It's our "Last" Trip to WDW, so we're going DELUXE! *We're Back After 11 Days in WDW*

We're Back...

So we are home, safe and sound, following our 11 day stay at my Favourite Place on Earth.

According to DH, this was to be our "last" trip to Walt Disney World for quite awhile, so I had high expectations for the trip.

I had planned the trip for over a year, starting the planning just about the time that Katie & I returned home from our last trip in March of 2009.

At 11 months I booked into the Beach Club Villas for 8 days.

At 8 months out I secured direct flights to Orlando, adding a day onto each end of the trip in the process.

At 7 months out, I was able to book the Contemporary for our first night and the Polynesian for our last night using a 40% off pin code.

And at 6 months I secured each and every dining reservation that we wanted for the whole trip.

While I did have a couple of wrinkles thrown into the planning (including the addition of my SIL and nephews less than 1 month before the trip), I was still able to juggle things around before we left and was sure that we would still end up having the most fantastic trip to Disney ever!

Afterall, I was staying a whole 11 days...my longest trip by a longshot! And this was my husband and son's first ever trip staying on WDW Property. I was sure that this, in and of itself, would surely turn my husband around and ensure that our next trip would be booked (or at least in the planning stages) before we had checked out!

Unfortunately, things did not go exactly as planned.

I have been reluctant for a long time to admit or accept that I could be married to someone who doesn't love (or couldn't grow to love) Walt DisneyWorld as much as I do. This trip finally drove it home for me. Loud and clear.

Of course we shared many special memories and experiences as a family on the trip. And overall we had a great time. However, for much of the trip (at least when we were in the Parks) I was acutely aware that someone was not as keen or enthusiastic as me about being there.

As a result, some of my enjoyment of being in the Parks was diminished and our park touring ended up getting cut short or abreviated. We spent far less time in the Parks than I expected, but fortunately still a good chunk of the time at the Resorts. Which was still great - afterall, for much of the trip we were staying at the Beach Club. However, many of the plans I had made for the trip didn't get accomplished.

In fact, we spent less time in the parks in our 11 day trip than I had spent on several of my past trips spanning only 4 or 5 days long.

Knowing that this would be our last family trip for an indefinite period of time, this was quite disappointing.

There were many things I planned and had looked forward to experiencing on the trip which did not get accomplished. As a result, I have to be honest and admit that I still have quite a few disappointments and regrets about the trip.

As a result, I am of mixed minds about doing a trip report. I have only authored 2 trip reports, and both have been fairly positive. The flavour of this report (if I am to report on it accurately) would be much different. In some ways, I am not sure I want to re-experience the feelings of disappointment in having so many of my carefully laid-out plans get nixed and scrapped at the last moment. On the other hand, there is a part of me that feels it may be somewhat cathartic to do a trip report.

As if my house wasn't already upsidedown enough (with 4 suitcases still to unpacked and a stack of vacation laundry still needing to be done), DH and I each have to go away this weekend for work. Fortunately my MIL will be coming to stay with the kids. So if I start a TR at all, it won't be until I get back home on Sunday. At the very least, even if I decide not to do a full-blown TR, I will at least provide a mini-TR of our stay.

Thanks so much again to everyone for reading along and joining me on my 1st ever PTR! :goodvibes

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the high temps, but I'm sure you had a wonderful time nonetheless!

Thanks!!!:goodvibes For the most part, yes - we had a great trip. But there were also some lows. I am still mulling over whether I really want to author a partially negative TR...or for that matter, whether anyone would really want to read it!:laughing: I don't know about you, but I like to spend my time on the happy, positive reports!:goodvibes

Oh Trish!! I'm so sorry to hear that your trip didn't go as planned. I hate that you are experiencing regrets/disappointments. (((HUGS))) :hug:

Welcome back! Though I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip a bit. I think we all do that to some extent, our expectations are way higher than the reality of the trip. :hug: I can sympathize with you on the fact that your husbad is not a Disney lover as I'm in the same boat. I've learned to accept it and not set myself up for disappoinment. As you know, Samantha and I often go on trips by ourselves which has turned out great. On the rare occasion I get my husband to come with us, I try to plan things that I know he'll like. Even then, I'm often disappointed as I always have a slight hope he'll change his mind and become a Disney lover like me. :goodvibes

I hope you'll do the trip report! I enjoy reports that are honest and report both the good and the bad.

So sorry we missed you at the Beach Club too! We spent some time at the pool on Friday (4/30) and I kept looking for you when I saw families your size walking by. :goodvibes

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear it wasn't all you'd hoped it would be. :hug: I also hope you'll do a trip report!

Aw Trish. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointments:hug: Life doesn't always go as planned, but I'm still glad you were in your happy place for 11 days. At the Beach Club no less which is what I envision my heaven to be like:cloud9: If you decide to do a TR I'll be there even if it isn't peaches and cream every moment. Even though my DH tells me I like to live in Fantasyland, I can live in the real world too and know life (even at Disney) isn't always perfect.:hug:

Trish, count me in the group that hopes you do a trip report. I'm so sorry that you had some disappointments on the trip, but writing about it might be good therapy. Let some time go by and maybe you will feel differently and not as disappointed. Or you can just skip all of that and just give us the good stuff! :rotfl: I find it's hard to not have a little "anticapointment" (as I like to call it) on a Disney trip! Especially when you travel with someone who doesn't "get it" like you do.

We will be here when/if you are ready to tell us about it! :grouphug:

Sara

Oh, Trish, I'm sorry it didn't go as well as hoped. DBF started off as not a fan of Disney, but I roped him into a trip and he grew to LOVE it. I'm sorry that didn't happen with your husband. That's rough :hug:
I say if you think a TR would be therapeutic for you, go for it. While most TR's are, like you said, overwhelmingly positive, it's the truth that not EVERY Disney trip is perfect. A different perspective would be nice.
I have to say, you are taking it fabulously-- if I had spent more park time during a 5 day trip than an 11 day, I would have been furious! Way to go for being so easy-going, even if you do have regrets.

Trish, very sorry to hear that things did not go as planned. I hope you realize that you are not alone in having a spouse who is not into Disney. For me it was helpful to hear that I am not alone in wishing that my DH would change in his views but being unsuccessful every time. I think when you are on the boards and hear of everyone making these amazing plans and how the families seem to all be in tune then it is frustrating to not have that same experience with your own spouse. But like you have seen so many people comment, it is not the same for everyone.

I wonder if it will help you to know that my DH is almost allergic to Disney. He does let me plan trips but I cannot discuss any of these plans with him as he usually tunes out any such discussions. We have had trips where he has not even known where we will be staying until the day of the trip itself. There have even been times when we have gone there and he does not want to go to the parks so I have just taken the kids alone while he relaxes at the hotel. It is very stressful to be not only the planner prior to getting there but to also be like a tour guide who has to put their own pleasure aside to ensure everyone else is enjoying themselves. So for me, I am trying to come to terms with the fact that we will never have the kind of Disney experience that many speak of on the boards (no resort changing, no rope drops, no itinerary of rides to do on each day). In his defense I will say that he has an extremely stressful and hectic job and so his idea of relaxation is different than mine. I think Disney means different things to different people and we just have to accept that. For me, I think that as the kids get older, I might just go alone with them.

As I type this, I can feel the discomfort in expressing these thoughts because putting them to paper certainly makes the disappointment more real. However, I think it might be good for you to share some of your trip as it might be cathartic as well as make you see some of the positive experiences that I am sure also occurred. Also, you are opening up the discussion for those who may have been too nervous to express their disappointment in having non-Disney loving spouses.

I hope your weekend is not too hectic and that you feel caught up soon. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Trish, I'm so sory to hear your trip wasn't filled with pixie dust! I am so glad however I got to meet you and your family!

I'm afraid to say, I too am married to someone who I fear will never come to love Disney in the same way I do. Since I returned, Daniel has mentioned several times to me that the next time I go to Disney, he and Patrick are coming with me and Greg is staying home for some alone time :lmao: I'm not sure where he picked that idea up from but I suspect it may not be too far from the truth

UGH I am so sorry that your vacation did not go as planned :hug: I am sure that it is very upsetting to a super planner like yourself. For what it is worth, I would still love to hear details and see pictures, even if it is just a mini-TR. I am happy you are home safe and I am glad that you enjoyed the BC so much :goodvibes

I am also sorry to hear that your trip wasn't as great as you had hoped it would be. I hope you will still do a TR...maybe it would help you to relive some of the better memories of the trip??

I know you mentioned at our meet that things were not going as well as you had hoped, I'm so sorry that it put a negative spin on your trip. I'll be honest, while we still had a good time, my trip was not as I had envisioned either and I know just how you feel knowing that it is your last trip for awhile and how badly you wanted everything to go perfectly.

I hope you decide to still do a report, I'd love to read about it - warts and all! :goodvibes

Oh Trish!! I'm so sorry to hear that your trip didn't go as planned. I hate that you are experiencing regrets/disappointments. (((HUGS))) :hug:

Thanks Becky!!! :goodvibes Despite the disappointments, we still shared a lot of happy times on the trip. I will definitely provide a more detailed report shortly, either here on in a TR! :)

Welcome back! Though I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip a bit. I think we all do that to some extent, our expectations are way higher than the reality of the trip. :hug: I can sympathize with you on the fact that your husbad is not a Disney lover as I'm in the same boat. I've learned to accept it and not set myself up for disappoinment. As you know, Samantha and I often go on trips by ourselves which has turned out great. On the rare occasion I get my husband to come with us, I try to plan things that I know he'll like. Even then, I'm often disappointed as I always have a slight hope he'll change his mind and become a Disney lover like me. :goodvibes

I hope you'll do the trip report! I enjoy reports that are honest and report both the good and the bad.

So sorry we missed you at the Beach Club too! We spent some time at the pool on Friday (4/30) and I kept looking for you when I saw families your size walking by. :goodvibes

Hey Michele - I am so sorry that we missed each other! Funny thing is, I don't think there was a day that we weren't at the pool during the 8 days we spent at the Beach Club, except for Sunday May 2 when we went to the Beach on the Gulf Coast. We were definitely there almost all afternoon on Friday, and even had lunch at Hurricane Hannah's.

I should really have been on the ball and exchanged cell phone numbers before we left...I am sure our paths were very close to crossing several times. I definitely would have recognized you and Sam had we seen you!

And thanks so much for reminding me that I am not the only one whose spouse doesn't share the same degree of enthusiasm for Disney. It helps to know I am not alone on that!:hug:

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear it wasn't all you'd hoped it would be. :hug: I also hope you'll do a trip report!

Hey Christine! Yeah...I will definitely at least summarize the highlights of the trip on this thread, even if I don't do an actual TR. I have too many wonderful experiences to share about the BCV, which I am sure will be right up your alley, and hopefully get you even more excited for October!;)

Aw Trish. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointments:hug: Life doesn't always go as planned, but I'm still glad you were in your happy place for 11 days. At the Beach Club no less which is what I envision my heaven to be like:cloud9: If you decide to do a TR I'll be there even if it isn't peaches and cream every moment. Even though my DH tells me I like to live in Fantasyland, I can live in the real world too and know life (even at Disney) isn't always perfect.:hug:

Thanks so much!:goodvibes Yes, I guess sometimes it can be helpful to read not only just the good, but also the bad. Helps to keep things in perspective, and perhaps all you gals out there with Disney-loving men may appreciate them a little more after hearing from us on the other side!;)

Trish, count me in the group that hopes you do a trip report. I'm so sorry that you had some disappointments on the trip, but writing about it might be good therapy. Let some time go by and maybe you will feel differently and not as disappointed. Or you can just skip all of that and just give us the good stuff! :rotfl: I find it's hard to not have a little "anticapointment" (as I like to call it) on a Disney trip! Especially when you travel with someone who doesn't "get it" like you do.

We will be here when/if you are ready to tell us about it! :grouphug:

Sara

Thanks Sara!:goodvibes You know, you may be turning me around on the whole trip report thing! I definitely have a ton of great memories to report, and even including some of the disappointments, it would be great to relive the good memories. Those are what I am going to want to remember 5, 10, 15, 20 years down the road, and if I don't record it now, it will be foggy at best in years to come.

I am so happy I recorded my memories of my solo trip with Katie back in Sept 2007, which remains my favourite trip to WDW. Not even 3 years later, I would have already lost so many little memories and feelings from that trip had I not completed a trip report. I can't wait to dig out that TR when I am 90 and relive my memories from that magical trip!:love:

Oh, Trish, I'm sorry it didn't go as well as hoped. DBF started off as not a fan of Disney, but I roped him into a trip and he grew to LOVE it. I'm sorry that didn't happen with your husband. That's rough :hug:
I say if you think a TR would be therapeutic for you, go for it. While most TR's are, like you said, overwhelmingly positive, it's the truth that not EVERY Disney trip is perfect. A different perspective would be nice.
I have to say, you are taking it fabulously-- if I had spent more park time during a 5 day trip than an 11 day, I would have been furious! Way to go for being so easy-going, even if you do have regrets.

Oh, I am so happy that you were successful in getting your guy firmly on board the Disney bus! I have seen (and envied) so many couples in the parks and resorts over the years, strolling hand in hand, both of whom seem thoroughly happy and thrilled to be there. I would so love to experience that!

And yes, I think you would have gone crazy if you could have seen how little time we spent in the parks!:sad2: It was so frustrating for me to know that they were right there - yet so far away!:laughing:

As a result, I have decided that I am never inviting DH back on another WDW trip again!:rotfl:

Trish, very sorry to hear that things did not go as planned. I hope you realize that you are not alone in having a spouse who is not into Disney. For me it was helpful to hear that I am not alone in wishing that my DH would change in his views but being unsuccessful every time. I think when you are on the boards and hear of everyone making these amazing plans and how the families seem to all be in tune then it is frustrating to not have that same experience with your own spouse. But like you have seen so many people comment, it is not the same for everyone.

I wonder if it will help you to know that my DH is almost allergic to Disney. He does let me plan trips but I cannot discuss any of these plans with him as he usually tunes out any such discussions. We have had trips where he has not even known where we will be staying until the day of the trip itself. There have even been times when we have gone there and he does not want to go to the parks so I have just taken the kids alone while he relaxes at the hotel. It is very stressful to be not only the planner prior to getting there but to also be like a tour guide who has to put their own pleasure aside to ensure everyone else is enjoying themselves. So for me, I am trying to come to terms with the fact that we will never have the kind of Disney experience that many speak of on the boards (no resort changing, no rope drops, no itinerary of rides to do on each day). In his defense I will say that he has an extremely stressful and hectic job and so his idea of relaxation is different than mine. I think Disney means different things to different people and we just have to accept that. For me, I think that as the kids get older, I might just go alone with them.

As I type this, I can feel the discomfort in expressing these thoughts because putting them to paper certainly makes the disappointment more real. However, I think it might be good for you to share some of your trip as it might be cathartic as well as make you see some of the positive experiences that I am sure also occurred. Also, you are opening up the discussion for those who may have been too nervous to express their disappointment in having non-Disney loving spouses.

I hope your weekend is not too hectic and that you feel caught up soon. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:worship: I can't tell you how much this post means to me! I too am so happy to know I am not the only one who has to deal with this! For me, the most crushing moment on the entire trip came when I was sitting on the beach at the Poly watching Wishes with the kids on our last night, while DH was back in the room. Looking around at all the other families, hearing other fathers saying to their kids "Look at that one!"....."Wow"...."Awesome"....and knowing that I will never be able to share my love for WDW in that way with DH was more devestating to me than I would ever want to admit.

It is so difficult when your life partner doesn't share or appreciate something so important and special to you.

Trish, I'm so sorry to hear your trip wasn't filled with pixie dust! I am so glad however I got to meet you and your family!

I'm afraid to say, I too am married to someone who I fear will never come to love Disney in the same way I do. Since I returned, Daniel has mentioned several times to me that the next time I go to Disney, he and Patrick are coming with me and Greg is staying home for some alone time :lmao: I'm not sure where he picked that idea up from but I suspect it may not be too far from the truth

:rotfl: Too funny Katie!!! Your little 5 yr old sounds like a very wise man!;)

I am so glad I got a chance to meet you too! You were Planner Extrordinaire for the Cinco de Mayo Meet!:worship: I don't think you will be surprised to know that DH had reached his limit for the parks by the time of the noon meet, which is why I didn't have much time to stay longer! Very jealous I didn't get a chance to sample some of those amazing looking drinks!:drinking1

UGH I am so sorry that your vacation did not go as planned :hug: I am sure that it is very upsetting to a super planner like yourself. For what it is worth, I would still love to hear details and see pictures, even if it is just a mini-TR. I am happy you are home safe and I am glad that you enjoyed the BC so much :goodvibes

Thanks Katie!:goodvibes Yes, I can say with no hesitation that *everyone* in my family thoroughly enjoyed the Beach Club. Even DH! In fact, he said it was the nicest vacation destination that he had ever experienced.

The Beach Club (and SAB in particular) was the one place that DH thoroughly enjoyed throughout the entire trip. So much that it was a true struggle to get him to go anywhere else. Perhaps I did a little too good in choosing the place to stay.:rotfl:

Although we have spent time eating and shopping at the GF on every trip, after our dinner at Narcoosees (DH's favourite meal of the trip), DH also announced that he would like to stay here on a future trip.:eek:

I have decided though that if I ever bring DH back to WDW, the kids and I will be going down 3-4 days beforehand so that we can get our fill of the parks before he joins us.;)

I'm sorry your trip wasn't as magical as you had hoped. :sad1:
Sending some hugs your way!

Amanda

Thanks Amanda!:hug: While I still have special memories from the trip, it is really too bad that everyone in the family wasn't completely on board with the parks and the Disney magic. The resort is great...but I don't go to Disney to sit at the resorts for 10 days...as great as they are. It was a great trip, but it really could have been a FANTASTIC trip, if you know what I mean!

Oh I'm so sorry your trip didn't go as planned :hug:

Thank you!!!:goodvibes

I am also sorry to hear that your trip wasn't as great as you had hoped it would be. I hope you will still do a TR...maybe it would help you to relive some of the better memories of the trip??

Thanks!:hug:

Yes...I think you are right. It may be a good way to record those great memories of the trip for the future. If it wasn't for the fact that I was writing a trip report for the trip my daughter and I took back in September 2007, I would probably still be procrastinating about jotting down some of my memories for our scrapbook. Now, as a result of the trip report, I have everything preserved. That was the number one reason I wrote my last 2 trip reports...so that I will have them to look back on in years to come!:goodvibes

I know you mentioned at our meet that things were not going as well as you had hoped, I'm so sorry that it put a negative spin on your trip. I'll be honest, while we still had a good time, my trip was not as I had envisioned either and I know just how you feel knowing that it is your last trip for awhile and how badly you wanted everything to go perfectly.

I hope you decide to still do a report, I'd love to read about it - warts and all! :goodvibes

Thanks Michelle!:hug: I am surprised to hear that your trip as well wasn't everything you had hoped it would be and more. I really thought you would enjoy so much the time with your mom, and getting a chance to do so adult things. Plus, your mom seemed like she was such a great sport and having a good time during the Cinco meet. Was it the thought of missing your guys at home that was harder than you thought? I guess you will answer all that and more on your PTR/TR...speaking of which, I really have to get caught up on that! I am still trying to dig out from the post-vacation mountainous to-do list!:scared:

I think the good, bad and the ugly is well...life.

To pretend otherwise is being an ostrich.

I think it is cathartic to tell it all, all that you are comfortable with. And to know that you have unending support here. I hope you will do a TR, know that I will be there to listen. And sometimes (at least I know I do!) that's all we all need. Someone to listen and understand.

I am sorry it didn't go as you hoped. :hug:

I think the good, bad and the ugly is well...life.

To pretend otherwise is being an ostrich.

I think it is cathartic to tell it all, all that you are comfortable with. And to know that you have unending support here. I hope you will do a TR, know that I will be there to listen. And sometimes (at least I know I do!) that's all we all need. Someone to listen and understand.

I am sorry it didn't go as you hoped. :hug:

Thanks Cynthia!:hug: Very wise words!

I look forward to catching up with you soon...I have to catch up on your CA trip report!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter