The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: How much sleep do you need a night during a training cycle to feel like you have recovered enough from one workout to the next?

I function best between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, especially during training cycles.

I become cranky at 5 hours.

Cinqo de Mayo! A local brewery holds their Santo de Mayo 5K run, complete with free beer and free breakfast burritos, every year on the weekend closest to Cinqo de Mayo. The artwork for the Santo beer label and the race t-shirts is done by Carlos Hernandez, better known for his Day of the Dead Rock Stars paintings. We have this one hanging in our house.

View attachment 300543

How about that. We live in the same town. I was thinking about doing this 5-K this year as well!

ATTQOTD: I find as long as I'm getting 7 hours or so of sleep I'm fine. I actually have a hard time sleeping longer than that. Years ago I suffered from weekend migraines due to changes in my sleep pattern (sleeping late on the weekends) and ended up setting an alarm at my normal waking time to avoid them. I haven't had to worry about that in a long time, but I find that on the weekends I automatically wake up at my normal time (or before) and can't get back to sleep so I just get up and get an early start to the weekend.

QOTD: How much sleep do you need a night during a training cycle to feel like you have recovered enough from one workout to the next?
I don’t really tend to change my sleep during training at all. Obviously some nights are better than others. I try to maintain 7-8 hours but sometimes that doesn’t happen and sometimes I sleep longer than that.

Sleep, or lack thereof, is my greatest training failure. Given my work schedule and responsibilities I almost always have to train early which means up at 5:00 a.m. Monday spin starts at 5:45 and Tuesday/Thursday/Friday swim starts at 5:30.

I probably need 8-8.5 hours but usually get no more than 6. It all catches up to me by Thursday.

ATTQOTD: haha sleep. I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours on any given night. I swear my child slept better as a baby. Now I constantly have an almost 7 year old staring at me in the middle of the night because (pick any excuse) monsters, noises, need water, the list doesn't end. I will say sleep deprived running can be pretty entertaining.

ATTQOTD (Tuesday) : I have done both a Jingle Bell Run 5K and the local equivalent of a Turkey Trot ( Run Thru the Woods) Thanksgiving morning. Overall I think I enjoyed the Turkey Trot more. Makes me feel a little less guilty about all I'm going to eat later that day!! :rotfl2:

ATTQOTD today: Sleep, what is sleep? I work 12 hour night shifts that are rarely in any organized schedule so I have adopted the sleep when you can motto. That being said I'm happiest if I have around 8 hours.

So behind on everything on disboards!

ATTQOTD:

Shoes - I am picky about color. I like flashy, but not too flashy. My favorite color is blue so I tend to gravitate towards shoes with blue on them.

Holiday Races - I have never run one, but I will next month for a St. Patrick's day fundraiser.

Sleep - I function best in all areas of life with a routine sleep schedule. I am up early everyday (even weekends) so it's pretty easy for me to fall asleep. I get between 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

ATTQOTD: Yep, add me to the "What's sleep?" camp. Sleep was forever ruined for me when I had my first baby. I sleep in a constant "one ear open" mode. My day typically starts at 5:20 am and ends around 11:30 pm. I am thrilled if I can get 6 hours sleep, but 5 is more typical. I tend to feel it in the afternoon when I am so tired.

Somewhere in the 6-8 hour range is what keeps me rested enough to get through the tough workouts. Really, though, it's more about the quality of sleep than the hours. Six hours of solid sleep is better than eight of waking up several times during the night.

How about that. We live in the same town. I was thinking about doing this 5-K this year as well!

It's a good race with great amenities.

ATTQOTD: I average 5-6 hours a night. I went through a phase where it was never straight. Still getting 5-6 hours, but just an hour or two in between an hour of being awake. Luckily worked through that and I’m sleeping through the night. 7+ hours makes me groggy, so this is my normal. If time allows, I will take a nap after a run of any distance. 20 minutes to an hour makes me feel recovered.

I am someone who thrives off of more sleep (8-9 hours), but rarely get that because I prioritize other things. My minimum amount of sleep to still function is 6.5 hrs, anything less than that and I really struggle.

I need sleep. It's one of my top priorities whether or not I'm training. I did make a change while training for the marathon and now go to bed at 9 instead of 10. The big problem is that I'm physically not capable of sleeping in. It's a minor miracle if I sleep until 7.

jd1Nm.gif

I've always needed relatively little sleep so I could survive on 5 to 6. I wonder if there is a genetic component to this because both my grandma (at 91) and mom (pushing 70) have always slept way less than 8 hours and are healthy for their ages.

Of course those 5 or 6 need to be continuous to really make me refreshed and I have a 1 year old so that isn't always possible.

ATTQOTD: Between 6-7 hours is my magic number and I usually get that. (I like that my fitbit tracks my sleep.) If I over sleep it takes me longer to get moving on my day and if I get less than that it's probably because alcohol was involved and my sleep was terrible and now I have to deal with a 5 year old while I am sleep deprived. Because my long runs fall on Saturday and Sunday, I tend to try to wake up pretty early and knock them out of the way in the morning. It doesn't always work, but it keeps me on a better sleep schedule. Weekdays I am up at 5am for my workouts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter