Taking a beating in the stock market

I'm in the same boat. I saved about half the downside so far.

Now, the challenge is figuring out when to get back in. That's what people will bring up next. That's what you need come up with a plan for. And the market has often gone back up before the economy has recovered when unemployment is near its peak.
Just do what I did. Choose a number and get in at that point. I choose to get back in once it dropped 10%. So when the market fell 10% I jumped back in. It could fall further but who cares? I saved 10%! That's like an entire year of growth that I got in just one week.

Don't let the rest of these Debbie Downers talk you out of your plan. They don't believe anyone can time the market because they are too afraid to try. Fear should not control your decisions, math and logic should control your decisions.

RCL was too cheap not to buy. I hate the idea of cruises but down from over a hundred per share was just too tempting so now I’m the proud owner of a Disney competitor. Feels a little dirty.

Are there any side-perks to owning RCL other than buying a depressed stock and then sell it higher?

They pay dividends. Tiny tiny dividends that add up over time.

Ah, I was wondering if they have a deal like Carnival (CCL) and their lines where if you own 100 shares you get a $100 stateroom credit on every sailing you take. I plan to buy some CCL and give it a try.

Now I'm also wondering if I can buy 100 shares of CCL as part of an IRA, as I plan to hold it and not sell when it peaks.

Ah, I was wondering if they have a deal like Carnival (CCL) and their lines where if you own 100 shares you get a $100 stateroom credit on every sailing you take. I plan to buy some CCL and give it a try.

Now I'm also wondering if I can buy 100 shares of CCL as part of an IRA, as I plan to hold it and not sell when it peaks.
I just found this on the interweb:
"CruiseCompete.com - Shareholder Benefits. Cruise travelers who own at least 100 shares of stock in Carnival Corporation (CCL) or Royal Caribbean (RCL) can receive up to $250 in onboard credits during their next vacation at sea. Just follow the instructions below to secure your shareholder benefit."

But I don't cruise unless my piece of land is under civil unrest or is on fire, so I don't care.

Bought RCL when it was $6 about 11 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go back to $6 again!
Wish I had sold when it went up to $130+!

I trade NVAX a lot. If you enjoy losing sleep, watching massive swings and questioning yourself constantly... I highly recommend it.

I'll keep that in mind! Not so much for myself--I have enough trouble sleeping at night, without looking at the markets--but my DS14 is very interested in stocks and investing. He generally starts his morning with, "Hey, Mom, look at how Apple (Amazon, Walmart...) is doing!" He's been enjoying the market swings (weirdo!). Of course, it's all still play money to him. Or at least, he knows he won't actually control it for years, so he's not bothered the way he would be if he was employed and trying to make rent.

I trade NVAX a lot. If you enjoy losing sleep, watching massive swings and questioning yourself constantly... I highly recommend it.
Umm....no.

Several years ago I noticed small biotechs had very high option premiums. I bought 1000 NVAX at roughly 6.80. Sold an option for a month later with a $7 strike for $1.20. I was like "gee, 20% return in a month? How can I lose!!!" But the week of expiration they announced the failure of a drug trial. The stock dropped 93% (no that's not a typo). It was like .70 the next day. So I paid 6.80, got 1.20 for a net of 5.60 then sold it for .70. So my 20% guaranteed return cost me $4,900.

I've also gotten screwed by ZIOP, OCUL, ADVX, CLDX... No more small biotechs for me.

Same here.....same everywhere.
We retired “early” back June 1 and DD#3 got engaged in December. Still hoping to get married in 9.5 weeks. Anyway we sold two low performers and banked the cash back in February - thank goodness. Yes portfolio is down but we should be ok if things bounce back over the next few years. We use our portfolio right now for future planning. DH lets me worry about all things financial. We have a big chunk of emergency cash in the bank and monthly pensions. Fortunately no big expenses other than the wedding coming up.
We are better off than some not as good as others.
I had one annuity make 25+% growth last year - 45K to 62k in a single year! OH WELL. Too good to be true.

I know. Kicking myself now. That dude on the internet said we’d fall to 15,000. Unfortunately I got back in at 24,000. But at least I made 10%.

but remember....you can’t time the market! Lol

Why would you kick yourself? I didn't bother to do anything. I kept buying and will continue to do so no matter what. I sleep like a baby even though I lost $400k over the last month. Easy come easy go.

Umm....no.

Several years ago I noticed small biotechs had very high option premiums. I bought 1000 NVAX at roughly 6.80. Sold an option for a month later with a $7 strike for $1.20. I was like "gee, 20% return in a month? How can I lose!!!" But the week of expiration they announced the failure of a drug trial. The stock dropped 93% (no that's not a typo). It was like .70 the next day. So I paid 6.80, got 1.20 for a net of 5.60 then sold it for .70. So my 20% guaranteed return cost me $4,900.

I've also gotten screwed by ZIOP, OCUL, ADVX, CLDX... No more small biotechs for me.
I day traded my way out of the last reverse split. It’s running in the $10-16 range now all over the place. I only buy and sell and don’t do the fancy option stuff.

I am getting nauseated. Where's my Dramamine? Honestly, the volatility is unbelievable!

Try the SQQQ and TQQQ if you want to lose sleep. This is the short or long QQQ with 3x leverage. I have been doing some day trades with a small amount of money to keep my mind sharp. At the end of the day I buy betting the next day it will reverse. I get out if haf the previous days loss and gain evaporates. SO far so good with the theory I have only had a couple of down trades and have been willing to admit when I am wrong and get out with minimal loss. So far my track record is 8-1-1. Of course the gains even with that record are 1% of my loss's. But it keeps me out of trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter