YOAMD - Anyone else looking forward to it ending?

We were there in Nov. 06 for the YOAMD and will be going back this week for the YOAMD! I agree some new marketing would be exciting and nice to see something different, but this is really great for people who do win things (not me ;) ). My husband and boys were on Tower of Terror and received fast passes and although I wasn't with them (chicken) they gave them one for me so that we could all be together. Also, one of the "dreams" was when my kids got off Space Mountain, they made the racing game free and had an "announcer" cover the race. Thbey also game my youngest son (the winner) a Magical Certificate. It was something little, but still special.

In December will be our third trip during this promotion. We won lanyards last November but nothing as exciting as fastpasses or the really cool stuff. At least we didn't get handed a sticker like I saw some people get. :rotfl:

This thread is a better fit on the dedicated Year of a Million Dreams sub-board here on the Theme Parks area. I'll be moving it there.

Knox

This is just like any other promotion/giveaway/sweepstakes, many will enter, few will win.

Our wedding was this past September at the BCV's...after my parents and DH saw the final bill they renamed this celebration Year of A Million Payments (aka. YOAMP).

No one from our family won anything and we were there for two weeks straight! So we just thought it best to have fun with the whole concept and rename it whenever possible...like when I kept tripping, my BIL renamed it: Year of a Million Falls (aka. YOAMF).

I know this is nothing compared to the actual prizes, but it was all we had:guilty:

;)

We were there for 5 days 2 years ago. We saw the dream team a few times but didn't win anything, but our friends won a 2 or 3 times in the 5 days they were there (we overlapped a couple of days).

It would have been wonderful to win something. Maybe next time. Or maybe one of my post cards will get picked.

But...wouldn't it be fun to have that job??? :yay: I'd LOVE to be able to give stuff out to surprise people! Oprah for a day! :banana:
I was right there with you until your very last line. You spoiled it when it meant I had to be oprah for even one second, much less a day!

I have thought about walking up to a member of the dream team if I see them on our next trip and asking them if they can grant my dream, and telling them that it would be to hang with them all day and help give out the dreams to other people. I think that would be a great way to spend one day at the parks!

:wizard:
It's funny.. the first time I went during this promotion ... I looked for the Dream Team folks around.. and I saw them 'around' but I wasn't selected to win anything.

The next two times I went after that.. I never even thought about it. I still saw people winning or people with the Dream FP's.. but didn't think twice about it.

:confused3

Knox

We looked everywhere when we went for the dreamsquad. Never saw them until about our last day. She was great, told us to mail in our entries, and 11 months later, we are the proud and happy and SHOCKED winners of the DVC membership!! So,
OUR YOAMD will go on forever as far as I am concerned!!! :wizard:

I also wonder how they choose the winners???

Computer...Totally random. It spits out a ticket, with time, place and prize to award. It tells CM's if they should pick a family of 4 with blue shirts, etc...for us, it printed out my name, mail in entry, and DVC Membership. I love that computer :dance3:

For sentimental reasons...I will be sad when this one ends :sad1:
I do love to watch the "Big Moment" video over and over again... :goodvibes

But I am looking forward to whatever the creative Disney marketing team will come up with next! :goodvibes

I started reading this thread and then found your trip report! I was so excited, laughing, crying and emotional....I read all thirty pages...loved the pictures too!!
I have never won anything (except a pair of pantyhose in 7th grade), but when disneyland had its 35th birthday they did a huge promotion and everyone going into the park won something...with a grand prize of a car a day to one lucky family. The "smallest" prizes were a lapel pin, or a frozen juice bar....but the excitement of just thinking you could win was something in itself! I think I am glad that I have never won anything large though as I would probably have a heart attack and never get a chance to enjoy anything about winning!!
Your family is wonderful and were definately the grandest of grand marshalls and a fantastic icon to usher in the yoamd!!!
Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your trip with all of us!

I started reading this thread and then found your trip report! I was so excited, laughing, crying and emotional....I read all thirty pages...loved the pictures too!!
I have never won anything (except a pair of pantyhose in 7th grade), but when disneyland had its 35th birthday they did a huge promotion and everyone going into the park won something...with a grand prize of a car a day to one lucky family. The "smallest" prizes were a lapel pin, or a frozen juice bar....but the excitement of just thinking you could win was something in itself! I think I am glad that I have never won anything large though as I would probably have a heart attack and never get a chance to enjoy anything about winning!!
Your family is wonderful and were definately the grandest of grand marshalls and a fantastic icon to usher in the yoamd!!!
Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing your trip with all of us!

Thank you! :hug:
It's been wonderful and the memory NEVER seems to fade for us! The folks here on the boards have been incredibly kind in their comments to us :goodvibes

The 2008 version of Year of a Million Dreams draws to a close, according to the contest rules, on December 31st, 2008.

Here's an idea for everyone that didn't win.....How about CMs handing out dream fast passes to EVERYONE that walks through the gates then everyone is a winner. See anything wrong with this logic? I think the whole thing is a sad promotion. It was obviously conceived to increase attendance, and from all accounts, it worked. But it created a whole society that expected to win something, so when they didn't win, it wasn't a magical trip, at least in many people's minds. It wouldn't have create more attendance, but it would've been a much greater promotion if everything had been done WITHOUT the advertising creating the expectations. Ya know what? How about coming down off your high-horse and remember how fortunate you were to be able to vacation in a place like WDW. There are thousands of great families out there that will never be able to enjoy a trip to WDW, which is sad. So many people on these message boards complaining that they were screwed because they didn't win anything. If you want to win something, go to Vegas.

What clear, precise, positive advice you offer! Surely you have your own website or newpaper column!

Honey, you may be wonderful and special, but your outlook on life is not only NOT perfect, it's also not the only one that is valid. Why be so hateful?

I think, since we're all adults here, we should be able to understand that Disney's promos do not = gratification for everyone, so I don't even pay attention to them. (because I can understand, to a certain extent, why some would feel a bit dissapointed).

Now we just plan our trips during the "slower season" and enjoy the rides & restaurants...what year is this again?:rolleyes1

I think, since we're all adults here, we should be able to understand that Disney's promos do not = gratification for everyone, so I don't even pay attention to them. (because I can understand, to a certain extent, why some would feel a bit dissapointed).

Now we just plan our trips during the "slower season" and enjoy the rides & restaurants...what year is this again?:rolleyes1

agreed! I do however enjoy the short daydream about my stay in the castle! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: But, I don't let it get me down for sure! :goodvibes

I just want to know what's coming next, since I wasn't there for for the year (2 years). I gotta admit though the commericials get me excited. :happytv:

I have been 4 times, and never even noticed the Dream Team. I guess because I was just so happy to be there, it didnt matter if I won anything or not. I LOVE reading about other people's good luck though, when it comes to YOMD. I can be happy for those who have won. I especially love hearing about those who have won a night in the castle! And I would hope, that if I did win something, others would be happy for me as well, instead of griping about how they didnt win.

I go to Disney for the atmosphere and for my love of Disney, not because I expect a prize.

We're the same. We go not expecting to win, but if we do that would be great.

We're like the OP, we've been there for 30 days of the celebration and haven't won. Our next trip is June 18th and we'll be there for another 15 days. We'll see what happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter