Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

You usually have to get trip insurance within a short time of making the initial booking (not paying off) the cruise in order to get "cancel for any reason" coverage. But maybe that's just the policies I've looked into.

I've been able to buy CFAR insurance without issues as long as it was around the PIF date, but that was in the past. I'm not sure that's an option now (and I'm not sure if it isn't). The 2 weeks within booking date had to do with pre-existing conditions in my experience.

You are correct; that's true for many of them. But I did find two the other day that were available as long as you bought the policy on the day of, or before, the PIF. Trying to decide if such a policy is right for me as I have a PIF coming up March 15.
What company? My PIF is March 13

The latest Princess announcement included this:

“For our guests booked on Crown Princess Mediterranean itineraries, we are finalizing some itinerary changes and a special offer that we will be sharing early next week.”

I have a DCL out of Barcelona ending in Rome which I’ve paid in full 6th June. All flights booked and paid by me for multiple people.
i then have a Celebrity out of Venice around 22nd June with very expensive non refundable hotel rooms pre cruise for 3 nights. I’ve not PIF for that yet, but have paid for expensive flights too again for multiple people.
Absolutely no idea what’s happening with either yet. If the cruises go then I guess I’ll go as I’m retired I don’t have work to worry about, but I am the target age to be at a greater risk.
I’m just trying to stay calm though as it’s all out of my control, and to be fair probably out of the cruise companies control too as the situation changes on virtually a daily basis.

We're PIF for the Magic cruise out of Rome (Croatia and Greek Islands) on June 22. I was optimistic when we PIF but watching the news to stay aware makes me less optimistic. We're staying a week in Rome prior to the cruise. The flat we reserved by VRBO is totally refundable as long as we cancel by May 16. The flights were on points so should be refundable. That leaves the actual cruise. We have insurance that I bought the day before PIF and I believe before Northern Italy was put on a lot of travel advisories so we should still be covered. (Two Canadian insurance companies have stated that they won't cover if you cancel your trip if you bought your insurance starting yesterday.) I don't believe Disney wants the Magic plastered on the news as another cruise ship stuck circling the seas or docked somewhere in Europe with a bunch of sick people on it. It's bad for the company, bad for their crew and bad for their ship. At some point, I would hope that Disney makes a decision about the summer cruises. I have faith that they won't put their ship, crew and passengers in danger and they would cancel or reschedule any cruise that they thought would. It's just a very anxious time until something happens ... whether it be cancellation or hopefully that the virus dies out.

And I can survive rescheduling to next year or getting my money back and as long as Disney makes a decision in time for me to cancel our flat, we'll be ok. One frustrating thought is if we cancel, it's not like we can go on another trip instead. LOL No using the money to go to Florida or California.

We're PIF for the Magic cruise out of Rome (Croatia and Greek Islands) on June 22. I was optimistic when we PIF but watching the news to stay aware makes me less optimistic. We're staying a week in Rome prior to the cruise. The flat we reserved by VRBO is totally refundable as long as we cancel by May 16. The flights were on points so should be refundable. That leaves the actual cruise. We have insurance that I bought the day before PIF and I believe before Northern Italy was put on a lot of travel advisories so we should still be covered. (Two Canadian insurance companies have stated that they won't cover if you cancel your trip if you bought your insurance starting yesterday.) I don't believe Disney wants the Magic plastered on the news as another cruise ship stuck circling the seas or docked somewhere in Europe with a bunch of sick people on it. It's bad for the company, bad for their crew and bad for their ship. At some point, I would hope that Disney makes a decision about the summer cruises. I have faith that they won't put their ship, crew and passengers in danger and they would cancel or reschedule any cruise that they thought would. It's just a very anxious time until something happens ... whether it be cancellation or hopefully that the virus dies out.

And I can survive rescheduling to next year or getting my money back and as long as Disney makes a decision in time for me to cancel our flat, we'll be ok. One frustrating thought is if we cancel, it's not like we can go on another trip instead. LOL No using the money to go to Florida or California.

I always treat my family with little grandkids kids to a Mickey Boat vacation every Summer. I’m from the UK so it’s much more convenient with no long haul flights as one kiddie will be just four and the other is Going to be 16 months. The four year old starts full time school in September and they are super strict about no term time holidays and you are fined.
i will be sad is the cruise is cancelled, and I guess we would just have to switch to Disneyland Paris instead, unless of course that’s closed too.
At the end of the day though it is what it is, and no point in getting angry about it. I’m just glad I don’t have to be the one making the decisions what to do with 4 huge ships in the current climate.

We were supposed to leave for a trip to visit my parents in the Netherlands a week from tomorrow. We will not be going and that's a mutual decision between us and them. They are both in their seventies and just don't want to risk it, both for them getting sick or us getting stuck there. I'm fairly upset but we are looking to reschedule for July/August. Hoping that the airlines will get even more flexible with rebooking than they are now, the current offer is to change it for free and have to fly out by the end of May and with my job that's just not a thing.

We are at DW now. Big crowds. And going to Africa at end of March. The tour operator has no plans to cancel. We have ins for medical reasons or trip interruption but we can’t just cancel because we’re worried. It’s a huge amount of money. I’m actually not worried about getting sick but I would hate to get stuck somewhere. Can’t spend time worrying about it now. We will just hope for the best and see what develops. South Africa just got its first case but had good protocols already in place.
We are also going to aulani in may and a cruise this summer. I do not see any reason to worry about those. This flu could have burnt itself out by then. And even with all the hysteria it is important to remember it’s just another flu bug. Any reasonably healthy person shouldn’t worry too much about Getting sick.

from DCL today:
  • Beginning Friday, March 6, all guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
  • Finally, guests scheduled to sail between now and May 31, 2020, can now change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 12 months of their original sail date. You can make this change by calling 1-866-325-2112. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

from DCL today:
  • Beginning Friday, March 6, all guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
  • Finally, guests scheduled to sail between now and May 31, 2020, can now change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 12 months of their original sail date. You can make this change by calling 1-866-325-2112. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.
I wonder if they will extend this to the June cruises at a later date, they haven't addressed the concerns for a lot of Europe cruisers this summer.

RCCL has announced a cancel within 48 hours policy for cruises through July 31. Would be for a credit good through 12/31/21.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence
So if I am understanding the post, we would still have to pay the PIF amount next week but would have up to 2 days to cancel? So come mid June, and we are still uncomfortable with everything, we could cancel the cruise and they would take all the money and put it towards a future cruise?

So if I am understanding the post, we would still have to pay the PIF amount next week but would have up to 2 days to cancel? So come mid June, and we are still uncomfortable with everything, we could cancel the cruise and they would take all the money and put it towards a future cruise?

Yes, that's my understanding as well. You just have to be reasonably sure that you'd want to cruise with RCCL before end of next year. If the new cruise price is lower, you may have some remaining credit that might be hard to use.

Fortunately our NCL has shortened the time you have to cancel. Until yesterday we had until the end of this month for our July Med cruise, now we have until end of April. So thankful for that!!

Correct, and that would include waiving the $100/per person normal cancellation fee. So everything you paid will go to the future cruise credit. RCL is giving us until Dec 31st, 2021 to sail on that credit, and any pre-booked activities will be refunded. I’m impressed with their offer. It’s more generous than DCL right now and is for everyone cruising July or earlier. It changed us from cancel and eat the $400 to moving forward with our PIF on Monday.

I canceled, I was really more worried about my Dad anyway. We were able to use this cruises payment toward next years and we are ok with that. I haven't started to do anything with the flights but I did buy insurance and it was earlier so it should be ok.

from DCL today:

Does this mean that we could use this credit on an already booked 2021 cruise, if it is within the 12 months frame?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter