Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’ll be wrapped nicely into the Genie platform. Whether they keep the name or change it, I think reservations are here to stay and it’s honestly nothing more than a very mild inconvenience, if at all, especially when capacity is no longer capped below their max
It helps to for when they change the FP system. When they had FP+ it did what the reservation system is doing now.

California is probably playing a role but Disney has had a no exceptions hardline stance this entire time, and the stronger wording doesn’t just coincide with California issues but with restrictions in Florida being lifted and a fair amount of confusion over what that meant for Disney. I can only imagine they were seeing guests both legitimately and not so legitimately confused and maybe even pushing back given that the headlines were all about restrictions dropping in Florida.

I think it’ll be wrapped nicely into the Genie platform. Whether they keep the name or change it, I think reservations are here to stay and it’s honestly nothing more than a very mild inconvenience, if at all, especially when capacity is no longer capped below their max
It helps to for when they change the FP system. When they had FP+ it did what the reservation system is doing now.
Having to make a park reservation seems on the surface to be pretty onerous, but we've been "locked in" to this level of planning for years with ADRs and FP reservations dictating months in advance what parks we visit on which days.

hopefully things become more expected and people are more empowered

but I have also seen some ugly examples where people berate (and in some cases physically harm) workers who are pushing them to comply with mask wearing - so I can sort of understand the hesitancy to push too much
happens way to often. I was working and a guy came over to complain about something else, he had his mask under his nose so I told him to please put it on correctly, he then proceeded to not only take off the mask all together, he stepped closer to me and started yelling.
Thankfully we have the plexiglass so I just ducked behind it, this was during spooktacular, I had a line of kids waiting for candy while this guy was just yelling. Thankfully my co worker saw what was happening and radioed for a supervisor, not really sure what happened after that
It really gets tiring, especially after you tell adults to put them on properly, they do and seconds later it's under their noses again. I don't get it

happens way to often. I was working and a guy came over to complain about something else, he had his mask under his nose so I told him to please put it on correctly, he then proceeded to not only take off the mask all together, he stepped closer to me and started yelling.
Thankfully we have the plexiglass so I just ducked behind it, this was during spooktacular, I had a line of kids waiting for candy while this guy was just yelling. Thankfully my co worker saw what was happening and radioed for a supervisor, not really sure what happened after that
It really gets tiring, especially after you tell adults to put them on properly, they do and seconds later it's under their noses again. I don't get it
I get it but it’s also cumbersome sometimes with all the rules. I was trying to check out in ak & had my mask on properly. My kid was screaming in his stroller & the cm is freaking out about my proximity to the plexiglass at the register. Again, I had a mask on properly. He was saying to get behind the plexiglass which I mostly was, but with his mask & my kid screaming, I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I was completely polite, but I did roll my eyes a little (in my head) b/c the few inches I moved over like he wanted did absolutely nothing for either of our safety. And, again, we both had our masks on properly. The man in your story should have been wearing his mask properly & should not have taken it off for sure so it’s not the same thing, but I’m just talking about the frustration with some of the rules.

I get it but it’s also cumbersome sometimes with all the rules. I was trying to check out in ak & had my mask on properly. My kid was screaming in his stroller & the cm is freaking out about my proximity to the plexiglass at the register. Again, I had a mask on properly. He was saying to get behind the plexiglass which I mostly was, but with his mask & my kid screaming, I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I was completely polite, but I did roll my eyes a little (in my head) b/c the few inches I moved over like he wanted did absolutely nothing for either of our safety. And, again, we both had our masks on properly. The man in your story should have been wearing his mask properly & should not have taken it off for sure so it’s not the same thing, but I’m just talking about the frustration with some of the rules.
But you have to see it from the CMs perspective too. They have to be in front of people all day long, and maybe the person working the register doesn’t feel comfortable being out from behind the plexiglass. They have to be firm in their directions, because every inch they give one person, the next will go even further. If there was a line behind you and the next person saw you go a bit to the side of the plexiglass, they may then try to go even further to the side.

I know it’s frustrating but I wouldn’t take it personally. Nobody likes being corrected, but I think in the current environment, we all just need to remember that it’s not as much a correction as much as a polite request. It’s about looking out for each other and helping each other out. The CM is encountering potentially hundreds of people throughout the day. They may have a family, kids, roommates, partner, etc at home that they don’t want to get sick. We should not forget that there are inherent risks right now in being in any customer-facing role (especially at a place as large as WDW) so in my eyes, if there’s anything I can do to make the CM more comfortable, I’m happy to do it. I’m glad the CM felt comfortable advocating for himself. As I’ve been saying since the reopening, the key is to politely advocate for yourself. Sometimes, being on the receiving end of that is frustrating but that’s part of the trade-off of visiting WDW right now.

But you have to see it from the CMs perspective too. They have to be in front of people all day long, and maybe the person working the register doesn’t feel comfortable being out from behind the plexiglass. They have to be firm in their directions, because every inch they give one person, the next will go even further. If there was a line behind you and the next person saw you go a bit to the side of the plexiglass, they may then try to go even further to the side.
Yeah I get it, but there are plenty of us who go to work & see ppl all day with no plexiglass. It’s excessive. And he was completely behind it, I was just slightly to the side of it. And, my complaint is read the situation. You see I’m dealing with a screaming toddler on top of everything. At least use hand motions & speak loudly to get me to understand what you want me to do.

I know it’s frustrating but I wouldn’t take it personally. Nobody likes being corrected, but I think in the current environment, we all just need to remember that it’s not as much a correction as much as a polite request. It’s about looking out for each other and helping each other out. The CM is encountering potentially hundreds of people throughout the day. They may have a family, kids, roommates, partner, etc at home that they don’t want to get sick. We should not forget that there are inherent risks right now in being in any customer-facing role (especially at a place as large as WDW) so in my eyes, if there’s anything I can do to make the CM more comfortable, I’m happy to do it. I’m glad the CM felt comfortable advocating for himself. As I’ve been saying since the reopening, the key is to politely advocate for yourself. Sometimes, being on the receiving end of that is frustrating but that’s part of the trade-off of visiting WDW right now.
Perhaps that is my actual complaint then. He was not polite & I couldn’t even understand him at first. And we really do our best to comply with all the rules so it felt ridiculous in that moment the way he was acting. And I would say I was like 98% behind the thing. So that was also part of it.

Now I am all for the mask wearing and have been wearing them every where , work, home, stores etc. Just had to put that out there that this is not an anti-mask thing. But I do wish people would realize it is hard to hear sometimes between the barriers and the muffling of speech behind the masks. Its a joke in my house that I ask "what did you say?" a zillion times. So combine the plexiglass and masks, and yeah I can barely hear anything especially in a loud space! So as a result I try to talk louder in case I am muffled to others, and half the time my DD is asking me "why are you yelling?" Can't win 🤪

Now I am all for the mask wearing and have been wearing them every where , work, home, stores etc. Just had to put that out there that this is not an anti-mask thing. But I do wish people would realize it is hard to hear sometimes between the barriers and the muffling of speech behind the masks. Its a joke in my house that I ask "what did you say?" a zillion times. So combine the plexiglass and masks, and yeah I can barely hear anything especially in a loud space! So as a result I try to talk louder in case I am muffled to others, and half the time my DD is asking me "why are you yelling?" Can't win 🤪
This is me. I have hearing aids (which most people can't even see) and I read lips to help me understand. My first reaction is to get my ear closer, and out from behind the plexi. My family is pretty good at picking up the slack, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

Honestly I think people in customer facing roles deserve all the grace right now in every industry (and customers used loosely, I would include teachers, medical professionals, etc). I will deal with annoyances as the person who has the options. Some are there because they feel a duty to, most are there because they have no option not to go to work despite their own feelings and fears about working during a pandemic.

At least one outbreak has occurred here when customers didnt follow the rules or proper safety measures were not in place to protect the staff who have no option to just not be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter