The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Lets discuss running shoes today. How did you determine what shoes you currently have? Did you try new brands / type as you circumstances change?

I had a professional fitting in 2005 and the shoe that worked best for me then, the Wave Rider, is what I use for training and anything over 10K. I used to use them for everything before I tried racing flats for shorter races which I use now only in races. I also have trail shoes now and those I also got fitted for and since I run trails way less I'm still on my first pair.

QOTD: Does the color of your running shoes bother you?

Nope. I don't really like all black but I care about the function, not the form. If my Wave Riders were only available in hot pink I would still wear them because they work for me.

Last edited:
I don't really care about shoe color, unless the sale shoe color is too bilious-like orange. Then I may actually pay a few bucks more to get one that I can stand.

@LSUlakes Floating a possible QOTD......Have you ever had an injury where the cause was never determined? If so, (and once recovered) did it have any impact on your future running experience--mentally, physically?

I'm just looking for other people's experiences. As a former engineer, it drives me nuts not to know the root cause of a problem. After all, how can you keep it from coming back if you don't know why it happened in the first place. From minor strains to things like stress fractures, I sometimes struggle with this.

ATTQOTD: I had a friend ask me if the color of a running shoe matters, because someone told her that "real runners only wear black shoes". LOL. I like going with colors that I like. My last pair of Brooks were black but they had some mint accent colors. But now I have a wine colored pair and my rainbow tie dyed pair and I love them both. I used to care about making costumes during races match, but it would be too expensive to also incorporate a matching shoe just for a race.

ATTQOTD: The color of my running shoes doesn’t bother me. There are certain colors I try to avoid if I can but if it’s the shoes I need, I get over it and know I will just have a get a new pair sooner or later anyways.

I prefer to wear loud, obnoxious colors if I can. I did find a pair of mostly black shoes with purple accents by Scott that were incredibly dull but served me well for awhile. They're not comfortable anymore though and they shouldn't be close to worn out. I'm thinking it's the weight that I've put on.

Now I'm in a pair of teal 361s with camouflage overlay. They're still getting broken in but they feel better than the Scotts so far.

Gray and colorless, just like me.

:rotfl:

ATTQOTD: I had a friend ask me if the color of a running shoe matters, because someone told her that "real runners only wear black shoes". LOL.
This is absolutely hilarious to me. I don't really care at all about the color of my shoes but I do think that I look faster if I wear all black... It helps me channel my inner ninja I guess. That said, I tend to buy the most ridiculous color/patterned running gear which means I rarely ever match.

ATTQOTD: When I first started running it did and I went out of my way to avoid bright colors. I got over all of that shortly after and as long as the shoe feels good I do not care if they are bright pink at this point.

At first, I would try for the best color scheme. And then, I got an amazing deal on my favorite shoe model in... THIS color...
Nike%20Zoom%20Vomero%208%20Athletic%20Men%20s%20Shoes%20Wolf%20Grey%20Total%20Orange%20Reflect%20Silver%20Black%20Adidas%20No.8726_LRG.jpg

The picture really doesn't due the shoes justice, because I think they were visible from low Earth orbit.
After that, I got over it, and I just want a comfortable shoe for the best price!

ATTQOTD: Shoe color-I have no choice...wide only comes in one color variety in my specific shoe. I take what I get.

Injury update—sports med doc is sending me to physical therapy for ITB issue. If not better in two weeks, then I go back for x-rays and an injection to get me thru GSC.

I liked the doc...he’s a runDisney guy!

ATTQOTD: I am also in the camp of not much color choice as what style works/fits always seem to come in some form of Elvis blue suede. I love that there are many choice out there and that some of you dare to go bold, it makes racing so much more interesting. Checking out shoes is one of the mental strategies I use on longer runs so more variety the better.

Yes, I even name them after their color since I have multiple of the same model. I have fun matching them to my outfit... To a certain level. Made fantastic picture at the WnD Two Course Challenge!

I don't really care about shoe color, unless the sale shoe color is too bilious-like orange. Then I may actually pay a few bucks more to get one that I can stand.

@LSUlakes Floating a possible QOTD......Have you ever had an injury where the cause was never determined? If so, (and once recovered) did it have any impact on your future running experience--mentally, physically?

I'm just looking for other people's experiences. As a former engineer, it drives me nuts not to know the root cause of a problem. After all, how can you keep it from coming back if you don't know why it happened in the first place. From minor strains to things like stress fractures, I sometimes struggle with this.
Yes! I had some foot pain while running and thought it was a fluke. That following weekend the pain became excruciating during a 5 mile trail run with friends. After returning home I noticed the outside of my foot was bruised. Over a few days the entire outside of my foot was completely black and blue (although there was no pain with normal activity). I was able to see my podiatrist that Monday. The X-ray showed nothing, but she was convinced it was a stress fracture and ordered a MRI sending me home in a boot.

Of course it took some time to get the MRI and then follow-up with my doctor for the results (2-3 weeks?) The MRI... showed... NOTHING! My podiatrist was at a loss for words. With the extent of the bruising, she was sure it was a stress fracture. She told me I could transition back to regular shoes and regular activity. It took a week or two for my foot to feel normal again after the boot, but that was it. It hasn't bothered me since (this was over Thanksgiving 2016).

When I thought I had a stress fracture, I felt like it was just my "turn". A forced rest to be followed by hard work getting back up to speed. When I was told the pain and bruising were unexplained, I just took it as by body's way of forcing me to take a break. It was short enough that it didn't take long for me to get back up to speed. To this day...it's a mystery.

With my mutant feet, I take what I can get. I need wide width/gigantically wide toe box. Pickings are slim for the most part. So far, Ghost 10s are pretty solid!

@LSUlakes My Redondo Beach Super Bowl 5k finish time; 44:33

I'm not super excited about that result, but due to circumstances, I'm not surprised either (one corral, back of the corral, walkers, crowds, etc.). And I definitely learned I am not in race shape.

January:18.91 miles; not bad considering January 2017 was under 11 miles and that included a 10k race! OUCH!

The good news is, I think I have a running plan. My niece has informed me that her first half marathon will be in July 2019 (lol); the Napa to Sonoma Half Marathon. And by informing me, I think she means: "We're doing this one together." So I guess I just work the rest of my calendar back from there, eh @DopeyBadger? :) Anyone have any insight on this race?

ATTQOTD:

I prefer the craziest neon colors and designs possible. Glow-in-the-dark is good too. I get that shoes are largely utilitarian, but I like a bit flavor with mine. Black, grey, brown and white in shoes are my worst nightmare.

ETA: I’m a bit of a sneakerhead and this is a bit of my collection. Lots of color and not scared of pink. The greys are usually from Nike Mag from Back to the Future 2-inspired colorways (my dog is named McFly after all).
5386D9D0-D73A-47D6-9328-8F976A24BAC4.jpeg

Only a few are running shoes and a couple were designed by my niece and nephew (my annual Christmas/birthday present).

Last edited:
Not a lot of choice for me either - partly it seems because shoe companies don’t send a lot of colours down here. I had one colour choice when I got my latest pair of Mizuno Riders, looking at Amazon there are a whole heap of colours out there...

QOTD: What holiday themed race do you enjoy the most? Examples are St. Patrick day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect.

ATTQOTD: I like the Thanksgiving day turkey trot race. A nice little run before stuffing my face lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter