Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a joke, but I have been thinking this over the past few months. I've been planning / waiting for Disney50 for a couple of years now, and my planned date is for May 2022 - hoping that I can garner as much new experience as I can for my buck. But I am feeling now that we'll only be getting half of what was planned for us. I almost feel that I'd rather wait another one to two years to get everything that they'd planned for us. So with that being said... It made me wonder if they may need or want to revamp the DISNEY50 extravaganza. It may really be in they year of "Disney 52".... but call it off and start the celebration in 2023. People will still fall all over themselves to be there, and we will all be happy to blame it on Covid, as it is indeed the Culprit. Disney 75 can just start up to its correct date / timing.
The 50th can roll into the 40th which can run into the 100th. They don’t really need to delay, WDW is set for anniversaries for a couple years.

Makes me wonder if now they will really play up Disney Company's 100th since the 50th won't get to be as big as it was originally supposed to be.

I think they were going to regardless of what happened this year. The central theme of D23 in 2022 has been confirmed to be the 100th anniversary plans. To me, that anniversary has more of an impact than any of these theme park anniversary’s. Without the creation of TWDC, there are no theme parks to celebrate the anniversary’s of.

The point is, they’re not going to cancel an anniversary just because they won’t have completed projects they targeted to by October 1st. It’s the celebration of WDW turning 50, not the celebration of Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. WDW’s existence doesn’t pause just because those rides aren’t completed

And by May of 2022, they’re likely going to have everything completed (that hasn’t been cancelled) that they announced to have been working on. The Epcot work as far as I remember wasn’t promised to be ready by the 50th. From reports, it didn’t even sound like SSE would have been started and completed in time even if it stayed on course with a start date of May 28th, 2020. The only thing you may miss in May of 2022 is the last hoorah of Splash Mountain, but that’s not even set in stone that they’ll close it by then.

The point is, they’re not going to cancel an anniversary just because they won’t have completed projects they targeted to by October 1st.

It’s the celebration of WDW turning 50, not the celebration of Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. WDW’s existence doesn’t pause just because those rides aren’t completed

And by May of 2022, they’re likely going to have everything completed (that hasn’t been cancelled) that they announced to have been working on. The Epcot work as far as I remember wasn’t promised to be ready by the 50th. From reports, it didn’t even sound like SSE would have been started and completed in time even if it stayed on course with a start date of May 28th, 2020. The only thing you may miss in May of 2022 is the last hoorah of Splash Mountain, but that’s not even set in stone that they’ll close it by then.

I certainly did not get this from your first response.

Who said WDW's "existence" would pause.
If these rides weren't schedule to be a part of of Disney50, then certainly, no concerns. If things have been delayed or canceled that were supposed to be a part of the DISNEY50 celebration - indeed attendees will feel like they are missing out on experiences - if they have been planning this for the past couple of years.

If indeed all (not most - what's missing in "most" ?) of what was planned will still be included in the celebration, then no concerns for people like me. But, if we are only getting an abbreviated experience of what was planned for Disney50, I will abbreviate my plans (length of stay) as well. Not going to lose my mind over it... but my plans of an extended stay will indeed change depending upon the degree of uncompleted projects. SSE was reported to take 2 years, and would have still fallen in to Disney50/May 2022. Yes, we can always factor in delays, (as there obviously have been), but it still would have fallen into the Disney50 celebration under the estimated time of 2 years (especially if completed before the projected time). And even with some asserting that Epcot in general was going to be a mess until 2023... it would not be mess... it would still be spruced up with new additions, and SSE would have been prize new edition. Based on Disney's report that it would take 2 years, then DISNEY50 was a part of that plan. Yes, I know that a lot of the "little" things are still taking place (like the new WDW entrance sign), and those things mean a lot, which is why I am making plans to attend in the later months of the celebration.
And should the "celebration" called Disney50 actually fall into a celebration the likes of EPCOT35........ the horrors. They would not be moving or pushing attractions... they would only be moving the name of an event. Again... the horrors.

is this an adjustment of tag lines? I always understood it that the Magic Kingdom was the "Most Magical Place on Earth" and then Walt Disney World as a whole was "Where Dreams Come True"

was going to say something snarky- but why oh why could not the Bobs, just left ‘where dreams come true alone’. And adding the tagline on a sign which you could find at any strip mall, just speaks to the creative bankruptcy of the current Disney Management.

The point is, they’re not going to cancel an anniversary just because they won’t have completed projects they targeted to by October 1st. It’s the celebration of WDW turning 50, not the celebration of Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind. WDW’s existence doesn’t pause just because those rides aren’t completed

besides what were you expecting at the 50’th besides 19.95 cupcakes and some flashy signage and ‘influencer events’

Makes me wonder if now they will really play up Disney Company's 100th since the 50th won't get to be as big as it was originally supposed to be.
As someone who got to go to Disneyland’s great 60th Diamond Anniversary I can assure you the next one WDW will really play up is no further away than the 60th :)

Question: I know they don’t have official dates for the 50th celebration, but does anyone remember what was done for the 25th? I have points that expire May 2022 and I much rather go on sept 2022 however I still want to experience the 50th. I’m trying to plan whether to bank the points I can and rent the ones that expire May 2022. Main reason is bc I’m pregnant and I rather wait a few months after his/her 1st to go down there.

Question: I know they don’t have official dates for the 50th celebration, but does anyone remember what was done for the 25th? I have points that expire May 2022 and I much rather go on sept 2022 however I still want to experience the 50th. I’m trying to plan whether to bank the points I can and rent the ones that expire May 2022. Main reason is bc I’m pregnant and I rather wait a few months after his/her 1st to go down there.

We don't know for sure but all signs point to nothing starting until Oct 1st. I suspect it will run a full year, to the end of Sept 2022 and then on Oct 1, 2022 they start the EPCOT 40th celebration that will run until Oct 15th 2023 and then on Oct 16th they start the celebratory year for the Walt Disney Company's 100th anniversary.

In any event I would be very surprised if there isn't some sort of celebration going on in Sept 2022

The celebration should run for at least one year. Disneyland’s 60th which was the most recent theme park anniversary celebration ran for about 15 months and their 50th ran for just shy of 18 months.

I think they’ll take a 6-9 month break between the 50th celebration ending and TWDC 100th anniversary starting to give a little bit of a break and change a few of the 50th aesthetics over to the 100th. If they were to start that celebration on the actual anniversary date it would be October 16th, 2023. So if I were to guess, based on just my own speculation, that would have the 50th anniversary run from Oct 2021 to Jan-April 2023. So in total somewhere between 15-18 months. My guess is probably April 2023, as others have stated 18th months usually is the benchmark for these things.

October 1 park reservations ( all 3 types) all booked for MK. Sure hope they open more as not all my party has tickets/reservations yet.

They will. You’re seeing a lot of local government giving the OK to re open, Cuomo wants events (theater, sporting events, etc) up and running in NY by March. I believe I heard California is looking to re open a lot soon too. And throw the vaccine into the mix. I find it hard to imagine WDW won’t be running at least to close tofull capacity by Oct 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter