Get Excited: Downtown Disney Has Now Reopened Superthread!

How early would you go? my husband will be parking while I pick up a scooter and go in the main gate.
I would say 10am should be fine for a weekday, if it was a weekend I would suggest 9:30. Right at opening is when lines are the shortest so you should have time to park and get the scooter.

So, $10 parking fee for Downtown Disney ... and several of the comments to the article mirror my #1 burning question: When will reservations be accepted for the Carthay Circle Restaurant? LOL ... patience ... patience ... yeah, been working on developing that attribute ...

So reservations aren’t available yet? There is a place on the Carthay Circle Lounge page to view available days/times for reservations. I clicked on every day and none have availability. I assumed all the reservations were snapped up immediately.

I would say 10am should be fine for a weekday, if it was a weekend I would suggest 9:30. Right at opening is when lines are the shortest so you should have time to park and get the scooter.
Thank you for the quick reply! I would think that would be great.....especially since they are opening the DCA section the following week and every one will want to go then!

As you all know, BVS will open on November 19 and parking in the Simba lot will then cost $10. Certainly I don’t like the idea of being charged to come and shop especially when many people face financial challenges (perhaps those that do don’t come to DTD these days). No doubt Disney understands their business and guests better than I do but I look forward to seeing if there’s any drop in attendance as a result. I’m not saying there will be but it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ll probably still go on Sundays but perhaps a little less.

Is the entrance open to allow walk through access to DTD? I may be staying in the area for a night and could easily walk over.

Is the entrance open to allow walk through access to DTD? I may be staying in the area for a night and could easily walk over.
Yes, I just used the Harbor entrance last Saturday. It has the same security and bag check procedures as the DLH side. You will go through temp check, dog check or the new scanners (whichever they are using at the time), and bag check before entering DTD. You can look on the app or the Disneyland website for more information.

As you all know, BVS will open on November 19 and parking in the Simba lot will then cost $10. Certainly I don’t like the idea of being charged to come and shop especially when many people face financial challenges (perhaps those that do don’t come to DTD these days). No doubt Disney understands their business and guests better than I do but I look forward to seeing if there’s any drop in attendance as a result. I’m not saying there will be but it wouldn’t surprise me. I’ll probably still go on Sundays but perhaps a little less.
There are still ways to park for free and walk or use public transportation (e.g. OCTA). Not as convenient as using the Simba Lot, but certainly more budget friendly if one visits DTD often and can't split the parking fee with anyone. See Gothic Rosie's daily updates for DTD on IG (make sure to go through all the pages -- usually there are several) to see your options.

There are still ways to park for free and walk or use public transportation (e.g. OCTA).
Thank you :-). Yes, I already have a strategy in place. I used it the day DTD opened because I was concerned that getting into the Simba lot would be a challenge (and it was). I recall seeing the line for the lot backed up well over a mile shortly before it opened. Yes, walking is not nearly as convenient but for me it’s more about the principle than the cash. I’ll enjoy two more free weekends and then I’ll have to wait for the park proper to reopen before I can cash in on free parking (so to speak) once again.

As an aside, I treat myself to cool cars occasionally. I’ll do so again on the 14th, my last free Sunday with Simba (once this is all over I swear I’m going to write a memoir of the lockdown and my sanity Sundays at DTD and give it that title ;-)). Here are a few pics. High-end exotics (Lamborghinis and Ferraris) are off limits until I sell a pilot script ;-). Oddly enough, we showed this pic to Abby a few Sundays ago and she pointed out that the shirt I was wearing matched the car. So I’ll have to wear it again on the day. This Sunday the plan is to go Dapper :-).

5195EF5B-77B9-4A79-AA1C-28C598C3AA7A.jpeg

CBC4A9F6-07D7-4396-B667-04743ACA52EF.jpeg

3C66A82D-F980-4C04-ABFB-60184A757ED2.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I already have a strategy in place. I used it the day DTD opened because I was concerned that getting into the Simba lot would be a challenge. I recall seeing the line for the lot backed up well over a mile shortly before it opened. Yes, walking is not nearly as convenient but for me it’s more about the principle than the cash. I’ll enjoy two more free weekends and then I’ll have to wait for the park proper to reopen before I can cash in on free parking (sort of) once again...
Yes, I remember your friend's house -- not close, but certainly free! If that doesn't work, look into the Fullerton option on GR's page. The OCTA bus down Harbor is a straight ride and has been free for a while now. Have the fare ready in case the driver asks, but many people are posting that no one asks since everyone is required to board from the back due to safety protocols.
Have fun with your snazzy car! We'll look forward to the photos. :)

So reservations aren’t available yet? There is a place on the Carthay Circle Lounge page to view available days/times for reservations. I clicked on every day and none have availability. I assumed all the reservations were snapped up immediately.

I don't think the reservations have gone up yet. But I worried when they do, they will all get taken quickly.

A friend will join me for DTD on Sunday. I plan to go dapper and I think she will too. Her birthday was on Tuesday so I hacked a Disney button for her as a fun surprise. As many of you know (or have surmised), Disney isn’t giving guests buttons these days. I think she’ll get a kick out of it. Certainly I’ll take pics, as always.
519B988B-D3F4-4492-9045-089B8AFBA89F.jpeg

We arrived at 9:30 and got a great parking spot. Attendance was especially light today, perhaps the lightest I’ve seen since DTD reopened.

Nothing special to report. We dressed up a bit in honor of (the approximate date of) Dapper Day. We only saw a group of three other people that were also dressed for it (pic below). We loved that they all wore ornaments on their dresses. As seen in the pic below, my friend wore the Disney button that I hacked for her. She liked it.
79508EE1-7A8D-41B0-AB09-67D69B74C6E6.jpeg

Here’s a close-up of the button.
1D75D8F6-DC72-44BB-A5A1-38DB081E4A5D.jpeg

98300F54-C1AB-4FE2-8954-95FF99D24741.jpeg

The line, however, for Marceline's Confectionery seemed to be unusually long. I don’t ever recall seeing it stretch around the corner.
89A83F8D-6303-4D20-A08A-F1779BFB0F64.jpeg

Last edited:
When BVS opens on 11/19, they will start to charge $10/car for parking in the Simba lot.
I asked a plaid CM this morning if parking would be validated by any of the restaurants or at WOD for buying merch. I was told that there will be no validations of any sort. My personal feeling is that charging for parking is penny wise and pound foolish on Disney's part. Yes, they'll rake in a few thousand dollars from parking but the number of guests that are dissuaded from going and spending $$ on merch and food will offset that and result in a net loss. Of course I could be wrong. I suspect that I'll go less. In that past few months I've spent close to $500 on merch... mainly for a friend, but Disney doesn't care who it's for as long as the check clears ;-).

I asked a plaid CM this morning if parking would be validated by any of the restaurants or at WOD for buying merch. I was told that there will be no validations of any sort. My personal feeling is that charging for parking is penny wise and pound foolish on Disney's part. Yes, they'll rake in a few thousand dollars from parking but the number of guests that are dissuaded from going and spending $$ on merch and food will offset that and result in a net loss. Of course I could be wrong. I suspect that I'll go less. In that past few months I've spent close to $500 on merch... mainly for a friend, but Disney doesn't care who it's for as long as the check clears ;-).

I actually think due to capacity limitations charging for parking was going to be the only way for them to make crowds manageable once they opened a theme park gate for shopping and dining. They will have plenty of takers still.

I actually think due to capacity limitations charging for parking was going to be the only way for them to make crowds manageable once they opened a theme park gate for shopping and dining. They will have plenty of takers still.
Is limited shopping and dining inside of DCA exponentially better than shopping/dining at DTD? Personally, I don’t believe that it is. But again, I could be wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter