• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need to vent about a roommate...

The pp brought up that the roommate could move out and a stranger could move in (sign a lease), we are not discussing that situation.
As far as you thinking in the OP has no say, well that is your opinion and since the OP hasn't posted a copy of the lease agreements, or the campus housing rules for us to "argue"about its pointless for me to respond about that.
However it is my opinion that any tenant in that apartment has a right to know what is going on in it while they are living there, and I'll leave it at that.

I've given my opinion, and some people don't like it, wouldn't recommend it, think I'm evil for mentioning it and that is all great. It doesn't change what I said, or what I would do or what I recommend to anyone else asking the same thing.
So you would report someone is using drugs, just because you don’t know for sure that they aren’t using drugs? I think the OP needs to put on her big girl pants, realize they are all adults, able to make their own decisions, and that

this is the time in life where friends go their own ways. I’m still close with some college friends, 40 years later. I have no idea where some of the others ended up, haven’t heard from them in 40 years.

Since the roommate said she wouldn’t be smoking or letting friends stay in her room (even though that might actually be allowed), the only issue is some hurt feelings.

HOnestly, I would be very uncomfortable with having "strangers" in common areas off which my bedroom was located--I cna understand that. And if it were a violation of the lease to have unattended guests, I can totally support reporting that. I donÄT# tihnk you are evil for mentioning reporting actual violations one is aware of. Or for being unfortable (well, no one said you were evil at all so far as I can see). Reporting drug use about which someone has no evidence of beucase you don't like them being around, though? That is about best unethical, IMO.

Unethical maybe, but it depends on how you look at it.
I am not telling the OP to go to campus housing and say "There are people in there doing drugs"
I said to go to campus housing and say you believe they are. So, technically she isn't saying they are actually doing drugs, she is only saying what she thinks may be happening. If you feel that is unethical, I'm not going to tell you you are wrong.
I don't see it that way, I see it as the OP going to campus housing with a concern of what may be happening when strangers are staying overnight without the lessee with them in the apartment. Then it becomes an issue with for campus housing to deal with, and in reality she may not even have to go that far, she may just be able to go in and tell them that her roommate is giving her key out and letting people stay there without her. Depending on the rules in the agreement/s that they have with the student lessee that may be all that is needed for them to take action.
I am well past the college age, and I definitely don't care about smoking pot but I have a dd who is leaving for school next fall. If she came to me and asked what she could do in this exact situation that would be my advice to her (if it continued to be a problem).

Last edited:
I am not telling the OP to go to campus housing and say "There are people in there doing drugs"
I said to go to campus housing and say you believe they are. So, technically she isn't saying they are actually doing drugs, she is only saying what she thinks may be happening. If you feel that is unethical, I'm not going to tell you you are wrong.
I don't see it that way, I see it as the OP going to campus housing with a concern of what may be happening when strangers are staying overnight without the lessee with them in the apartment. Then it becomes an issue with for campus housing to deal with, and in reality she may not even have to go that far, she may just be able to go in and tell them that her roommate is giving her key out and letting people stay there without her. Depending on the rules in the agreement/s that they have with the student lessee that may be all that is needed for them to take action.
I am well past the college age, and I definitely don't care about smoking pot but I have a dd who is leaving for school next fall. If she came to me and asked what she could do in this exact situation that would be my advice to her.

You keep saying “go to campus housing”, but the OP clarified back in post 28 that this is not campus housing affiliated with the university. When she previously said student housing she meant rentals catering to students.

I am well past the college age, and I definitely don't care about smoking pot but I have a dd who is leaving for school next fall. If she came to me and asked what she could do in this exact situation that would be my advice to her.
To report that you beleive someone is doing drugs, with no evidence to make you suspect that, but only beucase you want them to get into trouble and be told to leave? Yeah, that is unethical.

I have a kid in college, living on campus right now. In the OP's situation, if my child truly felt unsafe, I would suggest my child speak to the landlord about that and be honest about what is happening.
If nothing could be done to resovle the problem (perhpas the lease allows this and no added locks could be placed on my kids' door, etc) and my child continued to feel truly unsafe--we'd eat the costs of ducking out of the lease early and move my kid somewhere safer and learn not to sign such leases in the future.
We would not put others into a bad situation by lying about having suspiscions of them illegally using drugs---that is SO MUCH worse than anything the OP's roomate has done.

You keep saying “go to campus housing”, but the OP clarified back in post 28 that this is not campus housing affiliated with the university. When she previously said student housing she meant rentals catering to students.

I haven't been reading what anyone posts, only when someone quotes me so I did not see that.
So in that case I would say go to whoever is managing the property and take it up with them.

To report that you beelive someone is doing drugs, with no evidence to make you suspect that, but only beucase you want them to get into trouble nad be told to leave? Yeah, that is unethical.

I have a kid in college, living on campus right now. If my kid were worried about their safety due to strangers being given a key to other rooms in the dorm space I would tell my kid to report that: the truth. That soandso has not been usign their room and there have been times when other peopel are using it, apartently having been given the key by soandso and with soandso'S permission but iwhtout their presences and that feels unsafe to my kid---and hten my kid can work out with housing if what soandso is doing is allowed, how and if it is what my kid can do to feel safer (change rooms/buildings? Be given a better lock? etc).

I would NOT advidse my child to lie to housing about suspected activites that my child has no reason to suspect.

Well that would be different for everyone. The OP states her friend gets high and that she knows they do harder drugs too. That is enough for me to suspect the people she lets crash there when she isn't there. YMMV.
I'm YAGEing here, I'm not sure what else anyone wants to hear. :confused3

I haven't been reading what anyone posts, only when someone quotes me so I did not see that.
So in that case I would say go to whoever is managing the property and take it up with them.

You get that the consequence of that is the property managers may evict the friend and that a new complete stranger will be added to the house? How is that better?

Well that would be different for everyone. The OP states her friend gets high and that she knows they do harder drugs too. That is enough for me to suspect the people she lets crash there when she isn't there. YMMV.
I'm YAGEing here, I'm not sure what else anyone wants to hear. :confused3
Actually, the OP stated that her friend smokes pot, and some of the people she hangs out with do harder drugs, not that the roommates does them. I’ve smoked my share of pot back in the day, never touched anything else, it never crossed my mind.

I am well past the college age, and I definitely don't care about smoking pot but I have a dd who is leaving for school next fall. If she came to me and asked what she could do in this exact situation that would be my advice to her (if it continued to be a problem).

I wasn't even gonna bother with this thread cause I knew it would go south but to the bolded - REALLY?!?!? So if I go to the police and say I think she is burying bodies in her backyard, it's ok because I don't know it isn't true? That is probably the most absurd & specious argument I have heard in a very long time.

As far as roommate - it is as simple as read your lease. If it is no smoking(and I know this has been resolved) then it means anything weed, cigars or even a hooka.

The lease will probably spell out the rules for overnight guests, i.e. how many nights you can have one before your rent may be raised or eviction proceedings can start. It will also spell out sublease.

We're all upset our friendship is basically ruined after all this, and we're more worried about her than anything. She was already on academic probation coming into this semester, and she admitted she barely goes to class anymore. We went to a party at Jay's boyfriend house earlier in the year and we know they do harder drugs and we're always worried she's gonna try them. We've tried talking to her about it but she ignores our texts and rarely ever comes home. And what happens if they break up and she moves back home? She's gonna want to act like nothing happened and everything is fine but we aren't willing to let this go

I understand she's an adult and can make her own choices, but at the end of the day we're all mainly upset she basically threw us away once she got a boyfriend

A lot of people have replied about the marijuana, and I live in Texas so yes it's illegal here. Like I said earlier and several people have brought up, it stopped once we confronted her about it. That isn't the issue anymore, I only included that because that's where the tension started between all of us.

Many people have also mentioned that she's an adult and what she does is none of my business, which is absolutely right, it just sucks to see one of your best friends turn into someone you don't even know. And that's mostly what the thread is about. She is my roommate, but she was my best friend first and most of these problems are coming from her just not being a good friend anymore. Living with someone can definitely change a friendship, and sometimes friends don't stay friends forever which is fine but that doesn't make it any easier to go through it.

We're all just now coming back from thanksgiving break, and if she lets someone stay here again I'll definitely say something about it, but as people mentioned before I don't think it's fair all 4 of us talk to her at a time because we don't want to gang up on her. At this point I'm not very interested in trying to save the friendship because it's been one sided for almost 6 weeks now. We would try to invite her to stuff, she would always say no. She only texts us if she needs something. I can't keep forcing something that isn't going to happen.

O.P., if you read yourself back here you'll find everything.

-They always say don't live with your friends for a reason. This is normal.

-You are pissed that your friend is so close to her boyfriend and has chosen to invest her time and effort into that relationship and not with you.

-If you don't want to be friends with her anymore, don't. But it's crappy to make speculations about her jumping from the occasional joint to shooting up heroin or snorting lines. It's also crappy to assert that you know how she is going to respond to failing out of college or ending a serious relationship. Is that what you want out of a friend? I like knowing people believe the best in me and will have my back through thick or thin. A best friend is not unlike a spouse in that way.

-As someone who has always found it challenging to be friends with females- this is a lot of why. I like straight shooters who say what they mean and mean what they say. Who say it to me instead of discussing it with others or complaining behind my back. I get that you are frustrated with this person's life choices- but how you handle this is teaching you a lot about yourself.

It's very easy to assume "that will never happen to me" or "the rules don't apply here" as you all chose to do when moving in together without set house rules. Learn from it. Move on.

It's also pretty common for people to be unwilling to accept change in the people closest to them. Why do you think most divorce is cited as "irreconcilable differences"? The reality is it is healthy and normal to grow and change as people- your whole life long. The relationships that survive (and yes, a friendship is a relationship) know how to weather the storms and growing pangs.

To be fair, there are a lot of really shallow people content with really petty friendships. Maybe you choose that too. Either way, you are learning what you want and need out of a friend- and how much you can give and tolerate in return.

I'm also going to note that six weeks is only a month and a half. We all make mistakes. Maybe the boyfriend isn't great for her. Maybe college or her major isn't great for her. Maybe there are other things going on that you don't know about. My point is- this is her right now, not her forever. Maybe give this time and space and see how you feel about it later.

It sounds like your friend is on the defensive, it also sounds like she may be an introvert. If phonecalls and texts aren't working, maybe just write her a short letter? Maybe just let her know when you see her, "Hey, I miss hanging out with you. I know you've got a lot going on right now, but I'm still here if you ever want to <insert coffee/walk/activity you did together>." That is, if you aren't truly done and are just lashing out angrily on a message board. If you read yourself back, it kind of sounds like you are convincing yourself that you're through. Maybe if you take a step back, big picture, long term, you might figure it out.

As for the stranger thing- if it isn't against her lease terms and you all never talked about it or signed anything, than there isn't much you can do aside from requesting it stop. Forgive me, but this is all a bit on the dramatic side, so I am struggling to suss out the facts.

So you asked her to stop smoking in the house and she said she would stop....

You asked her to stop letting people use her key and she said she would stop....(if I'm reading that right)

So what's the problem? I thought college kids were a lot more carefree. This whole thing seems dramatic to me. You've known her two years in your late teens, very early 20s. Life goes on.

I would love to here her side of the story. Maybe you guys are too judgmental or dramatic or so far up her butt about every little thing (not saying these things are little but some of it seems petty) she can't stand to be around you guys.

I only read through two pages and no one mentioned this yet (but may have later).
I'm a lot less worried about the pot and a lot more worried about her and the fact she's cut off her friends. This is often a sign on abuse....when the boyfriend keeps the girl from doing things with her friends. She may not even realize that he's manipulating her because she's in a new and infatuous situation and thinks being with him is super great.

I really think you should find her and talk to her as a friend to find out what is going on with her and the guy and to let her know you miss her. Don't even bring up her infractions at first. Greet her as a friend with concerns about her well-being. It so sad when college students get into situations that aren't helping them. She should have been worried about getting back into school next semester. It's not going to happen at this point if she's not going to class. Maybe she's depressed and using pot and other drugs to mask the feelings.

Good luck to you whatever happens.

It's also pretty common for people to be unwilling to accept change in the people closest to them. Why do you think most divorce is cited as "irreconcilable differences"?
While OT for sure to be fair that's sorta not exactly the same thing as you think.

Many states use irreconcilable differences as a catch all especially in no-fault divorce states (which means that the spouse or domestic partner that is asking for the divorce does not have to prove that the other spouse or domestic partner did something wrong)

In California for example you can only divorce for two reasons:
Irreconcilable differences, which have caused the irremediable breakdown of the marriage and Incurable insanity.

For California, for example: To get a no fault divorce, 1 spouse or domestic partner has to state that the couple cannot get along which is legally called “irreconcilable differences.” That doesn't necessarily mean it's two people who are unwilling to accept change. Many different reasons can fall under irreconcilable differences which will also depend on what state you are seeking divorce in.

*I picked California because they have one of the more restrictive reasons you can use for Divorce*

I only read through two pages and no one mentioned this yet (but may have later).
I'm a lot less worried about the pot and a lot more worried about her and the fact she's cut off her friends. This is often a sign on abuse....when the boyfriend keeps the girl from doing things with her friends. She may not even realize that he's manipulating her because she's in a new and infatuous situation and thinks being with him is super great.

I really think you should find her and talk to her as a friend to find out what is going on with her and the guy and to let her know you miss her. Don't even bring up her infractions at first. Greet her as a friend with concerns about her well-being. It so sad when college students get into situations that aren't helping them. She should have been worried about getting back into school next semester. It's not going to happen at this point if she's not going to class. Maybe she's depressed and using pot and other drugs to mask the feelings.

While I think it’s valid that cutting off friends could be signs of something deeper, I don’t think it’s “often”a sign of abuse that someone in a new relationship wants to spend tons and tons of time with their boyfriend. I think most girls/women have been guilty of dropping their friends for a new guy at some point in their lives. I know for me, when a relationship was new and oh so exciting the idea of sitting around watching tv with my friends, or cuddling with my boyfriend wasn’t even a tough decision.

I would NOT start off telling your friend you’re concerned about her well being. That’s would automatically set off my defenses. I would just tell my friend hey I’ve missed hanging out, let’s grab coffee.

I thought college kids were a lot more carefree.
I was carefree in some ways and not carefree in other ways.

I was totally down for a party..but I wasn't down for going to a party if it involved people doing ecstasy and I was just sitting there doing nothing. I was totally down for a party but when you're not the drunk one seeing people around you do salvia while you're just there wasn't what I was down for. There was no judgement from me though just wasn't what I was up for. I had people I had just met that thought I stuck up because I wasn't interested in doing drugs or smoking. Of course they had just met me but they assumed I should be down for whatever since I was a college student. I was totally down for skipping that 8am Chem class but there was a limit to how many before it would actually start to affect things.

Anyways, personally I don't think the OP's issues are at all related to being in college and therefore the carefree aspect. I think they are normal coming of age issues that some people deal with some people don't, some people handle quite well when confronted with them, while others do not. They could all be friends not in college who live in an apartment (ETA: or house) together and still have these issues. With exception of course of the academic probation issue.

It's equally as likely that this is simply someone who's dropped her friends for a guy. Happens all the time. Avoiding her friends is probably a way to avoid visiting reality in the form of addressing her school responsibilities.

As far as OP, it reads pretty strongly to me that the overriding concern is that the friendship is no longer the priority it once was. It's the nature of life and friendships. Some remain, some drift away and some even circle back around in time. All we can do is try to be a friend within the space another allows. Real friendships are truly to be treasured.

While I think it’s valid that cutting off friends could be signs of something deeper, I don’t think it’s “often”a sign of abuse that someone in a new relationship wants to spend tons and tons of time with their boyfriend. I think most girls/women have been guilty of dropping their friends for a new guy at some point in their lives. I know for me, when a relationship was new and oh so exciting the idea of sitting around watching tv with my friends, or cuddling with my boyfriend wasn’t even a tough decision.

I would NOT start off telling your friend you’re concerned about her well being. That’s would automatically set off my defenses. I would just tell my friend hey I’ve missed hanging out, let’s grab coffee.

I agree. I think the OP said this has only been 6 weeks. It's the infatuation stage of spending all your time wrapped up in a new relationship.

I see three different problems being discussed:

1. Illegal drug use. It's reasonable to not want that in the apartment, even in her seperately leased room. My understandign is that it only occurred once and stopped when you all asked her about it. So that is no longer an issue (other adults choosing to smoke weed with her elsewhere is not your bussiness, even if those adults are siblings of a mutual acquaintance---and if the sister wants ot be mad at someone, seems like it makes more sense to be mad at the 18 year old brother who smoked it, but again, not really your issue regardless).

2. Strangers being allowed to stay in her room. As noted, depending on the lease type you may have NO say in this (though I can absolutely see why it might be uncomfortable). Even if you do have one, if I am reading this correctly, she isn't doing that anymore, so again, not an issue anymore.

3. You are jealous that she is hanging out with her boyfriend and his group more than you now. Undertandable, and I can imagine it hurts to be the friend she is leaving behind---but as others have said, this happens often at this age. She might not be a good friend, or she might just not be as interested in the type of deep and long lasting friendship that you are. I suggest moving on without being mean or exclusionary about it. Maybe the new excitement of the boyfriend will wear off and she'll gradually rejoin in the group more, or maybe it turns out y'all are not as good a fit together as you initially thought and are better off as just acquaintances. Either way, these things can and do happen and it doesn't mean anyone is the bad guy.

And PLEASE do not take the advice to lie about her to univeristy, parents or police. That is terrible advice and WOULD make someone (you!) the bad guy.

I really like this post and agree with everything here.

Also regarding her spending time with her boyfriend. It has only been 6 weeks, that's really not a lot of time. Especially in the beginning of a relationship when you are trying to figure out how to incorporate this new person into your life, and dealing with all of the various emotions. This happened so often in my friend group in college, I was even guilty of it myself. I met my now husband the first week of college, I fell for him fast, and hard, and it took me a while to find a good compromise between spending time with him, my friends, and school. I eventually figured it all out, and my friends understood, likely because similar things happened to them, whether it be a new friend group, or relationship, or activity, that they started dedicating a lot more time to than anything else. I also spent most nights at his place, mostly because his housemates didn't care at all, and I didn't want to be disrespectful to my own roommates and eventually housemates by having him around all the time in their space. Maybe this friendship won't last, or maybe it is just changing and adapting as each person changes and adapts as they grow and mature.

Maybe 'often' was the wrong word to use here, but I do think it's a good thing to keep in mind as a possibility.

....regardless of what the ownership situation is, I would think that the owner(s) would like to know about any possible wrongdoings being perpetrated on their property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter