Why?

As not many are putting themselves in a full quarantine with the first cough or low fever without having a positive test. Seeing how the virus grows exponential it’s scary to see how the numbers reported today are exponentially bigger today.

To be even more a bummer, keep in mind those that aren’t showing any symptoms and have not been tested spreading the disease, who in most cases are young adults and children

This was always the case and is very obvious. The numbers are much greater than the confirmed cases, especially because a high proportion of the confirmed cases has been community-acquired infections with no known source.

I still see people in public with varying levels of cold/flu symptoms.

This is why I keep repeating the US will eventually have forced closures and quarantines in a democratic country, just like in Italy, etc—unlike South Korea. Not everyone takes it seriously.

I think it is coming soon. They will let it go as long as they can, but I won’t be surprised at all if it happens.

Oh I have no doubt it will happen. I really don't trust any leader's motives behind anything at this point. Everyone is making their own decisions - places with one case are closing everything down, but I don't think Seattle has even mandated closing restaurants yet???

Everyone accusing others of not caring, telling people they want to kill old people, telling people it's fake...Just lock us all down and everyone can shut up, stay home and deal with it.

This is very true. And maybe it's because I'm fortunate, my family is generally very healthy, we really don't have much interaction with elderly or those who would be at higher risk that's affecting my thinking.

I'd like to address this part: YOU say you don't generally interact with those at higher risk-- but do the people you interact with interact with people at higher risk? Do they not count because they aren't directly your friends or co-workers?

Consider this: Someone with the virus exposes you or your family before they are symptomatic (or maybe they don't get symptoms); subsequently, you (before symptoms or maybe you just think you have a cold or you never get symptoms) see and expose another one of your friends or co-workers-- which is ok in your eyes because they aren't in the high risk group-- and then they go see their 85 year old dad with COPD, who gets really symptomatic and dies.

You could easily be a non-symptomatic transmitter of the virus and need to consider not just those you are exposed to or could expose, but who those people may come into contact with.

And no, I don't think people need to panic and buy all the food and TP in the store, and don't need to lock themselves into their homes (unless they have known exposure or positive test). But we need to watch out for the greater good, which means more than yourself and immediate family.

Also, in my area, they are not disconnecting utilities for the time being; essential services are still being provided; the local food bank is preparing for greater food distribution, and I'm working from home (and choosing to stay away from my very young and elderly relatives to make sure I don't give them anything).

I'd like to address this part: YOU say you don't generally interact with those at higher risk-- but do the people you interact with interact with people at higher risk? Do they not count because they aren't directly your friends or co-workers?
Oh good grief. Yes, of course, I meant "screw everyone who isn't in my immediate family." That sound better? :rolleyes2

I wish they would just institute the National Lockdown already. Let's just start it.

I'm curious to know what the details of this would be.

Meaning, would it just be everything closed but groceries, gas stations, and hospitals?

Or more like, you're not allowed to leave your house

Meaning, would it just be everything closed but groceries, gas stations, and hospitals?

Locked down. You can't leave house except to get groceries, go to work or emergencies.

what is most commonly talked about is that people would be required to stay in their homes except for work, grocery stores, pharmacies and emergencies. Violators would likely receive a fine.

The work accommodation allows production and other essential services to continue.

From what we’ve seen around the world. It will first be what you said, only essentials such as groceries, pharmacies, and hospitals.

If ineffective, it will become restricting leaving your own home or neighborhood as they did in China (which is one major factor that helped turn the corner).

So, let’s all hope people will be responsible and honest to do what is needed collectively. Although, my hope is fleeting.

This is how the virus will keep spreading: letting it go on as long as possible. It’s dumb to let a known cavity turn into a root canal before going to the dentist.

What a coincidence that I made an analogy to dentistry.

I’m currently listening in to a conference call with hospital leaders around the San Francisco Bay Area. They are recommending that dentists cancel non-emergency appointments.

Already the case that elective (non-essential) surgeries are cancelled, and those surgeons will spend the extra time to support COVID care.

California apparently has about 775 ventilators available in use throughout the entire state. Not anywhere close to what will be needed in a COVID surge, especially since there’s non-COVID patients that will also need it.

What a coincidence that I made an analogy to dentistry.

I’m currently listening in to a conference call with hospital leaders around the San Francisco Bay Area. They are recommending that dentists cancel non-emergency appointments.

So, that is actually quite concerning to me. I have something wrong with me that needs to be checked every 3 months, if I go much longer what I have can get worse and be very, very costly.(I have a genetic predisposition to a disease that I need monitoring for the rest of my life)

Why are they recommending canceling appointments? Did they say? That could be devastating to me! My next appt is April 16.

So, that is actually quite concerning to me. I have something wrong with me that needs to be checked every 3 months, if I go much longer what I have can get worse and be very, very costly.(I have a genetic predisposition to a disease that I need monitoring for the rest of my life)

Why are they recommending canceling appointments? Did they say? That could be devastating to me! My next appt is April 16.
The thoughts about this may vary quite a bit from town to town. For those that are recommending a delay, maybe they particularly mean routine cleanings, exams, and things like cosmetic veneers.
Your dentist would be familiar with your needs, I would call her or him to check about your appt.

Maybe they particularly mean routine cleanings and exams, and things like cosmetic veneers.
Your dentist would be familiar with your needs, I would call her or him to check about your appt.

Yeah, I'm going to email tomorrow.

Just one more thing for me to FREAK OUT about. :oops: :p

Yeah, I'm going to email tomorrow.

Just one more thing for me to FREAK OUT about. :oops: :p

I’m sure you’ll be fine.
They were more referring to things like, as mentioned, cleanings, cosmetics, checkups, etc. I’m not a dentist, but it seems everything else will still need appt when necessary.
This statement was just a recommendation. Also, there was no dental rep on the call, and I don’t think they’re informing dentists. After all, this was just a call among hospitals.

BTW, Kaiser sent out a notice to all members to postpone any non-essential procedure or doctors visit.

Think about how serious this is.

The governor tells all seniors not to come out of the house, and instead ask others to help bring supplies to them. And, in San Francisco, family members are not even allowed to see patients in the hospital until at least end of April.

I’m sure you’ll be fine.
They were more referring to things like, as mentioned, cleanings, cosmetics, checkups, etc. I’m not a dentist, but it seems everything else will still need appt when necessary.
This statement was just a recommendation. Also, there was no dental rep on the call, and I don’t think they’re informing dentists. After all, this was just a call among hospitals.

BTW, Kaiser sent out a notice to all members to postpone any non-essential procedure or doctors visit.

Think about how serious this is.

The governor tells all seniors not to come out of the house, and instead ask others to help bring supplies to them. And, in San Francisco, family members are not even allowed to see patients in the hospital until at least end of April.

Some hospitals in Chicago are banning all inpatient visitors. My cousin's preemie is still in the hospital, she's trying to find out if she can still visit (she's there now). :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter