Mistake gender on ultrasound...has this happened to anyone?

#1 and #3 we found out - both times the u/s was correct.

#2 we left as a surprise and I just *knew* the baby was a girl... and she was.

We had friends who had 3 DDs and were told #4 was a boy after an u/s. Painted the room blue, hung the babies name in big blue letters - and came home with another baby girl!

Yep - happened to me. With our first, we wanted the "surprise" although I was positive it was a boy. I was right.

For our second, we decided to find out. The technician said boy, he was sure boy and we had several ultrasounds because I had a little higher risk, so I can't remember which one it was but definitely not the first. I also though boy, only because I felt a strong affinity to my grandmother and she'd had all boys, my DH only has a brother, I only have a brother so I just though boy.

I didn't buy any new things since we already had a boy, so covered on the clothing front. Funny thing though, even though I'd been told boy and I though boy, I only took the neutrals from my first "unknown" newborn to the hospital.

She's almost eight. I told everyone in the delivery room - boy, his name's Aiden. As she was delivered they held her up and I saw her at the same time all the nurses and the doc said It's a GIRL!!!!!!!!! I lost it. Cried louder than her. All I could think was yay! Hair, clothes and makeup. :rolleyes1

Well, they eventually caught it, but we were wrong for a while. (this was in 2008, so fairly recent)

I had ultrasounds at 16, 18 and 21 weeks, all said one boy and one girl. However, at 24 weeks (After the shower invites had gone out!), it turns out to be two boys! I guess that's better than being surprised at delivery, but it was still a bit of a shock at the time.

I spent the rest of the pregnancy convinced there was a third baby--a girl--hiding in there somewhere :rotfl:

Our first child was a born by c section and we didn't know the gender in advance. Baby was lifted out and we were told " Congratulations, it's a boy! Oh , wait a minute no it's not, that's the cord" Needless to say the theatre nurses made that surgeon's life a misery for a long time and she was given numerous copies of books on how to tell the difference!:rotfl:
Second child ( at different hospital in different area of country) was revealed ( at 38 week scan) to be a 6lb boy. At 42 weeks and after an emergency c section ( he's only 6lb, you'll manage a natural delivery!) we were presented with a 7lb 12 oz girl! :confused3

It happened so many times in my family that it was one reason that I didn't want to know the sex of my baby when I had an ultrasound. We had a girl and when the doctor opened the sealed envelope after she was born, he had been correct.

My SIL's "little girl" was a boy and she was really freaked out. My niece's "boy" was a girl and she was overjoyed but it took her several days to think of a name since they'd only chosen a boy's name.

With my last child the tech wrote its a girl up there!! I was excited and ran back home to tell everyone and started calling My belly the girl name I picked. I went back for a 23 week ultrasound and "HE" opened up wide and the tech put up there Mr. Pickle!! :eek: I was soo shocked but glad I didnt buy any clothes until much later

I know one person this happened to. (But I know a lot of people, so I second the don't fret too much comment! - I think we all just like to share these stories because they're funny...now. "Right" answers are much more common.)

Anyway, the one time I personally knew of this happening -
The wife of a coworker was expecting, told it was a girl, and she was going to be the first granddaughter among several grandsons. We threw her the "pinkest" shower I've ever been to...and she had a darling boy.

My doctor told me that when she does ultrasounds she will tell you if she is 100% sure or if she isn't really sure. She was correct with both of my pregnancies.

We do know people who have been shocked though. We have had girl baby showers and the whole bit, only to see a boy in their arms later!

Dawn

Never happened to me (have all boys, though). If you're really concerned, though, just stock up on lots of yellow outfits! :goodvibes And congrats!

Our first baby class was 5 families. All but us wanted a boy. We didn't care. All of them thought they were having boys. I got mad at that attitude and only bought 1 girl outfit to take to the hospital. You can guess...we got the boy and all 4 others were wrong.

Even with a 100% positive ultrasound I wouldn't go and do a gender specific room/clothing, etc. There is always the chance for error. They were pretty positive DS15 was a boy but they couldn't get a good look at DD15 but they were pretty sure she was a girl. They were right but it could have gone either way with all those body parts in there :lmao:.

My "daughter" is an 8 yr old boy.
I had my u/s around 22 weeks... was told he was a girl.
had a few doubts, but "the dr SAID". my first pg, we started buying boy clothes as soon as i got a positive - and i was right.

I'm the only person I know that this has happened to.

My SIL is pregnant and she read an article that said college educated women have a 70% change of "knowing" what their baby is. High school educated, 50%. So I asked my college educated co-worker, she was right for 5 of her 6 children.

Those percents are interesting! A few months before we started trying to get pregnant, I had a feeling while driving home that we'd have a girl. It was so random and sudden and the feeling hasn't changed. So maybe my instincts are right. My friend has 3 kids. For all 3 she knew exactly what she'd have before the doc even told her.

I had 3 ultrasounds with my 15 year old DD. All 3 times, I was told she was a boy. We bought all kinds of boy stuff, my shower was boy themed, etc. Well, she came out a girl, LOL. I didn't have a girl named picked out. Needless to say, she had a lot of clothes with footballs, etc. on them that she wore until she was about 3 months old. I took her and got her ears pierced at 1 month and some of my favorite pictures are of her in her "boy" outfits with her ears pierced and a bow in her hair!

I have three boys, I did not want to know--but I "knew" I was having boys. Hubby was told by the doc & ultrasound tech and they were correct all three times.

Our lawyer was told they were having a boy. His wife did not want to know. She came home to find that he had painted the room blue, with sailboats. They had a girl. This was probably 20 years ago though. I assume things are better now. (He used to take great delight in telling us stories on how his wife wanted to kill him for various things. One was the room, the other was when he bought a house and didn't tell her or let her even know until after he bought it. :sad2: )

I had a friend who was thrilled to 'know' she was having a girl..she already had a boy, so she figured life was just about perfect. Everyone went out and bought lots of pink, frilly things. Well...when she delivered, it was a boy. That poor girl cried on the delivery room table. I felt so badly for her. She had several ultrasounds and the drs all kept telling her 'girl'.
Two sure fire ways to know the sex..birth and amnio.
When I was pregnant with my now 16 y/o, I was sure it was going to be a boy...college educated, over 40 so should have known according to a previous post. But, due to my age, I had an amnio done. I didn't care to know the sex, but dh really wanted to know. So, I let them tell me. I was truly shocked when they said girl.

I just don't put a ton of confidence in ultrasounds unless they are saying 'boy'...for obvious reasons.

My sister was told she was having a girl with her first and ended up having a boy. I don't really think it was the ultrasound tech's fault though. Our stepmother was terminally ill at the time, and she wanted to know what the baby was before she passed. My sister's doctor agreed to do an ultrasound even though it was early to find out the gender. The tech said girl and we ran with it. Pink baby shower, tons of pink clothes, pink room, etc. Two weeks before the baby was born, my sister had another ultrasound and found out it was a boy! I still remember going to Babies R Us for her with this massive amount of pink clothing. The poor clerk thought a tragedy had happened until I explained.

I personally know of 2 people this has happened to. Told they were having girls and had boys.

I found out with my younger son...and there was no mistaking it. But, had they told me girl, I would have been very skeptical until I was holding the babe in my arms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter