OHANA Opens 7/9 - AWAITING REVIEWS :|

The reactions here acting like people's lives were ruined over cheap noodles was a massive overreaction. People were certainly free to complain, but shouting into the void a message board is never a productive way to create change. I'm not sure how I was wrong about anything. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but there are more important things in life to get my emotional energy than a side dish at a Disney World restaurant.

I‘d say venting frustration on a forum thread dedicated specifically to Ohana with other people who also enjoyed the restaurant is fine way to react. Those reactions obviously spread and helped to create a positive change.

Given your feelings about emotional energy, I still don’t follow why you continue to jump in these threads to criticize others for their reactions while pretending that you are above it all. Seems like a waste of energy….

The reactions here acting like people's lives were ruined over cheap noodles was a massive overreaction. People were certainly free to complain, but shouting into the void a message board is never a productive way to create change. I'm not sure how I was wrong about anything. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but there are more important things in life to get my emotional energy than a side dish at a Disney World restaurant.

Not saying who is right or wrong, but I do know for a fact that the Disboards are read by some of the decision makers at Disney. Been told that by a number of CMs over the years, so its possible that the complaints/comments are read.

I'm so conflicted about this. We have a dinner reservation. I eat vegetarian, my kids eat chicken and lo mein, my husband eats chicken and steak. I can't see us each eating 55.00 worth of food. No one will eat the shrimp, not sure if my husband eats kilbasa.

I'm wondering if we are better off at another restaurant.

Sounds like a no-brainer. Why not go someplace where you can all enjoy dinner - and probably for a lot less $$$

Just had dinner 'Ohana and honestly thought overall it was still a great meal. We've been a whole bunch as it's one of our favorite meals and it's rare that it was ALWAYS firing on all cylinders. So here's how felt about this one particular meal:

Bread - The new biscuits were okay at best. They felt very... homemade. I thought the Coconut Papaya Scones were better than the cheese biscuits but did not try the honey butter for either of them.
Salad - REALLY good. I really enjoyed the almond brittle on it and i like that it comes with the citrus dressing on the side so you can add as much as you want. We had to ask for more of it.
Wings - Always one of our favorite parts of the meal and these were delicious as well.
Roasted Chicken - I thought the chicken had GREAT flavor, especially with the chimichurri topping. Others felt the flavor was a bit mild following the wings.
Pork Dumplings - Decent but not that flavorful? Not as good as I remember and the chili garlic sauce was nowhere to be found.
Kielbasa Sausage - Really good.
Noodles - GOOD but not like we remember. A little wet which just meant it had MORE of the flavor we remembered but we actually prefer them a bit drier.
Teriyaki Beef - Really inconsistent in the cooking. Some pieces were really tough and chewy. Others were cooked perfectly. Just depends on what you get.
Broccolini - No one else really cared for it but I do like some greens with my meal.
Island Shrimp Casserole - I didn't think it was that bad? lol :ducks: I mean I can rarely get mad at anything that has breadcrumbs, cheese, and potatoes.. add some shrimp? Still fine by me. I could do with or without it but it's not the offense to my palate that others are saying it is.
Bread Pudding - Always perfection.

We were lucky and actually did get a fantastic view of the fireworks and get this.. we had a 9:30 reservation but were sat at 9:15pm right as they started. When does that happen? NEVER. So we had to trek back up for our table as we were planning on watching them outside.

Overall, we would return but too full to think about that now.

Just had dinner 'Ohana and honestly thought overall it was still a great meal. We've been a whole bunch as it's one of our favorite meals and it's rare that it was ALWAYS firing on all cylinders. So here's how felt about this one particular meal:

Bread - The new biscuits were okay at best. They felt very... homemade. I thought the Coconut Papaya Scones were better than the cheese biscuits but did not try the honey butter for either of them.
Salad - REALLY good. I really enjoyed the almond brittle on it and i like that it comes with the citrus dressing on the side so you can add as much as you want. We had to ask for more of it.
Wings - Always one of our favorite parts of the meal and these were delicious as well.
Roasted Chicken - I thought the chicken had GREAT flavor, especially with the chimichurri topping. Others felt the flavor was a bit mild following the wings.
Pork Dumplings - Decent but not that flavorful? Not as good as I remember and the chili garlic sauce was nowhere to be found.
Kielbasa Sausage - Really good.
Noodles - GOOD but not like we remember. A little wet which just meant it had MORE of the flavor we remembered but we actually prefer them a bit drier.
Teriyaki Beef - Really inconsistent in the cooking. Some pieces were really tough and chewy. Others were cooked perfectly. Just depends on what you get.
Broccolini - No one else really cared for it but I do like some greens with my meal.
Island Shrimp Casserole - I didn't think it was that bad? lol :ducks: I mean I can rarely get mad at anything that has breadcrumbs, cheese, and potatoes.. add some shrimp? Still fine by me. I could do with or without it but it's not the offense to my palate that others are saying it is.
Bread Pudding - Always perfection.

We were lucky and actually did get a fantastic view of the fireworks and get this.. we had a 9:30 reservation but were sat at 9:15pm right as they started. When does that happen? NEVER. So we had to trek back up for our table as we were planning on watching them outside.

Overall, we would return but too full to think about that now.

Thanks for the detailed review!

I appreciate all your reviews. We have a reservation for late August and may cancel it. If nothing changes by then, I’m 99% sure we won’t be eating there. We are not fans of sausage/kielbasa or roasted chicken on the bone - though we will eat wings, go figure! Bring back the skewers, I know it’s wishful thinking…

Honestly, for the price (and yes, I understand that its Disney) its not an overreaction at all - Its not just the Shrimp Casserole--- the skewers are gone, its not like the Casserole is a side dish- Its supposed to be a main part of the meal. As far as the restaurant being booked solid-- thats definitely going to change if the menu doesnt change some. A number of ppl, just on these boards, have been cancelling. I needed to switch a time for our reservation, and in the last two days, had a choice of an 8:35PM, and a 5:35PM.
It’s true. I booked my reservations based on prior experiences but we’ve made other plans. I am still holding my reservations but at this point, I am 99% sure I am canceling. We are going to Be Our Guest instead. It’s $7 more a person ($62 for adults, I forget the cost for kids) in a highly themed environment. CRT is the same price right now. Disney is charging $55 for adults and $33 for kids for Ohana and there is nothing to justify that price point. To put it in perspective, Liberty Tree Tavern is also an all you care to eat experience with no characters and is $39 for adults (I forget the cost for kids). Whispering Canyon is $33 or $34 for adults for the all you can eat skillets.

thank you for the review on Ohana.. always was our favorite.. and we will go back in a few weeks .. my favorite part was always the pot stickers and the wings.. and sometimes the meat.. salad also.. and then the bread pudding.. never liked bread pudding UNTIL that meal quite a few years ago .. and fell in love with theirs.. so some will like Ohana and some wont.. I love Disney and the atmosphere there.. so we will go.. to each their own.. as the saying goes

It’s true. I booked my reservations based on prior experiences but we’ve made other plans. I am still holding my reservations but at this point, I am 99% sure I am canceling. We are going to Be Our Guest instead. It’s $7 more a person ($62 for adults, I forget the cost for kids) in a highly themed environment. CRT is the same price right now. Disney is charging $55 for adults and $33 for kids for Ohana and there is nothing to justify that price point. To put it in perspective, Liberty Tree Tavern is also an all you care to eat experience with no characters and is $39 for adults (I forget the cost for kids). Whispering Canyon is $33 or $34 for adults for the all you can eat skillets.

You know I’ve stayed at the Lodge a few times but never tried Whispering Canyon. Probably a miss on my part, as I’ve heard pretty solid reviews.

I used to get to the old Artist Point for the Buffalo 3 ways and then the Territory Lounge was always a relaxing way to end the day!

You know I’ve stayed at the Lodge a few times but never tried Whispering Canyon. Probably a miss on my part, as I’ve heard pretty solid reviews.

I used to get to the old Artist Point for the Buffalo 3 ways and then the Territory Lounge was always a relaxing way to end the day!

I always try to book a dinner and a breakfast, usually I prefer the breakfast a lot more but the dinner skillets were really nice.

Agree with this. There’s also Kona for a lot less if you want a similar vibe + to see the Poly.

Speaking of which--- seems like "Kona" released some tables for dinner--- Couldn't find anything yesterday, but today, almost every day of our trip had a time slot available--- just got an 7:30PM dinner for 7/20- I know you cant see the fireworks from "Kona", but at least we will be at the Poly. Assuming beach area open for viewing ?

They killed 'Ohana 🤮

Agree with this. There’s also Kona for a lot less if you want a similar vibe + to see the Poly.

Apologies if this is a stupid question-- I know Poly was closed for reno, but all looks to be fine now, with the exception of the monorail - Was stalking and was just able to get a dinner reservation for "Kona" for a 7:45PM dinner, which should lead right into
"HEA" at 9:15. Recommendations for beach area? I know the music is not piped in, but I remember the beach viewing being really special. Thoughts? Thanks much !!!

Oh, and is bus service currently available to/from MK to Poly?

Thanks again !!

Apologies if this is a stupid question-- I know Poly was closed for reno, but all looks to be fine now, with the exception of the monorail - Was stalking and was just able to get a dinner reservation for "Kona" for a 7:45PM dinner, which should lead right into
"HEA" at 9:15. Recommendations for beach area? I know the music is not piped in, but I remember the beach viewing being really special. Thoughts? Thanks much !!!

Oh, and is bus service currently available to/from MK to Poly?

Thanks again !!

You should be fine to use the beach area, I think it’s only restricted during very busy times. Grab a dole whip and enjoy! If the path is complete, the Grand also has a great view by the Grill - and they had always piped in the music.

Looking for more breakfast reports for Ohana. I’m wondering if bacon was available. I know it’s not on the menu but it wasn’t before either and you could still request it. 🥓 🥓

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter