Why?

Yes, their swift action to halt social interactions and quarantine made a huge difference in the ability of their medical system to handle this. We should all be taking notes

They have similar things in place that much of America is doing now. Not full military enforced isolation. Just schools closed and banning large gatherings. But the more you test, the fewer the deaths. So the full picture doesn't look as dire when you realize that many people who have it, don't die from it.

They have similar things in place that much of America is doing now. Not full military enforced isolation. Just schools closed and banning large gatherings. But the more you test, the fewer the deaths. So the full picture doesn't look as dire when you realize that many people who have it, don't die from it.

if you think their steps are similar we’re going to have to agree to disagree.

if you think their steps are similar we’re going to have to agree to disagree.

Nice surrender. I just read 4 articles about South Korea's response and the biggest difference was the easy availability of testing which has resulted in the lowest mortality rate wherever COVID-19 has appeared. They practice social distancing utilizing closed schools and banning large gatherings exactly as we are now doing.

Yes, their swift action to halt social interactions and quarantine made a huge difference in the ability of their medical system to handle this. We should all be taking notes

Instead of complaining about what a huge inconvenience it is, or that there is something else that is also dangerous, or whatever. I'm SOOOO done with people who won't get on board. I hope the vast majority of us willing to get on board will be enough to slow this down so we are not a second Italy. Good grief.

Okay, CDC just recommended that there be no gathering of over 50 people anywhere in the US.

I say stop with this half hearted feces. Do it or not do it, goodness.
Order, not recommended. And what an arbitrary number 50 is. Maybe less spread, but not as if spread can’t happen with just 50.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but interesting. In the place that has had the best comprehensive testing (South Korea), the overall fatality rate has shown to be 0.8%:

https://reason.com/2020/03/12/is-a-1-case-fatality-rate-for-covid-19-bad-news-or-good-news/

Just saying comprehensive testing is very simplistic when talking about South Korea as being a model. Here are reasons associated with the comprehensive testing that helped the country be successful:
  • The government saw what happened in China and prepared right away within days of outbreak. The US and other European countries waited weeks and months to do something from federal level because people brushed it off as “just a flu”.
  • The advanced preparation allowed them to develop process for manufacturing tens of thousands of testing kits each day and deploy them in drive-through fashion immediately.
  • The culture of Korea is not as individualistic as in the western world. People care more for the greater whole than just themselves. So, most people understand the importance of social distancing.
  • Korea has universal healthcare, and so testing and associated necessary care is covered for everyone. People can feel free to get tested without any worry. It took the US over two months for our government to recognize we should make tests free.
  • There is a geotracking app through the government that provides a history of the movement of tested individuals in public (does not track you home or anything, and does not identify the individual in any way on the tracking).
  • There is a fine or imprisonment for people who break self-quarantine rules if they’re tested positive.
  • The Korean central government is in charge of everything from manufacturing tests to developing the app, regulating care, etc. In US, everything is scattered. Trump just touted that every healthcare company and public research entity can develop their own tests and run their own test clinics; Every state, county, and city in the US have varying levels of restrictions and recommendations. No consistent restrictions across entire country. CDC just makes recommendations without authority.

Nice surrender. I just read 4 articles about South Korea's response and the biggest difference was the easy availability of testing which has resulted in the lowest mortality rate wherever COVID-19 has appeared. They practice social distancing utilizing closed schools and banning large gatherings exactly as we are now doing.

Korea started LOONGG ago. The US in terms of preparation and operation in comparison is about 2 months behind.

Yes, we are Italy. Not South Korea. And, I predict (and God, I hope I'm wrong) that within 2 weeks, we are going to hear of hospitals triaging and not offering care to certain people. Please people, LISTEN and RESPOND. Stop questioning. This is NOT about your individual risk. It's a systemic risk. And, when that happens, it means not only people with Covid being denied treatment, but it being unavailable to LOTS of people who'd otherwise need it. May it not be anyone you love.

they acted much faster and timing is everything. They have also been spraying down the streets and taking extreme sanitation procedures that I have not seen here

But if you’ve already decided their reaction was the same as ours, there’s really no point in wasting my time trying to convince you.

One thing to keep in mind is South Korea is about the same land area as the state of Indiana with a population less than 1/6 of the United States. Much easier to coordinate a response with that scale and being a peninsula to control its borders.

One thing to keep in mind is South Korea is about the same land area as the state of Indiana with a population less than 1/6 of the United States. Much easier to coordinate a response with that scale and being a peninsula to control its borders.

Would this be a "Nice surrender." :)

Last edited:
I thought WaPo had some interesting graphics/articles on this...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/Basically "social distancing" is better than a quarantine, and "moderate" social distancing is almost as good as "extreme" social distancing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/health/coronavirus-how-epidemics-spread-and-end/

On the first - I know it said every run would be different, but my outcome showed that extreme distancing was FAR more effective than moderate distancing.

I think you're right. And that would make the mortality rate drop.

How much do you trust China's reporting of the numbers? Bear in mind this is a country that actively seeks to control communication to and from its citizens, as well as one who actively sought to keep information regarding this virus from worldview. Now look at that in light of the reality that the potential development of vaccines and antiviral treatments requires at least a year of lead time. So the world scientific community was shut out for X amount of valuable research and development time because China prioritized economic and reputation considerations instead of humane ones.

No. I think for everyone who can think critically it is a possible explanation for why the exact same actions may work more efficiently in a country like South Korea.

No - you never accounted for the fact that S Korea started their response way sooner in the course of their outbreak than we did. Not saying size doesn't matter ( :) ) but all things being equal, timing is what matters here.

They just announced all Disney Stores in North America will be closing March 17th. All WDW resort hotels will close Friday. Our County is having a press conference today to outline what going to happen in our County going forward. Everyday is a new adventure.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter