Who feels very smug right now owning DVC after looking at 2008 rates!

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
A close look at the Mousesaver rates for 2008 makes me happier than ever that I own DVC.

$165 for one night at Pop! Ya gotta be kidding.

So, let all the hand-wringers snipe and snip about how DVC and timeshares aren't a good deal, with their Excel spread sheets. While they are paying about a grand for a week crammed in a Pop Room, I'll be sitting in my Jacuzzi with a margarita, while DS sleeps in his OWN ROOM.

So glad I took the plunge in 1996!

Wow!:scared1: I remember when we could stay at Dixie Landings (as it was called then) for under $100/night without any discounts. Am I ever glad we bought DVC!

Wow!:scared1: I remember when we could stay at Dixie Landings (as it was called then) for under $100/night without any discounts. Am I ever glad we bought DVC!

Yeah! We stayed on $99 rates at the Beach Club and later Vero when they opened.

A close look at the Mousesaver rates for 2008 makes me happier than ever that I own DVC.

$165 for one night at Pop! Ya gotta be kidding.

So, let all the hand-wringers snipe and snip about how DVC and timeshares aren't a good deal, with their Excel spread sheets. While they are paying about a grand for a week crammed in a Pop Room, I'll be sitting in my Jacuzzi with a margarita, while DS sleeps in his OWN ROOM.

So glad I took the plunge in 1996!

I am just amazed by the new rates. :scared1: It looks like the resorts are taking a page from DVC by making many of the weekend nights higher than the week nights.

I love being a DVC member, but where do you get POP for $165 per night. I checked our dates for next January and POP priced out at $82 per night. Still don't want to stay there, but that's not a bad price at all.

This made me laugh a little. Over on the resorts board there is a thread complaining about the price increase (happens every time they raise the price) and people are screaming "buy into DVC". Last month they were ready to burn dvc'ers at the stake because they felt every one's AKL vacations were ruined because of "the evil, selfish dvc people"

I agree!!! DVC is the way to go. We remember getting WL for the price of POP now. We are soooo happy to be DVC members!!!

Cyndi

I love being a DVC member, but where do you get POP for $165 per night. I checked our dates for next January and POP priced out at $82 per night. Still don't want to stay there, but that's not a bad price at all.

President's Day weekend, Easter, July 4th, etc.

There are still OK deals there. But then you are still stuck in a tiny pop room.

Tonight, I just booked a value studio at AKV for 21 points for Sat. night of President's Day weekend. I thought I would NEVER pay points for a weekend night, but now I'm at AKV, and they will help us move to our 2 BR savannah view on Sunday. :woohoo: After 22 hours in the car, I can't wait to hear "Welcome Home" at check-in!
I love my DVC!

The year before we bought DVC we had two connecting Lagoon view rooms at the Poly for Easter week. In 2008 those same rooms would cost us over $9,000.00 for the week. Instead we will be staying at the BCV in a comfortable 2BR villa. Yes I'm glad I bought DVC!!!!!!:thumbsup2

HBC

Tonight, I just booked a value studio at AKV for 21 points for Sat. night of President's Day weekend. I thought I would NEVER pay points for a weekend night, but now I'm at AKV, and they will help us move to our 2 BR savannah view on Sunday. :woohoo: After 22 hours in the car, I can't wait to hear "Welcome Home" at check-in!
I love my DVC!

RT, That's a great way to go. It hurts to use weekend points, but we do and we never regret it once there. Especially when you have a van full of stuff and dont want to leave it in the car overnight at an offsite hotel.

Jodi, I gave up on the spreadsheeters long ago. I love my DVC and it enhances my quality of life moreso than any other purchase we have made, even Thelma (my Ody van):rotfl:

And yep, POP rooms are very small. Not even with Free Dining I didnt want to go back. The thought of that little bed gives me the shakes:scared1:

I don't know if I feel smug, but I am very glad and very grateful we bought! :cool1: Before we bought, we didn't vacation regularly. Now, I know we'll get in at least one nice vacation a year.

We realized at some point that DVC would be paying off for us in comparison to what other rooms would cost in the future. With that kind of pricing, that moment may have arrived for us. I feel for folks who have to pay those kinds of prices, but I am glad that we own DVC. One, for the fact that we wont be forced to pay the higher prices, and two, we will get wonderful accomodations where we can definitely relax.

Wow, I just priced out what my Summer lodging (that I hope to book once my resale closes) would cost at either Pop or POR. Whoa that is more than I paid last year at peak season at POR!!! Holy cow!!

I am happy too!!! :goodvibes And more happy about my add-on!!! :thumbsup2

And sorry to say, but I feel a little better knowing those paying cash might have to pay more for weekends too. After all, we have to use more points! And I know in the past, we've paid more at Marriotts when we've stayed over weekend nights.

Back in 1997, we went to WDW w/our oldest DS. He was 2 1/2 at the time. It cost us $2700. to stay in the WL w/a courtyard view for 9 nts. We thought that we wouldn't be back to WDW for many more years due to how expensive the vacation was. On the last day of our trip, we purchased our DVC ownership due to how much we fell in love with Disney. Since then, we have been able to take our now 3 children (DS12, DD8, DS5) every year (once to twice a year). They have grown up with WDW being our "home away from home"! It has been one of the best decisions that we have ever made!!!

I know this is OT, but has anyone speculated how the new pricing at the hotels might affect demand at the hotels? Or does everyone assume that since the hotels have been basically full that the new pricing won't change that?

I think Disney has a pretty good feel that tourism and convention visits are climbing back up at Disney. The articles about extending the Million Dreams referenced the increase in park traffic that they've seen this year. They held back on increases in the years following 9/11/2000 but it looks like they're headed back to the year to year increases they had prior.

I only had time tonight to take a quick look at how things have increased at OKW. For fun....

Rack rates at OKW have increased from 36%-106% since 1997. In dollars (pre-tax), increases range from $76 to $785 per night.

DVC dues for the same time period went up 39% or $1.23 per point.

So, one weeknight in the Grand Villa at Christmas would cost a DVC member an additional $81. The cash customer is now paying $785 dollars more per night (plus $197 tax). For a regular season studio, the difference is about $14 more per night in dues costs -- versus an $86 per night increase (38% plus an additional $38 for tax)

I'd say...so far so good for DVC! Below is OKW 1997 vs. 2008
There was no "holiday" pricing in 1997 - it would cost the same as peak

Value Regular Peak Holiday*
$Increase
% Increase

Studio $76 $86 $126 $166
36% 38% 52% 66%

1 Bed $95 $125 $180 $255
33% 41% 56% 80%

2 Bed $140 $220 $340 $450
36% 54% 80% 106%

GV $345 $460 $615 $785
42% 54% 72% 91%

I calculated our 1 Grand Villa and 9 studios would have cost us $3k a night for our reunion if we had paid cash. We stayed 4 nights!

Then we moved into a 1 bedroom for another 10 nights after that. No way we could even think of doing all that without DVC and going back for Christmas:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter