• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Vmk Closing May 21 Cry

Reasons? They wanted to make money from the 50th celebration - they did.

They are no longer generating any revenues from VMK. Disney will not spend money on anything that does not earn them money.

Sorry, I just did not want to be the "Voice of Doom"

The thing is they could have been generating revenue. They took out the park quest. The extra items we could buy etc. Of course it was no longer generating money. But they could have solved that issue easily.

Heck I even joined disney movie club. Since I thought might as well get the benefits. Once I buy my required dvd not buying anymore. I am not a big DVD person. Only because of VMK did I buy Herbie the Love Bug. Hated the movie loved the VMK code.

The extra park tickets to get more quest items. I bought pirate pins, I hate pirates rofl.

I bought extra ears. Not an ear wearer because I want VMK gold ears.

So they could have kept going. I would say because of VMK I probably spend over a 1,000 more than I would have. I am sure others have spent even more. Lets see 250,000 active players not that is no chump change.

Too bad the lack of comunications ruined this game. VMK broke our hearts many times in the game and now they do it again. :sad1:

omg omg omg omg i hate yavn so much why would he do this why i think we should all send a message saying to keep it open and convince them because its not just a game its a legacy

The thing is they could have been generating revenue. They took out the park quest. The extra items we could buy etc. Of course it was no longer generating money. But they could have solved that issue easily.

Heck I even joined disney movie club. Since I thought might as well get the benefits. Once I buy my required dvd not buying anymore. I am not a big DVD person. Only because of VMK did I buy Herbie the Love Bug. Hated the movie loved the VMK code.

The extra park tickets to get more quest items. I bought pirate pins, I hate pirates rofl.

I bought extra ears. Not an ear wearer because I want VMK gold ears.

So they could have kept going. I would say because of VMK I probably spend over a 1,000 more than I would have. I am sure others have spent even more. Lets see 250,000 active players not that is no chump change.

Too bad the lack of comunications ruined this game. VMK broke our hearts many times in the game and now they do it again. :sad1:

I have to agree on this. Disney HAS been making money off of our family because of this game. I know for us to have had at least 800 points in the movie rewards just this past year, we had to have bought at least 8 dvds! And, considering most are about $24 a pop, that was well over a $100 for our family alone. And this is just a conservative estimate of what we have bought the past year. I know it's actually been more.
We too would not have bought most of these dvds either. Our kids are now 14 and 19 and are not interested in most of this type on a regular basis.
I'll probably wind up donating some of them to someone!

For a game that was supposedly marketed toward 8 to 14yrs old players, there are a whole LOT of families on here who are spending good dollars to make our families (and selves;)) happy in this game. We've probably spent more than we would have with a paid membership.

We haven't been to the parks since almost three years ago, my but sister's family has and spent money on this game while there. I even sent money with
her to buy ears for my youngest nephew so i could get the virtual gold ears. lol
So even if their own vmk statistics don't show any money earned, all anyone has to do is look at the other areas. It's there, it's just not showing up in an expected area....
Kim

Host_Hurricane came visit us on Main Street last night we thanked him for being such a great person and thanked him for all the fun stuff they do with the players.

:thumbsup2

knew this day would come and was surprised it's lasted this long! when i started playing i just start highschool and now i'll be starting my last year in the fall lol....met some cool ppl, fought with some cool ppl, and had a good time overall....thanks vmk, enjoyed the ride--it's time to take a different flight now ;) :grouphug:

I am sick over this. VMK has brought me so many hours of fun. The other online games Disney offers do not interest me and if VMK closes, I won't join them just as a substitute. This is such a sad day.

well so what I expected has come to be true. VMK is closing I suspected it many months ago with the aqisition club penguin and Pirates Online. Fortunately I play both. Ban me if you want VMK but you can find me on Pirates I am SneekyTiki on Pirates of The Caribbean. On Club Penguin I am Peachy Tiki. Some of you I have already met RoyalCoralQeen and SparklePixie on Pirates. For those who do not play other games I encourage you to join in the fun. I know it is sad but we can be together if we play other games together. If you need any help with either game just let me know. Yes I too am shedding tears but I hope to see you all soon in other Disney games. This is truely a sad day for all of us. Sorry you are all hurting now. Everything happens for a reason so maybe this out time to come together some place else??

Sorry, but those are not my type of games. I've tried POTCO and didn't even like it at all.

None of those games really have the Disney Magic about them. Those are just games. VMK is not just a game. It's a virtual version of the real parks.
I love logging in and being able to play in the Haunted Mansion, ride the Jungle Cruise and hang out on Main Street every single day. I love seeing all my favorite lands.
I just love the Disney Magic.

There is no other place to do that except at a real park.
This is why I started playing and why I still continue to play.

Sorry, there just is no substitute for VMK and you will not see me playing those other games.

I have to agree on this. Disney HAS been making money off of our family because of this game. I know for us to have had at least 800 points in the movie rewards just this past year, we had to have bought at least 8 dvds! And, considering most are about $24 a pop, that was well over a $100 for our family alone. And this is just a conservative estimate of what we have bought the past year. I know it's actually been more.
We too would not have bought most of these dvds either. Our kids are now 14 and 19 and are not interested in most of this type on a regular basis.
I'll probably wind up donating some of them to someone!

For a game that was supposedly marketed toward 8 to 14yrs old players, there are a whole LOT of families on here who are spending good dollars to make our families (and selves;)) happy in this game. We've probably spent more than we would have with a paid membership.

We haven't been to the parks since almost three years ago, my but sister's family has and spent money on this game while there. I even sent money with
her to buy ears for my youngest nephew so i could get the virtual gold ears. lol
So even if their own vmk statistics don't show any money earned, all anyone has to do is look at the other areas. It's there, it's just not showing up in an expected area....
Kim

This is what they need to know. That other areas of the company have profitted directly because of this game.

I've been a VMK member since the day after it opened in Beta. This is by no means a shock... and was expected by several of us.

What you need to keep in mind is that forums like these represent a very small portion of those that play the game. Just because "everyone on the dis" bought DVDs for movie rewards... doesn't mean that "everyone in vmk" did. Similar to the parks, forums like these represent a very, very small portion of actual guests/players.

It's a shame, but I'm grateful for the time spent and the people VMK exposed me to. I've had lots of laughs, smiles, bans (lets not get into that), and overall VMK served as an amazing outlet through the good times and bad.

No tears here... "Don't cry because its over... smile because it happened"... and I think thats very fitting for several of us and the relationships we've created; closing a virtual game can never take those away.

Good luck with your letters...

Irishhockey

Just read the news, no tears here, I'm not in the least upset, a little surprised they are closing it though.

I was VERY upset when I lost my original character Scampi, through no fault of my own, I had her from day 1 of VMK (beta) and lost so much stuff. I did play another character now and again, but VMK was never the same for me especially as I used to be on daily for hours.

I have since replaced VMK with another "time waster" and have made some great new friends! :)

Oh yes, no more lagging/crashing/lost connections - see, look at the positives!!! :thumbsup2

I still can't believe this..
I'll miss all of my friends.
I've had so much fun on VMK and without it i would of never ended up here meeting everyone.
Gahh this is so sad. D:

Hard to know what to say except I will try to get on these next two weeks to say goodbye to my good friends - several of whom I have met in other places, but first met on VMK!

As a POC player, I hope some of you will join that venue - it is great fun, for me - and there are good forums.

I read Webmaster Kelsey's message about the VMK area of the DIS boards - I hope that something can stay open here for conversation and hugs!

My own feelings- VMK was a great free promotion, which I think many of us knew would someday end. I was surprised a few times when it kept on going.

Yavn is an employee of the company - not terrible and not perfect. He may or may not have had a hand in the decision to end VMK, but it does not really matter. I thought his visit with Slinkyman and his friends and family in the "real" world was a super act, and made up for a lot of his weak customer support after that time.

The level of caring expressed on this board for the Disney aspect of VMK shows me that the true value of the game was in the social network that was created. I think we are the nicest group of VMK fans around, really trying to support and root for each other in all situations.

I hope VMK can support all the visits the last day! I want to end Peri in her own little briarpatch room, in her rocker, looking at her fire - where I log her out each time her play day ends ...

I do heart you, my Dis friends, and hope to see you in all things Disney related for many many more years!

More goodbyes coming!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know that most here these days dont know me, but for those of you who do remember me, I thank you for the memories. VMK will always hold a special place in my heart. Having brought to me a special love, SorcMickey. Having met at the beginning of VMK and continuing to this day, I am grateful that a silly Virtual World has impacted my life in such a way. Thank you Yavn. princess:

I really didn't think I would shed tears over this day but I am. I'm just not ready for it. I tell you what though, this is what Disney does when too many people complain. I've seen it before with in park events. I used to go to the Happy Haunts Events for the Haunted Mansion. People complained about various aspects of the event, Disney got tired of it, and eventually canceled the event. I thought about this last week with all the quest drama that if people complained enough they may very well close the game and it looks like that is exactly what they are doing in true Disney style. Sigh.

Well, I might be interested in this fairies game. Does anyone know anything about that? Honestly I don't need to get involved with another game. I have family, other hobbies, and constant housework that needs to be done. Then again, I guess I feel a sudden void that needs to be filled.

I'm so sick I feel like I can't even bear to go on anymore, like it's a complete waste of my time. I bet a lot of folks are going to feel that way from here on out. All good things come to an end eventually but none of us were really prepared. :sad1:

This makes me very sad. The only true reason I like vmk was the friends I had on there and through DIS.

Hugs to everyone.
Dianne

I really hate that it's closing. Wasnt really a big deal at first, but it hit me during last period of school today that "OMG VMK IS CLOSING!"

So I just told my 7 yr old msbob and he called his grandmother and read her the newsletter word for word how sad. He said its no more. Why even play now!:sad1:

I HATE Yavn right now I decided! He lied to us, he did say vmk wasn't going anywhere. What a liar! Thanks alot Yavn!

OMG you're right! One of the past newsletters Yavn said "Haha, don't
worry, VMK's not going anywhere!"

And also why would they start out 2008 with magical new year months? Why
would Yavn promise great plans throughout 2008 only to end it less than
half way through the year?

Obviously something recently decided to make them close it. They had
plans for the year, like TCG Advanced for example. They had plans to keep it
open for a lot longer.

What happened, no one knows, but I'm so very sad!

:sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

EDIT: Yavn also said just because VMK Central was closing didn't mean VMK was closing anytime
soon.

Oh my gosh... what will I do this summer and... we need to keep some board to stay in contact and stuff..... :sad1:

OH MY GOSH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter