Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wouldn’t count on it. Since the opening is Summer 2021, in Disney speak that very rarely means so early in the season. I would think more July or August.
Summer literally means anywhere from May-September for Disney. They have given that timeframe for many things and have opened things all over the spectrum

Summer literally means anywhere from May-September for Disney. They have given that timeframe for many things and have opened things all over the spectrum
True. I forgot they include May in their summer. I was thinking it was more June-August so I was going more law of averages it wouldn’t be the first week of that. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I can’t wait to step back into the GCH lobby. Always been my all time favorite lobby.

True. I forgot they include May in their summer. I was thinking it was more June-August so I was going more law of averages it wouldn’t be the first week of that. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed. I can’t wait to step back into the GCH lobby. Always been my all time favorite lobby.
Honestly though, with no guests to work around they can work at their preferred pace. That could mean an early opening considering they have fewer obstacles than normal. But with the virus, there’s also less motivation to open yet another resort. Although the poly is a sought-after resort for sure.

Last edited:
Honestly though, with no guests to work around they can work at their preferred pace. That could mean an early opening considering they have fewer obstacles than normal. But with the virus, there’s also less motivation to open yet another resort. Although the poly is a sought-after resort for sure.
The DVC portion is still open, so there are guests at the resort.

Yes, but the portions they are working on don’t have guests in them. The areas of the GCH they are working on are closed to guests and the guest rooms are all closed to guests as well.
Exactly. They are able to rehab ALL of the cash rooms right now at their own pace instead of having to fit a quick rehab between guests.

Yes, but the portions they are working on don’t have guests in them. The areas of the GCH they are working on are closed to guests and the guest rooms are all closed to guests as well.

I am just worried about the GCH - that's the thing even with "Summer" ...ok, things will be "done" by "summer" ... but since we are DVC members, really I am just hoping the GCH is open by first week of June.

I am just worried about the GCH - that's the thing even with "Summer" ...ok, things will be "done" by "summer" ... but since we are DVC members, really I am just hoping the GCH is open by first week of June.

The question is really will the GCH BE The GCH or will it be 'Decor by Ikea with Moana decorations' Like the transition from 'Notes from Civilization' to 'Moana's Merchandise'. The first was charming and fun, the second looked like the Hudson/Paradies airport shops at any airport worldwide.

Hopefully someone has the brains to leave the Tambu bar alone, Yes it's 70's kitsch but that's what makes it unique and fun.

We went to Disney for the uniqueness and over the top attention to detail that made staying in a Disney resort fun. After endless nights in Marriott's and Hilton's for business the last place I want to stay is at a pale imitation of a Marriott at 6x the price with none of the amenities which come with a stay at a Marriott.

I fear that yet again Disney will 'Pave Paradise to put up a parking lot'

Last edited:
The question is really will the GCH BE The GCH or will it be 'Decor by Ikea with Moana decorations' Like the transition from 'Notes from Civilization' to 'Moana's Merchandise'. The first was charming and fun, the second looked like the Hudson/Paradies airport shops at any airport worldwide.

Hopefully someone has the brains to leave the Tambu bar alone, Yes it's 70's kitsch but that's what makes it unique and fun.

We went to Disney for the uniqueness and over the top attention to detail that made staying in a Disney resort fun. After endless nights in Marriott's and Hilton's for business the last place I want to stay is at a pale imitation of a Marriott at 6x the price with none of the amenities which come with a stay at a Marriott.

I fear that yet again Disney will 'Pave Paradise to put up a parking lot'

I have been mixed on some of the changes. I mean, I LOVE the DVC rooms at the Poly for instance. I LOVE the POP rooms (and I guess the all star now, since they are done) ... those ARE quite IKEA as you say, but I still prefer them so much to what was there. The SSR rooms look fantastic ! But, Coronado for instance, I think again looks like an Ikea room, but for Coronado I DON'T think that's an upgrade, quite the opposite. I fear what they are going to do at our beloved POR, where we love the charm and character of everything, including the rooms.

I have been mixed on some of the changes. I mean, I LOVE the DVC rooms at the Poly for instance. I LOVE the POP rooms (and I guess the all star now, since they are done) ... those ARE quite IKEA as you say, but I still prefer them so much to what was there. The SSR rooms look fantastic ! But, Coronado for instance, I think again looks like an Ikea room, but for Coronado I DON'T think that's an upgrade, quite the opposite. I fear what they are going to do at our beloved POR, where we love the charm and character of everything, incl,ding the rooms.

The POP rooms are what they are and are very well done, Ikea styling for lack of a better description FITS there, Have not been to Coronado in a VERY long time. Cisco convention in Orlando last visit to Coronado but the rooms were charming with a meso-american theme which I enjoyed. Even the pictures of the 'new' coronado rooms make me sad. The whole point of Disney resorts for us has been being transported to other places,

But now Disney is making 'The bubble' meaningless A stay in a sterile room with no identifiable theming, plus the need to keep your nose stuck in phone (as the slack messages and emails pour in - hey I know you are on vacation but we've got a problem at ACME and hey can you handle it - thanks enjoy your vaca.

Before the MDE disaster phones got turned off and locked in the safe till checkout. And you ENJOYED your week or two of checking out from reality and into Disney. This is one of the prime drivers of us no longer visiting, Because the moment the phone comes ON the work related stuff flows in and in a modern tech company 'No I'm on vacation' has no meaning which is why so many tech people vacation in distant and exotic places not so much to show off on instagram/facebook but to get out of range of cell coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter