• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Official August 2020 thread ***

Jealous of you guys who got good prices for Southwest flights today. Not so much for us. We are going August 6-15, so we already had our outbound flights, which weren't too great of a price either. Oh well I'll keep checking to see if they go down. Luckily we did still have enough points to cover all 5 flights, but I really didn't want to use that many points.

I feel very bad for all those affected by the closures!

I also feel a bit guilty that I'm really hoping they don't reschedule for August

I feel very bad for all those affected by the closures!

I also feel a bit guilty that I'm really hoping they don't reschedule for August
I feel the same. I also feel guilty hoping that they don't reschedule to the week we are going. I keep telling myself, it's better to have more crowds because precautions were taken to keeps people safe and well than this virus to get even more prevalent.

We had to cancel our March trip. :sad1: We now have a huge amount of credit with Frontier, however the tickets for our August trip are $700 more than if we purchased with SW and we would still have to pay $300 out of pocket because our 'credit' with Frontier doesn't cover the costs of those flights! Stupid!

Had a big multi-family Spring Break trip planned that just got cancelled. The big trip will have to wait another year, but it looks like my immediate family will be making a quick “bonus” trip in August.

Can any August visitors give me the heads up on what early August is like: crowds, weather, etc - especially compared to March, which is what I’m more familiar with.

Looking forward to it after a fairly stressful last few weeks!

Had a big multi-family Spring Break trip planned that just got cancelled. The big trip will have to wait another year, but it looks like my immediate family will be making a quick “bonus” trip in August.

Can any August visitors give me the heads up on what early August is like: crowds, weather, etc - especially compared to March, which is what I’m more familiar with.

Looking forward to it after a fairly stressful last few weeks!

We always travel to Florida in the summer. Weather is HOT (90+Fahrenheit and humid! There will always be a mid day shower, but it will not cool anything off, just continue the humidity. Indoor shows and breaks to the resort/pool are your friend during mid-day hours. Or walking through the stores to cool off.
Crowds, now that depends on when you go and many change since people are having to re-book vacations. According to Touring Plans, they range on average from 3-6 on a 1-10 rating. 1 being the lowest.

Hope that helps. :)

Anybody else have their kids off school? I'm in Michigan and schools are closed for the next 3 weeks. The week after that is spring break so not sure what will happen there. Went to pick up a few things at the grocery store and there is no toilet paper, Kleenex, bread, water, or milk. Lots of other things are really low. My hours just got adjusted at work, too. I work Monday Tuesday and Friday. Will be only Monday and Friday for the next three weeks.

My college kid is currently home for spring break and his school has extended the break until 3/23. We lice in NYC, so my HS senior is still going too school. He was told to empty out his locker, we shall see. So far, the NYC Board of Education has only closed a few schools that had a confirmed case of Coronavirus. NYC public school is also a babysitting service, which is why they aren't closing even when they are telling us to keep 'social distancing'

I read that University of Michigan canceled graduation!

Anybody else have their kids off school? I'm in Michigan and schools are closed for the next 3 weeks. The week after that is spring break so not sure what will happen there. Went to pick up a few things at the grocery store and there is no toilet paper, Kleenex, bread, water, or milk. Lots of other things are really low. My hours just got adjusted at work, too. I work Monday Tuesday and Friday. Will be only Monday and Friday for the next three weeks.
Our schools just closed in my town in MA. Thank god my brother in law is working from home anyways and lives in our town. So he volunteered to take our daughter. Im not sure what families are going to do if they can't stay home. The stores were also crazy here. I really hope this all passes quickly.

@mamamelody2 Wisconsin Gov. Evers ordered all schools statewide K-12 to close starting March 18th with estimated reopening April 6th. Most school districts in our area have issued closing starting next week Monday. We are moving to virtual learning. I emailed our principal and told him we might as well tack on three weeks of school to the end of the year because realistically the type of education they are going to receive from me is not as good as what they get from school.

I live in New Jersey.

My college daughter is on spring break, PA school. She was told to stay home until the end of March; they will have on-line classes and decide about the rest of the semester later. The residence halls will be closed, they can pick up some stuff this weekend, but they don't have to move all of their stuff out.

My high school sons have school as usual on Monday 3/16, on a day by day basis until the governor or county closes the schools which is expected. They will have on-line classes. But, even when the schools close, they will still provide breakfast and lunch every day for the kids that are on the free/reduced meals programs.

My husband was told to work from home next week.

One of my sisters works in a PA public school district; no school next week. My other sister works in a CT private school district; no school until April, but was told it will probably be longer.

Reactions: rlk
First off, let me say sorry for the slow update here. Things have been a bit crazy, well everywhere I guess, but here in NY for me.

My husband and I will be our first 'adults only' trip!

BWV 8/30-9/3 and BC 9/3-9/8

Roll Call has been updated. Happy planning!

Yup, school here in my corner of NY has been closed for the next week, with a decision as to the week after that to be made sometime this week. Stores are out of all the above things, as well as pretty much anything that looks like soap or any kind of cleaning supply.

Hang in there folks, wash your hands properly, try to get out of the habit of touching your face, and we will all be back to normal soon I hope!

Reactions: rlk
NYC mayor said he will not close schools, instead will start"social distancing" students. How does that happen in some high schools with 4,000 students or when theyuse public transportation to commute to school? My son's high school is in the Bronx, we live in Manhattan, the only way to get there is by subway or private bus(packed with 40 other students.

I live in New Jersey.

My college daughter is on spring break, PA school. She was told to stay home until the end of March; they will have on-line classes and decide about the rest of the semester later. The residence halls will be closed, they can pick up some stuff this weekend, but they don't have to move all of their stuff out.

My high school sons have school as usual on Monday 3/16, on a day by day basis until the governor or county closes the schools which is expected. They will have on-line classes. But, even when the schools close, they will still provide breakfast and lunch every day for the kids that are on the free/reduced meals programs.

My husband was told to work from home next week.

One of my sisters works in a PA public school district; no school next week. My other sister works in a CT private school district; no school until April, but was told it will probably be longer.

My oldest son goes to a PA school. What you posted is exactly what his school is doing. We need to drive up on Sunday so that he can retrieve whatever he needs for remote learning starting 3/23.

I am in Ohio. Schools are closed for 3 weeks. I am now working from home and DH normally works from home. Kids were told to to take there stuff home from there lockers. The school has moved to on-line now starting Monday. Our district has put together a food drive and book drive to help families as well.

NYC public schools are still open, but the principal of my son's school sent out an email yesterday with a workaround that said:

We have decided that, from Tuesday, March 17, until Monday, April 20 (the end of spring vacation), the following policies will apply in all of our classes:

In-person examinations and quizzes are suspended.

· Required in-class group and individual presentations are suspended.

· All assignments, projects, presentations, and take-home examinations may be submitted electronically.

NYC public schools are still open, but the principal of my son's school sent out an email yesterday with a workaround that said:

We have decided that, from Tuesday, March 17, until Monday, April 20 (the end of spring vacation), the following policies will apply in all of our classes:

In-person examinations and quizzes are suspended.

· Required in-class group and individual presentations are suspended.

· All assignments, projects, presentations, and take-home examinations may be submitted electronically.
Kudos to that principal. I'm a bit farther North than you are. As far as I know, all the schools in all of our surrounding counties are closed at the very least for one week, most for 2 or 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter