The Running Thread - 2018

@IamTrike I have not, my husband did it in 2016...we were planning on doing it together in 2017 but for some reason didn't. He loved it overall, said it was congested at parts, which is probably to be expected in a theme park race, but thought it was a fast course with a lot of downhill terrain. The race swag was good too- free Christmastown ticket and a free Busch Gardens single day ticket to use before Memorial Day.

Besides the 1.2 mile difference between Wicked and Surf'n Santa is finish location. Both start in front of the convention center, but instead of finishing on the boardwalk, you finish inside the convention center. I really don't like that; it's kind of chaotic finishing inside the party, and if it's a warmer evening and you pushed a little at the end, the blast of heat entering the building is nauseating.

@IamTrike I have not, my husband did it in 2016...we were planning on doing it together in 2017 but for some reason didn't. He loved it overall, said it was congested at parts, which is probably to be expected in a theme park race, but thought it was a fast course with a lot of downhill terrain. The race swag was good too- free Christmastown ticket and a free Busch Gardens single day ticket to use before Memorial Day.

Besides the 1.2 mile difference between Wicked and Surf'n Santa is finish location. Both start in front of the convention center, but instead of finishing on the boardwalk, you finish inside the convention center. I really don't like that; it's kind of chaotic finishing inside the party, and if it's a warmer evening and you pushed a little at the end, the blast of heat entering the building is nauseating.

I had heard Christmastown involved a lot of time in Parking lots.
In general I really like the races J&A put on. I've done the Shamrock and Crawling crab too. I'd like to try Harbor Lights at some point.

Race Report - Save the Light Half Marathon, Folly Beach

This race has been around for years and I last ran it eight years ago. It draws a modest field and on Saturday there were only 271 finishers for the half (there was a simultaneous 5k with a field of 279.) The weather may have contributed to the low turnout (as well as the crowded race calendar in the Lowcountry.) The race HQ is in a beach front hotel and access, parking and pick-up are easy. The start/finish line is near the hotel entrance.

Folly Beach is a small coastal community primarily known for attracting surfers and hippies. The architecture is best described as shabby chic. Though neither a surfer nor a hippie, I enjoy the running experience. And then I leave as soon as possible.

Getting up and out on Saturday was no easy task. The temperature was in the low thirties and the wind was strong and sustained. To many of you this might qualify as a balmy day but I assure you that anything below 50 is cause for considerable concern. The walk from my car to HQ was exceptionally painful and the warmth of the hotel lobby made me reconsider the prospect of suffering for two hours. Women, men and children were dutifully preparing for the race and upon taking notice of their lack of fear I resolved to risk frostbite, exposure, stroke, heart attack and bleeding from my eyes and participate.

As survival was first on the goal agenda proper equipment was essential. I decided on black running tights modestly covered by black running shorts, a red running shirt covered by a red and black pullover, black gloves and a black ball cap. I declined to wear the red knit ski cap for fear of appearing un-manly (but the gloves were staying dammit.) I realize that description may sound more like a fashion report than a race gear report, but mostly by accident I was color coordinated including my black Brooks running shoes. I feel as if this epic fashion moment should be memorialized in some fashion as all of this was accomplished without spousal consultation.

Second on the goal agenda was finish time. The original goal was 1:38:00 but based on training I felt that something in the 1:36-1:37 range was more likely.

The race started at 8:30 with a reported temperature of 33 degrees. Despite starting with the 5k runners the first mile was easy and clear and my pace of 7:15 was about right - except for one thing. It felt more like a 6:45-50 pace. The wind was fierce and coming right at us. At around mile 1.5 the 5k runners turned off and we continued on to a long stretch of exposed road. At this point a guy came up beside me and started running shoulder to shoulder. It was slightly odd but at the same time endearing that a strange man felt that I was approachable enough to share a tender running moment. Despite my glee, I was relieved that I took the path of modesty and covered my tights with shorts thereby eliminating the need to provide a lengthy explanation to my wife regarding the possible conclusion that I was serving as an attractive nuisance.

We settled into a pace and either due to the significant wind or a reaction to my cohort's pace it was slower than expected (around 7:25.) The course is out and back x2 and we were approaching the end of the road - literally. I expected a standard turn-around but the course continued off road and up a sand dune with loose, deep sand to the flag. The sand stretch must have been 150-200 meters but it was hard and slow running. My heart rate jumped up but the good news is that we were now on the downwind portion of the course. Looking back, the mile splits on the dunes were both over 7:50 so it is safe to say the diversion x2 added one minute. My new friend stayed with me though no words were spoken. On the upwind portions we took turns on the lead.

Thank goodness for the scenery because due to the weather, and the fact that Folly Beach hippies and surfers had not yet arisen, there were about six spectators on the course. The aid/water stations were manned by Navy volunteers who may or may not have been serving some sort of behavior related punishment. Nevertheless, they were enthusiastic, encouraging and rather insistent that you accept the wares they were plying.

I will add here that I took on a small amount of water at every opportunity (five) and wanted to take a gel at around 45-50 minutes. I was sick the week prior and still not recovered. Stomach cramps started at mile 5 and the prospect of any nutrition was dismissed.

We proceeded in lock step and on the deep and sandy approach to the second turn-around my running partner uttered his first words. I cannot say with certainty what the man said, but it seemed likely that he was spewing invective at the moronic imbeciles who decided to make us run through deep sand. As his insults were in Spanish it occurred to me that our lack of conversation may not have been related to shyness. Around mile 11 a young woman blazed by us. I thought that my partner might find her to be a more suitable option as her tights were uncovered, but instead her rapid pace crushed his soul and he started to fade. I hit the final stretch and crossed in a disappointing 1:39:20.

I don't know whether it was the windy conditions, prior illness, sub-standard training or a poor decision to run the first 10k too slow. Nevertheless, a good early season run and a good base for a hard five weeks of tri training.

Final Time: 1:39:20
Placing: 20 of 271
Age Group: 1 of ?

ATTOQTD: I am going to say the Super Bowl 5K I ran this past weekend. This was my second time running it and they provide sweet tea, BBQ sandwiches, and chips after you finish from one of our really good BBQ restaurants in town. I am all about the food. LOL

ATTQOTD: Favorite holiday race is the Hair of the Dog 4 mile run on New Years Day. It’s sponsored by the local Y, always had a festive atmosphere and has had great long sleeve race shirts!

I had heard Christmastown involved a lot of time in Parking lots.
In general I really like the races J&A put on. I've done the Shamrock and Crawling crab too. I'd like to try Harbor Lights at some point.

He said there was maybe 1.5-2 miles of parking lot, but it was decorated really well so it wasn't boring. J&A does a great job with all their events; this will be our first year not at Shamrock in a really long time, so it's been kind of weird hearing all the build-up and knowing we won't be participating. Everyone raves about Crawlin Crab, so I finally did it in October and the weather was absolutely horrible. I'm going back for redemption this year.

Harbor Lights has a special place in my heart as it's currently my half PR. Could be due to the PR, but it's my favorite J&A race.

ATTQOTD: I had a blast running A Christmas Story run in Cleveland. The 5k/10k started at the old Higbees window that was the scene of the toy display in the movie and ended at the house used for filming. It was great fun and I plan to make it a yearly event. I haven’t run any other holiday themed runs but money permitting I have my eye on a st Patrick’s day run.

Also, @LSUlakes sorry to hear about work. It makes for super stressful days. Hope it gets easier soon!

ATTQOTD: I have not done any holiday races. We have a couple of folks in our club that put on a fun run on Turkey and Xmas Eve called Yam Jam and Nog Jog. These are on a nice 5 mile loop and have two start times, for folks who just want to run 5 or the ones who want 10 can go twice. Some of the runners put up a dehydration station around mile 4 that is usually the highlight of the run.....

ATTQOTD: I love theme runs but they seem to be linked around festivals and time of the year more than around holidays in my area. At least these runs fill the slower weekends.

@LSUlakes that sounds immensely stressful. I've been pretty absent lately here, in my journal and strava because of workload (lots of late nights on my laptop in the dark) and changes as well. I'm looking forward to my run tonight to kinda clear my head.

Attqotd: I love the Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago. 8k is more fun than a 10k or 5k to me :). And you get to run part of the marathon course

ATTQOTD: I love our local Thanksgiving Day Race (10K). It is just an awesome way to kick off the day of over indulgence. I loved Peachtree the two times I did that and would like to do it again. I also like the local Jingle Bell 5k despite the fact that it is the dreaded 5k. It draws a big crowd and they have lots of yummy goodies at the end (and I have won new shoes there a couple of times).

I was able to get off the treadmill and run outside today. The weather hasn't been that horrible but my daughter has the flu. Tomorrow will be day 6 and I am just waiting for my other kids to get it or for me to get it. Worst case would be DH getting it because I can't handle that level of neediness.

Last edited:
Oi. Like others, been fairly absent because I’m slammed at work. Speaking of work, @LSUlakes your situation sounds stressful, hoping things smooth out for you soon.

ATYQOTD: I am not a fan of the color of my NB 1400s. Why did I ask for a pair in the same color for Christmas if I don’t like the neon green? Dunno. Guess I’m just used to it now.

ATTQOTD: We ran Run Under the Lights 5k last year. It’s a night race in a local state park that is all decked out for Christmas, and they close the roads for the race. We did it as a fun run and took our kiddo in the jogging stroller. Super fun way to get in the holiday spirit and great to do it all together, plus chili and hot chocolate at the end! Definitely on my list to repeat this year.

QOTD: What holiday themed race do you enjoy the most? Examples are St. Patrick day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect.
All hometown holiday themed races are so much fun! (I have found I need a good theme for hometown races to distract me from the fact that I'm not at Disney, LOL!) But, I have to agree that my local Turkey Trot is probably my favorite. It's always scheduled for the actual holiday, is a great way to start the day and holiday weekend, and it does make you feel a little bit better about indulging later!

Wait, scratch that...I forgot about the local Black Cat Fun Run! Obviously, it is Halloween themed, family (and dog) friendly, and there are lots of fun costumes. The 5 mile course loops around a park, next to the zoo, and with amazing views of the water. But, the best part is the race is run at night! It's pitch black and they light up the course with glow sticks. You need a headlamp or flashlight. I love it because it reminds me of Wine & Dine. In fact, it was my last "training" race before my first W&D in 2013!

Last edited:
questions:

- no preference on shoe color, as long as my feet feel all right. Not crazy about the color pink, yet my go-to walking around shoes are bright pink, so...

- no preference on holidays either, although I was due to do a turkey trot last year until I got hurt :( was really looking forward to it, too. bummer.

Am dying to get up and move around, especially since I had a full-on pig-out day today (rationalizing it that I've been mostly good lately and haven't been feeling too well, so feeding the beast within by devouring a cheeseburger was really a form of self-care. delusions make life easier.) Luckily, I've got an appointment with my doc next week, hopefully she'll give me a go for training.

I’ve only done a few holiday runs - but our town does a holiday charity run every year in december. We run as a family - so that’s a favorite for sure.

I did a run on New Years Day and really enjoyed it. Felt like a great way to start the year (and that’s saying a lot since it was -13degrees at race time!)

Shoes: I don’t have a preference for shoe colors. I prefer no black because that’s what I wear to work for it really doesn’t matter.

Holidays: the turkey one is a fun atmosphere but the St. Patrick’s one has free beer so it’s a toss up.

QOTD: Does the color of your running shoes bother you?

ATTQOTD: When I first started running it did and I went out of my way to avoid bright colors. I got over all of that shortly after and as long as the shoe feels good I do not care if they are bright pink at this point.

I go for comfort first but I do like my neon green Asics. I am usually a pretty boring person but I like the crazy colored sneakers. My Hoka's are ugly though. I wouldn't have an issue if they were comfortable, but they no longer are so it takes care of that problem.

I prefer to wear loud, obnoxious colors if I can. I did find a pair of mostly black shoes with purple accents by Scott that were incredibly dull but served me well for awhile. They're not comfortable anymore though and they shouldn't be close to worn out. I'm thinking it's the weight that I've put on.

Now I'm in a pair of teal 361s with camouflage overlay. They're still getting broken in but they feel better than the Scotts so far.

:rotfl:

I didn't tell you, I design sneakers in my spare time. (My name is Scott for those of you that don't know)

QOTD: What holiday themed race do you enjoy the most? Examples are St. Patrick day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect.

ATTQOTD: I like the Thanksgiving day turkey trot race. A nice little run before stuffing my face lol.

There is a race I did twice called Finish at the 50. The finish line is the 50 yard line at Gillette Stadium. It's run on July 3rd every year. That's the only holiday themed race I have done.

ATTQOTD: I am an Alabama fan. I will not wear anything orange under any circumstances whatsoever.

so of course this is the shirt for my 10K this week.

DFTB2018.jpg

ATTQOTD: I loved our Turkey trot, and would like to do the halloween and christmas races that go in the series, but am a bit unsure as those two are both evening races, and I have yet to find the willpower to run after 2pm ever. And December in the dark sounds simply miserable, despite holiday cheer of all sorts. But maybe....

QOTD: How much sleep do you need a night during a training cycle to feel like you have recovered enough from one workout to the next?

ATTQOTD: I feel like if I get 7 hours I am good to go. I rarely get that these days, but I can dream right! Even if I can sleep late, I still wake up because I feel guilty for attempting to sleep past 6:30AM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter