all does, but I ADORE that!) What do you find are differences/things you like better about an IntaPot and a corckpot, if you've had experience cooking in both? I was thiking about an Instapot, but got an air fryer instead (which I love), especially good for me, since my oven doesn't currently work. Love to hear your thoughts.

@Ellie Webbs Here's the recipe, although I hesitate to call it that, since I "cheat" and used jarred stuff, etc. I/d probably make the effort if it wasn't just me (I used to when I cooked for me/my ex), but I don't now. But it still is tasty, and quite economical, as it makes many meals, and can be frozen quite well.

Ingredients

1/2 lb. ground beef
15 ozs. Ricotta cheese
1 large egg

Instructions

2. Brown hamburger/Italian sausage in pan over medium heat. Drain grease, then add Italian seasoning, onions. Cook until onions soft, stir in 1/2 cup water, and sauce. Let simmer 5 minutes.
3. While sauce is simmering, mix together Ricotta cheese, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg
4. Scoop about 1 cup sauce onto bottom of crock pot. Then top with 3 noodles (you may have to break noodles to fit). Then spread about 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat with 2 more layers or until all ingredients used. Add 1/2 cup water around sides.

I usually use the mixture of Italian sausage, and ground beef, and usualyl a mix of hot and sweet sausage.

I don't use anything labeled "Italian seasoning" - I love using spices in anything and everything, and in this, I usually use (all dried) - Oregano, parsley, basil, adobe seasoning, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder. I also use onion powder in lieu of fresh chopped onion

Spaghetti sauce - I usually have another jar on hand "just in case" - I'e had this come out wetter than I wanted, and also drier, so I have sauce on hand to spread over top, if dry, especially for nuking afterwards

Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses - Again, I'm lazy :) - I don't shred my own - I used packaged Mozz (and sometimes the Italian blends that are packaged), and also use jarred Parm - all tastes fine to me! :)

Lasagna noodles - Do NOT try to use "no boil" noodles to make this! I did that, and while the mixture in the crockpot tasted GREAT, it was much wetter than supposed to be, and noodles had basically disintegrated!! :rotfl2: Guess that was TOO lazy? LOL

Mushrooms - I love them, so use them, brown up a can of them along with the ground beef/sausage

Cooking Time - I have always found this to be ready ahead of time - I check it at around 3.5 - 4 hours, and it's usually good by then.

I also find that adding either a tiny bit of sauce, plain water, or sometimes another egg to the cheese mixture makes it much easier to spread over the noodles prior to cooking.

Like I said - this is FAR from gourmet, but VERY easy, and economical. Please let me know if anybody makes it, and how you enjoyed it.
Thank you! I've copied this to my notes and will give it a bash! When you say lasagne noodles do you mean actual string noodles? That's not really a thing here but I have lasagne sheets!

I have also decided to make some Jamaican chickpea patties, I have some puff pastry, chickpeas and jerk seasoning. Maybe something fun and different!

Thank you! I've copied this to my notes and will give it a bash! When you say lasagne noodles do you mean actual string noodles? That's not really a thing here but I have lasagne sheets!
@Ellie Webbs Yep - the sheets.

And if you ever want desserts, I really don't bake anymore (and not now that my oven is broken), but used to make killer key lime pie, deep dish dutch apple pie, and lemon poppyseed Bundt cake! :)

I have been baking chocolate chip zucchini muffins - my first attempt was earlier this week. Everyone liked it so much I had to bake another batch the next day :) Even the dog was salivating for crumbs haha.

My DS17 started making pizza dough from scratch last week. Sooo good - fluffy and crispy and everything good.

My mother (who lives with us) has started baking sesame seed crackers. They have been disappearing like hot crackers ;) and she has had to bake extra batches every 1-2 days lol.

Good thing we bought a bag of flour from Costco in December! Half gone already lol.

Ingredients

1/2 lb. ground beef
15 ozs. Ricotta cheese
1 large egg

Instructions

This is just about how I make it but I usually use cottage cheese instead of ricotta. It may sound weird for lasagna but it's actually really good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter