Social Isolation Creative Meals

Making a beef stew in the crockpot sometime this week. Got my long-awaited grocery delivery today, and got most of the ingredients - beef, carrots, onion, celery Did not get the baby potatoes I ordered (out of stock) but will use some rice mixes I have (will just put the seasoning packets aside) I have to serve the stew over that. Definitely will have to start getting more and more creative as more and more people do the home delivery, and less and less items are in stock.

Making a beef stew in the crockpot sometime this week. Got my long-awaited grocery delivery today, and got most of the ingredients - beef, carrots, onion, celery Did not get the baby potatoes I ordered (out of stock) but will use some rice mixes I have (will just put the seasoning packets aside) I have to serve the stew over that. Definitely will have to start getting more and more creative as more and more people do the home delivery, and less and less items are in stock.

Try a bowl of stew with some bread or homemade Bannock for dipping.

I've made a lot of things in the crock pot since I'm home all day: taco soup, rigatoni and meat sauce, etc. I tried a new risotto recipe, but didn't care for it.

We bought some staples right before the quarantine started. But we have done grocery trips to pick up added ingredients and fresh foods.

@Ravens girl - For me, with mobility and physical issues, the biggest thing about he air fryer is the ease of being able to clean it, vs. a regular oven, which is VERY hard for me to get down, and in. It's also a lot easier to cook for one. And it's a heck of a lot faster than a regular oven. So I'm much more inclined to use the air fryer than even the stove top to make say a steak, and it comes out much juicier, crisper, browner. I got a fantastic deal on it from QVC, with a lot of stuff included, and was able to put it on interest free payments, so I always like something better when I feel I've gotten a great deal too. ;)

I also continue to love my crockpot too, especially for soups, like you mentioned, and I'll probably be making a beef stew in it next week, IF all of my ordered groceries - that I now have to order WAY AHEAD, and stress on even getting a spot - now that the WHOLE WORLD has started doing it too - arrive to be able to make the stew. I love how even obtaining the basics has become a dog-eat-dog rat race, and you have to stress about everything, and anything even showing up!
what else are you using the air fryer for? i have one and am just not creative i guess.

I have been making a lot of my usual taco/chilis like usual....half of the time seasoning from scratch or added to Mrs. Dash taco packets. I did chipotle Mrs. Dash on some thin pork chops Sunday for a fast meal which dh used it in leftover pasta dish that I have no name to it...but, it was Alfredo sauce inpired. We had steak with mushrooms and air fryer low sodium fries (Whole Foods). Last night, beef/pork/mushroom that was cooked a week before and froze was turned into chili lime taco bowls with brown rice and no salted added black beans. Tonight, a turkey Korma curry (Paiak's Original...200mg of sodium per serving for the sauce...turkey is like 100mg per serving) with maybe air fryer low sodium Wegmans Hash Brown/ diced potatoes (his choice). Tomorrow, defrosted chicken enchilada mixture from a week or so ago. Friday or Saturday a pasta with either a homemade red sauce or maybe a jar Alfredo sauce depending on our sodium counts.

what else are you using the air fryer for? i have one and am just not creative i guess.
Let's see - I've used the air fryer to heat up leftover pizza, mozzarella sticks, and that kind of stuff. I have used it to cook all different kinds of chicken - lemon pepper, BBQ, buffalo, and just assorted spices. Steak, pork chops, ribs, and a very small piece of pork. Also baked potatoes and frozen fries. Haven't used it to bake anything yet, but would like to try it. That's the stuff I can think of for right now. Have only had it a couple months.

Try putting a whole (small) chicken in the air fryer. Make sure to rub olive oil over the chicken and rub your spices in. crispy skin and very juicy inside.

We also cook our homemade chicken fingers ( dip in flour, then egg, then panko or other breading) ; or cook frozen chicken fingers from store.

homemade breaded fish (dip in flour, then egg, then panko or other breading)

Try putting a whole (small) chicken in the air fryer. Make sure to rub olive oil over the chicken and rub your spices in. crispy skin and very juicy inside.

We also cook our homemade chicken fingers ( dip in flour, then egg, then panko or other breading) ; or cook frozen chicken fingers from store.

homemade breaded fish (dip in flour, then egg, then panko or other breading)
how do you know how long to put it in for-the whole chicken?

Let's see - I've used the air fryer to heat up leftover pizza, mozzarella sticks, and that kind of stuff. I have used it to cook all different kinds of chicken - lemon pepper, BBQ, buffalo, and just assorted spices. Steak, pork chops, ribs, and a very small piece of pork. Also baked potatoes and frozen fries. Haven't used it to bake anything yet, but would like to try it. That's the stuff I can think of for right now. Have only had it a couple months.
i avoid using it at times because idk how long to cook things for and what temp to put it on.

i avoid using it at times because idk how long to cook things for and what temp to put it on.
Mine came with a cookbook - like I said - I got a wonderful deal from QVC for it - came with the cookbook, a bunch of accessories (fry basket, rotisserie attachment, 4 shelves, shish kebob skewers, 2 potholder hands thingies, and the cookbook). But - if you Google "how long to cook "X" in the air fryer, or go on YouTube and do same thing, I promise - tons of info will pop up - I do it all the time! I will say I haven't done it yet, but a friend said if you have the rotisserie attachment, the chicken comes out better/crispier/more evenly cooked that way, and you have to truss it up, to make sure it cooks evenly.

Last edited:
In our region of the uk they have cut our recycling collections by half so we burnt our cardboard and some scrap wood and cooked 'Casey's corner' hot dogs. I also melted some plastic cheese to put on top with a little French's mustard and it was almost like we were there! Took a lot less time too 😂

how do you know how long to put it in for-the whole chicken?

I just googled "air fryer whole chicken" and found a recipe from the Food Network.
It recommended cooking the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees F, or 50-60 minutes.

So what i did is set the timer for 60 minutes. but checked on the chicken at 50 minutes and used my meat thermometer to see if the chicken was cooked.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/air-fryer-roast-chicken-7217364

Last edited:
I just googled "air fryer whole chicken" and found a recipe from the Food Network.
It recommended cooking the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees F, or 50-60 minutes.

So what i did is set the timer for 60 minutes. but checked on the chicken at 50 minutes and used my meat thermometer to see if the chicken was cooked.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/air-fryer-roast-chicken-7217364
i don't have an internal thermometer. opinion without it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter