What Thanksgiving side dishes are usually at your table?

We go pretty traditional:

Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Candied Yams (Personal Specialty)
Dressing
Carolina Caviar (It's like a black eyed pea salad thing)
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Rolls
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Cornbread dressing
Gravy
Homemade cranberry sauce
Sweet potato casserole
Dumplings
Roasted fall veggies
Broccoli casserole
7 Layer salad
Fruit salad

Sweet potato pie
Pecan pie
Chocolate pie

And this year I need to figure out a way to add green beans. Dd's bf doesn't eat any vegetables except green beans and I always have everyone's favorite on the table. We don't eat green beans much and definitely not green bean casserole.
I have been doing green beans in the crock pot recently with some salt, pepper, and bacon pieces(the real ones, not bacon bits), or just use bacon that I've cooked and crumbled??? Its pretty good and easy.

At my mom's house:
Mom always puts out 7 layer dip as we are prepping

Along with the turkey:
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Cornbread dressing
Sweet potato casserole (the one with the brow sugar pecan topping)
Broccoli casserole
green salad
cheese and veggie trays
pecan pie
sweet potato pie
Caramel cake (my grandma's signature)

At DH's mom's:
Usually a baked Bree and some other dip out for snacking

with turkey:
cornbread dressing
oyster dressing
green salad with strawberry and vinaigrette
baked sweet potatoes
au gratin potatoes
usually at least 3 desserts. Different every year

Our son and his family host dinner at their house. This year they are providing the turkey along with bourbon baked beans and dinner rolls.

I'm taking two large pans of cheesy potatoes (at their request) and I may take cranberry sauce. We never have that and I always miss it.

DD is taking a salad and green bean casserole.

Our granddaughter (DS's wife's daughter - she's 15) wants to make dessert. :)

We've had more side dishes in the past but always have too many leftovers so it was decided to pare it down a bit this year.

Our sides have decreased in number over the years as well.

Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato casserole
Gravy
Stuffing (well, to be accurate, dressing)
Green veggie (usually broccoli, sometimes green beans)
Cranberry sauce (homemade)
Rolls and butter

About every other year I make scalloped oysters, but it never comes out like my mom's and grandmother's. This is not the year I'm attempting it.

Should we find that leaving extra plastic quart jars/ tops and Glad flat containers on the buffet table still leaves us with too much excess, it's off to a local shelter for our leftovers. Rarely happens but nice to know there are options that help feed others. I think I stated up post on this thread or maybe another, I roast 3 small turkeys for the guests, but I always cook a 4th for a local homeless shelter.

Turkey
Stovetop dressing and/or cornbread with walnuts dressing
green beans
mashed potatoes with homemade gravy (yeah, giblet gravy)
roasted squash
cranberry orange relish
canned cranberry jelly (for the father-in-law, who is the ONLY one who eats it)
pillsbury crescent rolls
butternut squash apple soup
pies (usually apple along with pumpkin, maybe sweet potato)
ice cream

Salad
Vegetable tray
Cheese and crackers
Shrimp
Salad
Lasagna
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Stuffing
Homemade cranberry sauce
Corn
Cole slaw
Roasted Brussels sprouts with cranberries
Asparagus

Obviously WAY too much- but tradition and everybody's favorites

I just looked up watergate salad...is it good? Also, TOTALLY not what I was expecting!
What were you expecting? Lol. My sister-in-law brings this every year and my son and I are the only ones who won't touch it. My husband's side of the family gobbles it up! They love it.

We are pretty traditional, but being originally from New England that isn't surpising.

Large selection of nuts
Home made mashed potatoes
Home made yams
Roasted butternut squash (and no, without any marshmallows - we serve the true version, which was a staple in the 17th century Plymouth Colony and is our tradition as a household of Mayflower descendants)
Two to three different stuffings (one traditional bread based, another with cranberries and almonds, and a third one containing oysters which we make only if one of my cousins who loves that is going to be with us).
Home made rolls
Home made giblet gravy
Home made cranberry sauce

Desserts are usually home made apple and pumpkin pies, served with the only store bought element that gets on the table (vanilla ice cream from the local Cold Stone).

The Turkey is a large, fresh one we get two to three days before Thanksgiving from a local supplier.

We save the green beans (French sliced with almonds) for Christmas dinner; feel they go better with the prime rib and Yorkshire pudding we have for that meal.

We are pretty traditional, but being originally from New England that isn't surpising.

Large selection of nuts
Home made mashed potatoes
Home made yams
Roasted butternut squash (and no, without any marshmallows - we serve the true version, which was a staple in the 17th century Plymouth Colony and is our tradition as a household of Mayflower descendants)
Two to three different stuffings (one traditional bread based, another with cranberries and almonds, and a third one containing oysters which we make only if one of my cousins who loves that is going to be with us).
Home made rolls
Home made giblet gravy
Home made cranberry sauce

Desserts are usually home made apple and pumpkin pies, served with the only store bought element that gets on the table (vanilla ice cream from the local Cold Stone).

The Turkey is a large, fresh one we get two to three days before Thanksgiving from a local supplier.

We save the green beans (French sliced with almonds) for Christmas dinner; feel they go better with the prime rib we have for that meal.
I still recall my mother piercing butternut or acorn squash with a knife with bated breath, LOL. She loved roasting either...one for butternut soup and acorn as a side dish. I seem to recall she oftimes coated the acorn squash with brown sugar but I removed the sugar topping to get to the heart of the veggie's pulp.
Nowadays it's easy enough to buy pre cut and peeled butternut but not acorn squash:).
Wish I could make a piecrust as flaky as my Nana's but I can't so it's store-bought for me.
Kudos to you and yours for keeping the tradition alive!
Oh and green beans, blanched and sauteed show up at every family celebration except maybe 4th of July.... No GBs would call for a revolt:cool:.

I still recall my mother piercing butternut or acorn squash with a knife with bated breath, LOL. She loved roasting either...one for butternut soup and acorn as a side dish. I seem to recall she oftimes coated the acorn squash with brown sugar but I removed the sugar topping to get to the heart of the veggie's pulp.
Nowadays it's easy enough to buy pre cut and peeled butternut but not acorn squash:).
Wish I could make a piecrust as flaky as my Nana's but I can't so it's store-bought for me.
Kudos to you and yours for keeping the tradition alive!
Oh and green beans, blanched and sauteed show up at every family celebration except maybe 4th of July.... No GBs would call for a revolt:cool:.

The brown sugar is an interesting addition and thanks for mentioning the acorn squash, we should look into adding that. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter