Official Wine & Dine 2018

Just as a reminder, inside info told that rD abandoned night races due to insurance issues regarding weather. Given how volatile weather has been since then, I have a hard time believing that has changed.

Yeah if this is true I have a hard time believing it will change to a night race. I'm inclined to think it's something more than an IT issue though. Aren't the registrations passed through Active? Both the DVC and AP early access pages aren't working and they haven't been updated from Star Wars.

I wouldn't think course certification issues would delay it. Based on the certified course maps the Marathon course for this year was certified in July well after registration had opened.

Is there construction that could be problematic for it?

So, here’s my theory, for what it’s worth... probably not even a whole 2 cents.

I think that the delay might actually be honest to goodness IT related this time.

:duck:

I know! I know! I know runDisney lost all credibility and garnered a permanent side eye from many based on their handling of Light Side.

I’ve seen where quite a few APs have been unable to access the site and it seems some have contacted Disney about it, so maybe they are really trying to fix it so everyone with valid access can get to it for early registration. (Yes, I realize how naive that sounds, especially to those who were in Light Side Limbo for months)

Travel agents have already booked packages for the original dates given, and some are still taking orders for packages for those dates. I can’t remember if that happened with Light Side or not.

It does seem like they’ve scaled back on the number of bibs they’ve allotted to TAs for this weekend. Admittedly, I’m new here, so I can’t be sure about that, either.

I hope it really just is a simple IT issue and both registrations open as now planned on Monday and Tuesday so everyone can get the races they want.

So, here’s my theory, for what it’s worth... probably not even a whole 2 cents.

I think that the delay might actually be honest to goodness IT related this time.

:duck:

I know! I know! I know runDisney lost all credibility and garnered a permanent side eye from many based on their handling of Light Side.

I’ve seen where quite a few APs have been unable to access the site and it seems some have contacted Disney about it, so maybe they are really trying to fix it so everyone with valid access can get to it for early registration. (Yes, I realize how naive that sounds, especially to those who were in Light Side Limbo for months)

Travel agents have already booked packages for the original dates given, and some are still taking orders for packages for those dates. I can’t remember if that happened with Light Side or not.

It does seem like they’ve scaled back on the number of bibs they’ve allotted to TAs for this weekend. Admittedly, I’m new here, so I can’t be sure about that, either.

I hope it really just is a simple IT issue and both registrations open as now planned on Monday and Tuesday so everyone can get the races they want.
Light Side didn’t have TA packages I believe but did have people registered through the early registration links sent out.

ok, so first time doing W&D. In hearing about an after party (for which we are paying for a $15 gift card), I'm assuming one can buy admissions for those who stood out in those early morning hours to cheer their runner on? That of course is a separate ticket to buy on registration day? And what the heck is the gift card for?o_O

I’m not sold on them cancelling but I expect changes to the weekend.
I get that. Delays last time were correlated with the switch from night to day race.

Just wondering why some mentioned it potentially being canceled — no indication of that, right?

ok, so first time doing W&D. In hearing about an after party (for which we are paying for a $15 gift card), I'm assuming one can buy admissions for those who stood out in those early morning hours to cheer their runner on? That of course is a separate ticket to buy on registration day? And what the heck is the gift card for?o_O

The gift card and the post race party are two unrelated things. Half marathoners get access to the Park as part of the $199 fee. Guests can buy admission, although I forget how much it cost ($79??). The gift card has no real net benefit and I wish Disney would just charge $15 less and skip the card. The card is supposed to be sent ahead of time but the last two years I have not received it and had to wait in a medium sized line (20 minutes) at the Expo to get one.

Half-marathon and Challenge registrations include access to the party in EP after the park closes, as well as a $15 gift card runners can spend anywhere in WDW. The idea behind the gift card is to use it to buy items at the Food & Wine Fest, as those booths are open for the party, but it can be used anywhere that accepts Disney gift cards as payment. Anyone else can purchase a party ticket on its own for $84, no gift card included.

Light Side is fresh in people's memories.
Related to DL construction ostensibly, no? There’s a lot more room to maneuver in WDW and they haven’t canceled any races yet due to construction, right?

Not saying it isn’t possible — in my mind, ANYTHING is with Disney! Just saying there’s no real indication that they’d be canceling.

The card is supposed to be sent ahead of time but the last two years I have not received it and had to wait in a medium sized line (20 minutes) at the Expo to get one.
Just to clarify, the gift card has been electronic the last couple years, and was sent via email. Anyone who didn't receive it could get it in person at the expo.

Related to DL construction ostensibly, no? There’s a lot more room to maneuver in WDW and they haven’t canceled any races yet due to construction, right?

Not saying it isn’t possible — in my mind, ANYTHING is with Disney! Just saying there’s no real indication that they’d be canceling.

The construction information only came out towards the end of the delay. I was someone that had early registered for 2018 whose money was held up for months on end. After the delay in registration, we held off on hotel/airfare but I know other people that didn't and thus lost money or used vacation days that could have been allocated elsewhere. I also don't think construction was the only issue with Disneyland. I think it was internal politics plus relationships with the city. Construction became the easy reason to deflect that.

Yes, there is more room in WDW for moving around construction.

I doubt this race is being cancelled though - probably IT issues or switching back to a night race.

Man I wish this would move back to a night race. Doing the race and party immediately after is way better than the current set up. Morning races are also a dime a dozen, having the race at night was at lest different and cool. I highly doubt the change was insurance related, if that was the case it never would have been a night race.

That being said I really don't think it will be moved back to a night race. RunDisney just isn't that creative any longer.

While everyone trains to get up early for the races, I'm going to need to train myself to stay up late if F&W returns to a night race :rotfl:

Man I wish this would move back to a night race. Doing the race and party immediately after is way better than the current set up. Morning races are also a dime a dozen, having the race at night was at lest different and cool. I highly doubt the change was insurance related, if that was the case it never would have been a night race.

That being said I really don't think it will be moved back to a night race. RunDisney just isn't that creative any longer.

I don't think it has anything to do with being creative. It's all about the $$$. With the night race they were limited to the 5k & half marathon. Shifting to a morning race allowed them to add the 10k with several thousand new entry slots with the associated increase in race fee revenue. That also allowed the after party to be held at a more conventional time slot which cuts down immensely on additional staffing costs and/or overtime for the park.

While I enjoyed ToT as a night race, I can’t understand wanting to hang out and eat without showering after a half marathon... and wait in food queues with others who have done the same... :crazy2:

I'm just hoping it stays a morning race because it's supposed to be an A race for me. If they change it to a night race I'll have to opt out. I don't think they will, but you never know.

I don't think it has anything to do with being creative. It's all about the $$$. With the night race they were limited to the 5k & half marathon. Shifting to a morning race allowed them to add the 10k with several thousand new entry slots with the associated increase in race fee revenue. That also allowed the after party to be held at a more conventional time slot which cuts down immensely on additional staffing costs and/or overtime for the park.

Besides the additional revenue from the thousands of 10K and Challenge entries, the 3 morning race format means adding a hotel night and the Sunday night after party usually means adding a 4th night. So what went from literally a weekend where I didn't have to take time off of work and two nights worth of hotels turns into two days off work and 4 nights in hotels for my run-cation weekend. I have a feeling I am skipping the 5K this year and possibly the after party. My vacation time can be used on other trips for more satisfaction.

I can understand moving the party to an earlier time (being at Epcot until 4am was wicked cool though...). And I agree that I don't like being a sweaty mess in public, but I feel that starting the party 12ish hours after finishing the race loses a lot of the celebratory tone. To me it seems to be morphing into a Food & Wine Festival private event that the half marathon and challenge runners get a ticket to because their race is themed around food and wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter