May 10, 2008 Ship of Thieves! Stealing the Magic..AGAIN!!! Panama Canal FL to CA!!!

old poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to stay in one of the DL hotels...not the GC though for $340 a night. I guess Floridians and WDW AP holders don't get discounts out there.

Since we will be retired :dance3: by the cruise and since we have friends and family in Southern California, I think we will plan on a few days there before the cruise, leave our vehicle at someone's house, fly LA to Orlando, spend a few days at WDW and then spend a few more days at DL. Sounds like at least 3 weeks to me! :woohoo:

I don't think two days will be enough out there at all but with a 15 night cruise and then 2 days and a travel day added on, I am not sure just how much time both John and I could be off.....:)

I have been looking at DL info and wow, don't know where to start and won't we be there over memorial day?

V - We are thinking about 2 days at DL, and then flying out later Tuesday. PJ is thinking the same thing.

John1

DL will be crowded but it will be ok. Use the fastpass info from these boards, get hopper pass and go to DCA in the afternoons when DL is crowded, start early and stay late both days. Our favorite time to go is the Tues after Mem. Day. :thumbsup2

DL will be packed and it is not unusual for them to reach capacity and limit admission later on in the day. Also, many of the fastpasses are gone or extremely limited in use. Mouseplanet.com or miceage.com both keep up info on those items as well as items going down for rehap. DCA takes about 1/2 a day to a full day and does not have much in the way of rides for small children. If DL is closed off to admissions, then they will turn people to DCL and it will get very crowded. The Howard Johnson's across the street from the old DL main entrance is a great alternative for the budget minded. The rooms tend to be a little larger and they have a couple of pools. You can also see part of the fire works show from your hotel balcony. Free parking for guests of the hotel and you can walk across the street to DL entrance, and it is about the same distance as walking to the DL hotel (GC is closer because it is in DCA and DTD).

Don't forget that you are also close enough to do Knott's Berry Farm if so inclined.

Well, one week apart then (oh, and BTW, 1986 - I am really messing up my dates). Did not see England at first so I guess our Memorial Day is not coincident with a Holiday across the pond. Do you have reason to think the Transatlantic will be more rocky?

John1

Your Memorial Day coincides with our Late May Bank Holiday (aka Spring Bank Holiday, aka Whitsun). At this distance I have absolutely no idea why we opted for the 17th!

As for the Transatlantic - well, I work with the military (DH and I are both ex-RAF) and one very experienced Royal Navy chap I know said that you can never predict the Atlantic. Regardless of route and time of year, it could like a millpond or it could be rough. We decided that it would be miserable if DH was seasick a couple of days out, knowing there might be no respite until we reach the Canaries.

Angie we are doing most of the Tuesday, and if I can't get a good flight I might just have to stay an extra night in a normal room, oh what will I do, lol.

Pj

Hello everyone.

We're IN!!! :banana: Talked to the family last night and we're all in agreement that it will be the May repo for us.

coming along we have:

me. dh (in our 20s, but DH will have his 30th birthday onboard!);
DD ( will be 2);
my mom, Sister (will be 17), Sister (will be 10) and brother (will be 5);
and my grandparents, who are in their 80s.

We're getting inside cabins (hopefully)
I can't wait to be booked so we can really feel like we're going!!!
How crazy do you guys think it will be to book on the 31st?
Will the phone lines be jammed that morning?

Hello everyone.

We're IN!!! :banana: Talked to the family last night and we're all in agreement that it will be the May repo for us.

I can't wait to be booked so we can really feel like we're going!!!
How crazy do you guys think it will be to book on the 31st?
Will the phone lines be jammed that morning?

:lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao:

Will the phone lines be busy? You have got to be kidding...expect to be on hold for possibly hours...last time they had over 500 people in the queue, and when you tried calling in, you got the all circuits are busy please try again. :rolleyes1 I highly recommend you get a travel agent who can devote the day to sitting on hold and making your ressies for you. :surfweb: If you need references, myself or any of the other people on this forum I am sure could send you in the right direction. :thumbsup2

DL will be packed and it is not unusual for them to reach capacity and limit admission later on in the day. Also, many of the fastpasses are gone or extremely limited in use. Mouseplanet.com or miceage.com both keep up info on those items as well as items going down for rehap. DCA takes about 1/2 a day to a full day and does not have much in the way of rides for small children. If DL is closed off to admissions, then they will turn people to DCL and it will get very crowded. The Howard Johnson's across the street from the old DL main entrance is a great alternative for the budget minded. The rooms tend to be a little larger and they have a couple of pools. You can also see part of the fire works show from your hotel balcony. Free parking for guests of the hotel and you can walk across the street to DL entrance, and it is about the same distance as walking to the DL hotel (GC is closer because it is in DCA and DTD).

Don't forget that you are also close enough to do Knott's Berry Farm if so inclined.

We have always found lots for our little ones to do at DCA. They love Bugs Land, they love to play in the forest area (can't think of the name), the Jumpin' Jellyfish is a favorite, the rockets that swing around, Mulholland Madness is the only fast ride our DGS (age 7) will ride.

You just have to keep in mind that DCA is NOT DL. I think WDW folks have a lot less trouble with this concept since MGM, AK and Epcot are Disney, but not Magic Kingdom.

:lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao:

Will the phone lines be busy? You have got to be kidding...expect to be on hold for possibly hours...last time they had over 500 people in the queue, and when you tried calling in, you got the all circuits are busy please try again. :rolleyes1 I highly recommend you get a travel agent who can devote the day to sitting on hold and making your ressies for you. :surfweb: If you need references, myself or any of the other people on this forum I am sure could send you in the right direction. :thumbsup2

I'll have to see what happens. My DH is a cast member, so we have to book directly, through the cast member system.

I expected that there would be very long waits, but I wasn't sure if it was a problem even getting in to the queue. Luckily there's such a thing as SPEAKERPHONE!

Angie we are doing most of the Tuesday, and if I can't get a good flight I might just have to stay an extra night in a normal room, oh what will I do, lol.

Pj

Pj, my recommendation is spend Monday with us at Dennis' sister's house for a bbq/pool party. ;) She has a beautiful place and is always open to us bringing a group on MD. That is her anniversary also by the way. Will be around 10 for her in 2008. :thumbsup2 Tuesday at DL has been wonderful the last 6 years.

To continue the above..(I got interrupted by work:mad: ). We will probably do DL/DCA on Sunday and Tuesday. Beach or some other So. Cal activity on Monday - and for us this will quite likely be bbq at DrHug's sis' home.

Angie, The offer is awesome, but for now I am hoping to just do DL, as I might not get the chance to visit again for many years. But if things change, spending the day with you and your family sounds like a wonderful alternative!

Pj

So, ok I checked out pics of the DL hotels and GC looks like WL, so DLH here I come, it has so many special touches and the pool is awesome!

Pj

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter