When can I purchase AP tickets?

No- I could not upgrade my tickets over the phone
I know you can upgrade your AP over the phone, but not upgrade tickets to an AP. You can upgrade your ticket at Guest Relations or a ticketing window after the first day of use. The AP you upgrade to will have an expiration date one year from that day of first use. Further information regarding upgrading tickets to AP's can be found here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/passholders/annual-pass-ticket-upgrade/

Note: There is a statement on the website that you can go into the MDE app and update your ticket through there, but the app says it isn't allowing modifications right now so perhaps this is a feature to be released in the near future.

Last edited:
I was told by ticketing this Sunday that u can change a multi day ticket to an annual pass over the phone. If no days r used on the multi day pass it’s just an upgrade and u pay difference. If u used 1 day or more it’s a refund of what’s left in ticket and a new purchase for annual pass. That’s what I was told. I bought a 9 day pass to secure my January 2021 trip so I was very concerned about doing it over the phone cause I also need to book June 2021 in July and there is no way I’m buying multiply sets of tickets.

I know you can upgrade your AP over the phone, but not upgrade tickets to an AP. You can upgrade your ticket at Guest Relations or a ticketing window after the first day of use. The AP you upgrade to will have an expiration date one year from that day of first use. Further information regarding upgrading tickets to AP's can be found here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/passholders/annual-pass-ticket-upgrade/

Note: There is a statement on the website that you can go into the MDE app and update your ticket through there, but the app says it isn't allowing modifications so perhaps this is a feature to be released in the near future.
It used to be you could go in the app and there was a thing to upgrade to an AP after you first used the ticket (last May when I went with my mom anyway and she had a regular ticket). Who knows how they'll work upgrading at this point, we went ahead and bought a package with tickets for our trip next June just in case we can't upgrade my families Christmas tickets. We just won't worry about upgrading those tickets, and see if they have gone back to "normal" with APs once June rolls around, just don't want to assume they'll still do things the usual/old way and get there and find out the hard way.

I was told by ticketing this Sunday that u can change a multi day ticket to an annual pass over the phone. If no days r used on the multi day pass it’s just an upgrade and u pay difference. If u used 1 day or more it’s a refund of what’s left in ticket and a new purchase for annual pass. That’s what I was told. I bought a 9 day pass to secure my January 2021 trip so I was very concerned about doing it over the phone cause I also need to book June 2021 in July and there is no way I’m buying multiply sets of tickets.
That's odd. Maybe the policy on this changed due to the pandemic. Even the website says you can't do it over the phone, so maybe that needs some editing. I can see applying the unused ticket value to the purchase of an AP, not necessarily upgrading, but AP sales have paused as of now so I can't see that happening in the near future.
It used to be you could go in the app and there was a thing to upgrade to an AP after you first used the ticket (last May when I went with my mom anyway and she had a regular ticket). Who knows how they'll work upgrading at this point, we went ahead and bought a package with tickets for our trip next June just in case we can't upgrade my families Christmas tickets. We just won't worry about upgrading those tickets, and see if they have gone back to "normal" with APs once June rolls around, just don't want to assume they'll still do things the usual/old way and get there and find out the hard way.
Ohh gotcha!! Maybe the app modification is just paused for now, then. When I wanted to upgrade 2 years ago, this wasn't even an option but I'm glad it is now on a normal basis!! What's great is that Disney does allow the option to upgrade so when you do take your Christmas trip, you can see what if the policies are back to "normal" and then choose to upgrade or not.

Ohh gotcha!! Maybe the app modification is just paused for now, then. When I wanted to upgrade 2 years ago, this wasn't even an option but I'm glad it is now on a normal basis!! What's great is that Disney does allow the option to upgrade so when you do take your Christmas trip, you can see what if the policies are back to "normal" and then choose to upgrade or not.
It wasn't there two years ago, I actually did have to go to guest relations on my way out of the park to upgrade tickets when I got my AP for the first time. Then I went with my mom in May 2019 and when I went in to look at our tickets there was an option to upgrade. Of course my mom was only going the one time, had no desire to get an AP, so I didn't click on it but it kept the option up until the day we left (she decided not to go to the parks on our last day which meant she had an unused ticket, it stayed until the ticket "use by date" passed). I really do hope that returns here eventually, it would be nice. I just hope that if I can buy tickets for December (because we still don't have their tickets), and if I can upgrade them, that I can switch to a room only with the APs and keep our resort reservations I already have *fingers crossed* . I'm not too worried about buying another set of tickets though, it is what it is, I just want tickets to go on sale for the rest of 2020 and I'll be happy.

I was trying to do it for 2020

i've upgraded tickets to AP in person in the parks.

all i know is they said i can and they better cause there is no way i'm paying for those tickets if they don't switch them over when available. i'll just stop payment. i'm so sick of all the different answers u get with them on the phone. i'm going to start recording conversations.

i ask 4 times different ways and she said i can do it over the phone. i also read somewhere else on here with someone else being told the same.

I tried calling this morning and was told AP's not on sale yet but last week someone told me once the parks open, you can upgrade at guest services. Hoping someone posts that it worked so I know before i go

I really hope we can change our tickets to AP on our Labor Day trip. We have several trips planned (though not scheduled). I guess if we can’t we will check out universal instead. We haven’t been there for awhile

I haven't done AP's in years, but with the latest 40% room discount I felt it would be worth it....but not able to purchase on their website 😞

I go to the World on July 21 and I Really hope we can upgrade to Gold Annual Pass. I have been asking almost weekly and I get you should be able to go to the kiosk and do it.

Hopefully someone is able to check in the next couple days while they are there

Has anyone been able to upgrade from Park tickets to AP at the park?
I'm also curious... there was some confusion online about being able to buy AP's at the park, but those rumors were shut down over the weekend. Wonder if upgrading at the park is some kind of loophole, but I highly doubt it.
I called last week and was told if they start selling AP's by the time I use a ticket at the park, then I can upgrade, so still up in the air.

I saw online on Opening Day that upgrades were allowed at Guest Services and then later on that day had been discontinued. My biggest fear is to purchase multi-day tickets with the intent to upgrade to an AP and then not be able to do so when we arrive for our November trip. Best of luck to everyone in a similar position and hoping to hear good news from others that have been successful!

I saw online on Opening Day that upgrades were allowed at Guest Services and then later on that day had been discontinued. My biggest fear is to purchase multi-day tickets with the intent to upgrade to an AP and then not be able to do so when we arrive for our November trip. Best of luck to everyone in a similar position and hoping to hear good news from others that have been successful!

same for us for September -we have one other trip scheduled in March and plan to go summer and next September so we shall see what happens. If not at least 1 trip will be universal

This is just my opinion but they will allow for AP purchases to happen when 1 of 2 scenarios happen:

1. Disney has worked through all of the current AP cancellations and refunds
2. Orange county move to the next phase of openings

This is just my opinion but they will allow for AP purchases to happen when 1 of 2 scenarios happen:

1. Disney has worked through all of the current AP cancellations and refunds
2. Orange county move to the next phase of openings
My guess is that they may become available soon after August 12 since that is when all the cancelled AP's will no longer be active.

So, we're now well past the point at which anyone with an AP expiring back in April (extended 117 + 30) expired, which was by my calc somewhere around that Aug 12th deadline or just a bit before.

Has anyone with a currently expiring AP been able to renew it?

I don’t expect Disney to start issuing new AP’s until they are reasonably certain they won’t have to close again.

I’m kind of surprised they aren’t already renewing existing passes. I would think they would allow that soonish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter