Straw Changes On Cruise

Hope they have something for people who have tree allergies. I will have to give up all drinking “drink of the day” options. I don’t drink coffee or soda so they we’re a nice option in addition to my standard drink of milk.

My head server, who has been there from the inception of DCL, said that you will be able to request a plastic straw still if needed.

My head server, who has been there from the inception of DCL, said that you will be able to request a plastic straw still if needed.
That would be so great. I didn’t even think to ask at Animal Kingdom and got the sticky Margarita all over my shirt. I felt so gross I asked my daughter if she minded that we leave early and skipped our reservations at the special light show that we had never seen.

On another page, someone just got off a 5 night double dip on the Dream and they said that all straws are gone except at bars, and those are paper. I imagine available for alcoholic and specialty kids drinks too. Someone else chimed in that there are also no plastic lids. There were plastic lids for the kids in the MDR, but I never saw them anywhere else on our 6/1 cruise. I'd say if you need a straw that's other than then be sure to bring your own just in case.....

On another page, someone just got off a 5 night double dip on the Dream and they said that all straws are gone except at bars, and those are paper. I imagine available for alcoholic and specialty kids drinks too. Someone else chimed in that there are also no plastic lids. There were plastic lids for the kids in the MDR, but I never saw them anywhere else on our 6/1 cruise. I'd say if you need a straw that's other than then be sure to bring your own just in case.....
No plastic lids?! Is there some alternative or just open cups with non lids at the self-serve drink station? I can just imagine the mess with kids everywhere with open cups on a moving ship! :)

That would be so great. I didn’t even think to ask at Animal Kingdom and got the sticky Margarita all over my shirt. I felt so gross I asked my daughter if she minded that we leave early and skipped our reservations at the special light show that we had never seen.
They won't give you a straw at Animal Kingdom even if asked because of the animals. Our zoo here does not have straws for that reason at their McDonalds.

I do hate the paper straws. They had this a few years back but DCL went back to plastic for some reason. Too many complaints maybe.

I don't know if Disney has changed their supplier but the ones I've had to use in AK in the past lasted just fine. My issue with them was the texture and the flavor they added to what I was drinking. The flavor wasn't real noticeable with soft drinks. They made water taste awful though.
If you were at WDW, are you sure it was the straw that made the water taste awful and it wasn't just their normal awful tasting water? :rotfl:

No plastic lids?! Is there some alternative or just open cups with non lids at the self-serve drink station? I can just imagine the mess with kids everywhere with open cups on a moving ship! :)

No lids on deck period. The only lids I saw ever on the 6/1 cruise was for little kids in the dining room.

We had paper straws and plastic lids on the Wonder near the end of May. The paper straws didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. I do have an issue with no lids and think there will be a lot of spills throughout the ship.

If you were at WDW, are you sure it was the straw that made the water taste awful and it wasn't just their normal awful tasting water? :rotfl:

:joker: :joker: :joker: There is some local water that is pretty awful. It's funny, some places at WDW the water is fine, other's it's yucky. o_O

Hope they have something for people who have tree allergies. I will have to give up all drinking “drink of the day” options. I don’t drink coffee or soda so they we’re a nice option in addition to my standard drink of milk.

I agree! I have an allergy to birch and I have found through trial and error that birch is in many of the thicker paper straws to help them last longer. Restaurants don't always seem to know what is in their straws so I have just stopped using them. I don't want to be stuck on the ocean having one of the odd allergy attacks that drinking from a birch straw causes!

I will bring some plastic ones just in case they ever stop having them as an option.

Thanks for the info, next cruise we'll bring our straws. I had an reaction to paper cup made from plant/tree am allergic to. GFS here I come.

Not that it's fully relevant, but I saw a post about a restaurant using hollow pasta noodles. Supposedly didn't change the flavor and lasted a while since you weren't boiling your drink lol.
I have a stash of metal straws I plan to take and a box of plastic from a restaurant store I'm going to grab to take with me. I need a straw for certain things and paper gets so soggy.
Although, we did stay at the HH resort in January and they were using a cardboard straw of some kind. We got about 4 refills out of it and it wasn't terrible. Seems different than what the cruise lines are using though.

No lids on deck period. The only lids I saw ever on the 6/1 cruise was for little kids in the dining room.

Great. Just great. With all the kids running around on the deck it's going to be a mess. I don't want soda spilled all over me. :sad2:

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.

On the Fantasy a few weeks ago I asked for lids at the drink station so that I could carry sodas back to our room. The nice cast member nearby said that they no longer had soda lids, but suggested I pour my sodas into the “hot drink” cups that still had lids being stocked.

So, as of June 2-9, the pool deck drink stations on the Fantasy still had hot drink cups and lids available, but no straws and no soda lids.

On the Fantasy a few weeks ago I asked for lids at the drink station so that I could carry sodas back to our room. The nice cast member nearby said that they no longer had soda lids, but suggested I pour my sodas into the “hot drink” cups that still had lids being stocked.

So, as of June 2-9, the pool deck drink stations on the Fantasy still had hot drink cups and lids available, but no straws and no soda lids.

Good to know. I have a nightly ritual of taking a cup of coffee back to my room after picking up the kids from the kids club. Was wondering how I was going to maneuver coffee and kids and elevators.
I’ll still have everyone bring there tervis. Just easier to have lids with kids.

When we were on June 20th, there were lids for the hot drink/coffee cups but not for the standard paper cups. I just ended up using those when needed (for the kids especially). We did all have our own bottles, but didn't always have it with us when we needed a drink.

We always buy a tervis for each family member right when sail away is done & shops open. Our last cruise, before we left, I ordered tervis straws & tervis straw lids & packed them. They are the easiest thing to pack & they were PERFECT! The tervis that they sell come with the sip lids, & tervis straws fit them perfectly. The reason we bought & brought on extra tervis straw LIDS in addition to the straws is that the ice stays forever so you can just leave the straw in it all the time. It has become the perfect scenario & then we all use our DCL tervis cups at home daily. They’re a great souvenir & no kids fighting over cups because they already have their own special ones that they got to pick out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter