• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
My zip code has only one case, so far. It's a family member of someone who lives in our neighborhood. I live in a 4000-home community. I just pray it doesn't spread through here.

The Kona Ice truck came through the neighborhood today. Parents were sending their kids out to get snow cones. It just seems so dumb to me to allow that.

That map only shows the confirmed cases. So, it's not accurate. As BlueStarryHat said, they got rid of testing everyone and will only test dire cases that meet the criteria. So, a lot more people have it, but aren't critical, needing to go to the hospital. Then there's the 25% of people who are asymptomatic walking around infecting people.

Be careful. Stay safe.

Last edited:
A 70 year old man passed away from it yesterday a street over from me. I didn’t know him but I have a friend on that street that did. His wife is quarantined in her house alone. I heard of another man in town that passed in the last week but not sure if it was the same person.

Just as an update...the mother died this morning. Her children and her husband unable to be there with her.

Takes your breath away to read that. Just heartbreaking.

I said to my husband the other day that I fear the psychological effects of exactly that piece of this pandemic will echo through society for decades, possibly even generations to come. Losing someone is obviously tremendously painful. Suffering the loss under these kinds of restricted contact will ratchet up the collateral damage in a way that is likely to echo through our future.

Here in NYC, they are dying younger partly because there are not enough ventilators. A news reporter found out here is a new binding rule for EMS/paramedics & private ambulance companies: that if they get to a residence and the patient has no pulse or is in cadiac arrest, they are not to revive them. They cannot be saved as there are no ventilators. NO CPR is to be performed as they think the Coronavirus could be spread that way to the EMS team as they do chest compressions and force the person to exhale. A third of our EMS workers and hospital healthcare workers are already out sick with the Coronavirus and we're just at the start of this. They are also not to transport them to the hospital which is already overtaxed. It's up to the city to figure out how to pick up the bodies.

In the hospitals now, as there are not enough ventilators, the best they can do is tell someone that they are going to induce a coma and put them on oxygen (and HOPE the patient survives on his own.) They don't have anything else they can do without a ventilator. There have been news stories by family members, where the patient knew they would likely not make it out of the coma and they insisted on talking to their families one more time, and the healthcare workers waited for them to finish the call. And yes, those patients died. Patients, with no underlying conditions, and younger, that might have had a long, successful life afterward, if they only had the help of a ventilator to get through it. :( Now the hospitals are short on oxygen.

When a patient is on a ventilator, they are on an average of 20 days. The incubation period for the Coronavirus is generally 5-14 days. So they are always behind having enough ventilators for everyone. "Patient Zero," the one who unfortunately started it all here in NYS, in New Rochelle, finally got out of the hospital a couple days ago. So he was in critical condition for a month.

I don't know if this made the national news. We now have refrigerated morgue trucks. They are the 18 wheelers with a refrigerated trailer on the back. Bodies are being fork-lifted into them. I guess it's partly because they want as few people touching them as possible. All the guys doing the work are wearing PPE up the wazoo. You can Google for the horrifying photos. Fema is sending 87 more morgue trucks. :( Some official said NYC will become the next "Italy," while another area, possibly Florida or New Orleans is the next "New York."

I'm worried about some of the smaller cities without a lot of ventilators. There are still too many asymptomatic & pre-symptomatic people walking around, infecting others. And a number of people may show up at the hospital at the same time.
This is terrifying.

Here in NYC, they are dying younger partly because there are not enough ventilators. A news reporter found out here is a new binding rule for EMS/paramedics & private ambulance companies: that if they get to a residence and the patient has no pulse or is in cadiac arrest, they are not to revive them. They cannot be saved as there are no ventilators. NO CPR is to be performed as they think the Coronavirus could be spread that way to the EMS team as they do chest compressions and force the person to exhale. A third of our EMS workers and hospital healthcare workers are already out sick with the Coronavirus and we're just at the start of this. They are also not to transport them to the hospital which is already overtaxed. It's up to the city to figure out how to pick up the bodies.

In the hospitals now, as there are not enough ventilators, the best they can do is tell someone that they are going to induce a coma and put them on oxygen (and HOPE the patient survives on his own.) They don't have anything else they can do without a ventilator. There have been news stories by family members, where the patient knew they would likely not make it out of the coma and they insisted on talking to their families one more time, and the healthcare workers waited for them to finish the call. And yes, those patients died. Patients, with no underlying conditions, and younger, that might have had a long, successful life afterward, if they only had the help of a ventilator to get through it. :( Now the hospitals are short on oxygen.

When a patient is on a ventilator, they are on an average of 20 days. The incubation period for the Coronavirus is generally 5-14 days. So they are always behind having enough ventilators for everyone. "Patient Zero," the one who unfortunately started it all here in NYS, in New Rochelle, finally got out of the hospital a couple days ago. So he was in critical condition for a month.

I don't know if this made the national news. We now have refrigerated morgue trucks. They are the 18 wheelers with a refrigerated trailer on the back. Bodies are being fork-lifted into them. I guess it's partly because they want as few people touching them as possible. All the guys doing the work are wearing PPE up the wazoo. You can Google for the horrifying photos. Fema is sending 87 more morgue trucks. :( Some official said NYC will become the next "Italy," while another area, possibly Florida or New Orleans is the next "New York."

I'm worried about some of the smaller cities without a lot of ventilators. There are still too many asymptomatic & pre-symptomatic people walking around, infecting others. And a number of people may show up at the hospital at the same time.
This is so horrific 😢

This is so horrific 😢
Attention sarcasm alert:
But don't you see how we don't stop society for the flu or cancer or car wrecks. We've got to get back to normal. We can't be shut down this long.

Yeah, I just don't see how life can be normal until this horrific virus is close to being eradicated. The way you die a horrific death alone...

Attention sarcasm alert:
But don't you see how we don't stop society for the flu or cancer or car wrecks.
But don’t you see how only one of those is even preventable by social distancing. A lot of the same advice for COVID is also given during flu season. Wash your hands. Stay home if you’re sick. Plus the fact that COVID is ten times more deadly.

But don’t you see how only one of those is even preventable by social distancing. A lot of the same advice for COVID is also given during flu season. Wash your hands. Stay home if you’re sick. Plus the fact that COVID is ten times more deadly.
Maybe we are talking past each other. I do not like those arguments. I absolutely agree with you. The COVID is much more deadly and debilitating. But people keep saying that we don't take precautions for all of those deaths. I was trying to say that is why we ARE taking these extreme precautions. Hard to hear tone and meaning sometimes. It is why I put sarcasm in there. To show I don't believe that.

I saw Chris Cuomo talking about the strange hallucinations he's been having because of his fever since coming down with COVID-19. I thought it was only me because I have a mental illness. Three or four nights ago (or longer, I'm losing track of the days) when my fever was up over 103 I thought a person wearing a blue hazmat suit was standing over in the corner of my room waiting to take me away. I thought I was throwing things at him, but the next morning everything was in its place.

Today and this evening I haven't taken any Tylenol and my fever is down to 100.3. My sides and legs still ache very badly, but my doctor didn't want me to take it so he can see where I am fever-wise. I am still chilled to the bone, but not shivering anymore. I feel like the heat's been turned off in Winter. I'm kind of scared because I'm afraid that getting better means I'll take a turn for the worse but I'm trying to occupy myself to get my mind off it.

I saw Chris Cuomo talking about the strange hallucinations he's been having because of his fever since coming down with COVID-19. I thought it was only me because I have a mental illness. Three or four nights ago (or longer, I'm losing track of the days) when my fever was up over 103 I thought a person wearing a blue hazmat suit was standing over in the corner of my room waiting to take me away. I thought I was throwing things at him, but the next morning everything was in its place.

Today and this evening I haven't taken any Tylenol and my fever is down to 100.3. My sides and legs still ache very badly, but my doctor didn't want me to take it so he can see where I am fever-wise. I am still chilled to the bone, but not shivering anymore. I feel like the heat's been turned off in Winter. I'm kind of scared because I'm afraid that getting better means I'll take a turn for the worse but I'm trying to occupy myself to get my mind off it.

I meant to reply sooner, and I apologize. I worry for you. I hope you are on the mend, how is your breathing ? I hope you have what you need and are eating and hydrating. ❤️

I meant to reply sooner, and I apologize. I worry for you. I hope you are on the mend, how is your breathing ? I hope you have what you need and are eating and hydrating. ❤

Please don't apologize! :hug:

My breathing is good, as it has been since this all started. I was only eating crackers and chicken broth because I still can't taste a thing but today I had a bowl of mashed potatoes and a banana. It's hard to feel like eating when you can't taste or smell, but I'm trying to eat more and more variety. My aunt swears that tomorrow she's going out to find a steak for me because I need the good old fashioned red meat. I'm not so sure about that, but if she makes one I'll eat it if I can. I'm taking in much more water and also Pedialyte, so I'm hydrating but still dehydrated. Not as bad, though. I don't feel dizzy anymore, still lightheaded, though.

Thanks so much to you Mommasita, and to all the other Disers who are concerned about me and asking after me. It touches my heart.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/outpourin...y-struggling-in-their-battle-against-covid-19
I guess through distant connections on Facebook, and the fact that both husband and wife are nurses, one of our local news stations did a short segment on a friend of mine who got COVID-19. He's still in the ICU but very very slowly improving.

I feel so bad for this bus driver's family from MI.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-of-covid-19-after-calling-out-coughing-rider

It really sucks to see people still out there not caring about the situation or arguing about how their personal freedom is being taken away. :sad2: A few of the personalities on Fox News isn't helping either.

My breathing is good, as it has been since this all started. I was only eating crackers and chicken broth because I still can't taste a thing but today I had a bowl of mashed potatoes and a banana. It's hard to feel like eating when you can't taste or smell, but I'm trying to eat more and more variety. My aunt swears that tomorrow she's going out to find a steak for me because I need the good old fashioned red meat. I'm not so sure about that, but if she makes one I'll eat it if I can. I'm taking in much more water and also Pedialyte, so I'm hydrating but still dehydrated. Not as bad, though. I don't feel dizzy anymore, still lightheaded, though.

Thanks so much to you Mommasita, and to all the other Disers who are concerned about me and asking after me. It touches my heart.

Hang in there. It sounds like you’re seeing small improvement so that’s a good thing.

I am still chilled to the bone, but not shivering anymore. I feel like the heat's been turned off in Winter.

George Stepanopolis from GMA, his wife has it. Her tip is to take a LOT of hot baths. She said it helps with the chills. I hope you feel better soon. :(

I hope you feel better each day. STAY hydrated. I would eat the steak, even if you can only handle a bit, I’m glad to hear about your Aunt. 😍

Three neighbors were/are hospitalized. One is still in the ICU. Oone was in the ICU, stepped down and was discharged to home. One was hospitalized but never in the ICU. Two more were diagnosed and got through it at home.

From what the one guy (not hospitalize) told me, it’s like the flu - on steroids with a PCP chaser. It’s serious! Keep you distance from everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter