Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are probably right about the equal or greater value which is a shame. If one person in my party can't go I would much rather just extend my stay and purchase one day tickets especially since we no longer have passes that are valid for more than 5 days unless we want to get into this flex or annual passes.

Although things might be different in Florida, according to this article the governor of California is now saying that he will not permit "mass gatherings" that involve "tens of thousands of strangers" until there is a vaccine or herd immunity. Such gatherings this summer are "not in the cards" according to the governor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...-dismisses-sporting-events-mass-gatherings-as

Counterpoint here is that, at the outset, he specifically stated that theme parks/Disneyland were distinct from things like music festival and conventions. Here’s what he said in March:

Newsom said “the complexity of their unique circumstances” required additional conversations with state officials later in the day before the state’s theme parks could potentially be included in the large gathering ban.

When asked by a reporter why Disneyland was more complex than music festivals and sporting events that had been canceled, Newsom called the theme park “a nation state, a campus environment.”

He said Disneyland was employing social distancing protocols including staggering people in seats on rides and new considerations in ride queues.

You are probably right about the equal or greater value which is a shame. If one person in my party can't go I would much rather just extend my stay and purchase one day tickets especially since we no longer have passes that are valid for more than 5 days unless we want to get into this flex or annual passes.
True. Hmmm well I will try to remember to ask if I can get through on Monday. I don’t have a land line anymore and calling from my cell will be pricy with the long wait but I can call from work

The expiration date for these Canadian tickets was extended to May of 2021 if that is of any help. I do think that you can amend the name on the ticket as long as this is done prior to it being used however, I would not count on a full refund.

As a reminder to everyone in this thread, certain websites are banned on the DIS Boards. Do not link to articles on these sites, post from these sites, or try to get around the ban on these sites. Your post will be deleted. Those sites are banned here for a reason. As we keep repeating here, this is a thread for official and accurate, factual news about the DLR Closure, not a thread for speculation, rumors, opinions, arguments, gossip, etc. This is not the thread for discussing the virus itself, public health policies, politics or political figures, opinions about politics or political figures, venting, ranting, or sarcasm. Please keep your posts respectful and courteous to others. Remember: hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the vehicle at ALL times. Thank you.

Which websites are banned?

The expiration date for these Canadian tickets was extended to May of 2021 if that is of any help. I do think that you can amend the name on the ticket as long as this is done prior to it being used however, I would not count on a full refund.
Changing the name would be ok for me I could put that ticket along with mine and upgrade for an annual pass maybe.
Thinking about an upcoming disney trip is helpful in keeping our spirits up even if it is postponed till next year.

Changing the name would be ok for me I could put that ticket along with mine and upgrade for an annual pass maybe.
Thinking about an upcoming disney trip is helpful in keeping our spirits up even if it is postponed till next year.
One 'like' is not enough for this post! We are supposed to be travelling in August and I cant quite bring myself to cancel just yet but I'm starting to consider when we could go in 2021. There are just so many unknowns it's hard to even think about planning at all; the usual trends we all follow regarding how busy the park will be around certain times are probably all going to change, school calendars and sports activities may all get shuffled. Sigh. I just plug away working from home listening to my in-Park Disney music and try to find my happy place

Last edited:

Counterpoint here is that, at the outset, he specifically stated that theme parks/Disneyland were distinct from things like music festival and conventions. Here’s what he said in March:

The announcement was March 12. Disneyland closed IIRC 2 days later. I think the 'exemption' that Gov Newsom granted was not to allow theme parks (et al) to continue operation, but to give them extra time for an 'orderly shutdown' due to their massive sizes, as opposed to other businesses who were expected to close at the end of that business day (3/12).

Disney Parks aren't going to be allowed to open (IMHO) any earlier than any other 'mass gathering places'. Maybe DTD will when other outdoors shopping areas do, perhaps the onsite hotels will when other hotels are allowed to reopen. But I don't think the actual parks will reopen any earlier than, say, an MLB stadium or huge theatre/concert hall.

That's just my opinion based on what I was told by someone whose job is involved with large venue bookings and what they're being told as far as the future.

Although things might be different in Florida, according to this article the governor of California is now saying that he will not permit "mass gatherings" that involve "tens of thousands of strangers" until there is a vaccine or herd immunity. Such gatherings this summer are "not in the cards" according to the governor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...-dismisses-sporting-events-mass-gatherings-as

it’s actually not his decision..... he’s just a mouthpiece. It’s ultimately up to the county health officials. We are new to California, so I’m not sure if the city of Anaheim has a say or what, but the ultimate authority lies with the county. At least, that was how I interpreted the law as I read it. @DLgal may have better information.

How are United's policies right now? Are they being accommodating?

More so than I expected them to be. We had basic economy tickets and first was told no way to change tickets/get credits since they’re the cheapest ticket fare. But then a few days later I got an email saying I had until April 30th to cancel and keep a flight credit if I wanted one. I cancelled it a few days ago and had no issues- got a flight credit for two years for the amount I paid and I was refunded the cost of my seat reservations back to my credit card.

So it seems like they’re being fair right now? I felt like I had no choice but to cancel our summer tickets with that offer rather than risk losing out. But in the small, small chance we can go this summer it looks like we’d pay more to rebook because the flight prices went up. 🤷‍♀️

it’s actually not his decision..... he’s just a mouthpiece. It’s ultimately up to the county health officials. We are new to California, so I’m not sure if the city of Anaheim has a say or what, but the ultimate authority lies with the county. At least, that was how I interpreted the law as I read it. @DLgal may have better information.

Pretty much everything the governor says is a suggestion unless a state of Marshall Law is declared.. Nothing is enforceable at the county or city level, not even the current "stay at home" order. Every county, and within it, every city, is the ultimate decider of what they will enforce within their boundaries.

I live in Orange County. Our health department makes recommendations. With those, cities make their own sets of "rules" that they can then enforce. Businesses that hold County licenses can be shut down by a County order (restaurants, massage places, salons, etc fall under this, as do small businesses).

My city has taken things as far as REQUIRING that both workers and patrons wear face coverings when conducting essential business. Violations are fined at $500 per occurrence. This is not in place in other cities in the county, although the county has recommended that people wear face coverings when outside their homes.

On the matter of Disneyland opening, ultimately, it will come down to what the County and the City of Anaheim will allow. The county will determine when Downtown Disney businesses may reopen as normal. From what I know, hotels ARE still open, they were not ordered to close, although they may not operate restaurants and bars within them right now, so services are limited. The DL resort hotels likely could, technically open up now, but that wouldn't make any sense financially.

What I think will happen is that Downtown Disney will reopen first, as soon as restaurants and shops are given the green light in OC. Then, the parks. I actually think the hotels will come online last.

I think the Disney company will exert a large amount of influence at the local level to get the ball rolling on reopening businesses sooner rather than later.

I don't expect sporting events to begin until late fall, if even this year. Ditto large events like conventions. The logistics involved in those things is vastly more complicated than reopening a theme park. I also think outdoor music concerts will start up sooner than indoor ones.

It does not matter the name of the person buying the ticket, for our now cancelled trip my wife and I had bought my daughters and her friends tickets and it would not have made any difference until they had activated them so you should be fine that way. As for the refund, as the date was already posted by @sherilaine , I have not looked into that as even in the event that we cant go this year the May 31 2021 date still works for us. I did look at our tickets and it does say:
1. Tickets, and associated features and entitlements such as Disney MaxPass, are nonrefundable, nontransferable, revocable and may not be redeemed for cash. Each ticket admits one person.

However I think they may be a lot more flexible on this considering the unusual circumstances associated with Covid 19. I think the only way to know is to actually phone Disney and talk with someone.

Last edited:
We bought 5 x 4 day passes. Got to use 2 of the 4 days as we were there the Thurs Friday before the closure on Saturday. So we're already out flights, hotel etc.

Disney has offered us a refund of $34 a ticket for the two remaining days left on them. Or of course the extension that's currently available.

We bought 5 x 4 day passes. Got to use 2 of the 4 days as we were there the Thurs Friday before the closure on Saturday. So we're already out flights, hotel etc.

Disney has offered us a refund of $34 a ticket for the two remaining days left on them. Or of course the extension that's currently available.
You only used 1/2 the days on the ticket and they're only offering you $34/ticket? 🤦‍♀️

Pretty much everything the governor says is a suggestion unless a state of Marshall Law is declared.. Nothing is enforceable at the county or city level, not even the current "stay at home" order. Every county, and within it, every city, is the ultimate decider of what they will enforce within their boundaries.

Unfortunately for Anaheim, that's not how preemption works at the state level. States are the sovereign authority and the counties and municipalities are merely political subdivisions of the state. Newsom has already stated that he will only allow stricter regulations: "This is a statewide order. Depending on the conditions in their area, local officials may enforce stricter public health orders. But they may not loosen the state’s order."

As you note, Anaheim surely will want to allow Disney to reopen as soon as Disney wants to reopen, but ultimately the governor makes that decision (including deciding whether to leave the decision up to Anaheim). And as of this week he is saying he does not anticipate mass gatherings to be allowed this summer.

We have the Canadian resident tickets too. We are supposed to be there now actually.

When I called we asked about refunds and were told there were definitely not being refunds offered, at least to this point. Otherwise yes, extended to May 2021, and at any point after the value can be added to new tickets. Did not ask about name changes.

We have the Canadian resident tickets too. We are supposed to be there now actually.

When I called we asked about refunds and were told there were definitely not being refunds offered, at least to this point. Otherwise yes, extended to May 2021, and at any point after the value can be added to new tickets. Did not ask about name changes.
How long did it take you to get through?

Ok I broke down and called haha..

The cast member was great, she said the same as above no refund given but the price we paid for the ticket can always be used towards another ticket.

You are able to change the name on the ticket when you go to use that ticket at the gate there is no way to change it before hand.

You can't split the amount of that ticket cost with lower value tickets though. So has to be an upgraded ticket or one purchase the same ticket but pay the new higher rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter