JUNE 1ST- NO CHANCE

Wasn’t there mention of a possible fall uptick in covid as well?
What will be will be. I’m not re booking anything at this point.

Right now I foresee a fall or later opening. Not a summer opening. As things get worse I see MORE restrictions. So by June I see most stores, restaurants, services, etc except the most basic essentials to be closed. By August things opening back up in stages. By October maybe entertainment venues will reopen.
By October we will be starting the flu season again.

For reference, here's the chart they referenced in the briefing:

View attachment 484870

Note that the lowest part of the projection actually doesn't happen until well past June 1. The projected deaths/day on June 1 look to be at about the same level as they were a week-10 days ago.

Again, if that's OK for you and your family, knock yourselves out.

Fauci also said that the death curve is always well past the peak of new cases, it always follows with a surge. He even mentioned that going into late June/ealy July time frame. But I don't ever recall him saying we had to wait out the death curve? I have always heard the mid May timeframe from him. Of course, that is always subject to change. Like he says, the virus dictates this.

:confused3 IDK. I don't see anything resembling normal to happen for a while, but a slow opening maybe in late May/ early June. Key word, slow. What that means for big venues like Disney is a mystery to me. I imagine it is mystery to them as well right now too.

I do wonder if they will open at a very reduced max capacity? I wonder if that would be better for or worse revenue wise? Is some revenue better than nothing? Maybe limited rides, restaurants, and hotels open? But who is going to come? Disney is not a value destination and many won't want to go if they cannot experience everything. On the flip side you have the Disney lovers who will go regardless. It will be interesting to see how this is handled. As we keep hearing, this is unprecedented.

I wish Disney would backpedal on the use of masks by adults. I have seen a very few people using them in the past, and it was obvious they needed them for medical reasons. But people have reported emailing Disney specifically about masks and Corona and getting the standard response of no masks for adults. I would feel better about going back if I, and the people I come in contact with, could freely wear masks. I am sure the CMs would appreciate it as well. One of the local mayors is asking everyone to wear homemade masks to the grocery store, as wearing them is better than going without And it saves the disposable ones for medical personnel. Just imagine all the cute Disney masks we could make and wear . . .

I do wonder if they will open at a very reduced max capacity? I wonder if that would be better for or worse revenue wise? Is some revenue better than nothing? Maybe limited rides, restaurants, and hotels open? But who is going to come? Disney is not a value destination and many won't want to go if they cannot experience everything.

Disneyland’s daily operating costs come to about $3.5 to $4 million. Disney World can be approximated at about $15 million per day.
So, Id assume they would need to at least cover those costs to consider opening the parks.

I wish Disney would backpedal on the use of masks by adults. I have seen a very few people using them in the past, and it was obvious they needed them for medical reasons. But people have reported emailing Disney specifically about masks and Corona and getting the standard response of no masks for adults. I would feel better about going back if I, and the people I come in contact with, could freely wear masks. I am sure the CMs would appreciate it as well. One of the local mayors is asking everyone to wear homemade masks to the grocery store, as wearing them is better than going without And it saves the disposable ones for medical personnel. Just imagine all the cute Disney masks we could make and wear . . .
I doubt that Disney's standard response is written in stone. Florida's governor just authorized a statewide shutdown after leaving it to counties to make the decision. As well Halloween masks are not the same as medical masks. Since WDW and DL are closed now a more up to date decision would probably be made closer to actual re-opening.

Disneyland’s daily operating costs come to about $3.5 to $4 million. Disney World can be approximated at about $15 million per day.
So, Id assume they would need to at least cover those costs to consider opening the parks.

Yes, no way would they want to operate and lose more money being open.

I just wondered what was the sweet spot for how many visitors they need to have, even if they reduced operating costs (i.e., limited rides, restaurants, and hotels) is. I bet they will be crunching the numbers.

I’m tempted to rebook my flight to see friends & family for late June. No crowds involved, no change fees if I have to delay (which I absolutely would if it weren't a Dis-approved level of safe), and prices are so good now . . . They’d presumably only go up once things start opening again. But I still can’t decide

The school I work at seems to think the governors closure of schools til May 4 will be the end. I keep asking questions about the stuff I have to do and keep getting that we can do that when we start back. Like May 5 we will wake up and have no recollection if what Covid19 was and the sun will shine and birds will sing and everyone will go skipping off to work or school. 🙄

I don't know but I'm sick of thinking about it.

I no longer pay attention to the minute by minute count of how many test positive, how many die. I don't watch the news much anymore except our local news. I'm not nervous or anxious anymore, just don't feel need to be obsessed with it anymore. It will end when it ends.

I work and am thankful to still be working, go for walks, talk to friends/family, we cook dinner, watch movies and are waiting it out.

To say I have "covid fatigue" would be an understatement.

See, again I wish there was a :hug: emoji in the Like selection. I know how you feel Farro as do probably many many other Disers. :hug:

Georgia governor just closed schools through the end of the school year (was supposed to end May 22nd). We have a Disney trip scheduled for June 10-27th. Flights booked. I really don't know what to expect. Even if Disney opens, will airline allow rebooking if we decide not to go? As Elsa might say, "Into the Unknown!"

I didn't know they didn't allow this. That is odd. You'd think that just the fact that they are international attractions and draw visitors from countries where mask-wearing is a norm would push them to carve out a narrow exception for medical-style masks (while still banning costume-style masks).

And if you want to dig a little deeper, this is the website for IHME, which is doing the modeling work that produced the chart at yesterday's briefing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
You can look at what they project by date and by state.

On June 1 they project 217 COVID 19 deaths nationally. The closest similar date we've had so far is March 25 (230 deaths). They also project on June 1 2,019 ventilators needed, 2,524 ICU beds needed and 22,077 total beds needed for COVID 19 patients.
Thanks for that link-it's really eye opening.

So if Disney or other entertainment providers open at that time, I hope they can find others who will go.
That won't be a problem. There are millions of Americans who are already sick to death of staying at home all the time and isolating themselves from others, and by June there will be a lot more. They will be very eager to go out again with a bang once the restrictions are eased. Crowds will probably be significantly less than usual at first because planning a trip there right now is an uncertain thing, and many people have been hurt economically, but the parks won't be empty by any means. Plenty of people have still been getting full paychecks working at home, are at low-risk from the virus, and want to return to regular life asap.

I'm not particularly young, but I feel bad for healthy young people right now (I also feel very bad for the sick, elderly & others at high risk, of course- how much more stressful for them). But as the mother of a teen, I see how young people's social lives, which are such a big part of their lives, have been curtailed. Virtual is not the same as the real thing. There has never been a time in American history in which everyone had to socially isolate at home for months, and I think it's very challenging in particular for those young people, who developmentally speaking, are at a place in their lives where they naturally want and need to socialize a lot and explore the world. It's a sad situation all around.

And if you want to dig a little deeper, this is the website for IHME, which is doing the modeling work that produced the chart at yesterday's briefing.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
You can look at what they project by date and by state.

On June 1 they project 217 COVID 19 deaths nationally. The closest similar date we've had so far is March 25 (230 deaths). They also project on June 1 2,019 ventilators needed, 2,524 ICU beds needed and 22,077 total beds needed for COVID 19 patients.

Great site. Thanks.

Has there actually been a source saying they were asked to take off their medical mask? I think Disney's standard line has been "no masks", but I've understood that to be "costume" type masks.

if Disney or other entertainment providers open at that time, I hope they can find others who will go.
There is a music festival Fathers Day weekend that just announced they are NOT postponing at this time and comments were all YAY! Somethings not being cancelled. Something to look forward to.

Crazy if you ask me. I’m not planning to do anything that involves groups of people for quite awhile.

I don't know - seeing everyone wearing masks in Disney would kind of do me in - I totally understand it from a medical standpoint ( and the jury is still out on how effective the cloth masks are) , but just the thought of it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies

That won't be a problem. There are millions of Americans who are already sick to death of staying at home all the time and isolating themselves from others, and by June there will be a lot more. They will be very eager to go out again with a bang once the restrictions are eased. Crowds will probably be significantly less than usual at first because planning a trip there right now is an uncertain thing, and many people have been hurt economically, but the parks won't be empty by any means. Plenty of people have still been getting full paychecks working at home, are at low-risk from the virus, and want to return to regular life asap.

I'm not particularly young, but I feel bad for healthy young people right now (I also feel very bad for the sick, elderly & others at high risk, of course- how much more stressful for them). But as the mother of a teen, I see how young people's social lives, which are such a big part of their lives, have been curtailed. Virtual is not the same as the real thing. There has never been a time in American history in which everyone had to socially isolate at home for months, and I think it's very challenging in particular for those young people, who developmentally speaking, are at a place in their lives where they naturally want and need to socialize a lot and explore the world. It's a sad situation all around.

Beautifully said !

Has there actually been a source saying they were asked to take off their medical mask? I think Disney's standard line has been "no masks", but I've understood that to be "costume" type masks.
No, so far as I am aware, no one was asked to remove a mask. This was a person being proactive and emailing Disney to see if they could wear them, and if I remember correctly, verifying what types they could wear, and the email they got back (which they posted) said masks could only be worn by children and those with actual medical needs. I think this was right about the time they closed the parks, so it could be that they thought it would be a quickly resolved issue and that masks wouldn’t be necessary. We all know it’s not a quick thing, and with even the CDC suggesting that masks for all isn’t a bad idea (primarily as it reduces community spread by asymptomatic people) I would hope (and fervently wish) Disney would allow anyone to wear a medical mask who wants to. I don’t think we will see the issue addressed until they announce an opening date, and any other restrictions or requirements they may put in place.

I have caught the Disney crud on more than one occasion because someone turned their head while in line or walking past and sneezed directly in my face. Wearing a mask would have reduced the risk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter