When will the next extension of cruise cancellations happen?

So I would expect the cancellations to come soon. DCL seems to be waiting until the last minute for reasons only they know. EVEN if they sailed, would you go?? No way in hades would I travel in the next month or few even. The county I live in is predicting to peak at the end of April. So even after peak it’s going to be a while for us to get our new “norm”

If you are passed your PIF, I wouldn’t be concerned. Perhaps you’re waiting to see if you get the better deal by them cancelling? We could have done that with our upcoming July med cruise but I didn’t care about a deal. I refunded 2 days before my PIF.

DCL should continue it out until the end of June, at the very least. Almost all US states - just a few holdouts - have shelter in place orders. Florida barely let two other cruise ships port yesterday....

I don't think the ships are going anywhere for a while. Even though DCL sent me my luggage tags this week (a super tease) I know my cruise is not happening. If Disney Parks has no re-opening date in sight then you know DCL has no date either. I think it's safe to say that WDW will resume operations a lot sooner than DCL.

I just saw in another forum that WDW will be taking reservations for June, but I can't wrap my head around that idea given that US COVID19 cases will be ramping up soon. I live in IL currently and we just had the worst one day surge in cases. I think the cruising season will be on hold up until summer.

I just saw in another forum that WDW will be taking reservations for June, but I can't wrap my head around that idea given that US COVID19 cases will be ramping up soon. I live in IL currently and we just had the worst one day surge in cases. I think the cruising season will be on hold up until summer.

Yes, that's what their website says, but I don't think that's going to happen. Same thing for DLR.

For DLR, CA has a shelter-in-place order with no end date (so far). Schools are out for the rest of the school year.

Yes, that's what their website says, but I don't think that's going to happen. Same thing for DLR.

For DLR, CA has a shelter-in-place order with no end date (so far). Schools are out for the rest of the school year.
I totally agree. I would love to see them open in June but we are living in times of uncertainty right now where things literally change by the hour.

VA now has a stay-at-home order through June 10th. I wonder how long until other states do the same. With that information, we can safely assume WDW will not be opening in early June. I also don’t see DCL operations resuming before WDW.

That would be quite a dilemma, IMHO. If there is no government restriction in place by June, some businesses would be tempted to reopen and hope for the best. While some people will undoubtedly go as long as it's open, many would still feel uneasy. I imagine DCL would attempt the same in June as long as there is no restriction in place. Since I will definitely not sail at that time even if operation is resumed, I have to decide later this month if I want to lose my penalty because I haven't been offered to rebook or take a gamble.

LAX

Last edited:

Everyone is moving month to month. Our schools are supposed to open on May 4th. They won't. We'll be lucky if kids will be allowed to get into their lockers to clean them out at the end of June. More likely, everyone's stuff will be boxed for pick up in Sept.

So interesting. I sent an email to Disney customer service regarding our May 25 cruise, and the response I got was: "Information regarding your particular sailing is still being evaluated. We will continue to provide you with information as this situation evolves and we appreciate your patience and understanding. Please feel free to contact us at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510 after April 28, 2020 for additional information."

So sounds like they are not planning to make any additional announcements until April 28? Unless the CM doesn't know what they are talking about, which wouldn't be the first time...

So interesting. I sent an email to Disney customer service regarding our May 25 cruise, and the response I got was: "Information regarding your particular sailing is still being evaluated. We will continue to provide you with information as this situation evolves and we appreciate your patience and understanding. Please feel free to contact us at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510 after April 28, 2020 for additional information."

So sounds like they are not planning to make any additional announcements until April 28? Unless the CM doesn't know what they are talking about, which wouldn't be the first time...

they can’t wait until 4/28 to make announcements. People like us have cruises on 4/30. No way they wait until two days out from a cruise to cancel it

they can’t wait until 4/28 to make announcements. People like us have cruises on 4/30. No way they wait until two days out from a cruise to cancel it
Best guess, announcement will be 4/14 (for sailings through 5/10) then 4/28.

DCL seems to be waiting until the last minute for reasons only they know.
There is no doubt as to why they are waiting until the last minute. Every person who rebooks their cruise on their own gets 100% credit. If DCL cancels, then the customer can get a refund. (And DCL has to offer an enhanced credit of over 100% to entice people to not ask for their cash back.)

I don't blame DCL in the slightest, even though I would prefer them to make the cancellation call earlier to make it more convenient for our planning.

I'd say if you have any hope of keeping your cruise or getting the 25% bonus for rescheduling just wait. I have a cruise set for May 22 and June 27. I feel the May 22nd will get cancelled but holding on hope for the June 27th to go on. I think that DCL is cancelling the cruises on a 2 week schedule to not overwhelm their reps with refund and rescheduling requests. Think about the mayhem if there was an announcement today that all cruises were cancelled until say September 1st. They would immediately have all the customers booked between now and then or their travel agents blowing up their phones. Now on the flip side, I view the 25% bonus as a crucial part of me sailing at a later date because as anyone experienced with DCL knows, as they continue to cancel cruises and people re-book and the sailings left fill up, they will go for a much higher price. I'm thinking I'll have to use the 25% bonus just to break even to book the same type of cruise I have now at the end of the year. Even doing that, I doubt I'll get the room category I want and probably have to just get a guaranteed spot because after all this I refuse to pay more money for the same cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter