Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

If you do not want to keep your December or later reservations on Southwest, since they will not be blocking middle seats after November 2020, here is a heads-up for getting a refund of your ticket:

As a gesture of goodwill, all active reservations booked prior to October 23 with travel for December 1 or later are eligible for a one-time refund. You will receive an email with more information in the coming days.

If you do not want to keep your December or later reservations on Southwest, since they will not be blocking middle seats after November 2020, here is a heads-up for getting a refund of your ticket:

As a gesture of goodwill, all active reservations booked prior to October 23 with travel for December 1 or later are eligible for a one-time refund. You will receive an email with more information in the coming days.
A refund would be great! I've been holding off cancelling my Jan ticket ever since marathon weekend got cancelled. Hopefully it won't matter that I "rebooked" the flight once when the price dropped. I probably won't get that $25 back since it's now travel funds, but a refund of the rest would be fantastic.
Update: I received the email and requested the refund. :)

Last edited:

Thank you for this info! As mentioned before, we cancelled our BWI reservation for Dec 2-9 but haven't cancelled our airfare yet. I hope this refund will actually be a refund...v.s. travel credits? I wouldn't mind the travel credits if they have a 2022 expiration but I won't refuse an actual refund!

Thank you for this info! As mentioned before, we cancelled our BWI reservation for Dec 2-9 but haven't cancelled our airfare yet. I hope this refund will actually be a refund...v.s. travel credits? I wouldn't mind the travel credits if they have a 2022 expiration but I won't refuse an actual refund!
It should be a refund, but I don’t know if they also will refund the EBCI fees, or not.

More info on Southwest’s refund offer for December or later travel:

• Refunds: We recognize that some Customers may have booked travel with the hope that our middle seat block would be extended beyond November. Therefore, we’re offering added flexibility by allowing refunds for all Customers booked prior to October 23 for travel on December 1 or later. On Friday, October 23, Customers booked on travel beginning December 1 will get an email that provides an option for a refund back to their original form of payment, regardless of the fare purchased. These Customers will have until midnight on October 31 (CST) to opt for this policy exception, and the refund must be initiated through a link provided in the October 23r email delivered to all eligible Customers.
  • Full Flight Changes: Customers who keep their booking will be notified two to three days before travel if their flight is booked to a capacity where middle seats will likely be occupied. Those Customers will be given the option to change to a flight (if another flight is available) that is less full within three days of their original flight at no additional charge.

Last edited:
Here is the refund email sent out this morning to customers with active reservations, qualifying for a refund:

Beginning with the travel date of December 1, 2020, all seats on Southwest® flights are once again available for purchase.
While we have communicated having our "Middle Seats open through November 30," we understand that you may have made your booking hoping we would continue to limit the number of Passengers onboard beyond that date. We are committed to your peace of mind when you fly, and travel scheduled beyond November 30 may include a flight with an occupied middle seat. As a gesture of goodwill, we are providing you the opportunity for a refund* for your upcoming trip (Confirmation #——— ———) should you wish to cancel. In order to receive a refund*, you must complete and submit this form by Saturday, October 31 at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Once the form has been submitted, no further actions are required (i.e., do not cancel your trip on Southwest.com® or swabiz.com)**. Please allow up to 30 days for funds to be applied to your original form of payment**. A follow-up notification will be sent to you once your trip has been canceled and an additional notification will be sent after your refund has been processed.
With the Southwest Promise, we're committed to supporting the well-being of our Employees and Customers by requiring face coverings; using HEPA air filters onboard (similar to the technology found in hospitals); and electrostatically applying disinfectant on aircraft surfaces to kill viruses on contact as well as an antimicrobial spray that forms a protective shield that lasts for 30 days. Additionally, we continue to evaluate our policies and procedures based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the broader medical community.
While many elements of our experience have changed and will continue to evolve, we are continuing to deliver the same Southwest Hospitality that you know and expect. From our Heart to yours, we are ready to connect you to the People and places you love, and we hope to see you soon.
Your friends at Southwest Airlines®
*Corporate bookings and Group Travel policies may vary; please reach out to your original source of booking for further assistance.
**If you cancel on Southwest.com, swabiz.com, or through any other channel rather than by completing the form through the link provided in this email, or if your original form of payment was a gift card, funds from your flight will be reserved for future travel instead of being refunded to your original form of payment.

NOTE: The active link has been deleted from this post. Each email will be linked to an active reservation that qualifies for the temporary refund offer.

Crazy frustrated by the middle seat change. For a family of 4, it puts one of us with 2 strangers. We aren't comfortable with that yet.... it's getting worse, not better. Ugh. Hate to cancel my whole trip, but don't know if driving will be an option. Maybe we can convince 2 family members to join us? lol

I can buy the middle seat on other airlines. Can't do that on SW. I don't want to switch from SW, but guess I may have to.

Last edited:
Crazy frustrated by the middle seat change. For a family of 4, it puts one of us with 2 strangers. We aren't comfortable with that yet.... it's getting worse, not better. Ugh. Hate to cancel my whole trip, but don't know if driving will be an option. Maybe we can convince 2 family members to join us? lol

I can buy the middle seat on other airlines. Can't do that on SW. I don't want to switch from SW, but guess I may have to.
If your children are uncomfortable sitting with strangers you can choose to sit 3 + 1 so an adult is with a person/people they don't know.

It's only my DD and I so we have always had an extra person in the row. She sits beside the window and I sit in the middle seat. Never been a problem.

Also, there is no guarantee that the planes will suddenly be full. I would be surprised if you couldn't have at least 1 empty seat in your row of 2, especially if you go further back in the plane.

I would sit aisle window in the back of the plane. Those are going to be the last seats taken on a full flight. I flew last week and there was a completely empty back row of the plane with what was supposedly a "sold out" flight MCO-MDW.

Travel funds reminder - conversion to RR points

Travel funds
Travel fund FAQs
Now through December 15, 2020, convert your qualified travel funds to points for added flexibility.
Rapid Rewards points don’t expire.
You can redeem your points for travel for anyone.
To qualify, your travel fund a) must expire September 7, 2022, b) name must match the name on your Rapid Reward account, and c) must have originated from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com®, booked by a Southwest Airlines® Customer Representative, or approved by your employer. You must request to convert your travel fund by December 15, 2020. Conversion is non-reversible. When travel funds are converted to Rapid Rewards points, these points will not count toward earning tier status nor earning Companion Pass. Rapid Rewards points cannot be used to pay taxes or fees. Both travel fund balances and points conversion calculations displayed below are reflective of what was in your account upon login and may not include transactions which may have occurred during your current session. Refreshing your browser will provide the most up-to-date information.

Ugh. I have travel funds that are not eligible. Like $150 worth. And I know I can't use them before they expire.

Ugh. I have travel funds that are not eligible. Like $150 worth. And I know I can't use them before they expire.

I’m in a similar situation. What can be done to either use the travel funds somehow? Or get the date extended?

I’m in a similar situation. What can be done to either use the travel funds somehow? Or get the date extended?
Not a whole heck of a lot. If you book a new ticket with the funds and then cancel it, it doesn't reset the time you have to use it. In theory, you can wait for them to expire and then call and ask them to convert it to a LUV voucher, but it costs to do so, and they may not do it, it's up to the representative. And even then LUV vouchers only have a 6 month use period. I was really hoping they would change the eligibility on the travel funds to allow more people to convert.

Not a whole heck of a lot. If you book a new ticket with the funds and then cancel it, it doesn't reset the time you have to use it. In theory, you can wait for them to expire and then call and ask them to convert it to a LUV voucher, but it costs to do so, and they may not do it, it's up to the representative. And even then LUV vouchers only have a 6 month use period. I was really hoping they would change the eligibility on the travel funds to allow more people to convert.
Thanks! That’s what I thought but was hoping for better news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter