OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
George Stepanopolis from GMA, his wife has it. Her tip is to take a LOT of hot baths. She said it helps with the chills. I hope you feel better soon. :(

Thanks for the tip :cutie:
No tub, only a shower in my isolation space-I'll see if I can take a hot shower tomorrow. The problem is standing up long enough because I feel like my legs are made of particularly painful jelly. I can't even remember what day I last showered, must have been the morning before the day I got sick. So I have to say I last showered at the end of March, hahaha...God, I must stink so bad, it's a good thing I'm quarantined.

No tub, only a shower in my isolation space-I'll see if I can take a hot shower tomorrow. The problem is standing up long enough because I feel like my legs are made of particularly painful jelly.

Just scrunch down in the shower then. As long as your head is out of the water stream. We also don't want you falling over in the shower. :crazy2:

I am still chilled to the bone, but not shivering anymore. I feel like the heat's been turned off in Winter. I'm kind of scared because I'm afraid that getting better means I'll take a turn for the worse but I'm trying to occupy myself to get my mind off it.
Do you have a plug-in heat pad or one of those old fashioned heating blankets? I find them to be extremely helpful with chills. Don't worry, when you get better you will continue to improve and will not take a turn for the worse. Hang in there!

Do you have a plug-in heat pad or one of those old fashioned heating blankets? I find them to be extremely helpful with chills. Don't worry, when you get better you will continue to improve and will not take a turn for the worse. Hang in there!

I have a heated blanket, in fact I have it wrapped around me right now, thanks. :cutie: And thank you very much for the words of encouragement, too.

No tub, only a shower in my isolation space-I'll see if I can take a hot shower tomorrow. The problem is standing up long enough because I feel like my legs are made of particularly painful jelly. I can't even remember what day I last showered, must have been the morning before the day I got sick. So I have to say I last showered at the end of March, hahaha...God, I must stink so bad, it's a good thing I'm quarantined.
I have one of those 3 legged Ikea stools. Something like that would work. I remember when I had vertigo, I had to shower and was able to do it by sitting down. If you don't have anything like that, what about sitting on the floor or the lip of the shower?

But also, I'm not sure hot showers are recommended for fevers. You should check. You might also try ice or coldpack on the back of your neck. Or be in the room with a cool shower running so the air will cool you off. (Not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so take it for what it's worth)

Last edited:
I actually told my two brothers when they stopped over earlier that I would ask this question on my "worldly" DIS so here it is.

Right now, I don't know anyone in my family or circuit of friends that have the Coronavirus.

*** Edited to add......I really do use your replies and thoughts to gauge what can be going on in our world. Many of your replies and opinions over my 20 years here have been very helpful and insightful. Thank you. :goodvibes

My older brother was positive for COVID-19, but thankfully he fought it so fast and so well. He had a pretty bad fever and lost his taste for about 3 days, but then his fever just went away. We got him tested but never got a call about his results so I found a website called BioReference Labs and if you went through a drive through testing center, your results should be on here. Just make an account and answer a few questions and you'll see them. When he was positive it was shocking and a bit scary but it had already been a week since he was tested and was totally fine. He just has a slight cough now. He is well over 2 weeks quarantined and is actually going back to work. He will be wearing a mask and gloves constantly but he is no longer contagious and should not contract it again. I personally think I had it back in December while working because I had a strange fever and felt so bad and gross. I got a cough and took anitbiotics but it didn't help, I just waited and it went away.

Fortunately, no. But it’s scary. Our county has over 500 cases and 10 deaths. And all our relatives are in New Jersey and Florida.

He is well over 2 weeks quarantined and is actually going back to work. He will be wearing a mask and gloves constantly but he is no longer contagious and should not contract it again.

Bolded by me.

That’s not a for sure statement as of now. Though, it most likely is a true statement for the next 3 to 9 months.
But, no one knows yet whether this is a seasonal virus (since we haven’t gone through a complete season of it yet), nor how long antibodies produced naturally in the body can be detected for in a serological year. We can only tell once enough time has passed. We also don’t know yet whether the titer levels of a recovered patient depend on severity of disease. But looking at SARS data, it is likely the more severe one’s symptoms were, the longer the antibodies are detected for.

I have already posted on here but just received confirmation that my brother in NJ just received test results and is definitely positive. He is doing ok but still sick after getting sick last Sunday.
We are praying my sil and nieces and sil parents do not get it.

My brother is now the sixth person we know with it. One of the six has passed away from it.

I hate this virus.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/outpourin...y-struggling-in-their-battle-against-covid-19
I guess through distant connections on Facebook, and the fact that both husband and wife are nurses, one of our local news stations did a short segment on a friend of mine who got COVID-19. He's still in the ICU but very very slowly improving.

I feel so bad for this bus driver's family from MI.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...-of-covid-19-after-calling-out-coughing-rider

It really sucks to see people still out there not caring about the situation or arguing about how their personal freedom is being taken away. :sad2: A few of the personalities on Fox News isn't helping either.
I listen to a Fox News all the time, and they are all taking this seriously. They promote following the social distancing guidelines and the rest of the safety measures.

I read that a hot bath is NOT recommended when you have a fever. A shower may be less of an issue since you’re not submerged in the water. Warm water is fine.

My husband and I both had the flu (we think it was only the flu) after flying back from Ft Lauderdale mid February. I had a worse fever than he did and we both tried to sleep as much as possible. We had a down comforter on the bed plus blankets.

I think it’s important to get vitamins and minerals. Glad you’re having potatoes and bananas as they’re high in potassium. If you can get citrus fruit and apples or applesauce, you should have some of that. We had no appetites and couldn’t face a steak or anything heavy for four or five days. Fortunately I’d already made chicken soup, so we ate quite a bit of that. Coffee was unappealing but green and herb teas tasted good to us. I hope you get better soon.

But also, I'm not sure hot showers are recommended for fevers.
I read that a hot bath is NOT recommended when you have a fever. A shower may be less of an issue since you’re not submerged in the water. Warm water is fine.

I'm not a nurse or doctor, but I also don't think hot showers (especially baths) are recommended. You may feel chilled and think that will make you feel better, but I've always been under the impression that it will actually raise your body temperature. I think a warm shower is fine, though. Hope you feel better soon, @BlueStarryHat!

A close friend of ours had it. He couldn’t get a test even though he met all testing requirements- fever, shortness of breath, exhaustion etc. He was told to go home and self isolate. He is doing much better now, symptom free for over two weeks now. He is over fifty, so it’s good that it was not worse.

But also, I'm not sure hot showers are recommended for fevers. You should check. You might also try ice or coldpack on the back of your neck. Or be in the room with a cool shower running so the air will cool you off. (Not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so take it for what it's worth)

While scalding hot baths/showers definitely make the chills of a fever feel better, it's actually not a great idea to do this because it raises your body temperature even more. Not necessarily a big deal if you've got a low-grade fever, but not a good idea if you are at 103 or something. That's why high fevers are often treated with a cold water bath.

I have one of those 3 legged Ikea stools. Something like that would work. I remember when I had vertigo, I had to shower and was able to do it by sitting down. If you don't have anything like that, what about sitting on the floor or the lip of the shower?

While scalding hot baths/showers definitely make the chills of a fever feel better, it's actually not a great idea to do this because it raises your body temperature even more. Not necessarily a big deal if you've got a low-grade fever, but not a good idea if you are at 103 or something. That's why high fevers are often treated with a cold water bath.

Eeps! :crazy2: Forget I mentioned it. Although, I'm glad I too know now.

A longtime friend of a longtime friend, who I met a few times years ago when we were in college, has been on a ventilator in a New York City Hospital. She just heard from him and he is out of the ICU. He needs a couple more weeks in the hospital to recover where he will be having OT to learn how to swallow and talk properly. I guess his throat muscles were messed up after 10 days on a ventilator. That never even occurred to me. He would be about my age (48); I do not know if he had any other health conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter