What’s you prediction for return to normal travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't tell you the exact date cruises will be back to normal, but I can tell you that on Dec.6 the Fantasy will be pulling away from port. It may be being paddled by me with a long paddle from deck 4, but it will be going. LOL.

In all seriousness I hope and think things will get back to normal before or around September. Though as others have mentioned it will be a different, adjusted normal.
Glad you found a new cruise!

Me too and its a longer, better cruise. We also originally only got a 100% credit for the new cruise. But once the whole April 25th cruise was canceled Disney added the extra 25%. I really appreciated that as they didn't really have to since we had already rebooked.
Am I concerned about travelling with this floating around in the air like an invisible sniper. Of course I am. Especially my age and preexisting condition. But am I going to let it dictate how I live. Am I going to lock myself indoors and never go out. Nope that's not going to happen. If borders are open for me to get in and out of the USA and the ships sailing then Ill be there. Will I carry hand sanitizers and wash my hands a thousand times a day and distance as best I can onboard....yes to that also.

Glad you found a new cruise!

Me too and its a longer, better cruise. We also originally only got a 100% credit for the new cruise. But once the whole April 25th cruise was canceled Disney added the extra 25%. I really appreciated that as they didn't really have to since we had already rebooked.
Am I concerned about travelling with this floating around in the air like an invisible sniper. Of course I am. Especially my age and preexisting condition. But am I going to let it dictate how I live. Am I going to lock myself indoors and never go out. Nope that's not going to happen. If borders are open for me to get in and out of the USA and the ships sailing then Ill be there. Will I carry hand sanitizers and wash my hands a thousand times a day and distance as best I can onboard....yes to that also.
Glad it’s an even better cruise, too. Have you been on the Fantasy before? We will be on the April 17 cruise on the Fantasy in concierge for the first and probably ONLY time. (Thanks to going on the last WBPC cruise and the discount we got.) It will be a pregraduation Cruise for our son. His favorite ship is the Fantasy. Enjoy!

Now that New Orleans has the five minute test I think that cruising has a better chance to come back come July or August.

My kid's preschool is making me laugh because that's really all there is to do. She only went about 5 days before they closed this month. I got an email from them saying that several parents have asked about refunds and they said they are looking into it but they would have problems making their payroll. I don't know what they're going to do about April.

Here's the thing...you don't get to tell your employees that you're going to pay them and be the good employer when really it's everyone else who is paying the school for a service no longer being rendered. It would be the same thing as if Disney just didn't refund anybody whose vacation got cancelled this month and then immediately released the story about how they are going to continue to pay cast members throughout the duration of the pandemic.
It is absolutely not the same thing as if Disney were doing it.

As a teacher with 20 years experience at different types of schools, I can tell you that schools operate off of lean budgets, and as they are mostly nonprofits, they cannot fairly be compared to major international corporations like Disney.

As a private school parent, I can tell you that I absolutely would not want my son's school to risk financial insolvency or a significant loss of staff in order to refund parents' tuition for the period of time that the school was ordered to close. The school did not choose to close, and they really do have to pay their staff. It will not benefit my child at all to lose any of his teachers, or for them to be stressed and distracted about not being paid.

I wonder if someone will make it mandatory or if cruise lines will voluntarily make changes to the A/C systems so they are more hygenic. If I recall, one of the problems on the current ships is that, unlike an airplane, the air just recirculates, which is a perfect storm for spreading an airborne virus. It may happen via drydocks, or it may become a condition of being allowed to sail from specific ports, but I bet something will have to happen and that's going to be a big expense.

My dh was a commercial airline pilot when 9/11 occurred. He got laid off for nearly two years. He no longer flies, but still works in the aviation industry. I'm worried lay offs will be even longer this go around. Schools have been cancelled for a week now with at least 2 more weeks to go. I'm afraid they will be cancelled for the rest of the school year. We have great teachers, but being stuck at home trying to figure out how to do 6 grade math is my nightmare!
Any school teachers(especially middle school)on here:worship::worship: God bless you!!!
I’ve been a homeschool mom for the past five years. If you’re struggling with math, check out the website Khan Academy. They have videos that teach specific math content. You just to enter what you want. (Decimals, lowest common denominator, etc). Good luck!

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Temperature scanning stick around for cruises and even at airports after this. I actually would fully support that new normal since we can’t count on people to do the right thing and not travel when they’re sick.
the problem is, that does nothing to help control the spread of Covid. Makes people feel better and give other the impression that things are then in their control by denying a person to board if they have a temp.. but that person with no temp just boarded and has the virus.

But I bet you take your shoes off at airports and only carry 3 ounce liquids. And that is theater.

This virus kills people.

Speicher46 is not wrong.

There are a lot of things that can kill us, we are very fragile creatures. We cannot let a fear of Death stop up from living our lives, if we did, then we would never do anything. 14K people die in their bathtubs each year. People die from choking on food, tripping and falling in their house. Yes, we should take precautions against this stealthy bug, which is it's real danger, but not give up our lives. On top of all that, we have short memories, next year, for a vast majority of us, we will only remember anything of this when we see memories pop up on Facebook. Yes, there will be some permanent changes, but we will forget why those are done.

I fully expect to be back in the Parks in May, and I won't hesitate to go. I have no doubt that the convention that I am planning on attending at the end of July in Indianapolis will happen. I have no worry that my booked New Year's Eve trip to Disneyland will occur. And my May 2021 Alaska sailing is in no danger. And if the cruises start sailing again, and there is a great Florida Resident discount and I have the time and money for a cruise in the Fall, I'm on it. But, this is me. If you don't feel comfortable, then do what you feel you must. But, FDR once said "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself".

Reading different points of view here is interesting.

Then jumping to today's news that areas in China opened public places such as parks and it's right away overcrowded in interesting as well.

How will Disney be when it opens again? Parks and Cruises. Social media seems divided between 'there's no way that I'm traveling before a vaccine' and 'I'll be there the day they open' and everything in between. People from both points of view mention they expect it to be quiet in the parks and that there will be good deals with the cruise lines to attract people. Of course, it's a different culture, but China's experience today seems like it will be the opposite.

Very curious to see how it's going 'back to normal'... with a whisper or a bang?

My personal prediction? June 1st; I've got a flight to Europe to catch, and I'm planning to go and have some fun. When it comes to cruising? I would be on the next cruise: from Florida in May or Northern Europe in June.

Speicher46 is not wrong.

There are a lot of things that can kill us, we are very fragile creatures. We cannot let a fear of Death stop up from living our lives, if we did, then we would never do anything. 14K people die in their bathtubs each year. People die from choking on food, tripping and falling in their house. Yes, we should take precautions against this stealthy bug, which is it's real danger, but not give up our lives. On top of all that, we have short memories, next year, for a vast majority of us, we will only remember anything of this when we see memories pop up on Facebook. Yes, there will be some permanent changes, but we will forget why those are done.

I fully expect to be back in the Parks in May, and I won't hesitate to go. I have no doubt that the convention that I am planning on attending at the end of July in Indianapolis will happen. I have no worry that my booked New Year's Eve trip to Disneyland will occur. And my May 2021 Alaska sailing is in no danger. And if the cruises start sailing again, and there is a great Florida Resident discount and I have the time and money for a cruise in the Fall, I'm on it. But, this is me. If you don't feel comfortable, then do what you feel you must. But, FDR once said "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself".
We are fragile and we do take risks every day, but most of us either are in complete control of our risks (outside of accidents) or have confidence in the people who do have control (governments, airline pilots). This is something we can't control or even mitigate beyond, so far, staying away from each other. That's what makes it so different from anything else in society. When we find something more - vaccine, cure, medications to cut symptoms and save lives or even just details about what makes it more or less severe - then we will be on the road to some type of "control" and then people will start going 'back to normal', whatever that will mean. Until then, this is a specter that can hit anyone (not just old people that so many are ready to dismiss and bury). That's scary.

You know what we all can do? Make sure you have a will and make sure you have your end of life intentions known to your next of kin. Make sure your passwords are written down where someone who might need it can get it (phone, laptop, Disney - to cancel the things you booked). And, if you have kids, make sure the contacts for who's to take care of them in the event you are gone (hospital or otherwise) is in a place where it can be found by someone. Make your end of life decisions now and make them known to others. And say "I love you" every night to those you love. Don't go to bed mad at anyone you love.

We are fragile and we do take risks every day, but most of us either are in complete control of our risks (outside of accidents) or have confidence in the people who do have control (governments, airline pilots). This is something we can't control or even mitigate beyond, so far, staying away from each other. That's what makes it so different from anything else in society. When we find something more - vaccine, cure, medications to cut symptoms and save lives or even just details about what makes it more or less severe - then we will be on the road to some type of "control" and then people will start going 'back to normal', whatever that will mean. Until then, this is a specter that can hit anyone (not just old people that so many are ready to dismiss and bury). That's scary.

That's just it, we don't have control, never have and never will, control is is an illusion. Even if we get a vaccine to COVID-19, there will be another disease. if we wait for a vaccine, we get one, another disease comes, we wait for that vaccine, we get one and another disease comes. Wash, rinse and repeat. We take precautions, yes, I cannot express that enough, but we can't live in fear. There is another disease, there is a drunk driver around the corner, there is a lightning bolt coming down, there is a faulty wire in your house. Living in fear, you miss the joys of life. Watching a child play on a beach, holding a love one's hand, riding Space Mountain. And you need to take that into consideration. But, everyone is different and you ultimately need to do what you think is best. My wife is fully aware of what to do when I pass.

My wife is fully aware of what to do when I pass.

But the point I was trying to make is that your wife may know what to do, but what if she goes into the hospital the day after you? What happens to the kids? That's a new reality that I was saying people should think about. I know what to do for my DH, and he knows what to do for me, but now, my kids (teens) know who they call if we are both admitted with breathing issues and where to find the wills and the passwords. I never would have had that conversation with them before this.

You know what we all can do? Make sure you have a will and make sure you have your end of life intentions known to your next of kin. Make sure your passwords are written down where someone who might need it can get it (phone, laptop, Disney - to cancel the things you booked). And, if you have kids, make sure the contacts for who's to take care of them in the event you are gone (hospital or otherwise) is in a place where it can be found by someone. Make your end of life decisions now and make them known to others. And say "I love you" every night to those you love. Don't go to bed mad at anyone you love.
That is incredibly and horribly depressing. The only thing I can control is saying I love you. Not sure I can accept that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter