Why?

I can't find the article but I'll post it if I can...One thing I read comparing South Korea's more aggressive testing (surveillance testing?) vs. Italy testing only the more sick/critical cases is that it demonstrated in South Korea that there were high numbers of younger, asymptomatic people that were positive with Covid-19 that could be spreading the virus. So, I'm no public health official but testing the tip of the iceberg vs as much of the iceberg as possible (and hence the importance of increased testing)...

The corona virus is 10 times more deadly than the flu, more contagious, there is no vaccine and no antivirals. Don’t look at the number of flu deaths, look at the percentage who die.
You all need to remember this when talking about shootings and such :D

I can't find the article but I'll post it if I can...One thing I read comparing South Korea's more aggressive testing (surveillance testing?) vs. Italy testing only the more sick/critical cases is that it demonstrated in South Korea that there were high numbers of younger, asymptomatic people that were positive with Covid-19 that could be spreading the virus. So, I'm no public health official but testing the tip of the iceberg vs as much of the iceberg as possible (and hence the importance of increased testing)...
Yes, the way to clip its wings is by testing everybody who may have been exposed so any positive people can be put in quarantine whether they have symptoms or not. That is easier done if activity is limited. I'd assume that is what will be implemented in the US this week.

Yes, the way to clip its wings is by testing everybody who may have been exposed so any positive people can be put in quarantine whether they have symptoms or not. That is easier done if activity is limited. I'd assume that is what will be implemented in the US this week.

Yes, I wish I could find the chart...it was everywhere a couple of days ago. The visual of it was striking. But again it emphasized the need for social distancing so that asymptomatic people don't spread it to the more vulnerable and overwhelm the system.

Why are they recommending canceling appointments? Did they say?

The NY Times had an interesting graphic where the X axis was the need for essential services and Y axis was interaction with people for those performing the job. Doctors, sanitation workers, maids, postal carriers, etc. were all plotted on the chart. The very top job was dentist. My husband and son are at the dentist right now. They called this morning to check if they were still on and he said come on in!

I'm sure I'll get blasted for asking the question
It's a fair question. It's the kind of comparison our brains don't make intuitively. Sort of like if a little girl were stuck at the bottom of a well, the whole country would be fine spending millions to get her out. But there are sections of our highway system that kill a dozen little kids each every year and they would kill far fewer if we just invested a few tens of thousands of dollars putting up barriers, guard rails, and signs.

CDC estimates 36M - 55M in the US alone will come down with the flu, resulting in 22k-55k deaths. Source
There have been 146K corona cases WORLDWIDE resulting in 5K deaths. Source
  • So your corona virus numbers show a 3% mortality rate. Todays numbers put it closer to 4% with 175k cases and near 7k deaths.
  • This is a disease that maybe had its first case 4 months ago, but really has only been spreading rapidly for 2-3 months. Buckle up.
  • Your flu numbers are also correct, and show a 0.1% mortality rate. That 36-55m cases, is for a whole year, and represents about 10% of the total population.
  • The Coronavirus will infect between 40 and 70% or us.
  • Italy is reporting a case fatality rate of close to 8%
  • If the fatality rate proves to be only the lowest estimate of 1% and the transmission rate lands at the bottom of predicted ranges, 1% of 40% of 330 million people is still over a million people.
and...
  • The best way to mitigate the risks of the virus itself is to essentially put our economy on hold for a month.

The NY Times had an interesting graphic where the X axis was the need for essential services and Y axis was interaction with people for those performing the job. Doctors, sanitation workers, maids, postal carriers, etc. were all plotted on the chart. The very top job was dentist. My husband and son are at the dentist right now. They called this morning to check if they were still on and he said come on in!
Our dentist offices are all closed except for emergency situations.....

I had to go to the dentist yesterday. I had a root canal a week and a half ago. The temporary filling fell out, so they moved my crown appointment up. Thank goodness I have that at least because it might be awhile until I can safely go get the permanent crown. My gums did not like yesterday’s appointment at all! Very sore !

Just got an email from our pediatric dentist this morning that the CA Association of Dentists (or something like that) were advising all dental practices to close except for limited hours for emergency procedures.

We were just there last Wednesday. I wish I had thought to cancel. It never even occurred to me.

Yes, I wish I could find the chart...it was everywhere a couple of days ago. The visual of it was striking. But again it emphasized the need for social distancing so that asymptomatic people don't spread it to the more vulnerable and overwhelm the system.

I think that’s smart. My MIL is now quarantined after going to the dentist last week and getting exposed to coronavirus. I hope she doesn’t develop symptoms because she’s not in the best of health.

Absolutely communal living can but so does sending 30K students out into the U.S. all at once X that by however many Universities are doing this and these students are going to be taking transit like planes, trains, being in a car would help reduce but isn't feasible for all. Instead of having a more limited area you now have spread all those people out, some of which may be carriers and not be symptomatic. Some of these places asking the landlords for off campus students to implore the students to go to their parents. My apartment when I was living in one while in college was my home...

I'm 100% for remote learning. I'm just not for closing the school and kicking everyone out and having them go to their parents. My alma mater is going remote but leaving the campus open, dorm halls open and dining halls open, for now at least. Should they opt to close it all up I would have the same opinion especially as my alma mater has a decent amount of students that come from my metro.

There are ways to limit exposures even in communal living such as in dining halls switching or at least giving the options to have brown bag style meals (we had that when I was in college and I used it a lot when I was working and couldn't make it to the dining hall for dinner) and limiting the given number of people within the dining halls, some students will likely choose the brown bag style in the interest of not being surrounded by everyone, you can limit gatherings in the dorms halls in the common area. The city/town the college is in can have their rules on the number of people in a given area at a time.

Closing campus, kicking everyone out and sending everyone to the four corners of the U.S. is an extreme reaction one that I think just swaps one problem with another. Hopefully it helps but there's a very real possibility that one of the students who is being sent home is a carrier who has now infected other people in their parent's area, who now spreads to their community, etc. Will that happen? No one can predict but it is a possibility.

I totally agree spring break is a factor. Timing is something I've mentioned in multiple threads. It's a double edged sword as it's a high travel time.

I don't think any University made any decision lightly either. In the interest though of flattening the curve some entities I think got tunnel vision on what that means-purely my opinion though.
I felt from the beginning that the schools don't want to have to quarantine these kids if there were to be a break out.

I certainly think we should do our part to slow this down. But I also think there is some personal responsibility that comes into play. My friend said her inlaws and her mother won't stay home. Here we are trying to protect people who bear some of the responsibility themselves.
Another thing, people are not going to continue like this forever. The novelty will wear off and it will be impossible to keep people playing along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter