Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The POP rooms are what they are and are very well done, Ikea styling for lack of a better description FITS there, Have not been to Coronado in a VERY long time. Cisco convention in Orlando last visit to Coronado but the rooms were charming with a meso-american theme which I enjoyed. Even the pictures of the 'new' coronado rooms make me sad. The whole point of Disney resorts for us has been being transported to other places,

But now Disney is making 'The bubble' meaningless A stay in a sterile room with no identifiable theming, plus the need to keep your nose stuck in phone (as the slack messages and emails pour in - hey I know you are on vacation but we've got a problem at ACME and hey can you handle it - thanks enjoy your vaca.

Before the MDE disaster phones got turned off and locked in the safe till checkout. And you ENJOYED your week or two of checking out from reality and into Disney. This is one of the prime drivers of us no longer visiting, Because the moment the phone comes ON the work related stuff flows in and in a modern tech company 'No I'm on vacation' has no meaning which is why so many tech people vacation in distant and exotic places not so much to show off on instagram/facebook but to get out of range of cell coverage.

This all makes perfect sense and I can't really disagree with any of it ...

I have only ever wanted one renovation done at this resort, create a fitness center. It's a deluxe resort and you have to go to another resort to exercise. Never made sense to me.

The POP rooms are what they are and are very well done, Ikea styling for lack of a better description FITS there, Have not been to Coronado in a VERY long time. Cisco convention in Orlando last visit to Coronado but the rooms were charming with a meso-american theme which I enjoyed. Even the pictures of the 'new' coronado rooms make me sad. The whole point of Disney resorts for us has been being transported to other places,

But now Disney is making 'The bubble' meaningless A stay in a sterile room with no identifiable theming, plus the need to keep your nose stuck in phone (as the slack messages and emails pour in - hey I know you are on vacation but we've got a problem at ACME and hey can you handle it - thanks enjoy your vaca.

Before the MDE disaster phones got turned off and locked in the safe till checkout. And you ENJOYED your week or two of checking out from reality and into Disney. This is one of the prime drivers of us no longer visiting, Because the moment the phone comes ON the work related stuff flows in and in a modern tech company 'No I'm on vacation' has no meaning which is why so many tech people vacation in distant and exotic places not so much to show off on instagram/facebook but to get out of range of cell coverage.
I used to go out of my way to do live aboard dive trips out of cell signal range specifically so I was out of touch and could decompress.

Unfortunately, now there is almost nowhere you don't get a signal and work always expects you to be on call.

I used to go out of my way to do live aboard dive trips out of cell signal range specifically so I was out of touch and could decompress.

Unfortunately, now there is almost nowhere you don't get a signal and work always expects you to be on call.

The Disney 'bubble' at one time was very valuable as one could 'check out' from reality and into Disney. Cellphones barely worked at Disney and when you said I'm going to Disney for vacation the office knew contact was almost impossible.

Unfortunately Disney's greed drove them to create MDE so they could predict staffing they blew through enough cash to build another park so they did not have to build new attractions.

Now people wander the parks with their noses stuck in the phone trying to score a FP while the family breadwinner is either stuck in the resort or looking for a quiet space so they can get on that Zoom call. Doing work calls during vacation is not my idea of fun but I've been doing it since about 2013 when skype was the only game in town. Yes uber planners suffering from OCD are loving the preplanning aspect.

I do recall a family where everyone had laminated color coded schedules attached to lanyards the kids looked absolutely miserable while the parents rattled off we have 19 minutes till..,. you get the picture.

Our best times at Disney were those when the only decision to make was what park do we want to visit today, Since we were DVC the need to do disney like a commando raid were gone and we simply did the things we wanted to not bound by electronic chains to a schedule developed months ago.

We go to Allegany State Park twice per year (NY) and I get zero reception there. Others complain but it's a positive for me.

The Disney 'bubble' at one time was very valuable as one could 'check out' from reality and into Disney. Cellphones barely worked at Disney and when you said I'm going to Disney for vacation the office knew contact was almost impossible.

Unfortunately Disney's greed drove them to create MDE so they could predict staffing they blew through enough cash to build another park so they did not have to build new attractions.

Now people wander the parks with their noses stuck in the phone trying to score a FP while the family breadwinner is either stuck in the resort or looking for a quiet space so they can get on that Zoom call. Doing work calls during vacation is not my idea of fun but I've been doing it since about 2013 when skype was the only game in town. Yes uber planners suffering from OCD are loving the preplanning aspect.

I do recall a family where everyone had laminated color coded schedules attached to lanyards the kids looked absolutely miserable while the parents rattled off we have 19 minutes till..,. you get the picture.

Our best times at Disney were those when the only decision to make was what park do we want to visit today, Since we were DVC the need to do disney like a commando raid were gone and we simply did the things we wanted to not bound by electronic chains to a schedule developed months ago.
So Disney isn’t for you. Simple. Thanks for pointing it out, again. Didn’t catch that the first 10-15 times you said it on these boards the last couple of weeks. This is a Disney trip planning board. Most of us here are the Uber planners you speak of an enjoy that very much.

And as for the just showing up and going to a park in days gone by. Since the inception of DVC, because my family has been members since 94 and going multiple times a year since then, even included planning back then. Dining needed to be booked in advance, usually with waiting on hold on the in room phone for 15-30 minutes trying to get the time and location you wanted.

So Disney isn’t for you. Simple. Thanks for pointing it out, again. Didn’t catch that the first 10-15 times you said it on these boards the last couple of weeks. This is a Disney trip planning board. Most of us here are the Uber planners you speak of an enjoy that very much.

And as for the just showing up and going to a park in days gone by. Since the inception of DVC, because my family has been members since 94 and going multiple times a year since then, even included planning back then. Dining needed to be booked in advance, usually with waiting on hold on the in room phone for 15-30 minutes trying to get the time and location you wanted.

The funny thing though is I can get that old school Disney experience by visiting Tokyo where the parks are still run to Walt Disney's standard instead of Wall Street's standard. Oh and I can (and DO) get there on a plane which looks like it just rolled out from the Boeing factory instead of one that looks like its ready for its time in an aviation boneyard.

And incredibly enough BOTH the park and the airline are run to make a profit, In the park's case to provide funding for life insurance policies. And with Tokyo being of the 5 most expensive cities in the world ticket prices are lower than the US parks, How can this be? Perhaps the Japanese understand that reinvestment and paying workers fairly is essential to long term success.

So don't bother with 'Diznee is a Bizness'...

But you don’t have to visit Disney like that. You’re free to visit sans schedule any time you like.

So, do they still have the Pineapple Lanai somewhere? Or is that closed? And Captain Cook's? It used to be downstairs in the GCH.

Sure. Will they be doing anything to the studio rooms?

DVC studios are getting a "soft goods refurb." It was announced at the DVC meeting last week that the 2022 schedule was moved up to 2021. I've read that "soft goods" usually refer to drapery, bedding, carpet, etc. There seems to be very limited availability in May and June 2021 for DVC- so many think this is when that refresh will occur.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if it will ever become reality but I would someday like to stay there if just for a couple of nights, and for my family of 5 and point rental prices seems like the studio would make the most sense. Even on "sale" the regular rooms are crazy town. Plus the extra potty would be good. I was hoping for a murphy bed instead of the sleeper but I guess that wouldn't be until a hard goods refurb.

Looking at the change in the decorative beams, from a construction/engineering perspective, I would guess that they found that they did not meet the newer hurricane wind standards and that if the did fail it would be catastrophic. A stronger system and wider spacing appear to be a good solution.

A small note from our recent trip to the Poly. As I was walking by the temporary front desk in Pago Pago I commented that the uneven stone floor was tricky for me to walk on with my cane. The CM said they would be getting it replaced with carpet.
Were they running busses to all parks from Poly or did you have to go to TTC for Mk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter