• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2021 (April 15-18, 2021) - Now Virtual Only

Well this is not unexpected but I didn't want to get this news on the final morning of my disney vacation. At least I got the email while at Animal Kingdom instead of when I was at Galaxy Edge the other day.

It would have been nice if they had made it virtual BEFORE Southwest opened up their flight reservations for the weekend - which happened YESTERDAY. Ugh!

I haven't had to deal with a "transition to virtual" event before. Is the gift card for the difference between the in-person race and virtual or is it in addition? If I want the difference applied to my credit card, is that an option?
You can get a full refund on any flight with any US carrier if you cancel within 24 hours of booking.

Weird that the medals are the exact same as last year.... I'll probably just get a refund, given that I did the race last year. If they had introduced something new I would definitely go for the virtual option.

I am disappointed at yet another race cancellation, but I agree with their decision not to have an in-person race given that we don't know how much vaccination will happen by April.

As soon as it's my turn for a vaccine, I am READY (I'm high-risk, I live 1.5 hours from the Pfizer covid vaccine manufacturing plant, and 5min from a huge research hospital with lots of great big vaccine freezers, so... sign me up NOW please, lol!)

Hope everyone gets vaccinated asap so we can get back to runDisney again!!

I’m surprised at the number of folks who are surprised at the medals being the same. They cancelled very close to the race weekend last year and didn’t offer a virtual option. It was far too close to cancel the order for the medals, so they’ve had them sitting around all year. Why would they go to the effort and cost of a redesign and ordering new ones when these were just sitting there unused?

I‘m hoping for a rapid rollout of the vaccines, as well, although I’ll probably be near the end of the priority list. I work in vaccine manufacturing, so I know the level of care and detail that goes into their development, testing and manufacturing. I have no concerns getting one as soon as available (although I would prefer to get the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine).

I’m surprised at the number of folks who are surprised at the medals being the same. They cancelled very close to the race weekend last year and didn’t offer a virtual option. It was far too close to cancel the order for the medals, so they’ve had them sitting around all year. Why would they go to the effort and cost of a redesign and ordering new ones when these were just sitting there unused?

I‘m hoping for a rapid rollout of the vaccines, as well, although I’ll probably be near the end of the priority list. I work in vaccine manufacturing, so I know the level of care and detail that goes into their development, testing and manufacturing. I have no concerns getting one as soon as available (although I would prefer to get the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine).
I could understand not doing a re-design, but they won't be last year's 2020 date stamped medals.

Medals are the same as 2020

View attachment 543278
Makes sense to use the medal designs they couldn't for this year.
We will see. Seems odd to remove with all the new star wars stuff announced yesturday. Maybe move away from movie and theme it for mando or rebels or clone wars. Wishful thinking I know.
The optimist in me says it's a move away from the Rival Run aspect. There's only so much you can do with always having to pit two characters against each other.
I'm done with running - I'm depressed.
Definitely cast a pall over my day.
Anyway, easy decision on the medals for me, gonna pass on these.
5K is an easy pass for me. I don't care enough about either character. I've spent the past few minutes arguing with myself about whether or not I should keep at some of the races. We'll see. I like the other medals, but at the same time I already have medals from Disneyland races featuring all of them except for a TIE Fighter. I go back and forth about the new Kessel Run medal. It will never top the original which remains my very favorite runDisney medal ever, but it is iconic Star Wars.
Now I need to decide what to do with my trip plans. I'm going in a few weeks for what would have been marathon weekend. Not sure I want to turn around and go back in april given current state of WDW (and I doubt much is going to change between Jan and April). May be best to wait till fall and hopefully by then WDW may be "more normal"
I'm evaluating everything as well. I had a great time at WDW last month, but I'm not sure I want to be masked up all day long in April heat and humidity.
Yeah I don't see them bailing on SW entirely, they just announced a boatload of content. I'm just baffled that they've kept the Rival Run theming this whole time, they were clearly running out of ideas to make it work.
I fear they kept Rival Run because it was a placeholder to allow Disneyland time to resume races. If Rival Run goes away, but Star Wars stays I think it means Disneyland races are gone for many more years if not forever.
This is one where they could go with Mando/Baby.
I want them to. Granted I have long thought a Mandalorian helmet alone would make for an awesome medal and just put baby Yoda on the other side.

These are different ribbons and they put 2021 on them so they did have to do some work. I personally would’ve liked to see new medals.

Think it’s more disappointment than anything else. It was def a possibility and the easy way out but I wasn’t enthusiastic with these medals in the first place so I was hopeful they’d change it up just for that reason.

Anybody know if runDisney will just let me buy a Starwars runDisney shirt without doing a virtual race? I have no resl interest in the metals but I'd like a challenge shirt. Will probabky get full refunds for our family of 5...

These are different ribbons and they put 2021 on them so they did have to do some work. I personally would’ve liked to see new medals.

Oh, I would’ve liked to see new medals, as well, as I wasn’t a big fan of them in the first place. I’m just not surprised to see them taking the cheaper way out.

Anybody know if runDisney will just let me buy a Starwars runDisney shirt without doing a virtual race? I have no resl interest in the metals but I'd like a challenge shirt. Will probabky get full refunds for our family of 5...
I doubt it but you can always email and ask I suppose.

Right but my read is Not Star Wars but something totally different. Again just my read.

I read it the same way!! Which in a way, will be great, because this will give my daughter who is 20 and started two years ago a chance at a perfect in her lifetime! She would never have that chance if they keep all the same races all the time!

You can get a full refund on any flight with any US carrier if you cancel within 24 hours of booking.

Southwest flights went live yesterday at 7:30 a.m. Disney posted the cancellation at 10:13 a.m. today - so just outside the 24 hours. Thankfully, I booked with points so I'm not out anything, but you know that there are people that got stuck by this.

Southwest flights went live yesterday at 7:30 a.m. Disney posted the cancellation at 10:13 a.m. today - so just outside the 24 hours. Thankfully, I booked with points so I'm not out anything, but you know that there are people that got stuck by this.

Like me... luckily I should have no problem using a travel credit

Ooops, you're right ... I think because they recycled the medal designs, I just forgot that I never actually received them. I did get my virtual medal last year and in my brain I just translated that to "I already got all these medals," lol!

I too was not enthused with these designs originally. I did like the challenge medal, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter