• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do you remember ?

:goodvibes

My DW has hit the big 7, I am right behind. October is my bell ringing day.

When I was 16, I could not comprehend being 70. Nobody lives to see 70. Yes the hills are steeper, but going to Saturday night Bingo in our community is out of the question. Still too much to accomplish and running outta time.

We are down in VA at Bethpage RV park getting ready to kayak on the Rappahanock River out to the Chesapeake Bay. Will I have a spinning rod in the kayak. You betcha.

At burger time tonight we will have a discussion about packing our wet suits and going on a Tall Ship Cruise in Nov, Dec or Jan. The (A B C) Aruba, Bonair, Curacou Cruise looks great. I finally talked DW into it.

Can we afford it ????? No way, but we will do it. Has anyone did a Tall Ship ??? It looks like an adventure.
john

:goodvibes

My DW has hit the big 7, I am right behind. October is my bell ringing day.

When I was 16, I could not comprehend being 70. Nobody lives to see 70. Yes the hills are steeper, but going to Saturday night Bingo in our community is out of the question. Still too much to accomplish and running outta time.

We are down in VA at Bethpage RV park getting ready to kayak on the Rappahanock River out to the Chesapeake Bay. Will I have a spinning rod in the kayak. You betcha.

At burger time tonight we will have a discussion about packing our wet suits and going on a Tall Ship Cruise in Nov, Dec or Jan. The (A B C) Aruba, Bonair, Curacou Cruise looks great. I finally talked DW into it.

Can we afford it ????? No way, but we will do it. Has anyone did a Tall Ship ??? It looks like an adventure.
john

Is that the BIG sailboat and the "vacationeers" do the sailing ?

;)

They are big. Can carry 200+ passengers, but they are not a working sailboat where you are a crew member. You are a passenger just like on Disney's Cruise Ships.

What is neat, you cruise at night and stop during daylight. You hit the A B C islands and some unihabited cays. Snorkel, swim, be a beach bum and I believe you can fish. Fresh fish everyday mixed with a steak or lobster would be super.

Still doing research on these 4 mast sailboats, schooners---I still don't know what they call them.

john

Tell Shirley I said age has no bearings in one's life, cause I've seen your brides pictures and she's a living doll, :thumbsup2
I hope she has'a great birthday !

Ya'll need to hit the Fort with all us in Oct/Nov and we can celebrate both ya'll birthdays together,:woohoo:

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

We were in the 900 loop last October and the 1600 this Spring. Some good bass fishing behind 1600----Not big, but plentiful and eager

Our plans are to do DIS again this fall and then the Tall Ships. If timing is right maybe we will see y'all down at DIS.

With all these plans, we may be throwing our anchor on the 5r on the poor house grounds.

john & shirley

PS: Maybe I will just mail the bill to the Speaker. They are picking up the tab for just about everything else. Hold on ! That's my money they are spending.

Our plans are to do DIS again this fall and then the Tall Ships.

We're going in December. Th tall ships sound intereting but anything onthe water scares me. Never been a water person. Now jumping out of airplanes, that's fun. I haven't jumped in over 10 years though. I have an artificial knee now, but I may look into it again. Too bad I'd have to pay now. In the army it was free! :rotfl2:

Isn't it time for a nap old timer? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

:cool1::cool1::cool1:
PS: Maybe I will just mail the bill to the Speaker. They are picking up the tab for just about everything else. Hold on ! That's my money they are spending.

:lmao::rotfl::lmao: How true!

Remember when... we were responsible for paying our own way?

As I was rummaging thru my mind I came across these ,,

Did anyone ever hava coonskin cap,,or play marbles or jacks ?

Remember the smell of Old Spice on your dad?

Remember when Prell Shampoo actually put a plastic pearl in each bottle to show how thick their shampoo was?

How bout Wringer washers! The first time my mother had one (it was used), she thought she was in heaven !

Or how bout when you walked by a telephone booth , it was ringing , and you just HAD to answer it ? Most of the time it was a operator saying you still owed them another.20 cents.

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents? Heck,I remember when the A&W DriveIn was a real treat !

Playing baseball with no adults to help
kids with the rules of the game?

Darn shame our children can't experience these wonderful things.

:thumbsup2

Being a 50's teenager and my Dad a barber, I had a Flat-Top, but a lot of the guys sported a DA.

How did those cool guys get the side of their hair swept back and held in place to form a Ducks' A#@.

They used OLIVO. My Dad had jars of this stuff. I believe it could double as wheel bearing grease.

Here is a PIC of my FLAT-TOP, 52 years ago. Not the best pic. Edison did not invent the light bulb yet. It looks like I have OLIVO in my hair. Can't be. I wasn't one of the COOL guys ! ! !---No Lucky Strikes in the rolled up arm of my white T shirt.
john
Picture_110.jpg

How did those cool guys get the side of their hair swept back and held in place to form a Ducks' A#@.

They used OLIVO. My Dad had jars of this stuff. I believe it could double as wheel bearing grease.

I thought it was Brylcreem.

:wizard:

Actually Brylcreem was a new kid on the block. My Dad's Dad (my Grandpop) was also a barber. Grandpop used OLIVO.

They both coulda made tons on money as 'Hair Sylists'. That term did not exist in barber shops.

Don't shoot pool against Dad & Grandpop. More $$$$$ changed hands in the backroom of the barber shop (they had pocket and runway pool tables in the backroom) than cutting hair.

I googled Olivo Hair and got a hit. It said GREASE.
john

:wizard:

Growing up we were all really poor. We did not realize it, because poor was pretty good.

We played wire ball, step ball, stick ball, half ball, hose ball----quite inventive back then.

We even had a system to beat the pay phones-----You would stick a straight pin or safety pin throught the black rubber cable connected to the phone, ground the pin to metal and BINGO, a dial tone. Bell Tel got wise and sheilded the rubber cable. No more FREEBIES.

My Daddy, a really good pool shooter said "remember, there is always one better out there".

john

I thought of something to contribute here today but I forgot by the time I went to post it, oh I remember now,,,,ah now I forgot again, hey what thread is this again? ah nevermind:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter