• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

New Pirate Items Available! -Not From Pirates Adventure Game- *SPOILERS*

ok why won't it let me click ont he skull in the middle.. wher eyou get the bone?? I keep trying, but it won't let me past that point.

so how many codes did you people got last night after vmk closed?

i went a little far and got 230, took up five pages on word :rolleyes1

jazstar87 said:
so how many codes did you people got last night after vmk closed?

i went a little far and got 230, took up five pages on word :rolleyes1

do not type those in all in the same setting!!! VMK Staff have been warning members that have an outrageous number of codes being put in. They can tell how many you out in and what codes you used. And they know that people are using the bug...

VMK_KrazyLuke said:
do not type those in all in the same setting!!! VMK Staff have been warning members that have an outrageous number of codes being put in. They can tell how many you out in and what codes you used. And they know that people are using the bug...

If it is a bug then they need to fix it and not penalize people for using it. What do they honestly expect when the only way to obtain the cool costume is to enter in piles and piles of codes. They should have expected this as well as expected the obvious load this would put on the system.

Good grief. This isn't rocket science. This isn't a "new" thing that the world has never seen. It's a GAME. Capacity planning should be an integral part of their development work.

aeryn said:
If it is a bug then they need to fix it and not penalize people for using it. What do they honestly expect when the only way to obtain the cool costume is to enter in piles and piles of codes. They should have expected this as well as expected the obvious load this would put on the system.

Good grief. This isn't rocket science. This isn't a "new" thing that the world has never seen. It's a GAME. Capacity planning should be an integral part of their development work.

Exactly my thoughts, but they worked on it last night. (that is why the we could not get codes) and it obvisously did not work... so i do not know what to say.

aeryn said:

exactly! ::yes::

i don't that feel bad, they should have done test runs before they release things. remember the old saying think before you talk? They should have work out all the kinks before they have release it. it is their mistake...

As it turns out after going through the game many ways trying all options, I do not beleive it is a bug but rather a design flaw. The difference being they built it this way and it functions the way they wanted they just did not think it through, how many codes we would get and then enter.

At the end there is a right hand corner selection that goes back a screen on most pages including the award page. If you use this option it takes you back to the last sceen before the organ and you can also simply get the code this way. So they built it to easily get codes. I beleive the designers based the design on how the Narnia game fuctioned with VMK.

Here is the flaw, By not telling us the prize, we have to enter all the codes given, on narnia this was not the case. So designers built it to their perimeters thinking it was good but VMK people desided not to describe the prize which caused the overload. The game did not stop giving codes to fix the elledged bug but rather to slow down code input to avoid system failure. But we all gather the codes then enter them later because it is easier and works better that way. So no code on output did not result in no codes on the Input.

They May change the design to not dispense codes in that manner but I no longer think it was a bug as such.

has any body got the suit i have organs and poster chests and organs but no costume it does take piles of codes and i played since it started today no suit i hope they make in my opinion untradeable so nobody trys to pile them up for trade but they should make it as easy to get as the rest

this is the order of my items in how often i get them
i never got pirate suit like 1% ppl with the suit are so lucky
small chance for me poster 10%
monkey or chest both 25%
most likely organ 39%

Ok I know alot of you are selling your goodies for credits....I want those chests! I have some narnia Teleporters that I am willing to trade for chests. 1 set of Narnia Teleporters for 10 of the new chests! If the chests are still selling for 50 credits that's like paying 500 credits for a set of teleporters. I think this sounds fair. If you are interested in trading please pm me. I will be on and off line all day. If you don't want the teleporters for them and want to trade them for something else, let me know that too! Thanks!

aeryn said:
Capacity planning should be an integral part of their development work.
I would generally agree with you, but I think that when ANYTHING is released for the very first time on VMK, a lot of people will try to do it all at once, and their servers are usually brought to their knees.

If it were easy for them to dedicate extra capacity temporarily to the "new thing of the week", it would make sense for them to plan for the initial onslaught of players. But, within a week or so, or maybe even just a few days, I doubt that the new Pirate Collectibles game will be anywhere near as busy as it is now.

So, should they have dedicated 10x more capacity for just these few days? And then go through the work of taking it away again? Or, do what they seem to be doing now, which is just figure "Oh, let the players suffer for a few days; by next week, it'll be fine."

Remember when these each first came out:
- haunted mansion / ghosts game
- ice for pirates
- tomorrowland quests
Each of these was totally shut down when they first came out. And then it got better.

<shrug>

I predict it'll be fine in a week.

Adventuredaz said:
Here is the flaw, By not telling us the prize, we have to enter all the codes given, on narnia this was not the case. So designers built it to their perimeters thinking it was good but VMK people desided not to describe the prize which caused the overload. The game did not stop giving codes to fix the elledged bug but rather to slow down code input to avoid system failure. But we all gather the codes then enter them later because it is easier and works better that way. So no code on output did not result in no codes on the Input.

So another reason to not tell you what you get untill you enter it would be that you could not just trade or sell the code. It is alot easier for some of these people to trade codes or sell codes on ebay then to try and get the item then try to meet to exchange. I'm not saying this is the reason they made the change in there system just as a good result in my opinion. So they fixed this one little problem and created some more Bravo :)

Is it just me? :confused3

Does this game peg anybody else's CPU? While the game is running, even when idle, it is taking 95 to 100% of the CPU Usage in Task Manager. I cannot run anything else while this game is running. :badpc: I can run other macromedia games without this problem.

Am I the only one? Any geeks with ideas? :teacher:

--Cement

JeanJoe said:
I would generally agree with you, but I think that when ANYTHING is released for the very first time on VMK, a lot of people will try to do it all at once, and their servers are usually brought to their knees.

If it were easy for them to dedicate extra capacity temporarily to the "new thing of the week", it would make sense for them to plan for the initial onslaught of players. But, within a week or so, or maybe even just a few days, I doubt that the new Pirate Collectibles game will be anywhere near as busy as it is now.

So, should they have dedicated 10x more capacity for just these few days? And then go through the work of taking it away again? Or, do what they seem to be doing now, which is just figure "Oh, let the players suffer for a few days; by next week, it'll be fine."

Remember when these each first came out:
- haunted mansion / ghosts game
- ice for pirates
- tomorrowland quests
Each of these was totally shut down when they first came out. And then it got better.

<shrug>

I predict it'll be fine in a week.

Agreed, in a week or so, it'll be fine. However, the purpose of load balancers (and I *know* Disney has these) is to be able to handle surges in load, as when the add new things. I don't think the issue is with the disney.com servers (as that is where the pirate game is actually running) I believe it is with the "code generation/validation" servers. Last night there was a direct corrolation in entering codes in the game and receiving them from the pirates game. If you could do one, you could do the other, but generally if you received the connection error when trying to generate a pirate code, you also could not enter codes into the game.

Now, it would not be difficult to use a load balancer to add in an extra box to do code generation/validation during high peak times (such as the week after a new game was introduced). Take the server out of rotation (and turn it back into a hot standby or whatever) when the peak times were over. This is *basic* capacity management. It's not something new.

This would do wonders for the player relations side of Disney. Just think, we'd have to find something else to complain about.

aeryn said:
Now, it would not be difficult to use a load balancer to add in an extra box to do code generation/validation during high peak times (such as the week after a new game was introduced). Take the server out of rotation (and turn it back into a hot standby or whatever) when the peak times were over. This is *basic* capacity management. It's not something new.

This would do wonders for the player relations side of Disney. Just think, we'd have to find something else to complain about.

Yep, I agree with you totally.

If it's not too arduous for them, it'd be great if they had extra compute power available at the introduction of "new" games / areas / rooms / quests, and then cycle them out when the "load" decreased.

Oh well -- more wishful thinking.

I guess my computer was having problems with the game yesterday but now it works :-). yay! now I actrually understand the game..before world map, plunder or any of the items weren't showing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter