Taking a beating in the stock market

I read this entire thread, and it was interesting to see the different perspectives, but also how the emotions of the posters grew gloomier as the market dropped, and happier as it bounced up.

Having lived and invested through the dot.com bubble/burst and subsequent recession of 2000-2001, and the housing bubble/financial crisis/Great Recession of 2007-2009 all that I can say is that time is very different and much, much worse than those events. The market bottom, in my opinion is not even close to being realized yet. We haven't even begun to assess the wreckage of what shutting down our economy will do to our nation, and to our world. We're still in the first phase of this thing, with the government trying to backstop every market from Treasuries to the mortgage market. Massive amounts of money is being doled out to our largest corporations. Stimulus checks to many Americans. Forgivable loans to small business. But I will tell you that the money is not getting to where it needs to go fast enough. Not nearly fast enough.

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck. 40% of Americans didn't have $400 in the bank for a financial emergency going into this event. Massive, massive numbers of "furloughs" are already happening now....a lot of those furloughs will become permanent layoffs by the summer. Disney announced they're furloughing 200,000 employees on April 19th. They have to. And not all of those Disney employees will be back. A tsunami of defaults and bankruptcies will begin to build by late spring and into and through the summer.

All of these issues will lead to major problems in the markets that trade corporate debt, especially the riskier debt. When we tamp down one type of bubble in our economy, it inevitable pops up somewhere else. Last time it was the sub-prime mortgage market. This time it's risky corporate debt. If that market, and others like it begin to have serious issues functioning (and we're already seeing signs of that), it causes a contagion that can and likely will affect other more stable financial markets. If that occurs, we have another bigger financial crisis on our hands (bigger than 2007-09).

Consumer spending is over 70% of our economy. And consumer confidence is plummeting right now. We aren't just going to bounce out of this event in May, don our new masks and head off to Disney world. Sure, some people will, but many will be cautious due to the virus, but also very cautious to spend money. Many will have taken such a financial hit by then, that they will be focusing on eating and keeping a roof over their heads. Even people with resources will cut back on large purchases because of the stock market and what that does to the "wealth effect".

I really do feel like people need to understand that we're already in a very deep recession and that the damage that has already been done to the world economy means that it's going to be a long one, unlike anything that any of us have experienced. This time is very different and it will be a number of years for things to feel like they did for most Americans in late 2019. That's not so say that life won't go on, it will. But the kind of "Happy Days are here Again" feeling in the economy/stock market are most definitely over for some time. Hang tough everyone.

I finally looked at my teacher retirement 401k today. I am down 100K and had hoped to retire in four years. Not gonna happen.

I think this might get much worse before it gets better, but I also think we will recover fairly well. Hopefully you are fully back to pre-COVID-19 levels before you had hoped to retire.

By the way, thank you for teaching our youth! This stress on the system right now, will pay off in the future. Schools might even add some home days every week or month next year? Reduces busing, driving, etc. Promotes use of technology. Provides a work-around for snow days.

I finally looked at my teacher retirement 401k today. I am down 100K and had hoped to retire in four years. Not gonna happen.

I too am a teacher planning on retiring in 4 years. Upon my retirement, I will be teaching for 20 years. I began teaching in my early 40s, after leaving the private sector. I too have lost money in my 403(b), but since I haven't been teaching for the majority of my life, my loss is less because I haven't had the years in which to contribute. Our 401ks from previous employers, of course, are not doing well either.

My hope is that my husband I and can live off of pensions and savings (holding off on collecting social security), while leaving our 401ks to rebound before we have to take required minimum distributions.

Hoping the very best for one and all.

CDC website is a good/reputable place to look for disease information. That is where to find factual information instead of random opinions/hunches, etc.

Q: Will warm weather stop the outbreak of COVID-19?

A: It is not yet known whether weather and temperature impact the spread of COVID-19. Some other viruses, like the common cold and flu, spread more during cold weather months but that does not mean it is impossible to become sick with these viruses during other months. At this time, it is not known whether the spread of COVID-19 will decrease when weather becomes warmer. There is much more to learn about the transmissibility, severity, and other features associated with COVID-19 and investigations are ongoing.

Australia (during their Summer) and Singapore which is Tropical are dealing with Covid19 cases. Not sure Summer will slow this coronavirus down.

Australia (during their Summer) and Singapore which is Tropical are dealing with Covid19 cases. Not sure Summer will slow this coronavirus down.

There are cases south of the equator but on a quick glance at the world wide case numbers, there seems to be much fewer cases, just 5k in Australia and 1k in Singapore. Even taking population into account those are very low numbers. Could the weather have something to do with it, like the CDC says the jury is still out but maybe it will have some positive impact.

Consumer spending is over 70% of our economy. And consumer confidence is plummeting right now.

The local companies (Costco and Amazon) here most dependent on consumer spending here haven't taken much of a hit. I don't see much of a recession here at all even though we could use one to take some froth out of the local Puget Sound economy. Amazon currently has 11,000 job openings in the City of Seattle they have been unable to fill. Alphabet, Apple, Facebook, Expedia, etc, have been also hiring like crazy here. I think you are way overestimating the downturn.

Hospital admissions for Corona are already dropping in Seattle by 20% last week. We have already turned the corner. This thing will be over faster than you think.

The local companies (Costco and Amazon) here most dependent on consumer spending here haven't taken much of a hit. I don't see much of a recession here at all even though we could use one to take some froth out of the local Puget Sound economy. Amazon currently has 11,000 job openings in the City of Seattle they have been unable to fill. Alphabet, Apple, Facebook, Expedia, etc, have been also hiring like crazy here. I think you are way overestimating the downturn.

I'm not sure you're understanding how dire our situation is. Costco is hiring like crazy because everyone in the United States is panic buying food for our month long quarantine (as least the smartest among us who are following the rules). Amazon is hiring like crazy because everyone is buying the other things that they/want need at home. Both are seeing unprecedented demand because of the pandemic. Expedia laid off 3,000 employees at the end of February. They're a travel related company and will see huge losses to their bottom line. Companies like Starbucks, Disney and others are "playing nice" in keeping their employees on through May 3rd for Starbucks and April 19th for Disney. Disney has already announced that as of the 19th they're furloughing all non-essential employees. That's close to 200,000 people right there.

We already have 10 million unemployed in this country. Estimates are that we will reach 32% unemployment in the second quarter. That's 47 million people who are unemployed. That's worse than the Great Depression. Yes, some will be able to return to work as we get better at testing and hopefully develop mass antigen testing so that we can determine who has antibodies to this vicious disease and therefore, hopefully, immunity. We can do it, but it will take time. But make no mistake, this is, by far, the biggest crisis we've faced in our great nation since the Second World War. Except this time, we're fighting it on our soil.

Anyone who thinks that we can just get to the end of this month and then just go back to normal, as it was before, is truly delusional...and that's not a slam, it's the truth. This is simply about science and math....neither of which cares what anyone believes. The next phase of this is going to be a very strange landscape where we have to learn to work and live while continuing to social distance. If we don't do this, we will have new hot spots that pop up in various parts of the country. And we have to prepare for round two of this virus, likely in the fall of this year.

I'm not sure we'll have any major league sports for the rest of the spring/summer for sure. It would be incredibly dangerous and negligent to do so. Shangai Disneyland is still closed. They've begun a kind of phased opening of the hotels and some recreational activities with very strict measures in place. WDW and DL will need to do the same. But the idea that all of WDW is going to open on June 1st....with it functioning as it did before this started...is again, delusional.

I so wish that all that I'm saying wasn't the case, that this is all a nightmare. But the sooner we come to terms with what we are going to continue to go through, the better we will be able to prepare and cope in the best ways that we can.

I'm not sure you're understanding how dire our situation is.

But the situation isn't dire here. Corona arrived here in January and isn't taking off nearly as much as the doomsday scenarios predicted. The hospitals are not overwhelmed. The number of patients in ICUs is dropping. It wouldn't be a bad thing here if we had a recession to take the froth out of the market. The economy has been completely out of control here the last 5 years and a recession is probably the only thing that can help balance things out.

But the situation isn't dire here. Corona arrived here in January and isn't taking off nearly as much as the doomsday scenarios predicted. The hospitals are not overwhelmed. The number of patients in ICUs is dropping. It wouldn't be a bad thing here if we had a recession to take the froth out of the market. The economy has been completely out of control here the last 5 years and a recession is probably the only thing that can help balance things out.
I completely understand that. You also live in an area where strict measures were put in place first. And so yes, you were able to flatten the curve....exactly what we want!. You are on the the other side of the first wave of round one. You are also still on a statewide "stay at home" order....which your governor has extended through May 4th. Just allowing us all to go back to work...all at once, risks that those who are infected starts another huge rise in cases and filling hospitals up again.

And COVID-19 didn't just arrive there in January...you just noticed it before the rest of us.

Your economy is already in a deep recession, as is entire US, as is the entire Globe. This recession will be worse than the Great Recession of 2007-09. The government has already thrown everything but the kitchen sink at our economy....the kitchen sink will be coming soon.

Another point, which almost seems counterintuitive, but health care is going to be hit hard. Everyone assumes that (money wise) health care wins with this crisis, doctors and nurses will be making money and hospitals a killing. This just isn’t true. This is costing hospitals a lot of cash and they aren’t making much in revenue. Most make money off surgeries and those have been slashed and no one knows how much they will get for the care of these patients that are in the hospital for weeks, or even if they will be paid. Add to that primary care doctors, dentists, orthopedics, orthodontists etc who can’t see patients now but have a large overhead. I have already seen layoffs and furloughs in these departments. There isn’t a single job in this current state that hasn’t been affected. I felt like we were due for a downturn for a while and that we were just waiting for something to knock it, but this is unprecedented. I hope I am wrong but I think a depression is ahead. I just hope it’s not a long one.

As long as the discussion is centered on the topic in the title this thread may be able to remain.

If discussion of COVID-19 and politics continues, this thread will be closed.

Another point, which almost seems counterintuitive, but health care is going to be hit hard. Everyone assumes that (money wise) health care wins with this crisis, doctors and nurses will be making money and hospitals a killing. This just isn’t true. This is costing hospitals a lot of cash and they aren’t making much in revenue. Most make money off surgeries and those have been slashed and no one knows how much they will get for the care of these patients that are in the hospital for weeks, or even if they will be paid. Add to that primary care doctors, dentists, orthopedics, orthodontists etc who can’t see patients now but have a large overhead. I have already seen layoffs and furloughs in these departments. There isn’t a single job in this current state that hasn’t been affected. I felt like we were due for a downturn for a while and that we were just waiting for something to knock it, but this is unprecedented. I hope I am wrong but I think a depression is ahead. I just hope it’s not a long one.
Almost 10% of our local hospital workforce was furloughed this week. They blamed lack of non emergency procedures.

Getting back on track, did anyone purchase Disney stock at its low? I didn’t know how low it would go and by the time I made up my mind it was already swinging upward.

Getting back on track, did anyone purchase Disney stock at its low? I didn’t know how low it would go and by the time I made up my mind it was already swinging upward.
Even at its low I couldn't afford it. :/
I bought RCL, Gilead, and more S&P 500 index shares.

I don't buy individual stock, but if you do, I will be willing to bet that you'll get another shot at Disney at a much cheaper price. Full disclosure, my husband and I are 52 and 51 years old and have been concerned since the end of 2019 that the market was overvalued by probably 10-20%....pre-pandemic. We, like many others, had incredible returns over 2019...25-29% in our respective investments. Our allocation at year end was 85% US equities, 11% international and 4% bonds. Instead of pulling completely out of the market at that time, we moved everything into Vanguard's VBIAX, essentially their 60 stock/40 bond fund in mid January. The most conservative allocation we'd ever set up.

We were also paying close attention to the news about this virus and wondering if we should get out altogether. Around February 20th...the market really started to react to the reality that we would not be spared, but still, the news wasn't dire. Then on February 25th, a day after the Dow dropped by around 1,000 points....I heard a woman named Nancy Messioneir from the CDC. It was just a recording of a call she had with reporters. I was out running errands and listening to the news. Something she said during that call was so alarming to me that I pulled over.

She said, "The American public needs to prepare for major disruption to our daily lives. It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen anymore but rather more of a question of exactly when this will happen." She said that cities and towns should plan for “social distancing measures,” like dividing school classes into smaller groups of students or closing schools altogether. Meetings and conferences may have to be canceled, she said. Businesses should arrange for employees to work from home." “We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare, in the expectation that this could be bad,”

I called my husband immediately, and he put sell orders in for everything. Because it's all mutual funds, we didn't get out until the close that day, but because we'd moved to a balanced fund, our portfolio was down just 4% from the market high. Obviously now that we're out, it's nearly impossible to decide when to get back in, but I'm not buying that this market has bottomed.

It makes sense that certain company's stocks may have bottomed. Everyone got slaughtered, and so some of the rebound is traders buying individual companies that are going to be just fine and some of these stocks were definitely on sale. It also is rallying because it looks like the NY metro area is peaking as far as infections. That's...great news. It's also being pushed higher by traders who shorted the market and are now being forced to cover their bets. And finally, it's rallying because the Treasury and Federal Reserve are doing more than has ever been done in the history of this country to prevent us from going into another Great Depression.

But this is almost exactly what happened during the Great Recession....very similar trading pattern. But no matter how much the Treasury and Fed are doing here, incredible, historic damage is being done to our economy. There will be a massive wave of defaults and bankruptcies. That's just going to happen. The stimulus money is taking too long to get to individuals and Main Street....it's barely trickling out. By the time it gets to many of these small businesses, it will be too late for some of them to make it. And finally, even though most Americans will remain employed, we're going to have very high unemployment for the next year or more. And Americans who have kept their jobs are likely going to change their behavior for quite awhile as we come out of our "lockdown" mode. We're all likely to be very tentative with our wallets for quite some time.

When I think of all of that, and now with the market down just 20% or so from the highs....well, the market was 20% overpriced before all of this. It won't be until all of the economic carnage is really understood that we see the actual bottom of this market. However, the market will turn higher before the worst of the economic fallout is understood. So...our plan is to dollar cost average in on the next leg down and continue to do so until we're fully invested back into our balanced fund. Currently we're in Vanguards' US treasury fund. And even that kept me up for a couple of nights...until the Fed stepped in and backstopped the treasury market. Definitely stressful times for all!

No. We already own it. We did put more money into it in early March when everything first dropped thinking that was low. 😂😂. It’s fine though. We are in it for the long haul. I try not to look at it and play the market. I find that it’s just easier to put money in when I have it and not try to aim for the down market. Helps that we aren’t retiring anytime soon.

I just pulled DD college money out and said let it sit out of the market for now. She is a college senior August this year and might go for masters. Her $ was down $ already. DH and I could make up the current loss. But I don’t wish it drop more (as no one does) and need to help with that too.

DS is a college freshman, his $ needs time frame is later, so market could recover and he had no money in the market-I have some in a bond- I will leave it alone.

My 401k is back to even. My personal is still down 7%. I’ll see what the job numbers look like next week before shifting my AA some more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter