Taking a beating in the stock market

Yep to add onto this, it will bounce back and probably be higher than it was before it dropped. If you have extra money or you're looking to invest, now's the time to invest. It's a buyer's market for sure right now.
Yep, as an advisor I can’t make a blanket statement like that because it’s considered direct advice. But it is typically a great strategy to dollar cost average and take advantage of a down market. Especially when all indicators are showing this is a direct result of coronavirus uncertainty and not actual macroeconomic indicators that proceed an actual recession.

I’m down 7% YTD. Don’t feel bad. It sucks.

up 9000 points since 2016 so my hubby could retire now if he wanted to so I’m grateful! Didn’t hear a lot of people posting with their fortune was good past four years. I choose to see it glass half full and count my blessings and buy, buy, buy now! I’m not going to let gloom and doom media scare me from buying what I want and traveling when I want. I never hear people staying home for seasonal flu which has killed 10,000 in US this season alone so not giving into the hype now either. Just remember it sells more airtime and newspapers when there is a supposed disaster so I take it with a grain of salt.

good time to get some Google or Apple stock. my Clorox and Lakeland are up. Lakeland makes hazmat gear

Hey, stocks are on sale!

We are overdue for a correction/recession. The stock market and the economy are cyclical - and there isn't anything anyone - not the government, not individuals, not corporations - can do to stabilize it so that they never have down periods. It can be triggered by dozens of things - natural disaster, health crisis, a big company hitting a financial problem. The good news is that they have always in the past gone back up after some period of time.

What might u suggest for a 21 yr old putting $1500 in a ira this tax year? College student. Earned with part time job. Also will ask financial guy this week. Curious your opinion.

Everything is just on sale. That is how we look at it. Bought a bunch of stock on Friday!

We're about a year or two out from retirement...so we absorbed the great bull run last fall, and exited with our pockets stuffed as soon as I heard about the virus spreading. We only have a wee bit in securities now and are happy as clams we aren't stressing. If retirement weren't knocking at the door, we wouldn't be concerned. We've ridden it out before. If you're young-ish, hang tight. :-)

Well, you gotta have $ to "lose" $!

I just got lucky in life majoring in engineering getting a good job right out of college and living in a city that has high salaries and medium cost of living. Only lately has it gotten completely out of control. I also was lucky to meet my wife at work who also majored in civil engineering. She is much more civil than I though. :)

What might u suggest for a 21 yr old putting $1500 in a ira this tax year? College student. Earned with part time job. Also will ask financial guy this week. Curious your opinion.

I would go with a basic index fund. It's nothing fancy, but the student is young and, I assume, knows very little about investing. He/she can branch out at a later point. The important thing is to get started.

I read online that we’re in for another 2008. The Dow will hit 15,000 this year! I’m moving my 401k to cash as soon as I get into work this morning!

Market corrections usually help folks remember that you should never be 100% exposed to the market, and you should lower your exposure as you age, and rebalance your portfolio anytime it gets wildly out of balance.

As for me, I expect that we'll see some more drop by the end of the year (in a rollercoaster ups and downs way)...when, who knows, you can't time the market. And when you think you can, you'll just be wrong (last weekend, I bet my husband that the Dow would drop to 25K in 2 weeks after coronavirus had gotten out...didn't move money...and it only took 1 week)...and even knowing it's dropping, I have planned plateaus where I'll be buying if they hit there (I did buy at 25K)...I was already 50% balanced in cash/safe vs stocks before this year ever started, so I'll need to rebalance back as the year goes.

If I'm wrong and it doesn't drop further, I won't need to rebalance:)...

I am one of the very upset people as I am 4 years out from retirement!
I'm less than a year out. Not upset at all. Financial adviser shifted us into annuities that have locked in values.....provided you take the annual distributions, and don't cash them in. Haven't lost a penny there. Now, my remaining stock investments have gone down $60,000 this year, but are still up $150,000 from 3 years ago.

We are retired but have at least a 30 year more lifetime expectation, so still have quite a bit in stocks. Over the last few years we have moved some into fixed income vehicles so I am not sweating it much. I think at our age it is important to have enough in cash equivalents to ride out a 1-2 year downturn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter