The Running Thread - 2018

I am way behind on the thread due to work. Yesterday 4 people in our department were let go, and it isn't over yet. Not sure how soon before they make the final cuts. I will try to catch up as soon as I can, but my primary goal for the next few days will be to get the QOTD posted.

I am way behind on the thread due to work. Yesterday 4 people in our department were let go, and it isn't over yet. Not sure how soon before they make the final cuts. I will try to catch up as soon as I can, but my primary goal for the next few days will be to get the QOTD posted.

So sorry to hear that! Work is more important than here any day! Hope things level out soon.

Yikes! That's so stressful. Don't worry much about the QOTD. We'll survive without out it or find other inane things to talk about. Hope things go okay for you at work!

ATTQOTD: Well, this is tough. I'd have to give the edge to our local Turkey Trot 5K because we run that one with our kids and have for years, so it's a special tradition thing for us. But, close second is our local Shamrox 15K because you get free beer at the end. :D

QOTD: What holiday themed race do you enjoy the most? Examples are St. Patrick day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect.

I'm not a big holiday person and the only holiday race I did is a Turkey Trot, so ... I'll go with Thanksgiving.

Yikes. Sounds super stressful.
Do you want some help with the QOTD? I think I'm only medium busy over the next few days, so I'd be happy to help out!

@LSUlakes good luck with the changes at work! That sounds really stressful and we definitely understand that work has to come first.

As far as the QOTD, I really like holiday themed runs in general! People get really creative with the costumes for them around here :) I did my first Turkey Trot last year and got a pumpkin pie so I appreciated that too.

QOTD: What holiday themed race do you enjoy the most? Examples are St. Patrick day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, ect.

ATTQOTD: I like the Thanksgiving day turkey trot race. A nice little run before stuffing my face lol.
This is a tough question! St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo are coming up which feature two of my favorite local races, plus the weather is generally good for running. Previously, I really loved our July 4th race but I ran that too many times in the extreme heat to run it anymore. I also love a good Turkey Trot or Ugly Christmas Sweater run.... Plus there's the Easter race I ran last spring...So many choices.

Final winner: St. Pat's. The course is flat, there's amazing crowd support, and they serve beer on course.

ATTQOTD: It's a toss-up between the Wicked 10K and Surf'n Santa 5 Miler in Virginia Beach. Similar courses and same company. Wicked falls the Saturday before Halloween and always has a lot of great costumes. Typically perfect weather too. Surf'n Santa begins at 4:30 in the afternoon, and at mile 2 we turn onto the Boardwalk which is a drive-thru Christmas lights display this time of year (obviously cars are not allowed on until after the race ends). It's not dark enough to fully take in the lights, but it's fun. They also have cookies at the halfway aid station, which is always fun. In 2016, they gave everyone Santa suits at packet pick-up, which is day of the race. They requested everyone wear them in order to break the World Record for most running Santas (they did), and they did it again in 2017. It's pretty fun to see the drone footage of the race.

I am not really a holiday racer, but always like to go for a run on Thanksgiving!
Hope everything at work settles down for you!

Back then it was long hair and short shorts. Now it's short hair and long shorts!
I'm thankful that some trends don't pass the test of time... ;)

I have not done it yet, but I would like to do the Feaster Five as everyone gets a free pie at the end. We are never home Thanksgiving day morning so I haven't had the chance to do this yet. Maybe this year.

Also I am currently planning a summer trip to Ireland. If anyone has been, what are some things that are must see? We will have a car so getting there is not an issue.

I hope things work our for you. Sorry about all the people that are dealing with layoffs.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a thread about how I create a custom running training plan (link).
I read through it last night during my economics class. It was really interesting to get more specifics on things.

ATTQOTD: It's a toss-up between the Wicked 10K and Surf'n Santa 5 Miler in Virginia Beach. Similar courses and same company. Wicked falls the Saturday before Halloween and always has a lot of great costumes. Typically perfect weather too. Surf'n Santa begins at 4:30 in the afternoon, and at mile 2 we turn onto the Boardwalk which is a drive-thru Christmas lights display this time of year (obviously cars are not allowed on until after the race ends). It's not dark enough to fully take in the lights, but it's fun. They also have cookies at the halfway aid station, which is always fun. In 2016, they gave everyone Santa suits at packet pick-up, which is day of the race. They requested everyone wear them in order to break the World Record for most running Santas (they did), and they did it again in 2017. It's pretty fun to see the drone footage of the race.

Since you seem to be in the VA beach area have you done the Christmastown Race at Busch Gardens? I've done wicked twice and enjoyed it, but we are never in town for Surfin Santa or Christmastown.

So sorry to hear that! Work is more important than here any day! Hope things level out soon.
THIS. @LSUlakes we appreciate all you do, but we can't pay your bills! ;) Hope things stop being super crazy for you soon!!

ATTQOTD: I like any themed race (holiday or not) that gives me an excuse to wear a fun running costume! But Turkey Trots are always good because food. I think I could get down on a Cinco De Mayo race that ends in tacos and margaritas though.

Cinqo de Mayo! A local brewery holds their Santo de Mayo 5K run, complete with free beer and free breakfast burritos, every year on the weekend closest to Cinqo de Mayo. The artwork for the Santo beer label and the race t-shirts is done by Carlos Hernandez, better known for his Day of the Dead Rock Stars paintings. We have this one hanging in our house.

il_570xN.82132025.jpg

ATTQOTD: Can't go wrong with St. Patrick's Day, especially when the race ends with a free pint from the sponsoring local brewery

I have yet to do a true holiday themed run. The closest I've gotten has been running thru the Osborne lights during the abbreviated 2015 Wine and Dine half. The next one that's coming up here is called The Lucky Run and it's St. Patrick's Day themed. It used to offer 7 miles, 7k or 5k...now it's either 5k or 10k. Not sure if I'm doing this one yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter