Disney extending 60 day FP to non disney resorts

I don't blame you for being upset. Just don't expect you voicing your opinion to change a thing. The hundreds of people that you speak to do not come close to comparing to the amount of guaranteed customers they just got. I just bought into DVC this past summer. I am most definately not thrilled, but I understand why they would do this. The best thing to do is to first off just relax about it. It may only add 100 or so fastpasses per day, if even that. If traffic shifts from the on-site hotels to these, and then those on site rooms do not sell, nothing is lost in terms of fastpasses. I highly doubt a ton of people will want to pay $170 a night to stay off property, just for the fastpasses. Some, sure, but most will find it not worth the hassle.
Even if things do drastically change fastpasses, this is where being a DVC member is so nice. Just slow your trips down and do less rides in a day. There is so much else to do in the parks, it should not be too big of an issue with all of the new E-Ticket rides being added over the next few years.
If Disney does find that this negatively affects them too badly, I am sure that they will pull this perk back.
Honestly, I wish they would give DVC members a couple more FP’s a day and I wouldn’t care. It wouldn’t cost them anything and would be a huge selling point. Especially, if they made it a direct only perk.

Actually, extra FP+ might cost DVC something. Relationship between DVC and the resorts unit and the theme park unit is not the same as the resort relationship with theme parks across the board. To date, DVC has had the same perks as other on-site guests, but that's negotiated and not something that just comes with the territory.

Honestly, I wish they would give DVC members a couple more FP’s a day and I wouldn’t care. It wouldn’t cost them anything and would be a huge selling point. Especially, if they made it a direct only perk.

I have a feeling they are going to meet us in the middle with something like that. An extra fastpass takes something away from others, then you have a hoard who is much larger than the DVC community, but who is equally upset. Rather, I see them going with more special lounges or late night events, plus something like a TSA precheck for security lines. A little something to still make DVC members special, all while getting more assured customers from the other hotels.

Actually, extra FP+ might cost DVC something. Relationship between DVC and the resorts unit and the theme park unit is not the same as the resort relationship with theme parks across the board. To date, DVC has had the same perks as other on-site guests, but that's negotiated and not something that just comes with the territory.

I really doubt they would take away the fastpass perk for DVC members. It would tank the value of DVC contracts, making the resale market crash, meaning nobody would buy DVC direct, and the whole money train would grind to a halt. Not to mention those fastpasses are guaranteeing Disney that we will show up in their parks at a specific time on a specific day.

Personally I am not too concerned about this.

We, as DVC members, are on the inside looking out. We need to look at this from the outside looking in.

The question I pose is: On the surface, what makes the Swan and Dolphin any different than the Disney Springs Resort Area hotels? They are all...
  • ...on WDW property. Meaning you have to pass through "Welcome to Walt Disney World" signs to get there. To those uneducated on WDW, I don't blame them for assuming this is what "on property" means.
  • ...available to be booked using points from their respected hotel chains.
  • ...designated "Official Walt Disney World Hotel" in some form or another.
Yet the Swan and Dolphin both get all the benefits of a Disney resort without actually being a Disney hotel, while the others do not. 60 day fastpasses, and EMH all not available to those at DS area.

Let's look at this from another general public point of view. If you're planning a once in a lifetime vacation, and see that the Buena Vista Palace is an "Official Walt Disney World Hotel", wouldn't you think you should have all the benefits of staying on property? Until now, that has not been the case.

I can only imagine the frustration or disappointment of someone realizing that the DS Resort Area hotels are treated as second class citizens even though they are given an official designation and technically "on property".

I really doubt they would take away the fastpass perk for DVC members. It would tank the value of DVC contracts, making the resale market crash, meaning nobody would buy DVC direct, and the whole money train would grind to a halt. Not to mention those fastpasses are guaranteeing Disney that we will show up in their parks at a specific time on a specific day.
I am not speaking to taking away, just that there may be cost.

That said, I would suspect the granting of FP to other hotels, or any negotiation of "extra" FP for any population is one that gets escalated above individual unit decision.

I don't blame you for being upset. Just don't expect you voicing your opinion to change a thing. The hundreds of people that you speak to do not come close to comparing to the amount of guaranteed customers they just got. I just bought into DVC this past summer. I am most definately not thrilled, but I understand why they would do this. The best thing to do is to first off just relax about it. It may only add 100 or so fastpasses per day, if even that. If traffic shifts from the on-site hotels to these, and then those on site rooms do not sell, nothing is lost in terms of fastpasses. I highly doubt a ton of people will want to pay $170 a night to stay off property, just for the fastpasses. Some, sure, but most will find it not worth the hassle.
Even if things do drastically change fastpasses, this is where being a DVC member is so nice. Just slow your trips down and do less rides in a day.
There is so much else to do in the parks, it should not be too big of an issue with all of the new E-Ticket rides being added over the next few years.
If Disney does find that this negatively affects them too badly, I am sure that they will pull this perk back.

^^ agree. Fwiw - granted it's just my experience, but I didn't notice until early afternoon today that my 60 day FP+ window had opened today. I was already pretty much resigned to not being able to get any FOP FPs, but surprise, surprise, we did! In the time it took me to figure out which other days we might go to AK, however, the FOP FP were gone for the second day. But I had my choice of times for FOP in the middle of President's week.

Also - first part of our stay, I'm staying at the Dolphin on hotel points. Which is why I forgot about the FP+ window opening - because even though it's linked in MDE, I was relying on the counter on my DVC Dashboard. So - expect many guests at the Disney Good Neighbor hotels to not quite be on the ball on this either. Even if they get an email a day later reminding them to book FP+, it's not like they'll be the competition at 8am 60 days out trying to get FOP. And this will only get easier as more new rides are added. I think we have 5 FP (one for every MK day!) for 7DMT, at our choice of times.

I highly doubt a ton of people will want to pay $170 a night to stay off property, just for the fastpasses. Some, sure, but most will find it not worth the hassle.
Even if things do drastically change fastpasses, this is where being a DVC member is so nice. Just slow your trips down and do less rides in a day. There is so much else to do in the parks, it should not be too big of an issue with all of the new E-Ticket rides being added over the next few years.

I agree to this to a point. Do those hotels book at max capacity all year? Those looking to stay off site to save money are not looking at those hotels they are getting fully out of the world.

While I don't fully love the idea, room inventory is down for WDW with all the refurbs and DVC takeovers. This is cheaper for them then to build a whole new hotel which would also increase fastpass.

The question I pose is: On the surface, what makes the Swan and Dolphin any different than the Disney Springs Resort Area hotels? They are all...
  • ...on WDW property. Meaning you have to pass through "Welcome to Walt Disney World" signs to get there. To those uneducated on WDW, I don't blame them for assuming this is what "on property" means.
  • ...available to be booked using points from their respected hotel chains.
  • ...designated "Official Walt Disney World Hotel" in some form or another.

One thing I'll note: It appears these hotels must be booked via Disney Travel to receive the benefit. In other words, Disney has to receive the TA commission for it to qualify. So points bookings (via the hotel chain direct) won't work for the benefit. So I think this won't eliminate that level of confusion.

If you are into collecting points and miles you were probably already using points to book the Swan and Dolphin. If you book the Swan and Dolphin with SPG points you do get the 60 days fp+. I do this when I am low on DVC points or want to save them for a non-WDW trip.

I wonder what percentage of the rooms at these hotels are actually booked through Disney Travel and if the price of doing so are significantly higher than booking through other discounted third party sites?

One thing I'll note: It appears these hotels must be booked via Disney Travel to receive the benefit. In other words, Disney has to receive the TA commission for it to qualify. So points bookings (via the hotel chain direct) won't work for the benefit. So I think this won't eliminate that level of confusion.

I don't think this is the case. A visit to the Buena Vista Palace website advertises the new benefits, but doesn't specify that it needs to be booked via Disney.

One thing I do see is that the resort fees are higher than I remember them being. Perhaps that is where Disney is getting their cut?

Here is the information my TA shared with me based on an email she received from Disney

For 2018, we are also extending some benefits that are currently available to Disney Resort hotel Guests and Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel Guests. Each Guest, with a valid theme park admission, staying at one of the Disney Springs Resort Area hotels, which are designated Official WALT DISNEY WORLD hotels will be extended these benefits. The Disney Spring Resort Area hotels include: B Resort & Spa; Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort; DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando; Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista Palace; Hilton Orlando Resort Lake Buena Vista; Holiday Inn Orlando; Wyndham Lake Buena Vista; and Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista.

Beginning Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2018, Guests at any of these Official WALT DISNEY WORLD hotels, with a valid theme park ticket, can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours benefit as each day, one of the four Walt Disney World Theme Parks opens early or extends later for Guests to enjoy select attractions.

Scheduled to begin Jan. 10, 2018, Guests at these Official WALT DISNEY WORLD hotels, who have booked a package reservation for the hotel through a Walt Disney Travel Company package, will be able to link their hotel reservation on My Disney Experience, and with a linked, valid theme park ticket, these Guests can utilize a 60-day booking window for FastPass+ selections. These are benefits that are already available to Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel Guests.

My TA also mentioned that a dining card will be available to purchase for quick service options only and doesn't have to be for the entire stay of the hotel. Again it would have to be booked as a package through Walt Disney Travel Company for these DS hotels to qualify for this option.

There are a finite number of FastPasses that can be issued on any given day. Give more to DVC owners and ultimately you're taking capacity away from hotel guests, day guests or some other group. That's the "cost" to Disney. As soon as they dedicate more system-wide capacity to DVC owners, it increases the likelihood that locals will refuse to renew their APs, hotel guests no longer see the value of staying onsite (or "partner" hotels) and those visiting for just a day decide not to return because "nothing was available" when they arrived.

Interesting wording in that press release. People who book the non-Disney hotels THROUGH WDW Travel will get the 60 day fastpasses, but everyone at those hotels will get extra magic hours.
So that means SSR buses are going to be loaded with lots of non-SSR guests to get back to the Disney Springs hotels because their buses aren't running that late.

They already have made a return on this investment. The majority of it was in the RFID technology that we willingly wear on our wrists in the form of magicbands. They found a way to track our every movement and purchase within the parks, all linked to our demographic information, and have us love it due to the tradeoff of skipping a couple of lines and not needing to carry a wallet. Information that they have gathered have allowed them to figure out when to add new events such as the Flower and Garden Festival, and has led to parks running a lot fuller year round than they were just 5 years ago.
When it comes to theme parks, Disney knows what they are doing. IF they find it benefits them to charge for fastpasses, then they will do so. It would be foolish for them to announce any moves ahead of time, though. Stating that they have already done so as fact is both lazy and fear mongering.

Hi
I am pretty sure Epcot Flower and Garden Festival is not exactly a "New Event"

Maybe 1994
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epcot
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...e-epcot-international-flower-garden-festival/

Regards
Mel

You are correct, I meant the Festival of the Arts. Same point, just a different festival name.
Add the fact that they are extending the festivals that used to be a week or two, to almost three months because they are so popular with guests.

Next year, Walt Disney World will implement a fee-based FastPass+ program, comparable to what has already gone into effect at the Disneyland Resort. The days of free FastPasses is coming to an end and this move is intended to familiarize Good Neighbor Hotel guests with the system, prior to the fee implementation.

Also, DVC members will not be getting free FastPasses. Our offering will be comparable to that of Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter